Missouri Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
molazapuku

Re: Missouri Class of 2015

Postby molazapuku » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:15 am

Sat in on a torts class? The new torts teacher is fantastic, you will definitely see more engaged students in that class. As far as admitted student events...every such event I went to was basically the same. Sit in on a class, get a little thing about money, then socialize for a bit. Not sure what else I would expect, but I guess its one of those things that can just rub you the wrong way (sometimes you just get a vibe, cant explain it but it is a very real thing).

I can see where coming in on the wrong day could give you a bad impression...last Wednesday I guess it was I noticed people just seemed tired for some reason. I guess you get over the midterm hump, and have that little period of "bleh" before you gear back up for memo and finals.

I would second everything said above, but add that even if one DOESNT get in-state rate the first year you get it the second and third years. MO is pretty loosely-goosey with in-state tuition rules and they are not hard to meet.

One thing I think you will find is that Mizzou students and admissions folks are just NICE. I think that may play into the whole "not engaged" thing, too...its not a competitive slit-the-other guys throat type of environment. People easily gather, talk, share, and collaborate. Even people like me, who tend to be very introverted.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:17 am

Well, hopefully one of those steps is increasing scholarship offers. I'm quite easily purchased. :)

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:26 am

Any suggestions on what I should check out in CoMo other than the law school to get a greater understanding of what I'd be getting into if I went to Mizzou?

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:09 am

CoMo pretty much is Mizzou. There's a mall, a few restaurants, and a small version of downtown. But, that's pretty much it.

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:49 am

Depends on what you are into, really. If you like the college town bar scene, downtown is a nice place to walk around. There are some neat boutique shops as well (my favorite is the little tobacco shop, where I buy my cigars). Overall, though, the charm of Columbia is that it is small enough that people are friendly and you don't feel oppressed but big enough to have essentially all of the city stuff you would expect. And anything else you could want is 2 hours east or 2 hours west.

For me and mine, besides the campus we just drove around a bit and looked at the main roads. We decided it was an easy place to see ourselves living. But my case is almost certainly driven by other considerations.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:57 am

Check out Flat Branch Pub and Brewery. It's not too far from the school, has great food and some phenomenal beers on tap. It might be my favorite place in all of Columbia.

kams

Postby kams » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:12 am

CPM723 wrote:Any suggestions on what I should check out in CoMo other than the law school to get a greater understanding of what I'd be getting into if I went to Mizzou?

I'd just drive around the town and see how you like it. I spent time doing undergrad there, and it definitely is not the place to be if you are from a major city. It's a pretty small place with not that many things to do, but in law school the social scene isn't that important anyways. It can be a cozy little place though, especially since majority of Columbia is very accessible by car.

rachelkatelyn

Postby rachelkatelyn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Ford Prefect wrote:Check out Flat Branch Pub and Brewery. It's not too far from the school, has great food and some phenomenal beers on tap. It might be my favorite place in all of Columbia.

Agreed. Flat Branch is great. So is Addison's, and I highly recommend Broadway Brewery as well.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:12 pm

rachelkatelyn wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:Check out Flat Branch Pub and Brewery. It's not too far from the school, has great food and some phenomenal beers on tap. It might be my favorite place in all of Columbia.

Agreed. Flat Branch is great. So is Addison's, and I highly recommend Broadway Brewery as well.

Addison's...is that the place with the great nachos?

I've heard things about Broadway Brewery but I've never been. Supposedly there's a wine bar in town with a Monday night martini special. I'll probably try that soon.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:14 pm

FWIW, Broadway Brewery is the best.

Submitted yesterday, received and complete today. Pretty sweet.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:29 pm

Can you live close enough to campus to walk to class?

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:33 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:FWIW, Broadway Brewery is the best.

Pocahontas is hot.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:54 pm

CPM723 wrote:Can you live close enough to campus to walk to class?

Yes. There are several places in the area, but I live about 10 minutes (driving) south of campus.

Good luck.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:55 pm

Ginj wrote:

Pocahontas is hot.

Oh Ariel, you fishy vixen.

CPM723 wrote:Can you live close enough to campus to walk to class?

Definitely possible.

And, thanks Ford!

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:11 pm

It is not terribly hard to find a place within walking distance. I am on the outside part of walking distance...relatively easy biking distance if I wasn't so dad-gum lazy. And I was very restricted in terms of what I could take...pretty much had to be large house.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:15 pm

Are there apartment complexes that are affordable close to the law school, or is it more expensive due to its proximity?

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:33 pm

CPM723 wrote:Are there apartment complexes that are affordable close to the law school, or is it more expensive due to its proximity?

It's proximity to the school in general, although some of the graduate housing is within a mile of the law school, so on many days those are well within walking distance. I'm thinking of moving to one of those next year.

The convenience of the law school is that it's right next to the student center (with the bookstores and food court) and 9th Street (bars/restaurants/coffee houses/Shakespeare's Pizza). Even if you don't live right next to campus, our parking garage is on the edge of campus near 9th, so I use it whenever I'm going into downtown Columbia or parking for games. It's convenient and free (well, I paid for the pass, but whatever).

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Ok, midterm came back today (good luck, Ford...whoever the heck you are). I promised that if I did badly I would tell you to take my advice with a grain of salt.

I am semi-proud to report I did pretty good, and I probably take things less seriously than most ('specially this class). Not top 10%...but solidly above median. I continue to believe you can maintain a life outside of law school and still do pretty darn good...its just a matter of finding the right balance.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Good to hear. Do you have any idea where you want to practice after law school?

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:20 pm

molazapuku wrote:Ok, midterm came back today (good luck, Ford...whoever the heck you are). I promised that if I did badly I would tell you to take my advice with a grain of salt.

I am semi-proud to report I did pretty good, and I probably take things less seriously than most ('specially this class). Not top 10%...but solidly above median. I continue to believe you can maintain a life outside of law school and still do pretty darn good...its just a matter of finding the right balance.

Blech...need to study more.

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:21 pm

I am from the St. Louis area, so my first choice to be within the metro area. I like Columbia, my family likes it here...and the public schools are a heckuva lot better here. With the state capitol nearby, this is a pretty good second choice. Anything in between St. Louis and Columbia would suit me fine.

I am realistic, I don't plan on trying to take this degree out of state. If something falls in my lap because I finish super high in the class...maybe. These thoughts are to some extent beyond my focus, which is just trying to keep everything together as a student (something I really have not been in a while). I have only given thought to employment in terms of what kind of experience would I like to get this first summer when there is no way I get paid anyway.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:25 pm

molazapuku wrote:I am from the St. Louis area, so my first choice to be within the metro area. I like Columbia, my family likes it here...and the public schools are a heckuva lot better here. With the state capitol nearby, this is a pretty good second choice. Anything in between St. Louis and Columbia would suit me fine.

I am realistic, I don't plan on trying to take this degree out of state. If something falls in my lap because I finish super high in the class...maybe. These thoughts are to some extent beyond my focus, which is just trying to keep everything together as a student (something I really have not been in a while). I have only given thought to employment in terms of what kind of experience would I like to get this first summer when there is no way I get paid anyway.

Right. Do you feel like the Mizzou name will help at all getting an internship this summer?

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:43 pm

So long as I am willing to work for free I dont expect work to be much of an obstacle. Its when you want money that people seem to balk. In some quarter the name will be helpful...government, public defender, etc...Being a Mizzou student helps you there. Trying to latch onto a big firm in St. Louis? Probably less so.

If you can find a link to a Mizzou alumn, though, my experience is they are generally willing to go above and beyond trying to help.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Why is it so much easier to get a job in the government sector such as at a DA's or PD's office? Is it because you are generally working for free?

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:34 pm

In our case? Pretty much. It is also kind of desirable your first year because the odds of getting paid are SO low that you are looking for some way to survive. Many of these jobs count as externships, so you get credit. Combine that with the fact that these jobs are local to the campus you can also take another summer class...which means you can take out student loans for cost of living.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”