University of Washington c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cougarlive

Re: University of Washington c/o 2015

Postby cougarlive » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:09 pm

In via email! Just noticed Status updated to decision 2/7. When do they give info on scholarships?

tc22

Postby tc22 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:50 pm

cougarlive wrote:In via email! Just noticed Status updated to decision 2/7. When do they give info on scholarships?

I talked to the Admissions/Financial Aid office today and they said the Scholarship Committee doesn't meet until mid-March. Same with any grants/tuition exemptions for WA residents.

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Dinged today as well, 3.65/164 and I'm out of state.

legalsinger

Postby legalsinger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:05 am

Waitlisted. Sigh.

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:39 am

cougarlive wrote:In via email! Just noticed Status updated to decision 2/7. When do they give info on scholarships?

Did you submit your scholarship app already? I haven't completed that one yet, but I did my FAFSA in January and I just received an email today from the UW financial aid office that they received my FAFSA info. As for scholarship awards, I assume they won't begin until after the deadline for the scholarship application:

"Submission are accepted from January 1 through April 15 for entering students, and through June 15 for continuing students." (taken from the app form)

I am curious if this will also prolong the award letter for federal aid. The other schools I applied to sent an accompanying merit scholarship award letter with my acceptance letter and promised an award letter (based on FAFSA) by mid-March. Due to UW having a separate app, I am thinking this will hold up the federal aid letter too since they won't know how much you will need until merit schollys are subtracted.

It is just a long time to wait if you are making decisions based on finances (who isn't??) to have to wait until June to find out if you can afford to go when you have a scholarship somewhere else with an earlier deadline (Seattle U for example).

Can anyone else shed some light on this aspect for us?

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Anyone waitlisted who really wants to go to UW, I would suggest riding the waitlist until they actually reject or accept you. I got in last year in September (after I was already attending a different school) with 3.3/165 OOS white male stats. Sometimes it just takes persistence and a showing of high interest. It sucks to wait that long, but I'm glad I did because UW is awesome.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Deadlights13 wrote:

Did you submit your scholarship app already? I haven't completed that one yet, but I did my FAFSA in January and I just received an email today from the UW financial aid office that they received my FAFSA info. As for scholarship awards, I assume they won't begin until after the deadline for the scholarship application:

"Submission are accepted from January 1 through April 15 for entering students, and through June 15 for continuing students." (taken from the app form)

I am curious if this will also prolong the award letter for federal aid. The other schools I applied to sent an accompanying merit scholarship award letter with my acceptance letter and promised an award letter (based on FAFSA) by mid-March. Due to UW having a separate app, I am thinking this will hold up the federal aid letter too since they won't know how much you will need until merit schollys are subtracted.

It is just a long time to wait if you are making decisions based on finances (who isn't??) to have to wait until June to find out if you can afford to go when you have a scholarship somewhere else with an earlier deadline (Seattle U for example).

I haven't done the scholarship app yet, but it seems simple and straightforward. The more I have looked at UW, the more excited I have gotten--a nice scholly will seal the deal.

Does anyone know if out of state residents can still get in state tuition after the first year? This old thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97087&start=375) makes it sound like it is easy...I wonder given the economic times if they have made the requirements more stringent.

imadude

Postby imadude » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:48 pm

cougarlive wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:

I haven't done the scholarship app yet, but it seems simple and straightforward. The more I have looked at UW, the more excited I have gotten--a nice scholly will seal the deal.

Does anyone know if out of state residents can still get in state tuition after the first year? This old thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97087&start=375) makes it sound like it is easy...I wonder given the economic times if they have made the requirements more stringent.

Not to burst your bubble, but I talked to a current student who said they are very stingy with scholarships and that the graduate students gaining residency thing is going away. He loves the school, but thats what he said.

As far as scholarships and when goes, I exchanged emails with someone in the admissions office who said the scholarship committee meets in March, but that you can request an expedited review if you want to.

tc22

Postby tc22 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:04 pm

cougarlive wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:

From past years it seems that UW doesn't give out much in scholarship money. If you are a WA resident you can get more money than OOS. And as imadude said they are no longer doing the out of state residency thing... here is the link about that http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/residency/graduateProfessional.html

aperfectmap

Postby aperfectmap » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:02 am

Withdrew. Hopefully this opens up a spot for some of the recent WL folks.

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:01 am

aperfectmap wrote:Withdrew. Hopefully this opens up a spot for some of the recent WL folks.

Congrats! You've had a pretty awesome cycle. Have you made a decision? Harvard?

aperfectmap

Postby aperfectmap » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:28 am

Deadlights13 wrote:
aperfectmap wrote:Withdrew. Hopefully this opens up a spot for some of the recent WL folks.

Thanks! It has definitely exceeded my initial expectations. At this point, I'm trying to make some decisions between Columbia, Chicago, and Harvard. Some of it will depend on the financial aid situation.

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:42 pm

aperfectmap wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:

Thanks! It has definitely exceeded my initial expectations. At this point, I'm trying to make some decisions between Columbia, Chicago, and Harvard. Some of it will depend on the financial aid situation.

Yes, it's awesome to get into your dream school, but complicated if you have better financial aid prospects from other schools.

NYDCKid2014

Postby NYDCKid2014 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:27 am

anyone on the WL planning on going to seattle? or sending in an LOCI?

censored311

Postby censored311 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Got in via email today! So excited!

3.8 GPA/163 LSAT/Strong Softs

In state

tajudad

Postby tajudad » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:27 am

censored311 wrote:Got in via email today! So excited!

In state

Congrats, censored!

When did you apply? Just wondering they are where in the stack.

accidentalhippy

Postby accidentalhippy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:17 pm

clintone88 wrote:Anyone waitlisted who really wants to go to UW, I would suggest riding the waitlist until they actually reject or accept you. I got in last year in September (after I was already attending a different school) with 3.3/165 OOS white male stats. Sometimes it just takes persistence and a showing of high interest. It sucks to wait that long, but I'm glad I did because UW is awesome.

Hi Clintone88,

What do you like most about the UW? I'm an in-state admit, but a CA transplant so I've never spent much time at the U. How would you characterize the law school climate and the interaction between the LS and other campus divisions? What sort of assistance have you received regarding summer 1L placement?

Thank you for any insights you can comfortably provide.

censored311

Postby censored311 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:45 pm

tajudad wrote:
censored311 wrote:Got in via email today! So excited!

In state

Congrats, censored!

When did you apply? Just wondering they are where in the stack.

Submitted 1/13. Went Complete 1/19 I think.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:23 pm

accidentalhippy wrote:
Hi Clintone88,

What do you like most about the UW? I'm an in-state admit, but a CA transplant so I've never spent much time at the U. How would you characterize the law school climate and the interaction between the LS and other campus divisions? What sort of assistance have you received regarding summer 1L placement?

Thank you for any insights you can comfortably provide.

The law school atmosphere/culture is definitely one of the biggest highlights. Everyone is pretty friendly, relaxed, and note very competitive. I don't feel like I'm with a bunch of assholes at all times, which being on TLS can definitely feel like. When I hear what friends at other schools have to say about their peers, I'm always glad I chose UW.

Interaction with other parts of campus is basically non-existent, unless you really want to interact I suppose. We stay in Gates at all times, and the only time I go anywhere else is if I just want to kill some time walking around. A lot of undergrads do use the library, but there are sections for law students only. I never really have a problem with it.

You have a career counselor, but I've only been to see mine once. I have gotten the most help for my 1L summer through my professional mentor (which everyone gets), and the various clubs I'm in. I've had a few firm interview (still waiting on results), and unpaid interviews too. I'm in a slightly different boat than most though, because I'm doing patent work. A lot of people still aren't sure what they'll be doing this summer, but I don't foresee many people having no options or anything like that.

doppelganger

Postby doppelganger » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Waitlisted today. :D I am actually very happy about this! I hope I can still get in. Applied 12/5.

cheergirl

Postby cheergirl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:30 pm

In today via email! So surprised because I'm OOS. 168/3.5

Incubateus

Postby Incubateus » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:32 pm

OOS 163/3.44. Waitlisted today. Submitted 12/12 or so.

Does anybody have a clue how many people they accept off of the waitlist?

kalede

Postby kalede » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Waitlisted today too. 3.38/170.

This is my second go-around applying to UW (I applied last year with a 166 LSAT), and I really thought I had more of a shot. :( I guess I'll be riding the waitlist and hoping for the best.

waker1000

Postby waker1000 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:26 am

In via email yesterday. Originally from WA but technically OOS now. Thought for sure I would be riding the WL until Sept. Pretty excited!

tajudad

Postby tajudad » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:50 am

Lots of action yesterday. Congratulations to all who got good news!

I hope they continue sending out decisions this week! :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”