University of Washington c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BeatenHorse

New

Re: University of Washington c/o 2015

Post by BeatenHorse » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:42 am

No idea.

Based on what others have said about getting multi-year disbursements I'm a little curious as to how it works.

As to me getting in; I don't take anything for granted. UW's my top choice because I'm in love with Seattle and it strikes me as something of a gem of a school (comparing tuition, faculty/student ratio, clerkship placements, campus facilities, isolation from other top tier schools, etc). I think the massive boost in ratings it got today reflect this pretty clearly.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:49 am

BeatenHorse wrote:No idea.

Based on what others have said about getting multi-year disbursements I'm a little curious as to how it works.

As to me getting in; I don't take anything for granted. UW's my top choice because I'm in love with Seattle and it strikes me as something of a gem of a school (comparing tuition, faculty/student ratio, clerkship placements, campus facilities, isolation from other top tier schools, etc). I think the massive boost in ratings it got today reflect this pretty clearly.
Re:getting in, you make a good point. I hope to get a chance to visit, as I've only been to the West Coast for a day and have never visited Seattle! I'm going to make the trip to Berkeley and UCLA bc they will reimburse me for the majority of the trip, but can't afford to visit Wash at this point w/o a travel stipend. Am considering taking more time off to rent a car and drive there from San Fran, but given that it's a 14 hour drive, am not sure how reasonable that plan is...

BeatenHorse

New

Post by BeatenHorse » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:00 am

Driving from the Bay Area to Seattle is kind of an undertaking. It will take two days, reasonably. It would also cost you more in gas than the cost of a plane ticket on Virgin America.

Berkeley is nice, great campus, great faculty, and great academic atmosphere. If you got into both, and Berkeley is giving you some good aid (Berkeley is famously stingy with scholarships), go for it. Just keep in mind that the cost of living is insane.

It was my first choice before I realized that I desperately want to leave San Francisco.

akakak

New

Post by akakak » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:00 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck to all those on the waitlist!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:49 pm

BeatenHorse wrote:Driving from the Bay Area to Seattle is kind of an undertaking. It will take two days, reasonably. It would also cost you more in gas than the cost of a plane ticket on Virgin America.

Berkeley is nice, great campus, great faculty, and great academic atmosphere. If you got into both, and Berkeley is giving you some good aid (Berkeley is famously stingy with scholarships), go for it. Just keep in mind that the cost of living is insane.

It was my first choice before I realized that I desperately want to leave San Francisco.
Thanks for the info! I'm happy to have been accepted to both schools, but cost will definitely factor heavily into my decision. I really should get on that scholarship application ASAP. Your view on San Fran=my opinion on D.C. It was a great 20+ years, but it's time for a change.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BeatenHorse

New

Post by BeatenHorse » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Geneva wrote: Thanks for the info! I'm happy to have been accepted to both schools, but cost will definitely factor heavily into my decision. I really should get on that scholarship application ASAP. Your view on San Fran=my opinion on D.C. It was a great 20+ years, but it's time for a change.
Pretty much.

Nothing today from UW. Maybe tomorrow.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:00 pm

BeatenHorse wrote:
Geneva wrote: Thanks for the info! I'm happy to have been accepted to both schools, but cost will definitely factor heavily into my decision. I really should get on that scholarship application ASAP. Your view on San Fran=my opinion on D.C. It was a great 20+ years, but it's time for a change.
Pretty much.

Nothing today from UW. Maybe tomorrow.
Maybe in the next 3 hours? Currently trying to force myself to write LOCIs while I wait for the work day to end...soooo sleeeeeepy

aeiouy

New

Post by aeiouy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:09 pm

WL via email about 3 seconds ago. Seriously?

BeatenHorse

New

Post by BeatenHorse » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Waitlist.

Oh well. Reapplying first thing this fall, might retake the LSAT.

Moving to Seattle this summer anyways; at least when I reapply I'll be able to get in-state tuition.
Last edited by BeatenHorse on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:26 pm

BeatenHorse wrote:Waitlist.

Oh well.
i'm sorry! do not understand what is up w/ law schools this year. w/ ur numbers, i'm really surprised u didn't get in. :(

BeatenHorse

New

Post by BeatenHorse » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Geneva wrote:

Oh well.
i'm sorry! do not understand what is up w/ law schools this year. w/ ur numbers, i'm really surprised u didn't get in. :(
Who knows *shrug*.

I'll submit a LOCI, but with the boost in ranking this year there are going to be a lot of people who thought they were getting into a ranked-30 school who suddenly are admitted to a ranked-20 school. I expect their yield will skyrocket this year, so I'm not expecting much waitlist action.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:39 pm

BeatenHorse wrote:
Geneva wrote:

Oh well.
Who knows *shrug*.

I'll submit a LOCI, but with the boost in ranking this year there are going to be a lot of people who thought they were getting into a ranked-30 school who suddenly are admitted to a ranked-20 school. I expect their yield will skyrocket this year, so I'm not expecting much waitlist action.
If I don't attend, can I give you my spot? Unless I get mega money (which is apparently impossible from Wash), I'm not going. Are you willing to pay sticker? I feel like if you are persistent with this, there should be hope. Of course, I don't really buy into the rankings hype, so maybe I'm totally off base:/

BeatenHorse

New

Post by BeatenHorse » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:38 pm

I'd rather not pay sticker, but well, if I'm admitted off the waitlist I probably will have to. I'm thinking retest in June, hope for a higher score, get in on the first day this fall. In the meantime find work somewhere and just hang tight, maybe travel a bit, etc.

Unfortunately there's no way to broker spots like that. *laugh* I could even put in a good word for you with some professors at Boalt I know pretty well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

staloysius

New

Post by staloysius » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 pm

BeatenHorse wrote:I'd rather not pay sticker, but well, if I'm admitted off the waitlist I probably will have to. I'm thinking retest in June, hope for a higher score, get in on the first day this fall. In the meantime find work somewhere and just hang tight, maybe travel a bit, etc.
You could always try finding work in Washington state to establish residency. I know that UW is terrible with scholarships, but the $14K/y in-state differential might make all the difference.

Ogresmash

New

Post by Ogresmash » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:28 pm

Anyone know if the admitted students day is actually required if you plan to attend? I can't really afford it right now.
Last edited by Ogresmash on Thu May 10, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barrotmartin

Bronze

Post by barrotmartin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:40 pm

It's not required.

In today via email too!

BeatenHorse

New

Post by BeatenHorse » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:54 pm

staloysius wrote:
BeatenHorse wrote:I'd rather not pay sticker, but well, if I'm admitted off the waitlist I probably will have to. I'm thinking retest in June, hope for a higher score, get in on the first day this fall. In the meantime find work somewhere and just hang tight, maybe travel a bit, etc.
You could always try finding work in Washington state to establish residency. I know that UW is terrible with scholarships, but the $14K/y in-state differential might make all the difference.
That's the plan. Moving in July.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:06 am

a higher score in june may get u off the waitlist and in w/ money, depending on how high. good luck!

barrotmartin

Bronze

Post by barrotmartin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Is there an admitted thread? Searched but might be derrr. Wanted to ask if anyone was planning on ASW at the end of the month?

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:57 pm

WL = Sucks.

So sad...but surprised I even got that with my numbers.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

barrotmartin wrote:Is there an admitted thread? Searched but might be derrr. Wanted to ask if anyone was planning on ASW at the end of the month?
I am going.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:29 pm

i want to come to asw. however, it is the SAME weekend as asw at michigan, bu, and georgetown so have to somehow figure out which school is most important to visit that weekend...anyone know if asw is really important/useful to make a decision on wash?

tc22

New

Post by tc22 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:34 pm

barrotmartin wrote:Is there an admitted thread? Searched but might be derrr. Wanted to ask if anyone was planning on ASW at the end of the month?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=177814

BeatenHorse

New

Post by BeatenHorse » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Geneva wrote:i want to come to asw. however, it is the SAME weekend as asw at michigan, bu, and georgetown so have to somehow figure out which school is most important to visit that weekend...anyone know if asw is really important/useful to make a decision on wash?
Well, consider what goes on at ASW. You hear about why you should choose school x over schools p, q, and r. You sit in on a class. You do some basic financial aid stuff. You take a tour of the campus. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Most of these experiences are going to be the same at all of the schools. ASW isn't an orientation, it's a sales pitch. It's a fun one, possibly, but it's going to be the same basic song and dance at each school.

The more important thing to find out is how you feel about the cities the schools are in. So, you're from DC, you know what DC is like. If you've never been to Boston, going there is a good idea. Same for Seattle, Berkeley, etc, etc, etc.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:47 am

BeatenHorse wrote:
Geneva wrote:i want to come to asw. however, it is the SAME weekend as asw at michigan, bu, and georgetown so have to somehow figure out which school is most important to visit that weekend...anyone know if asw is really important/useful to make a decision on wash?
Well, consider what goes on at ASW. You hear about why you should choose school x over schools p, q, and r. You sit in on a class. You do some basic financial aid stuff. You take a tour of the campus. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Most of these experiences are going to be the same at all of the schools. ASW isn't an orientation, it's a sales pitch. It's a fun one, possibly, but it's going to be the same basic song and dance at each school.

The more important thing to find out is how you feel about the cities the schools are in. So, you're from DC, you know what DC is like. If you've never been to Boston, going there is a good idea. Same for Seattle, Berkeley, etc, etc, etc.
very good point. i need to make sure to set aside time to get a feel for each city as well as each law school community. all w/i the next 1.5 months! on paper, i'm thrilled about all the schools (or else i wouldn't applied to them, really). i have to remember that by pickng a school im pretty much deciding where i want to start my career and raise a family. i have never met a persn more indecisive than i am, so it's going to be an interesting few weeks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”