University of Washington c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aperfectmap

Re: University of Washington c/o 2015

Postby aperfectmap » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:57 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Anyone else applying for the Gates scholly?

I was strongly considering it for awhile, but I'm a bit terrified of the five-year post-grad PI requirement. I'm not sure if I could commit to that long of a time-frame despite a nascent interest in PI.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:04 pm

aperfectmap wrote:

I was strongly considering it for awhile, but I'm a bit terrified of the five-year post-grad PI requirement. I'm not sure if I could commit to that long of a time-frame despite a nascent interest in PI.

Yeah, that's a legit concern. But the idea of a full-ride is very enticing.

kalede

Postby kalede » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:17 pm

I applied last year in November, got waitlisted in April, and rode that waitlist all the way into September. I had a really great talk with the admissions office after that though, and know where to focus on my app this year. Hopefully the second time's the charm!

I also retook the LSAT and scored quite a bit better, but with since UW averages, it doesn't really make that huge of a difference. :(

Lilberkie

Postby Lilberkie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:57 am

FYI, my status was updated today to Ready to Review.

Lilberkie

Postby Lilberkie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:59 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
aperfectmap wrote:

Yeah, that's a legit concern. But the idea of a full-ride is very enticing.

I'll be applying, but I have already spent more than five years in the public sector doing nonprofit work and have no intentions of doing anything else. If you're questioning, I don't think it's the program for you, but maybe..... Good luck!

akakak

Postby akakak » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Went to 'Ready to Review' today

Yes, I'm applying for the Gates Scholarship. I've got decent experience qualifications. I plan to pursue PI after graduation regardless of a scholarship. That said, if I end up with no money at all from any schools I applied to I don't plan on attending this year. The full price of law school just isn't worth it for me to pursue PI work.

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:57 pm

my app went complete 10-25. i will join this wait.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:56 pm

akakak wrote:

Yes, I'm applying for the Gates Scholarship. I've got decent experience qualifications. I plan to pursue PI after graduation regardless of a scholarship. That said, if I end up with no money at all from any schools I applied to I don't plan on attending this year. The full price of law school just isn't worth it for me to pursue PI work.

Do you know numbers on how competitive the scholarship is?

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:37 am

akakak wrote:

hm... i just read some of the gates scholar's profiles.. good luck with that! i bow out
http://www.law.washington.edu/GatesScholar/scholars.aspx

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:03 pm

lrslayer wrote:
akakak wrote:

hm... i just read some of the gates scholar's profiles.. good luck with that! i bow out
http://www.law.washington.edu/GatesScholar/scholars.aspx

Oh jesus. Seems like my chances are better at a T14 than being 1/5 for that nonsense.

holden147

Postby holden147 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:13 pm

Hey guys, I'm from Ohio (originally from Bosnia & Herzegovina). UW is my top choice for schools that I have a reasonable shot of getting in (164 LSAT, 3.77 GPA). Never been out west but do plan on living in the Pacific Northwest after law school, probably in Portland, OR. Since everyone seems to be from Seattle...
how do you like it?
How often does it rain?
Are the people really as nice as everyone says?
Where do you plan on living?
What are some good neighborhoods to check out for apartment hunting?

Look forward to hearing from ya and if accepted, seeing some of you in the fall. :D

akakak

Postby akakak » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:37 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:how do you like it?
How often does it rain?

It rains less here than a lot of places, but the rain just kind of spits at you for months, instead of ever pouring.

People are super nice at the outset, but I think its hard to penetrate the community and have actual friends. People around here are a bit passive-aggressive, but I guess it all depends on the group you know. I grew up here and most of my best friends are transplants here because they don't have the same guarded outlook on developing friendships. That said, I'm sure law school is a whole different realm.

You could live near campus, but its really annoying with all the frat houses and whatnot. Crime is pretty bad there too. I like wallingford, ballard, greenwood, ravenna, madison park areas--something in the vicinity but not right next to campus.

If you want to get an idea of what its like in Seattle/Portland area please watch Portlandia. Its funny, but also pretty damn accurate.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:52 pm

holden147 wrote:how do you like it?
How often does it rain?

In the order asked:

I love it here. It's beautiful, there's a ton of outdoorsy stuff to do if you like that, and the food is great.

It rains less often than you might think, but it's overcast ALL THE DAMN TIME. If this sounds unappealing to you, you'll be miserable. If you can handle spending time inside with a good book/movie or a cup of coffee, this will be fine.

It can be pretty difficult to make friends here - I moved into a house with seven other roommates when I first arrived here to mitigate this. Since then I've made friends by connecting with people I already knew who lived here, but it can be difficult. I would imagine law school would be easier though.

I'm probably living in Queen Anne (the BF works downtown). It's a great neighborhood but probably not one I'd consider during law school if I didn't have a car. For closer neighborhoods, check out Wallingford, Fremont, Greenlake, and Ravenna. Capitol Hill is further away but reasonably priced and has a lot going on (plus it's close to downtown). Ballard and Madison Park are convenient but pretty expensive, and the U-District will get old fast for anyone over 19.

DubP5

Postby DubP5 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:13 am

I'm checking in as well! Born and raised in Seattle. Hoping like hell I get in despite the fact that I really messed up on my first LSAT (155). Question for anyone who has applied to UW before, how strict are they on averaging? Do I have a shot, being in state w/ a 3.8 and 155/164?

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Last edited by tjddk on Fri May 18, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:47 pm

I really don't think an original score of 165 will hurt you. It's above their median. I don't think you need to worry about an addendum.

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:55 pm

Last edited by tjddk on Fri May 18, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonecoast

Postby Stonecoast » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:22 pm

holden147

Postby holden147 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:34 pm

Thanks for the info guys :)

Where would you suggest searching for roommates? The TLS forums? Craigslist?

akakak

Postby akakak » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Got this email today, even though I submit my app over a month ago. Did anyone else get this? Does that fact that it says I have an 'outstanding academic record' mean anything? My gpa is actually below their median so I can't tell what this is supposed to be.

"Dear Student:

I hope this message finds you well. We received news of your outstanding academic record and would like to congratulate you on your achievements thus far. Your performance on the October LSAT and your impressive undergraduate grade point average certainly make you competitive for admissions at the University of Washington School of Law.

As you continue to research the strengths of the different law schools, I wanted to share with you highlights about the University of Washington and the opportunities we offer quality students such as yourself:

International Reputation – according to the Institute of Higher Education, the University of Washington is ranked among the top 20 universities in the world, and the School of Law is consistently ranked among the top 10 public law schools in the United States
Renowned Faculty – each of our professors has distinct experience and expertise allowing the law school to offer more than 100 courses and seminars in specialized areas of law including: Asian Law, Dispute Resolution, Environmental Law, Health Law, Intellectual Property, International & Comparative Law, and Public Service Law
Small Classroom Environment – with a student-to-faculty ratio of less than 10:1, the student learning experience is personalized
Diversity – the School of Law is committed to diversity and equality in preparing our graduates for increasingly complex and connected world
Experiential Learning – with over 13 clinical law programs and externships, our students are able to develop relevant lawyering and client management skills while serving the community.

I strongly encourage you to visit our website at: http://www.law.washington.edu for additional information about our law school, course offerings, and on the city of Seattle. Moreover, if you happen to be in the Seattle area, we welcome your visit and observe a first-year class, tour the law school, and speak with one of us in the Office of Admissions & Financial Aid. You can reach us at: 206.543.4078 or e-mail at: lawadm@uw.edu.

I would also encourage you to add us on Facebook at UW School of Law or follow us on Twitter with the handle name @UWLawAdmissions for up-to-date information during this application process and information about scholarship opportunities.

Our application is quickly approaching on February 15, 2012 and as you may know, we are now on a rolling admissions basis, thus getting in your application in earlier will get you a decision earlier. You may apply through the Law School Admission Council’s website at: http://www.lsac.org or download an application on our website.

Sincerely,

Mathiew Le
Director of Admissions & Financial Aid"

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:13 pm

Last edited by tjddk on Fri May 18, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cattleprod

Postby cattleprod » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:14 pm

Out of state applicants have an advantage at Univ of Washington now.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ns03m.html

Due to massive budget cuts from the state, the school just needs the extra money that out of state students bring in. This is not just limited to undergrads. It is all levels of the school.

aperfectmap

Postby aperfectmap » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:26 am

cattleprod wrote:Out of state applicants have an advantage at Univ of Washington now.

Due to massive budget cuts from the state, the school just needs the extra money that out of state students bring in. This is not just limited to undergrads. It is all levels of the school.

As a UW grad, I'm really disappointed in the state legislature for the increasing cuts to higher education funding. Going to UW was a great deal for me - both fiscally and academically. Shame that other Washingtonians may not get to enjoy that.

I wonder how/whether this will affect the Law School.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:29 am

aperfectmap wrote:
cattleprod wrote:Out of state applicants have an advantage at Univ of Washington now.

As a UW grad, I'm really disappointed in the state legislature for the increasing cuts to higher education funding. Going to UW was a great deal for me - both fiscally and academically. Shame that other Washingtonians may not get to enjoy that.

I wonder how/whether this will affect the Law School.

I don't know to what extent the law school is self-supporting, but the discrepancy between in-state and out-of-state tuition is MUCH smaller for law students than for undergrads.

cattleprod

Postby cattleprod » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:56 am

No13baby wrote:I don't know to what extent the law school is self-supporting, but the discrepancy between in-state and out-of-state tuition is MUCH smaller for law students than for undergrads.

All money is fungible. It doesn't matter if the law school is self supporting. If one area of the school brings in a "profit" they will milk that to fund other areas of the school. Law schools often subsidize other areas of a university because they know law students will pay T14 rates even at lower ranked schools.

The difference is about $14,000 more expensive for out of state students.
http://www.law.washington.edu/FinAid/expenses.aspx

Total for this year is estimated at $58,000 (tuition, books, living expenses) per year for an out of state student.
Expect the standard increases in tuition for 2 more years.
You could easily be spending $190,000 for a 3 year degree from a T30 school.
Add in capitalized interest on the student loans and you could be at $200,000.

This is not a degree that travels really well. Don't expect Biglaw $160,000 even if you are top 10%. The top students from the class will be lucky to make $100,000. More typical is $60,000.

The US News stats are total BS. There is no way that the median was at $110,000. The bottom 40% of the class that graduated in 2010 is either doing doc review or already washed out into a non-law field. The 2009 class was a disaster locally.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... gton-03167

Set your expectations appropriately. If you believe that a law degree from UW is worth a $60,000 per year job, then bust you ass, get above median and you will get that. But be sure you are not paying full ticket for this T30 degree. There is no way to justify $200,000 if you are only going to make $60,000 per year at the end of it. The loan payment is almost $2,000 per month and your income before taxes is only $5,000 per month. Do the math, it is a poverty lifestyle.

It helps if you are in state tuition and you can live with your parents to reduce expenses.

Local law firms also prefer to hire those with local roots. That is common in every law school though. Only T14 degrees travel well.

If you are bottom 25% after your first semester, you should drop out and save yourself the grief.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”