FSU c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
georgia32

Re: FSU c/o 2015 applicants

Postby georgia32 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:52 pm

rudygayandchardonnay wrote:Offered no $ so I'm withdrawing. Email sent. Good luck to everyone waiting on a decision!

So if they haven't already offered money, they won't?

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:54 pm

georgia32 wrote:
rudygayandchardonnay wrote:Offered no $ so I'm withdrawing. Email sent. Good luck to everyone waiting on a decision!

So if they haven't already offered money, they won't?

Not necessarily. I tried skimming over last year's posts and it seems like some people received scholarships after the initial batch went out. And for those of us who received scholarships, I no one received them with the acceptance letter, so you really can't know that you will not receive a scholarship.

I think someone who did not receive a scholarship should try contacting admissions to find out. This is a question that a lot of people are having, and it would be nice for you all to know for sure instead of getting vague "maybes" from those of us who don't know.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:16 am

Just received my scholarship application via email. Strange that it would come so late, considering the deadline is March 1. Nevertheless, I'm pumped.

georgia32

Postby georgia32 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:35 am

Geaux12 wrote:Just received my scholarship application via email. Strange that it would come so late, considering the deadline is March 1. Nevertheless, I'm pumped.

I just got an application for need based? Was yours a merit based application?

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Geaux12 wrote:Just received my scholarship application via email. Strange that it would come so late, considering the deadline is March 1. Nevertheless, I'm pumped.

Great, well I guess they are sending more applications.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:05 pm

georgia32 wrote:

I just got an application for need based? Was yours a merit based application?

It looks to be both, along with scholarships for people interested in specific areas of the law.

LawStudent89

Postby LawStudent89 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:22 pm

Just went from under review to HOLD. Does anyone know what that means?

texag1979

Postby texag1979 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:52 pm

LawStudent89 wrote:Just went from under review to HOLD. Does anyone know what that means?

It means they're going to see if they can get anybody with better numbers than us before they make a decision on us. Then, after they know who's attending and who's not, they'll look at our numbers again to see if we're good enough. It seems similar to Waitlist but slightly better, since we could still be accepted outright. But, basically, you have to hope that a lot of folks with better numbers than you decide to go elsewhere. My page says that they'll make all their decisions by May 31st. We might hear something shortly after the first seat deposit is due, but I don't really hope to hear anything until May. By that point I'll probably have already moved to Knoxville, so if they wait until then that's one less person you'll be competing against. Best of luck in any case.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:10 pm

'Held' here as well. :(

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:04 pm

I want the T-shirt and card. :lol:

JerichoJohnny

Postby JerichoJohnny » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:11 pm

I was also held today. I'm just glad not to be rejected. So is this REALLY any better than the waitlist? I am fortunate in the case of FSU that I live close enough to the school that I am prepared to go the distance and could hold out for an acceptance longer than I would for any school.

Now I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere as well, but is a LOCI appropriate in a case such as this?

georgia32

Postby georgia32 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:20 pm

jaysgirl42671 wrote:I want the T-shirt and card. :lol:

Do they do that?

Any of you guys going to ASD? I'm planning on it.

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 pm

I'm driving up Thursday morning. But ... everyone better bring a rain jacket/umbrella.

And some people at the very beginning of the thread mentioned a shirt and handwritten card. But I don't know if that was only for early admits!!

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:05 am

jaysgirl42671 wrote:I'm driving up Thursday morning. But ... everyone better bring a rain jacket/umbrella.

And some people at the very beginning of the thread mentioned a shirt and handwritten card. But I don't know if that was only for early admits!!

Yeah I'm driving over Thursday too. I'll be the loud one on the strip.

What is this t-shirt and card you speak of?

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:13 am

ash0117 wrote:The t-shirt and hand written card was a very nice touch. This school seems very considerate of applicants (i.e. quick turnaround, phone call) and organized. I am impressed. I just wish that I could get my scholarship information already!! As an in-state applicant, FSU is edging out UF with their consideration and kindness :) Haven't heard ANYTHING from UF since "File Reviewed-No Decision Reached" over a month ago.

This is my info. A few people in December mention it, but no one since, which makes me wonder if it was only for the super-early admits... :D

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:18 am

jaysgirl42671 wrote:
ash0117 wrote:The t-shirt and hand written card was a very nice touch. This school seems very considerate of applicants (i.e. quick turnaround, phone call) and organized. I am impressed. I just wish that I could get my scholarship information already!! As an in-state applicant, FSU is edging out UF with their consideration and kindness :) Haven't heard ANYTHING from UF since "File Reviewed-No Decision Reached" over a month ago.

This is my info. A few people in December mention it, but no one since, which makes me wonder if it was only for the super-early admits... :D

Way to make me feel like the middle child, FSU :lol:

georgia32

Postby georgia32 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:27 am

The only t-shirt I have gotten this cycle is from Belmont, a school that I didn't apply to.

Tarheel19932005

Postby Tarheel19932005 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:34 am

JerichoJohnny wrote:I was also held today. I'm just glad not to be rejected. So is this REALLY any better than the waitlist? I am fortunate in the case of FSU that I live close enough to the school that I am prepared to go the distance and could hold out for an acceptance longer than I would for any school.

Now I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere as well, but is a LOCI appropriate in a case such as this?

+1

Same as above poster - Placed on "HOLD" status as of today. I am hesitant to be optimistic here, but the status checker does imply that this category is much different than being WL - and that they would "continuously re-review the application" over the upcoming weeks. Anyone else in a similar boat? Anyone on this thread with experience with FSU's admissions office?

I'm interested in the LOCI question to. Congrats to all those who have been accepted and best of luck to all those still waiting to hear back!

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:49 am

--ImageRemoved--

The t-shirt. It came with a really nice card congratulating me. I have no idea who they did it for or for how long. I know that most people got them right before Christmas- I think it was supposed to be a holiday gift.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:19 am

Are those of you who got t-shirts Florida residents? I was accepted with a scholarship and I didn't get a t-shirt :( ...granted, I do intend to withdraw this week, but I don't like being left out lol!

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:38 am

cutecarmel wrote:Are those of you who got t-shirts Florida residents? I was accepted with a scholarship and I didn't get a t-shirt :( ...granted, I do intend to withdraw this week, but I don't like being left out lol!

Yup, FL resident. And no scholarship. Who knows how these admissions offices operate. I've given up trying to figure them out.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:53 am

ash0117 wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:Are those of you who got t-shirts Florida residents? I was accepted with a scholarship and I didn't get a t-shirt :( ...granted, I do intend to withdraw this week, but I don't like being left out lol!

Yup, FL resident. And no scholarship. Who knows how these admissions offices operate. I've given up trying to figure them out.

hmmm...wanna trade your t-shirt for my scholarship? lol jk.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:03 am

JerichoJohnny wrote:I was also held today. I'm just glad not to be rejected. So is this REALLY any better than the waitlist? I am fortunate in the case of FSU that I live close enough to the school that I am prepared to go the distance and could hold out for an acceptance longer than I would for any school.

I am pretty sure a hold means that you are deferred, and they may look at you again if their target number of matriculated students isn't reached. Popular opinion on this site holds that none of that crap (personal visits, LOCIs, etc.) helps really; I personally wouldn't bother. In my humble opinion, I think it would just come off as annoying.

I was admitted a while back and didn't get a t-shirt. In all honesty I couldn't care less. My numbers don't necessarily merit a scholarship. I am only slightly above median numbers-wise, and I have not received one, but I have also been accepted to UF. And quite frankly, I am having a hard time making a case for choosing FSU over UF. Anyone care to provide some insight on the topic?
Last edited by Dream Machine on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 am

Dream Machine wrote:

I think a hold means that you are deferred, and they may look at you again if their target number of matriculated students isn't reached. Popular opinion on this site holds that none of that crap (personal visits, LOCIs, etc.) helps really; I personally wouldn't bother. In my humble opinion, I think it would just come off as annoying.

I was admitted a while back and didn't get a t-shirt. In all honesty I couldn't care less. My numbers don't necessarily merit a scholarship. I am only slightly above median numbers-wise, and I have not received one, but I have also been accepted to UF. And quite frankly, I am having a hard time making a case for choosing FSU over UF. Anyone care to provide some insight on the topic?

They are pretty much identical. UF has slightly more private practice and FSU slight more government. Salaries match up almost evenly according to some threads I've come across on this site.

Visit both and figure out which location fits you better.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:09 am

Another thing I noticed was that FSU's 1L attrition rate i about 5% while UF's is less than one percent. I would be curious what accounts for this discrepancy.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”