University of Washington c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Deadlights13

New

Re: University of Washington c/o 2015

Post by Deadlights13 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:23 am

For those who submitted the scholarship application online, did any of you receive confirmation following your submission?

RachaelRachelle

New

Post by RachaelRachelle » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Deadlights13 wrote:For those who submitted the scholarship application online, did any of you receive confirmation following your submission?
I didn't get anything after I submitted.

Lookingforanswers

New

Post by Lookingforanswers » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:27 pm

RachaelRachelle wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:For those who submitted the scholarship application online, did any of you receive confirmation following your submission?
I was wait listed in the last batch of decisions that went out, should I just give up, how many people do we think they are going to let in? I mean I wanted to go to UW before it went up in the rankings :?

tc22

New

Post by tc22 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Lookingforanswers wrote:
RachaelRachelle wrote:
I was wait listed in the last batch of decisions that went out, should I just give up, how many people do we think they are going to let in? I mean I wanted to go to UW before it went up in the rankings :?

If you really want to go to UW, I would stay on the waitlist. From what I've heard, quite a few of the current 1L class at UW got in from the waitlist so it's worth a shot.

sandlot

New

Post by sandlot » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm a UW waitlist...I really, really, really want to go here. I'm riding it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PutSumGravyOnIt

New

Post by PutSumGravyOnIt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Lilberkie wrote:
aperfectmap wrote:
akakak wrote:seems to be mostly seattle folks here so far. is anyone applying to seattle university too? i love seattle and don't really want to move
I think the job prospects for students coming out of Seattle U wouldn't measure up to those of students graduating from UW. That was my rationale for not applying. That said, my applying to UW was more a result of loyalty and love for the school and the city rather than necessity, and it is definitely in my group of safety schools. Hopefully I'll be able to make my way back to Seattle regardless of where I wind up going to school.
Yep, I applied to SU. Numbers don't say it all. It depends what you want to do. I am committed to public service, probably in the public sector. SU has a great track record of sending well-trained lawyers into state jobs; I know many of them in my current line of work. They also have scholarships and financial aid programs for those of us interested in social justice, which can erase that debt. So yeah I tend to look at more than just straight numbers - but then, I'm pretty far out of the whole college thing and have long-since abandoned the artificial tactics used to foster competition among workers. You can see on other threads this is not a well-respected viewpoint, but I'm happy with it. That's why I live in Seattle. :) Good luck.
I got into SU with a good, although conditional (renewable only if top 25% in class) scholarship. I have a strong public service record as well, though I am open to other options. I respect your view, even if others don't; there's more to this game than numbers (at least a little bit).

Then again, maybe I'm skewing it b/c I didn't get into UW--my top choice--and I'm just rationalizing it. I swear, Law School, I'm more than just a number!

CwallXC322

Bronze

Post by CwallXC322 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:37 pm

I'm on the waitlist and my decision date changed to 3/26. Significance?

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Anyone going to ASW tomorrow? Bringing a guest? Just wondering if the guest is invited to Saturday's activities as well.

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:41 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:I'm on the waitlist and my decision date changed to 3/26. Significance?

did you send the email saying you were cool with staying on the WL? If so, that is when they processed your response. I say mine change also and got excited. I called them and they explained what I just mentioned :(

I just sent a LOCI yesterday.

UW is my NUMBER 1!!! I really hope they consider LOCIs....

I have a wife and new baby plus some family in the Seattle area....UW not only has the great law school but the awesome university wide resources that would be great for my little family. Pretty much a dream situation for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

barrotmartin

Bronze

Post by barrotmartin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Just here to admit that I'm jealous of those going to ASW tomorrow & Sat. Take pictures, come back and post for us far away admits. Yes? I've never been...

honeynutt

New

Post by honeynutt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:48 am

cougarlive wrote:Anyone going to ASW tomorrow? Bringing a guest? Just wondering if the guest is invited to Saturday's activities as well.
Can't make it unfortunately. Visiting in April. Let us know how it is!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:49 am

honeynutt wrote:
cougarlive wrote:Anyone going to ASW tomorrow? Bringing a guest? Just wondering if the guest is invited to Saturday's activities as well.
Can't make it unfortunately. Visiting in April. Let us know how it is!
Ditto! Well, hopefully visiting in April...

NYDCKid2014

New

Post by NYDCKid2014 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:35 am

I'd love to hear what they spoke to everyone about. I could only get off of work next week so I will be visiting next Friday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:31 pm

cougarlive wrote:Anyone going to AspieFest 2012! tomorrow? Bringing a guest? Just wondering if the guest is invited to Saturday's activities as well.

Wow...Just saw this, I meant ASW tomorrow... What the heck is ASPIEFEST and how did my iphone manage to autocorrect to that?????

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:33 pm

cougarlive wrote:
cougarlive wrote:Anyone going to AspieFest 2012! tomorrow? Bringing a guest? Just wondering if the guest is invited to Saturday's activities as well.

Wow...Just saw this, I meant AspieFest 2012! tomorrow... What the heck is ASPIEFEST and how did my iphone manage to autocorrect to that?????

What is going on.... every time I type "A-S-W" it automatically changes it.... its not autocorrect at all....

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:34 pm

cougarlive wrote:
cougarlive wrote:

Wow...Just saw this, I meant AspieFest 2012! tomorrow... What the heck is ASPIEFEST and how did my iphone manage to autocorrect to that?????

What is going on.... every time I type "A-S-W" it automatically changes it.... its not autocorrect at all....
Ah...just figured it out, must be an April fools prank. Anyways, I did go, and am trying to figure out how to post pics for everyone else, I took SEVERAL.

RachaelRachelle

New

Post by RachaelRachelle » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm going here after meeting students and professors. I was a zombie through the entire day after working a graveyard shift on Friday night, so I wasn't able to meet as many people as I'd hoped.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ogresmash

New

Post by Ogresmash » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:07 pm

I wasn't able to go, but I'm really curious if anyone at the ASW talked about what employments stats were looking like for 2011. Other university's ASWs I've been able to attend have given preliminary information on the 2011 stats before they are published... did someone talk about that at UW?

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:09 pm

Ogresmash wrote:I wasn't able to go, but I'm really curious if anyone at the AspieFest 2012! talked about what employments stats were looking like for 2011. Other university's ASWs I've been able to attend have given preliminary information on the 2011 stats before they are published... did someone talk about that at UW?
It was never mentioned. I wanted to ask about it but didn't have the cojones.

barrotmartin

Bronze

Post by barrotmartin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Awesome! Can't wait to see your pics! :mrgreen: How was it? Did you hang with your future classmates?

Posting pics:
The easiest way I've found is at http://www.imgur.com. Just click "Upload from Computer" and you can upload them all at once. Then it'll give you different ways to link to the photos. To have them show up in the thread, just post the links that begin with "[IMG]http://imgur.com..."
cougarlive wrote:
cougarlive wrote:
cougarlive wrote:

Ah...just figured it out, must be an April fools prank. Anyways, I did go, and am trying to figure out how to post pics for everyone else, I took SEVERAL.

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:35 pm

Alright everyone, as promised, here are some pics I managed to take on my phone. I tried to put them in order to give you an idea of what a walk through is like.

As for my experiences, I was really impressed by the Deans, students, facilities, and Seattle. I found Dean Le and Dean Testy to be open, candid, and engaging. At no point did I feel like it was a sales pitch, and the sentiment across the board is the school speaks for itself.

Though I could go on and on, there were a few things I wanted to mention that might not be contained in the TLS body of wisdom:

1-Apps up at Udub. Though the avg. # of apps are down, they are up at Udub.
2-The curve is very generous, with it being at about a B+
3-$$$$-Dean Le talked about how most schools build into their business model the fact that a % of students will lose their scholarship money after the first year (which most of us already know). He said part of the reason UW doesn't put stips is to foster an atmosphere of collegiality (i.e. there is no additional incentive to do better than your classmates), as well as be as candid with students as possible. The admin mentioned how Dean Testy is trying hard to keep the cost of tuition down--while at the same time pointing out that given its (new) ranking, UW was a bargain even for out of state students when compared to similarly ranked schools.

Anyway, enjoy the pics!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:49 am

Something to add about ASW, there seemed to be a lot of questions about the difference between the A track and B track and how the sections work, so if I remember correctly:

About 75% of the students choose A track which is traditional cirriculum
The B track sort of uses an interdisciplinary approach with some of the classes, for example combining the torts and contracts classes (contorts?)
Since B track is much smaller people tend to get to know each other better
The tracks are divided into sections of 25 students each (B track generally has two sections) and you follow the same schedule with those in your section for the first two quarters and then there is some splitting up, but generally you will get to know your section very well.

I didn't take notes so I am just trying to remember the details so some of that might be inaccurate.

barrotmartin

Bronze

Post by barrotmartin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:09 am

You're the best cougarlive. I'm going to have to get used to that gray but the building/campus look amazing. It's late now but will have some questions tomorrow for those of you who made it out-- if you'd be so kind to entertain.

RachaelRachelle

New

Post by RachaelRachelle » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:51 am

barrotmartin wrote:You're the best cougarlive. I'm going to have to get used to that gray but the building/campus look amazing. It's late now but will have some questions tomorrow for those of you who made it out-- if you'd be so kind to entertain.
I'd be happy to help also! They gray makes the nicer days amazing. And really, the mid-winter/beginning of spring is the worst (rainy and mild), but summer and fall are great. The rain makes it easier to study.

km12

New

Post by km12 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:08 pm

RachaelRachelle wrote:
barrotmartin wrote:You're the best cougarlive. I'm going to have to get used to that gray but the building/campus look amazing. It's late now but will have some questions tomorrow for those of you who made it out-- if you'd be so kind to entertain.
I'd be happy to help also! They gray makes the nicer days amazing. And really, the mid-winter/beginning of spring is the worst (rainy and mild), but summer and fall are great. The rain makes it easier to study.
I told this same thing to someone I met from out of state at ASW. I don't think I would be as thankful for the sunny days without the gray ones. And Seattle on a sunny day is so beautiful.

I'm also willing to answer questions about ASW! I was already sold on UW, but listening to the deans and experiencing the mock class just sealed the deal for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”