University of Washington c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ionoiforgot

Re: University of Washington c/o 2015

Postby ionoiforgot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:10 am

The pictures look really amazing. The school looks comfy :D

randomwombat

Postby randomwombat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:31 am

When is the deadline for seat deposits?

El_Gallo

Postby El_Gallo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks for the pics Cougarlive! The law school look aiiight, but the best thing about it is that it's in one of the coolest cities in the world. The look of those wet streets makes me miss Washington!

km12

Postby km12 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:31 pm

randomwombat wrote:When is the deadline for seat deposits?

May 1st.

honeynutt

Postby honeynutt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks so much for the pictures!

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Current 1L, willing to answer questions if anyone has any about UW law (and especially waitlist) and all that. Not specifics about employment because I don't know, the school will be way better to give info about it. I have anecdotal info about people in my class, but that's it.

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Last edited by tjddk on Fri May 18, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skaterboyroland

Postby skaterboyroland » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:26 pm

clintone88 wrote:Current 1L, willing to answer questions if anyone has any about UW law (and especially waitlist) and all that. Not specifics about employment because I don't know, the school will be way better to give info about it. I have anecdotal info about people in my class, but that's it.

since they dont rank their waitlist, what factors do they consider the most when admitting waitlisted students to fill spots? also, if you know anything about those who transfer in their second year, what rank were the lewis and clark students (if any) in their first year?

barrotmartin

Postby barrotmartin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:13 pm

tjddk wrote:Breaks my heart, but will be withdrawing shortly. Good luck to those on the WL!

Whyyy?

For those that went to ASW (and the 1L) and kindly volunteered to answer some questions, any thoughts would be seriously appreciated:

Are there significant differences between the quarter system at UW and the semester system at (from what I understand) most other law schools?

UW's ten spot jump in prestige was impressive, but why? What did they have in 2011 that they didn't have in 2010? The cynic (or realist?) part of me says it's mostly gaming numbers-- and this isn't to imply UW does this to any greater extent than any other school.

Does anyone happen to know their policy on summer 1L funding for PI work?

I know I could probably find this, but in case anyone else has done the work and is willing to share: how does UW's LRAP compare to other schools? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, but I'm only seriously considering peer-public universities like UCLA.

Is it true for OOS students we don't get residency tuition even after the first year? What if we change our drivers' license, begin paying state taxes (which would be nil I suppose given that we'd be in school), and registered to vote in WA?

Anyone have more details on the section tracks?

And finally some less institutional questions: How's the social life? What's the student body like? For those who went to ASW were you surrounded by people that impressed you? Ha ha. Where do current students relax? Drink? Is there ever time to drive to Olympic National Park?

How do people deal with the weather? Should I stock up on full spectrum light bulbs? Gore-tex? Sad man indie music?

Do most students live in U District? Is there a specific residents' hall for law students? From the admitted thread some folks suggested Ballard and Capitol Hill for a more walkable, grownup (i.e. less undergrad focused) neighborhood. How is the commute from those neighborhoods? Would I be left out of 1L socializing if I lived outside of the U District?

Which professors are the ones everyone wants to take? To avoid? I'm mostly interested in crim/constitutional law, but any word on this would be sweet.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:36 pm

skaterboyroland wrote:
clintone88 wrote:Current 1L, willing to answer questions if anyone has any about UW law (and especially waitlist) and all that. Not specifics about employment because I don't know, the school will be way better to give info about it. I have anecdotal info about people in my class, but that's it.

since they dont rank their waitlist, what factors do they consider the most when admitting waitlisted students to fill spots? also, if you know anything about those who transfer in their second year, what rank were the lewis and clark students (if any) in their first year?

While I don't know the exact things they look for, I know what worked for me and others who got off the waitlist last year. I sent in a LOCI emphasizing various volunteer work I had done, why I really wanted Seattle, why I really wanted UW, and said that I would definitely be attending if let in. Other people seem to have done similar things. The school heavily emphasized public service of some sort, so if you have things that feed into that you should discuss them I would think. I think once you're on the waitlist it seems like it's more about the softs and the fit with the school.

I don't know any of the 2Ls who transferred, so I can't speak directly to what they look for regarding grades.

skaterboyroland

Postby skaterboyroland » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:42 pm

clintone88 wrote:
skaterboyroland wrote:

While I don't know the exact things they look for, I know what worked for me and others who got off the waitlist last year. I sent in a LOCI emphasizing various volunteer work I had done, why I really wanted Seattle, why I really wanted UW, and said that I would definitely be attending if let in. Other people seem to have done similar things. The school heavily emphasized public service of some sort, so if you have things that feed into that you should discuss them I would think. I think once you're on the waitlist it seems like it's more about the softs and the fit with the school.

I don't know any of the 2Ls who transferred, so I can't speak directly to what they look for regarding grades.

Thanks alot for the info.. I wish I would have known this before I sent in my LOCI though. I wrote nothing about public service or my interest in it :(

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:05 pm

barrotmartin wrote:Are there significant differences between the quarter system at UW and the semester system at (from what I understand) most other law schools?

The biggest difference is that you take finals 3 times per year. Though 1L year the first quarter you only have 1 final, which was really nice. Talking to friends at other semester schools, we also learn things at different times, or go into things either more or less in depth, but it isn't all that significant. 1L year the first 2 quarters are basically the same, with only Civ Pro and Property lasting 1 quarter.

barrotmartin wrote:UW's ten spot jump in prestige was impressive, but why? What did they have in 2011 that they didn't have in 2010? The cynic (or realist?) part of me says it's mostly gaming numbers-- and this isn't to imply UW does this to any greater extent than any other school.

I heard someone blabbing about how they heard that it was because of some sort of "accident" in how they reported employment last year. I take that to mean they did some gaming of employment, because it isn't like we went from 20 to 30 back to 20. Though I do think that probably part of it has to do with Seattle having a stronger economy than many of the midwestern schools that make up a lot of the t30ish spots. So while a lot of wisconsin, or illinois, or iowa firms were struggling because of a down market, the seattle market was able to start hiring quickly again. I don't have anything to back that up, just a hunch. I wouldn't really pay it any attention.

barrotmartin wrote:Does anyone happen to know their policy on summer 1L funding for PI work?

I got a firm job, so I'm not intimately familiar with this. It appeared to be basically: 1Ls have this weird fundraiser thing they do, then from the money raised (plus probably other money), anyone with over 5 hours of volunteer work can apply for funding, and based on how many apply/how much money they have they do a lottery perhaps. THe lottery part I'm making up, but it may be accurate.

barrotmartin wrote:Is it true for OOS students we don't get residency tuition even after the first year? What if we change our drivers' license, begin paying state taxes (which would be nil I suppose given that we'd be in school), and registered to vote in WA?

This is true for this year. For my year, we were able to get essentially a scholarship to cover the cost of OOS tuition if you do all the things you mentioned, and will be able to continue to get it until we graduate. However, they apparently decided to do away with it for your year =/.

barrotmartin wrote:Anyone have more details on the section tracks?

It basically works like this.

Track A: Regular law school style, except on quarters. 1st quarter you have civ pro, torts, contracts, LRW. 2nd quarter you have property, torts, contracts, LRW. You have separate professors, classes, finals, everything, for torts and contracts.

Track B: Torts and contracts are taught by the same professor, and have a joint class and final. So you have a 2 hour class 4 times a week. But I believe you still get a separate torts and contracts grade. THough I think that's just on your transcript, because they obviously end up being the same grade.

For both tracks torts and contracts is a 2 quarter long ordeal. Then at the end of the 2nd quarter you take your final, and get a grade for 2 quarters worth of classes based on that one final.

barrotmartin wrote:And finally some less institutional questions: How's the social life? What's the student body like? For those who went to ASW were you surrounded by people that impressed you? Ha ha. Where do current students relax? Drink? Is there ever time to drive to Olympic National Park?

Everyone here is really cool. No one is a dick or anything like that. Social life depends, you can go out with people every weekend if you want, I tend to hang in with my girlfriend more often. But I go to lunch and drink with people usually like once a week, and go out with people a few times a month. That's just sort of the nature of law school, I'm poor, tired, and generally don't want to go out much. It is oddly divided along the track A/track B line though. I don't know almost anyone from track B.

I go to people's houses/apartments more often than to bars, not sure why. Most people either go out in the U district or capitol hill I guess, though I know some who go out in Fremont too. There's a lot of drinking here like any law school, but not awkward undergrad style or anything. We have a thing every Thursday that the school hosts where they have free alcohol and food, a lot of people went in the beginning but not so much anymore.

I try to hike at least a few times a month. I'm almost never too busy on the weekends to do it, unless a memo is due or finals are coming up. I really don't do any school work on weekends until Sunday night.

barrotmartin wrote:How do people deal with the weather? Should I stock up on full spectrum light bulbs? Gore-tex? Sad man indie music?

I spend basically from 8:30 - 5:30 in the library/classes. I treat school like a job, and I get 100% of my work done between those house generally so I never have to do it at night. Because of that I rarely even noticed the lack of sun from Nov-now. But really it doesn't bother me at all to have the PNW weather. I'm from the midwest and this is so much nicer than the weather there was. It isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be I don't think. Though I did buy rain gear for everyday use and hiking/backpacking use.

barrotmartin wrote:Do most students live in U District? Is there a specific residents' hall for law students? From the admitted thread some folks suggested Ballard and Capitol Hill for a more walkable, grownup (i.e. less undergrad focused) neighborhood. How is the commute from those neighborhoods? Would I be left out of 1L socializing if I lived outside of the U District?

I live in Capitol Hill and it isn't a problem as far as social life at all. It takes about 20 minutes by bus to get to school, and there are a lot of buses that go between them. I like Capitol Hill a lot, but it's fairly expensive. My girlfriend lives with me and has a good job, so that's the only way we can really afford to live there and take advantage of living there.

barrotmartin wrote:Which professors are the ones everyone wants to take? To avoid? I'm mostly interested in crim/constitutional law, but any word on this would be sweet.

Unfortunately you get no choice in your profs for the first year. But if you do track A or B it will determine some of it. THe same prof teaches contorts every year, his name escapes me but everyone seemed to like him a lot. I had Calandrillo for contracts, he's absolutely phenomenal. I've actually only had one professor that I didn't love so far, and even he wasn't all that bad. There is only one professor I have conssitently heard horrible things about, pm me if interested in who. We all just started con/crim, so I can't say much about the professors there besides the ones I have. We're only 2 weeks in and they seem really good so far.

km12

Postby km12 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:13 pm

barrotmartin wrote:And finally some less institutional questions: How's the social life? What's the student body like? For those who went to ASW were you surrounded by people that impressed you? Ha ha. Where do current students relax? Drink? Is there ever time to drive to Olympic National Park?

I went to ASW and was really impressed by the variety of people there. It seemed like a lot of people coming from different areas and different backgrounds, but people still seemed pretty approachable. Obviously this is just coming from a handful of interactions but it seemed like a decent group of people.

barrotmartin wrote:How do people deal with the weather? Should I stock up on full spectrum light bulbs? Gore-tex? Sad man indie music?

I live about 40 minutes south of Seattle right now and I really think the Pacific Northwest weather is exaggerated to keep people away. It doesn't rain every day, nor is it gloomy and gray all the time. There are some weeks in November where you think you'll never see the sun again, but in my opinion it always seems to brighten up right when you think you can't take it anymore. Plus, spring and summer (once they finally hit...it's just now starting to warm up a little) are really quite nice and not too hot, which I really appreciate.

RachaelRachelle

Postby RachaelRachelle » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:46 am

To the current 1L or anyone who knows the answer...

In the semester system, don't students normally take more classes so they have more exams at once? I went to a school that was on the quarter system and I always thought that we had tests more often but for fewer classes. Is it different for law school? So, each quarter you take 3 classes, but on a semester system you would probably take more at once?

Thanks!

ionoiforgot

Postby ionoiforgot » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:32 am

What are all of your plans for housing?

staloysius

Postby staloysius » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:14 am

ionoiforgot wrote:What are all of your plans for housing?

My family and I are hoping to get into student housing. If we don't, we'll probably end up in the Lake City area, about four miles north of campus. Rent is a lot cheaper there, and it is only a 15-20 minute bus ride.

tc22

Postby tc22 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:11 pm

ionoiforgot wrote:What are all of your plans for housing?

I think my boyfriend and I will just be staying where we live now in the Greenwood area. It will probably be about a 30-40 minute bus ride to campus but we really like the townhouse we have now and the neighborhood and don't really want to move. I would rather live a little bit farther away and have a nice/affordable place in a safe neighborhood than pay a ridiculous amount of money for a crappy apartment in the U-District again. We also might be looking for a roommate as ours is most likely moving out in August.

ionoiforgot

Postby ionoiforgot » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:04 am

Heh, and here I am, an OOS person; I'm starting research now on the options..but I might just end up trying on campus housing...

barrotmartin

Postby barrotmartin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for all the help on the questions! Has anyone received scholarship info yet?

km12

Postby km12 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:23 pm

barrotmartin wrote:Thanks for all the help on the questions! Has anyone received scholarship info yet?

I just got my merit scholarship information last night. $15,000 total for all three years. At least UW guarantees their merit scholarships for your entire law school career, rather than other schools that give out larger amounts expecting a good amount of students to lose them after their first year.

staloysius

Postby staloysius » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:03 pm

km12 wrote:
barrotmartin wrote:Thanks for all the help on the questions! Has anyone received scholarship info yet?

I just got my merit scholarship information last night. $15,000 total for all three years.

I was offered the same scholarship last night. I understand that there are other scholarship opportunities in the second and third years as well.

LLamb206

Postby LLamb206 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Did you try attending open house/information sessions despite having already applied and been waitlisted? Do you think this is a good way to get some face time with the Dir. of Admissions?

thanks

bukowski

Postby bukowski » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:33 pm

km12 wrote:

I just got my merit scholarship information last night. $15,000 total for all three years. At least UW guarantees their merit scholarships for your entire law school career, rather than other schools that give out larger amounts expecting a good amount of students to lose them after their first year.

Any stips attached?

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:39 pm

bukowski wrote:
km12 wrote:

Any stips attached?

I got the same scholarship; at least for mine, there were no stips (you might have to not fail out).

bukowski

Postby bukowski » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:03 pm

No13baby wrote:
bukowski wrote:
km12 wrote:

Any stips attached?

I got the same scholarship; at least for mine, there were no stips (you might have to not fail out).

Right on, thank you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”