FSU c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dream Machine

Re: FSU c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Dream Machine » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:46 am

Decision made will arrive in mail. No phone call yet. I am at the median from last year for LSAT (162) and 3.81 LSDAS w/ double major in econ and poly sci. I am retaking in December, which probably won't go well, and then again February. I was expecting to be deferred this early in the game to be honest. Would they let you know of a waitlist or deference via mail? Would either of those two technically constitute a "decision"? Or is a decision either accept or reject?
Last edited by Dream Machine on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:58 am

minuit wrote:99.9% certain that you are in. Congrats 8) Seriously considering going?

Absolutely, for me it’s probably going to come down to finances and In-State Tuition already has put FSU and UF at the top of the pack. A scholarship from either school would certainly help the case. I’m pretty confident it’s a good decision but still a bit nervous till they call or I receive something by mail.

Are you at FSU now? How are you enjoying your first year?

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:05 am

MichNole19 wrote:
minuit wrote:99.9% certain that you are in. Congrats 8) Seriously considering going?

Absolutely, for me it’s probably going to come down to finances and In-State Tuition already has put FSU and UF at the top of the pack. A scholarship from either school would certainly help the case. I’m pretty confident it’s a good decision but still a bit nervous till they call or I receive something by mail.

Are you at FSU now? How are you enjoying your first year?

It came down to finances for me, too. I was thisclose to going to a private school at sticker, and decided the overall more prudent choice for my life would be going to FSU with instate/scholarship. FSU is more generous with scholarships than UF, by the way. If you are above both medians, you should definitely expect some $$.

I am enjoying my first year very much! Two weeks til the first final though.... D:

Dream Machine wrote:Decision made will arrive in mail. No phone call yet. I am at the median from last year for LSAT and 3.81 LSDAS w/ double major. I was expecting to be deferred this early in the game to be honest. Would they let you know of a waitlist or deference via mail? Would either of those two technically constitute a "decision"? Or is a decision either accept or reject?

They have not rejected or deferred people this early in years past. If you're at median LSAT and above 75th GPA, you're in. :)

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Just recieved a phone call from the 850, Phew feels good to finally be accepted.. Go Noles!!!

vguerra

Postby vguerra » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:04 pm

anyone else get the email with the 1L merit scholarship app?

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:33 pm

vguerra wrote:anyone else get the email with the 1L merit scholarship app?

Just got the phone call here too. So pumped. I didn't get an email about 1L merit-based scholarships. However, I am not in any position numbers-wise to get any money whatsoever from them; I am just happy to be accepted. Congrats everyone!

skirkland

Postby skirkland » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:07 pm

yes, got it this afternoon.

JK910

Postby JK910 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:56 pm

Not me... I even checked my spam. I wasn't on the first wave of acceptances so hopefully it will show up in a week or so.

skirkland wrote:

yes, got it this afternoon.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Dream Machine wrote:Decision made will arrive in mail. No phone call yet. I am at the median from last year for LSAT (162) and 3.81 LSDAS w/ double major in econ and poly sci. I am retaking in December, which probably won't go well, and then again February. I was expecting to be deferred this early in the game to be honest. Would they let you know of a waitlist or deference via mail? Would either of those two technically constitute a "decision"? Or is a decision either accept or reject?

Actually f*** that noise, not re-taking the LSAT again. Not that I expect any money from them, but just out of curiosity, what do you need to get for them to sweeten the deal a little bit. And how much is tuition?

minuit

Postby minuit » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:31 pm

Dream Machine wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:Decision made will arrive in mail. No phone call yet. I am at the median from last year for LSAT (162) and 3.81 LSDAS w/ double major in econ and poly sci. I am retaking in December, which probably won't go well, and then again February. I was expecting to be deferred this early in the game to be honest. Would they let you know of a waitlist or deference via mail? Would either of those two technically constitute a "decision"? Or is a decision either accept or reject?

Actually f*** that noise, not re-taking the LSAT again. Not that I expect any money from them, but just out of curiosity, what do you need to get for them to sweeten the deal a little bit. And how much is tuition?

http://fsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... order=desc

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Pseudonym

Scroll down to 162s... I'd say you are looking at a real possibility for some money! Tuition keeps increasing, but it's about 18k instate this year.

Its Always Sunny

Postby Its Always Sunny » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:30 pm

Dream Machine wrote:

lol I had same noise. I have a 162 and GPA above 75th percentile and didn't get the scholarship email. I'm not really surprised though because FSU likes the higher lsat and FSU is my top choice even without a scholarship. Their maybe something they like in your PS though or etc.

Ant1her0

Postby Ant1her0 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:37 am

If I got accepted on Nov. 10 and received my packet the following week, that wouldn't put me in the first wave of acceptances right? I didn't apply until Nov. 3.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm going to miss out on scholarship opportunities. I don't really know how strong a 164 LSAT is in comparison to the other people who've received the e-mail already. Do you think it's a timing thing (me applying in November and thus they haven't gotten to me yet) or is my 164 too low for scholly consideration?

tivo152

Postby tivo152 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:54 am

Literally accepted the day after I applied (3.68/164, FSU undergrad). They just sent me an application for merit-based financial aid, for which I am evidently eligible.

FreeLolita

Postby FreeLolita » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:04 pm

tivo152 wrote:Literally accepted the day after I applied (3.68/164, FSU undergrad). They just sent me an application for merit-based financial aid, for which I am evidently eligible.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you initially get your decision?

tivo152

Postby tivo152 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:19 pm

FreeLolita wrote:
tivo152 wrote:Literally accepted the day after I applied (3.68/164, FSU undergrad). They just sent me an application for merit-based financial aid, for which I am evidently eligible.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you initially get your decision?

Applied October 17th, got the call on the 18th saying I was accepted. The letter came like a week later.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:16 pm

Obviously the month of December is out, but does anyone know a good time to visit this school? Thanks.

minuit

Postby minuit » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Dream Machine wrote:Obviously the month of December is out, but does anyone know a good time to visit this school? Thanks.

There's a Scholars Day in February or so that they send invites out to... that's normally pretty fun (in addition to the normal Admitted Students Day). Anytime from Mid-January (give everyone a week or so to settle in to new classes) to early April (cut off when people start studying a lot) would be good, as well, if you just want to shadow someone for the day!

vguerra

Postby vguerra » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:45 am

[quote="Dream Machine"]Obviously the month of December is out, but does anyone know a good time to visit this school? Thanks.[/quote

If you go anytime between January and March you'll be there while the legislative session is in, the city has a lot more life to it. A lot of lobbyists and legislators are FSU law alum. You'll get a good idea of the city life around Tally, especially if you happen to be there on St. Patrick's day which the city literally shuts down for.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:13 pm

vguerra wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:Obviously the month of December is out, but does anyone know a good time to visit this school? Thanks.[/quote

If you go anytime between January and March you'll be there while the legislative session is in, the city has a lot more life to it. A lot of lobbyists and legislators are FSU law alum. You'll get a good idea of the city life around Tally, especially if you happen to be there on St. Patrick's day which the city literally shuts down for.
minuit wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:Obviously the month of December is out, but does anyone know a good time to visit this school? Thanks.

There's a Scholars Day in February or so that they send invites out to... that's normally pretty fun (in addition to the normal Admitted Students Day). Anytime from Mid-January (give everyone a week or so to settle in to new classes) to early April (cut off when people start studying a lot) would be good, as well, if you just want to shadow someone for the day!

Thank you guys so much for the advice so far. I am sorry to be a pest :D , but do you guys know anything about the cost of living in Tally? I have heard great things, but I am not really familar with the area.

fLAWridagator

Postby fLAWridagator » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:26 pm

My application has been complete for two weeks and still is not under review. Is this normal? My boyfriend has essentially the same scores as me (165/3.65) and he was already reviewed and accepted so I'm starting to worry...

Ant1her0

Postby Ant1her0 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:40 pm

fLAWridagator wrote:My application has been complete for two weeks and still is not under review. Is this normal? My boyfriend has essentially the same scores as me (165/3.65) and he was already reviewed and accepted so I'm starting to worry...

I would say you have zero reason to worry. It could just be that they take x amount of apps for review at a time and he was in a separate batch. Your numbers are ultra competitive so I'd say it's more a matter of when rather than if. People with those numbers have received scholly info I believe, so I wouldn't worry.

tivo152

Postby tivo152 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Dream Machine wrote:
Thank you guys so much for the advice so far. I am sorry to be a pest :D , but do you guys know anything about the cost of living in Tally? I have heard great things, but I am not really familar with the area.

FSU undergrad here. Like most college towns, rent varies depending on quality/distance from campus. Average is probably around $500/mo, but you can find good deals out there, especially if you don't mind roommates (I live in a 4/4 and pay $369 + utilities, so it usually comes out to around $420).

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:27 am

Just my advice, but I don't think you should retake twice. If your not ready for Dec., just take it in Feb. I think it might hurt you more than help you.

JK910

Postby JK910 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:58 pm

anyone else accepted that hasn't received scholarship application information?

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:21 pm

I was accepted 11/21 but still no scholarship application... hopefully this week.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”