University of Washington c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
barrotmartin

Re: University of Washington c/o 2015

Postby barrotmartin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:48 pm

clintone88 wrote:
barrotmartin wrote:UW's ten spot jump in prestige was impressive, but why? What did they have in 2011 that they didn't have in 2010? The cynic (or realist?) part of me says it's mostly gaming numbers-- and this isn't to imply UW does this to any greater extent than any other school.

I heard someone blabbing about how they heard that it was because of some sort of "accident" in how they reported employment last year. I take that to mean they did some gaming of employment, because it isn't like we went from 20 to 30 back to 20. Though I do think that probably part of it has to do with Seattle having a stronger economy than many of the midwestern schools that make up a lot of the t30ish spots. So while a lot of wisconsin, or illinois, or iowa firms were struggling because of a down market, the seattle market was able to start hiring quickly again. I don't have anything to back that up, just a hunch. I wouldn't really pay it any attention.

Above the law mentioned in an aside that there's some kind of a new (and successful) 'bar achievement program' in effect that may have been a factor in this. It's a bummer that it's simultaneously difficult both to give credence to USNews rankings and to ignore them in making decisions, especially as a relatively-far away oos.

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/open-thr ... s#comments

Lookingforanswers

Postby Lookingforanswers » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:03 pm

I visited UW this week and I spoke with Director Le, he said they will be emailing wait listed people in two weeks to see who is still interested in remaining on the wait list. He also said once he has a feel for who is still interested they would be waiting a few days after the May 1st deadline, that way they will know if they need to go to the wait list. So we will not hear anything (if we hear anything) until the week of May 7th. He did think however they would be looking at WL.

I hope I get in!

honeynutt

Postby honeynutt » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:15 pm

For anyone who applied for a scholarship and received one, how long did it take to hear back after submitting your scholarship application? Are they still handing out scholarships? I received my financial aid award but it just mentioned loans.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:38 pm

honeynutt wrote:For anyone who applied for a scholarship and received one, how long did it take to hear back after submitting your scholarship application? Are they still handing out scholarships? I received my financial aid award but it just mentioned loans.

Same. Talked to admissions, the LS gives out different monies than the main campus award letter, and hope to have out all awards by end of week.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:13 pm

honeynutt wrote:For anyone who applied for a scholarship and received one, how long did it take to hear back after submitting your scholarship application? Are they still handing out scholarships? I received my financial aid award but it just mentioned loans.

I submitted my scholarship application on the 14th and received an e-mail today saying they are unable to provide me with a scholarship offer :(

Does anyone know if that application was purely merit based?

tc22

Postby tc22 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:32 pm

fosterp wrote:

I submitted my scholarship application on the 14th and received an e-mail today saying they are unable to provide me with a scholarship offer :(

Does anyone know if that application was purely merit based?

I talked to Mathiew Le a couple weeks ago and he said that merit-based scholarship were all given out weeks ago. The round of scholarship emails this week was for need-based aid now that the main campus had processed FAFSAs

Lilberkie

Postby Lilberkie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:47 am

Hi, all, I've made my deposit at UW and I'm looking forward to getting to know my future classmates, finding a roommate for my house, etc. I talked to UW and they said it's up to us to make a Fb group and the like, so I made one. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/357075137673642/. Join away once you're set on UW!

RachaelRachelle

Postby RachaelRachelle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi, all, I've made my deposit at UW and I'm looking forward to getting to know my future classmates, finding a roommate for my house, etc. I talked to UW and they said it's up to us to make a Fb group and the like, so I made one. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/357075137673642/. Join away once you're set on UW!

Why did you make this a private group? :( Will you make it public? I'm sure many people are in the same situation where they can't let anyone in the public (facebook) know they are going to law school until they are ready to quit their job... :mrgreen:

Lilberkie

Postby Lilberkie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:22 pm

RachaelRachelle wrote:

Why did you make this a private group? :( Will you make it public? I'm sure many people are in the same situation where they can't let anyone in the public (facebook) know they are going to law school until they are ready to quit their job... :mrgreen:

That's why it's closed. I'm one of those people - my employer has a mole (if you will) checking my facebook page, and I don't want them to find a public group and see who's part of it.

From Facebook:
Secret: Only members can see the group and what members post.
Closed: Anyone can see the group. Only members see posts.
Open (public): Anyone can see the group and what members posts.

It seems to me that secret would make it the most protected from employers seeing it, and open makes it the easiest for anyone including your employer to find. Closed is in the middle - they can see the group exists, but can't see who's in it or what we've posted. That's why I chose the Closed option.

Here's a suggestion: if you join the group, it pops up on your timeline and your employer might see it, right? But you can delete things from your timeline, so as soon as it pops up, click the x and delete it. Then you can safely post in the group and no one will know.

NYDCKid2014

Postby NYDCKid2014 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:56 pm

So who is still waiting for the WL? and when do people think we will hear?

Diceman102

Postby Diceman102 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:51 am

NYDCKid2014 wrote:So who is still waiting for the WL? and when do people think we will hear?

I'm still waiting. I got this email from mathiew Le on Thursday.

"I hope this message finds you well.  Thank you very much for your patience during the admissions process.  As you may know, our deposit deadline is May 1, 2012.  After that date, the Admissions Committee will assess whether or not we need to take any students off of the wait list.  So that we may accurately reflect our records and your continued interest in enrolling at UW Law, please click here and let us know whether you wish to be considered for admission or not, as I know many of you have decided to enroll elsewhere.

Regarding the timeframe, this process will take the Committee a couple of days after May 1 to assess and if any students are admitted from the wait list, I will personally call those students.  I will also send all students with any updates by May 18, 2012.

So, we should hear something around May 18.

chungachguk

Postby chungachguk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:53 am

NYDCKid2014 wrote:So who is still waiting for the WL? and when do people think we will hear?

Still waiting as well. UW has definitely slowly emerged as my top choice, so keeping my fingers crossed for a little bit of luck, and a little bit of a miracle I suppose. :)

LLamb206

Postby LLamb206 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Has anyone else on the WL notice their Current Status date changed to 5/1/12?

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:24 pm

LLamb206 wrote:Has anyone else on the WL notice their Current Status date changed to 5/1/12?

Mine as well, but it seems to go along with the email I received as well.

NYDCKid2014

Postby NYDCKid2014 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:36 pm

LLamb206 wrote:Has anyone else on the WL notice their Current Status date changed to 5/1/12?

I have it, did anyone's update last week after they received the email from Director Le? mine did, but i sent an LOCI.

randomwombat

Postby randomwombat » Wed May 02, 2012 9:59 pm

For those who have been accepted, what kinds of scholarship offers have you received? This might be helpful information for those with significant offers at other schools they're still considering.

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Wed May 02, 2012 10:41 pm

NYDCKid2014 wrote:

I have it, did anyone's update last week after they received the email from Director Le? mine did, but i sent an LOCI.

I think the status update reflects that you responded affirmatively to their waitlist email.

km12

Postby km12 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:22 am

randomwombat wrote:For those who have been accepted, what kinds of scholarship offers have you received? This might be helpful information for those with significant offers at other schools they're still considering.

I received a scholarship that was $15,000 total for all three years (with no stipulations). I've heard that they're all out of scholarship money by now though.

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Thu May 03, 2012 2:11 am

Last edited by tjddk on Fri May 18, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trig9793

Postby Trig9793 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:13 am

randomwombat wrote:For those who have been accepted, what kinds of scholarship offers have you received? This might be helpful information for those with significant offers at other schools they're still considering.

I received a $12,000 merit scholarship (total) + $8,000 need-based scholarship (first year only). In comparison, I received scholarships varying from $75,000-$90,000 (total) at more highly ranked schools. UW was unwilling to negotiate. I withdrew from UW this weekend. Hopefully my scholarship money will be made available to someone else. Best of luck.

RachaelRachelle

Postby RachaelRachelle » Thu May 03, 2012 3:08 pm

I received a $12,000 merit scholarship (total) + $8,000 need-based scholarship (first year only). In comparison, I received scholarships varying from $75,000-$90,000 (total) at more highly ranked schools. UW was unwilling to negotiate. I withdrew from UW this weekend. Hopefully my scholarship money will be made available to someone else. Best of luck.

Fingers crossed. :o

RachaelRachelle

Postby RachaelRachelle » Fri May 04, 2012 8:17 pm

Did anyone receive some sort of confirmation that they got the seat deposit?

km12

Postby km12 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:53 pm

RachaelRachelle wrote:Did anyone receive some sort of confirmation that they got the seat deposit?

I received it via email, along with instructions about how to set up my UW Net id.

Lookingforanswers

Postby Lookingforanswers » Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 am

anyone think there will be WL movement this week?

LLamb206

Postby LLamb206 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:34 am

Lookingforanswers wrote:anyone think there will be WL movement this week?

I think if there's any movement at all, they'll take this week to review the WL applications again and start calling the week of the 14th. I've been checking my current status date and it still says 5/1/12. I'm assuming that once they re-review my application, it may change to the latest review date.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”