University of Washington c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
smp

Re: University of Washington c/o 2015

Postby smp » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:13 pm

For the FAFSA email, did anyone get a personalized one with "Dear [NAME]", or was it addressed generically as "Dear Student" ?

chill

Postby chill » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:16 pm

smp wrote:For the FAFSA email, did anyone get a personalized one with "Dear [NAME]", or was it addressed generically as "Dear Student" ?

Mine was "Dear [first name]:"

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:19 pm

hartma25 wrote:Wait-listed today. 3.7, 168, non-urm. I also got the FAFSA e-mail. Good luck to everyone else!

Jesus. There goes hope.

moxy

Postby moxy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:21 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
hartma25 wrote:Wait-listed today. 3.7, 168, non-urm. I also got the FAFSA e-mail. Good luck to everyone else!

Jesus. There goes hope.

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Both those numbers are above posted medians for 2011.

chill

Postby chill » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:26 pm

moxy wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:

Jesus. There goes hope.

Hartma, do you have C&F issues?

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:06 pm

chill wrote:
moxy wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:

Jesus. There goes hope.

That or they are being ultra picky about ties to Washington and/or yield.

Or Hartma sent a Why Wash that spoke highly about Harvard :lol:

Seriously though, that's nuts.

benito

Postby benito » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Although I think YP is actually a factor a small fraction of the amount that it gets thrown around on TLS, Hartma probably is a good example of it. I'd bet if he/she were to write an LOCI proclaiming strong interest in uw, an offer would follow.

Baylor17

Postby Baylor17 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:22 pm

I called today and asked when IR 11/17 people would receive a decision. She said decisions are backed up due to the holidays and we should expect decisions within one or two weeks. If anyone IR 11/17 doesn't hear anything in two weeks, they should call the school.

NYDCKid2014

Postby NYDCKid2014 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Baylor17 wrote:I called today and asked when IR 11/17 people would receive a decision. She said decisions are backed up due to the holidays and we should expect decisions within one or two weeks. If anyone IR 11/17 doesn't hear anything in two weeks, they should call the school.

Ok that's good to know by the 26th we will know!

hartma25

Postby hartma25 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:58 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:
chill wrote:
moxy wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
Jesus. There goes hope.

That or they are being ultra picky about ties to Washington and/or yield.

Or Hartma sent a Why Wash that spoke highly about Harvard :lol:

Seriously though, that's nuts.

Yeah, I was quite surprised actually. I don't have that strong of an interest so I'll just withdraw, but I've been accepted to a few top 20's and got a hefty scholly from Washington & Lee (who is ranked right next to UW) so I was pretty shocked. I'm OOS, so that probably plays a part. Who knows! I hope they're much nicer to you all :]

ScoutFinch

Postby ScoutFinch » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Yeah, I was quite surprised actually. I don't have that strong of an interest so I'll just withdraw, but I've been accepted to a few top 20's and got a hefty scholly from Washington & Lee (who is ranked right next to UW) so I was pretty shocked. I'm OOS, so that probably plays a part. Who knows! I hope they're much nicer to you all :][/quote]

Hartma, did you submit actual letters of recommendation, or did you submit evaluations?

hartma25

Postby hartma25 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:28 pm

ScoutFinch wrote:Yeah, I was quite surprised actually. I don't have that strong of an interest so I'll just withdraw, but I've been accepted to a few top 20's and got a hefty scholly from Washington & Lee (who is ranked right next to UW) so I was pretty shocked. I'm OOS, so that probably plays a part. Who knows! I hope they're much nicer to you all :]

Hartma, did you submit actual letters of recommendation, or did you submit evaluations?[/quote]

Letters of recommendation. Two I believe.

chill

Postby chill » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:06 pm

FINALLY under review.

TreeHugger20

Postby TreeHugger20 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:38 pm

So I was hopeful that UW would be better about decisions since they switched to rolling admissions this year, but maybe I was wrong. Last year it took them until April to reject me - and I applied in December I think. Speaking from experience, it would probably be best to operate under the assumption that they do not follow their deadlines. They are notorious for being painfully slow, and it would make things easier if we could just forget we applied and then be pleasantly (or unpleasantly?) surprised when we do receive decisions.

See the 2010 UW thread for more info on last year. Very frustrating.

That being said, I really do want to go there and I didn't even apply anywhere else. Sooooo I guess I'm going to do the FAFSA like they said and hope for the best. And try to stay sane.

corvid

Postby corvid » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:52 pm

TreeHugger20 wrote:So I was hopeful that UW would be better about decisions since they switched to rolling admissions this year, but maybe I was wrong. Last year it took them until April to reject me - and I applied in December I think. Speaking from experience, it would probably be best to operate under the assumption that they do not follow their deadlines. They are notorious for being painfully slow, and it would make things easier if we could just forget we applied and then be pleasantly (or unpleasantly?) surprised when we do receive decisions.

That being said, I really do want to go there and I didn't even apply anywhere else. Sooooo I guess I'm going to do the FAFSA like they said and hope for the best. And try to stay sane.

Good luck. You have good numbers, so theres a good chance IMO.

I remember talking to Mathiew Le last year when I didn't have as strong numbers, and he told me to not worry about it, saying "go ask the girl we just admitted with a 3.2 gpa and 149 LSAT...who wrote a great personal statement." Kind of a false sense of hope, but one can dream.

Waiting sucks. I'm still not even under review, and have been ready to review for about a month.

Also, the law school itself is really well thought out. I love the library.

TreeHugger20

Postby TreeHugger20 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:53 pm

corvid wrote:
TreeHugger20 wrote:So I was hopeful that UW would be better about decisions since they switched to rolling admissions this year, but maybe I was wrong. Last year it took them until April to reject me - and I applied in December I think. Speaking from experience, it would probably be best to operate under the assumption that they do not follow their deadlines. They are notorious for being painfully slow, and it would make things easier if we could just forget we applied and then be pleasantly (or unpleasantly?) surprised when we do receive decisions.

I remember talking to Mathiew Le last year when I didn't have as strong numbers, and he told me to not worry about it, saying "go ask the girl we just admitted with a 3.2 gpa and 149 LSAT...who wrote a great personal statement." Kind of a false sense of hope, but one can dream.

Waiting sucks. I'm still not even under review, and have been ready to review for about a month.

Haha, thanks. My LSAT is definitely my weak spot, but I'm hoping that my PS and my community service will balance it out at least. Mr. Le is incredibly nice, but you're right - he gives more hope than is reasonable sometimes. Good luck to you! Surely they'll get moving on yours soon...

corvid

Postby corvid » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:24 am

TreeHugger20 wrote:
corvid wrote:

Haha, thanks. My LSAT is definitely my weak spot, but I'm hoping that my PS and my community service will balance it out at least. Mr. Le is incredibly nice, but you're right - he gives more hope than is reasonable sometimes. Good luck to you! Surely they'll get moving on yours soon...

I feel the pain, I have a similar LSAT. But yeah, I would just like to know either way...the waiting... :|

akakak

Postby akakak » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Looks like there's a new acceptance on LSN. Anyone else in today? Still nothing here...

azbycxdd

Postby azbycxdd » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi everyone quick Q:

Does anybody know where the University of Washington falls in the rankings with respect to intellectual property law? The USNWR listed IP law as one of the University of Washington's strengths, but if you click on the link it only shows the top ten or so schools.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:49 pm

azbycxdd wrote:Hi everyone quick Q:

Does anybody know where the University of Washington falls in the rankings with respect to intellectual property law? The USNWR listed IP law as one of the University of Washington's strengths, but if you click on the link it only shows the top ten or so schools.

Rankings in specific subjects mean next to nothing unless you're getting a tax LLM or something. Especially if UW didn't make it into the top ten, this shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

Anciano

Postby Anciano » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:17 am

No13baby wrote:
azbycxdd wrote:Hi everyone quick Q:

Rankings in specific subjects mean next to nothing unless you're getting a tax LLM or something. Especially if UW didn't make it into the top ten, this shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

UW is ranked 13th IIRC, but as No13baby says these rankings matter orders of magnitude less than the "real" ones. As people have said in this thread, I gather it's a very good school for IP law particularly if you want to practice in the Northwest.

akakak

Postby akakak » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Anyone applying for the Gates scholarship? I just read the bios of the current recipients and am feeling a bit discouraged...

Also, who the hell postmarks things on a Sunday in Seattle?

can this be over?

Postby can this be over? » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:47 pm

Not sure when the date for my app status changed but does anyone elses status date have a future date? Mine says In Review 1/17/2012...and its the 13th...

NYDCKid2014

Postby NYDCKid2014 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:14 pm

akakak wrote:Anyone applying for the Gates scholarship? I just read the bios of the current recipients and am feeling a bit discouraged...

Also, who the hell postmarks things on a Sunday in Seattle?

I emailed them about that, they said if its postmarked for the 17th, thats ok. PM if you want me to fwd the email.

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Last edited by tjddk on Fri May 18, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”