WVU Law

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
WVULawStudent
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby WVULawStudent » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:44 pm

rockydbull wrote:Any knowledge on how WVU is in terms of negotiating more money?


No idea, to be honest. Go for it. We have a very approachable and friendly Dean.

User avatar
Charlindrea
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:45 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby Charlindrea » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Comoncents wrote:
Charlindrea wrote:Waitlisted yesterday... I'll take waitlist over complete rejection any day, but the waiting game continues...



When did you send in your app?


I sent my application in on Jan 24th.

User avatar
WVULawStudent
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby WVULawStudent » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:58 am

Charlindrea wrote:
Comoncents wrote:
Charlindrea wrote:Waitlisted yesterday... I'll take waitlist over complete rejection any day, but the waiting game continues...



When did you send in your app?


I sent my application in on Jan 24th.


What were your stats? PM me if you want and I could probably tell you the odds of getting off WL or not.

User avatar
WVULawStudent
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby WVULawStudent » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Also, now that OCI is wrapping up, I'd probably be able to answer some questions about jobs for anyone interested. Obviously I don't know all the stats, but I think I have a decent idea of how it went.

theramblinman
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: WVU Law

Postby theramblinman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:53 pm

I would love to hear how OCI's went. One of my biggest concerns about WVU is the ability to get jobs outside of West Virginia, specifically in Pennsylvania. How many firms come to campus, and how many are out of state?

User avatar
WVULawStudent
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby WVULawStudent » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:16 pm

theramblinman wrote:I would love to hear how OCI's went. One of my biggest concerns about WVU is the ability to get jobs outside of West Virginia, specifically in Pennsylvania. How many firms come to campus, and how many are out of state?


We had four weeks of OCI.

First week was a bunch of local public interest stuff along with US District Court judge Irene Keeley. Keeley took three 1L clerks this year -- all from WVU. All the public interest jobs went to WVU students, as far as I know. Due to our public interest funding, I believe all of them will be paid jobs (other than the judge clerkship which is unpaid -- but the most prestigious job).

Second week was the bigger firms. 6 bigger firms and one small firm. Each firm was interviewing 10-15 people with Bowles Rice interviewing like 35 people. Most of the firms were taking multiple people. I think Steptoe and Johnson was taking about 4-6 people, Bowles 4-6 people, Jackson Kelly 4 or so people, Nelson Mullins took 2 people, and Spilman about 4 people. I know that they are not taking ALL WVU people, but at least 1 or 2 people for each of those places. I think Bowles filled their entire class with mostly WVU people.

All of these are paid jobs that pay roughly $1,000 per week.

Third week OCI saw some smaller firms and a really big one in Dinsmore & Shohl. Fairly sure that the smaller firms took 1 or 2 kids from WVU (Huddleston and Farrell). Dinsmore, I believe, took 1 for their Morgantown office.

The fourth week of OCI had 2 firms and I have no idea who they looked at or how many they took. Both firms were smaller firms so I assume 1 person for each. Maybe 2? Not really sure.

The firms for the first real big week of OCI (week two) were looking mainly at the top 20% of the class. Bowles Rice interviewed a higher portion (they probably dove well into the top 30% or so), whereas Dinsmore took people strictly in the top 10% or so. So to land a SA gig at a bigger defense firm out here, I think you need to be around the top 20% to be safe. With that said, I think that that is common at a lot of schools and I think that WVU fairs a lot better than schools that are less regional in focus. Since this is the only law school out here, the jobs out here tend to go to WVU grads and the internships to WVU students.

There are a lot of firms out here that have not yet posted job listings or didn't come to OCI, so I do know that there is still more in state work for people. Plaintiff firms have yet to really start posting up for help and only one professor has posted up for a research assistant position. So there are definitely jobs out there. OCI should never be heavily leaned on in the job search since it usually is fruitless for most people. But that is true everywhere outside of the T14.

----

Now on to the question about out of state jobs. This I really don't know about since I was mainly looking for work in state. If you have ties in PA, I assume that you'd be able to find a job. I doubt a firm like K&L Gates would take someone from here unless they had a 3.9-4+, but smaller firms are likely within reach. With that said, I believe that Pitt does their OCI before us, so if you are interested in a firm near Pitt, I would hit them up as soon as you get your grades back first semester.

I assume you can also get a job in Eastern Kentucky, South Eastern Ohio, and Western Maryland out of WVU. 75% or so of the kids who graduate here stay in state, so the degree is not overly portable. But the cost of living is so fucking cheap here that it isn't a problem living comfortably on an attorney's salary. I think that the median income in a lot of areas is in the 35-40K range while most defense firms out here start their associates in the 70K range.

User avatar
WVULawStudent
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby WVULawStudent » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:38 pm

For the record, I also think WVU is extremely undervalued by the USWNR. This school places very solidly within the state and most people end up with something by the time they leave. I'd take this over most private schools from 50 or so on down (state schools up there tend to do a bit better it seems -- as long as they are one of the few in their respective state).

theramblinman
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: WVU Law

Postby theramblinman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks for that info. Do you know how much support students get from the school if they are trying to obtain a summer associateship elsewhere? Is it all on the student?

User avatar
WVULawStudent
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby WVULawStudent » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:03 pm

theramblinman wrote:Thanks for that info. Do you know how much support students get from the school if they are trying to obtain a summer associateship elsewhere? Is it all on the student?


Our career services seem to be pretty supportive and helpful. Obviously they can't GET you a job, but they try and put out job listings all the time. I know they are constantly listing new things on Symplicity for students.

They also offer mock interviews prior to OCI (and I would definitely take them up on that offer).

learninghand
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: WVU Law

Postby learninghand » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:54 pm

I have a dilemma I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. I was basically given a large scholarship to WVU but was told I need to accept it within 15 days of the date of the letter. By the time I got the letter it only leaves about a week to decide. Quite frankly I applied late and am waiting to hear from several schools as well. I certainly don't want to seem ungrateful since I not only am seriously contemplating attending but also really appreciate the offer and the opportunity - it is not taken lightly. All that being said I don't like the idea of being rushed into a decision without doing some more research including living quarters for us and job market for my wife. Before I call blind, does anyone have any experience with negotiating the scholarship acceptance date? Thanks.

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: WVU Law

Postby wvu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:52 pm

learninghand wrote:I have a dilemma I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. I was basically given a large scholarship to WVU but was told I need to accept it within 15 days of the date of the letter. By the time I got the letter it only leaves about a week to decide. Quite frankly I applied late and am waiting to hear from several schools as well. I certainly don't want to seem ungrateful since I not only am seriously contemplating attending but also really appreciate the offer and the opportunity - it is not taken lightly. All that being said I don't like the idea of being rushed into a decision without doing some more research including living quarters for us and job market for my wife. Before I call blind, does anyone have any experience with negotiating the scholarship acceptance date? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure accepting the scholarship != binding attendance commitment. But definitely give them a call, they're like the nicest people ever.

User avatar
WVULawStudent
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby WVULawStudent » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:54 pm

wvuchip wrote:
learninghand wrote:I have a dilemma I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. I was basically given a large scholarship to WVU but was told I need to accept it within 15 days of the date of the letter. By the time I got the letter it only leaves about a week to decide. Quite frankly I applied late and am waiting to hear from several schools as well. I certainly don't want to seem ungrateful since I not only am seriously contemplating attending but also really appreciate the offer and the opportunity - it is not taken lightly. All that being said I don't like the idea of being rushed into a decision without doing some more research including living quarters for us and job market for my wife. Before I call blind, does anyone have any experience with negotiating the scholarship acceptance date? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure accepting the scholarship != binding attendance commitment. But definitely give them a call, they're like the nicest people ever.


Accepting a scholarship usually is not binding. I don't know any law school that calls it binding. The scholarship is only contingent on you actually attending the school. When I accepted mine, nothing about it said binding. It's not like it was an ED decision where you signed a binding commitment to attend a law school.

As far as I know, it's kind of like accepting an offer at a firm to later reneg. A dick move, sure, but not binding.

And, yeah. Everyone who works here is really nice. I've yet to meet someone I couldn't stand.

User avatar
WVULawStudent
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby WVULawStudent » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:03 am

One thing I will say that is great about this school that you won't find in a lot of schools is that there is not a single inkling of people trying to stab each other in the back. It tends to be somewhat of a common thing at some higher up places (I know Cornell and Seton Hall have reputations for it amongst others). Everyone here is about as friendly as can be. Sure, some people don't like other people, but I've never seen an active nastiness on campus.

learninghand
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: WVU Law

Postby learninghand » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:57 am

Thanks for the input. I had a friend also say to just accept it and then decide if I want to attend. I understand it is just 'business' but I really don't like the idea of knowingly playing a game with the possibility of not attending. On the other hand I don't like the idea of being rushed/forced into a decision without performing my due diligence and accepting/declining for the right reasons either.

I am definitely going to call them and hopefully they are as nice and understanding as you all seem to say. Thanks again.

User avatar
WVULawStudent
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby WVULawStudent » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Hear anything back from them?

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: WVU Law

Postby abbottsbar » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Holy crap! WVU just offered me the Bloom scholarship, $31k per year.

User avatar
WVULawStudent
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby WVULawStudent » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:40 pm

abbottsbar wrote:Holy crap! WVU just offered me the Bloom scholarship, $31k per year.


Congrats!!!! Planning on being here next year? Any questions, feel free to ask.

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: WVU Law

Postby abbottsbar » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:04 am

WVULawStudent wrote:
abbottsbar wrote:Holy crap! WVU just offered me the Bloom scholarship, $31k per year.


Congrats!!!! Planning on being here next year? Any questions, feel free to ask.


It definitely makes things more interesting. I'll definitely be making my way to Morgantown for a visit before making up my mind.

jwilson56
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: WVU Law

Postby jwilson56 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:55 am

withdrew acceptance today.

User avatar
WVULawStudent
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby WVULawStudent » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:20 pm

abbottsbar wrote:
WVULawStudent wrote:
abbottsbar wrote:Holy crap! WVU just offered me the Bloom scholarship, $31k per year.


Congrats!!!! Planning on being here next year? Any questions, feel free to ask.


It definitely makes things more interesting. I'll definitely be making my way to Morgantown for a visit before making up my mind.

If you want to know anything feel free to ask on here or shoot me a PM.

User avatar
Comoncents
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: WVU Law

Postby Comoncents » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Ok, my application still says under review but my status changed on the deposit fee. It is asking for 1st deposit, second deposit; what does that mean?

User avatar
WVULawStudent
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby WVULawStudent » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:57 am

Comoncents wrote:Ok, my application still says under review but my status changed on the deposit fee. It is asking for 1st deposit, second deposit; what does that mean?


Sounds like an acceptance.

User avatar
Bgard008
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: WVU Law

Postby Bgard008 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Any movement at WVU for anyone?
Waitlisted 2/20
LOCI sent 2/20
Called Admissions on 3/20 and they informed me that waitlists decisions would go out in late April waitlist decisions. Anyone find this to be true?

Good Luck!

User avatar
Bgard008
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: WVU Law

Postby Bgard008 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:47 am

Bgard008 wrote:Any movement at WVU for anyone?
Waitlisted 2/20
LOCI sent 2/20
Called Admissions on 3/20 and they informed me that waitlists decisions would go out in late April waitlist decisions. Anyone find this to be true?

Good Luck!


Still no movement with anyone? Has anyone been taken off the waitlist? :roll: :?

User avatar
Charlindrea
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:45 am

Re: WVU Law

Postby Charlindrea » Mon May 21, 2012 12:09 pm

I was waitlisted on March 14th. I'm still waiting too... :|




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beercules, Bing [Bot], cd1945, darthlawyer, goldescholes, NotAGolfer, spursforever, Torres1893, Yahoo [Bot], zeglo and 13 guests