FSU c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dream Machine

Re: FSU c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Dream Machine » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:15 pm

I am just about ready to schdule a visit and then send my deposit because UF ain't lookin' good at this point, and their admissions office has kind of put a bad taste in my mouth overall. I have been really impressed with FSU's admissions office. The phone call and personalized card really made me think they take a genuine interest in their students, and I have heard great things thus far, and their office has been really helpful in person and over the phone.

The only thing is, I can't seem to find their 1L attrition rate online. Is it a high number? The reason I ask is that I have recently heard horrror stories about certain law schools stacking sections with kids on scholarships so they lose them, stacking sections with students who they deem as less qualified applicants who inevitably fail out, such that the school keeps their bar passage rate up. and lastly and most frightening, stories about professors giving all the grades of 'A' and "B' too early in their piles of exams, so students whose exams are graded at the bottom of the pile receive a C or lower by default. I know that FSU has a wonderful reputation. Please tell me FSU doesn't engage in these sort of practices. I guess I am scared/apprehensive about the entire law school thing. Thanks.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:57 pm

I was admitted over two months ago and still no word on a scholarship. Is it safe to assume I'm not in line for one?

georgia32

Postby georgia32 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:34 pm

vguerra wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
georgia32 wrote:I applied today since Dec scores came out yesterday. The 500 word personal statement almost threw me off. haha

:shock:

I applied last year and there was no limit that I remember. I just submitted the same PS (~1000 words) and didn't even realize the 500 word max.

I also have a ~500 word short PS, but the app is already transmitted. WHAT SHOULD I DO????

I applied this cycle and I don't remember that, my PS was roughly 770 words and it wasn't an issue in my acceptance. Don't stress it

It was in the instructions, but I'm sure they get people who use their regular statement all of the time, so I doubt it's a big deal.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:43 pm

I was admitted a while ago and just recently received the application for the scholarship. They don't give it to everyone, so I'm not sure. But the deadline for submitting the application is the 31st and they will release the award amounts on Feb. 15, so if you don't hear back in 2 weeks or so, you might not receive one.

gatorlaw wrote:I was admitted over two months ago and still no word on a scholarship. Is it safe to assume I'm not in line for one?

minuit

Postby minuit » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Dream Machine wrote:I am just about ready to schdule a visit and then send my deposit because UF ain't lookin' good at this point, and their admissions office has kind of put a bad taste in my mouth overall. I have been really impressed with FSU's admissions office. The phone call and personalized card really made me think they take a genuine interest in their students, and I have heard great things thus far, and their office has been really helpful in person and over the phone.

The only thing is, I can't seem to find their 1L attrition rate online. Is it a high number? The reason I ask is that I have recently heard horrror stories about certain law schools stacking sections with kids on scholarships so they lose them, stacking sections with students who they deem as less qualified applicants who inevitably fail out, such that the school keeps their bar passage rate up. and lastly and most frightening, stories about professors giving all the grades of 'A' and "B' too early in their piles of exams, so students whose exams are graded at the bottom of the pile receive a C or lower by default. I know that FSU has a wonderful reputation. Please tell me FSU doesn't engage in these sort of practices. I guess I am scared/apprehensive about the entire law school thing. Thanks.

FSU does not section stack (or they are super super sneaky about it, because no one really thinks that, either). I know smart people in every section. Also, in all years past, FSU has not put stipulations on their scholarships, so even if you perform below median or whatever, you will still keep your scholly. That would really suck if they changed that starting this year! I've never heard of anything about unfair grading.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:14 pm

minuit wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:I am just about ready to schdule a visit and then send my deposit because UF ain't lookin' good at this point, and their admissions office has kind of put a bad taste in my mouth overall. I have been really impressed with FSU's admissions office. The phone call and personalized card really made me think they take a genuine interest in their students, and I have heard great things thus far, and their office has been really helpful in person and over the phone.

FSU does not section stack (or they are super super sneaky about it, because no one really thinks that, either). I know smart people in every section. Also, in all years past, FSU has not put stipulations on their scholarships, so even if you perform below median or whatever, you will still keep your scholly. That would really suck if they changed that starting this year! I've never heard of anything about unfair grading.

Thank you so much for the response. I assume you are a student at FSU? Have you enjoyed your experience thus far?

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:17 pm

So the general consensus is that it is acceptable to go a bit over the 500 word limit on the PS and there have been many who have done this and gotten accepted?

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:28 pm

To be completely honest, I would send a new PS that is within the 500 word limit. It seems that only one person made that mistake and if your PS is 2 times the limit, it might hurt you because you aren't following basic instructions. I don't think it would hurt to contact admissions and resend.

Prospect wrote:So the general consensus is that it is acceptable to go a bit over the 500 word limit on the PS and there have been many who have done this and gotten accepted?

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:46 pm

I decided to apply to FSU today. May be a little bit of a stretch, but we'll see what happens. Best of luck to everyone!

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:52 am

I just got accepted!! Ha, I was freaking out about my status checker change and was scrolling through this thread and totally missed the call. But I am in!!! 161/3.68

jsvaughn

Postby jsvaughn » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:22 am

still no movement for me, been complete since 11/3

wbbguy

Postby wbbguy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:50 am

woohoo, got accepted today with a call from a very nice person in the admissions office.

still waiting to hear back from UF, but I'm thinking FSU will be better scholarship and proximity for what I want to do.

I'm a UF undergrad, so this is strange, but, GO NOLES!

texag1979

Postby texag1979 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Application Complete on 24 OCT 11. Not a peep since then, but that's to be expected: 2.58/162. I took a campus visit in Oct, met Dean Widener, took the tour and all of that. I'm hoping 7 years as an Army Ranger and a Bronze Star can compensate for my GPR. Already accepted at Baylor (summer), but still hoping to have a choice between the two. Any idea on when dirtbags like me might start hearing back? The ASC says to expect an answer w/in 3 months of App Complete, so I hope to hear sometime soon...

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:27 pm

I think FSU reviews applications in order of strength rather than in the order received, so your GPA might be keeping you from receiving an application at the same time as everyone else.

texag1979 wrote:Application Complete on 24 OCT 11. Not a peep since then, but that's to be expected: 2.58/162. I took a campus visit in Oct, met Dean Widener, took the tour and all of that. I'm hoping 7 years as an Army Ranger and a Bronze Star can compensate for my GPR. Already accepted at Baylor (summer), but still hoping to have a choice between the two. Any idea on when dirtbags like me might start hearing back? The ASC says to expect an answer w/in 3 months of App Complete, so I hope to hear sometime soon...

texag1979

Postby texag1979 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 pm

cutecarmel wrote:I think FSU reviews applications in order of strength rather than in the order received, so your GPA might be keeping you from receiving an application at the same time as everyone else.

texag1979 wrote:Application Complete on 24 OCT 11. Not a peep since then, but that's to be expected: 2.58/162. I took a campus visit in Oct, met Dean Widener, took the tour and all of that. I'm hoping 7 years as an Army Ranger and a Bronze Star can compensate for my GPR. Already accepted at Baylor (summer), but still hoping to have a choice between the two. Any idea on when dirtbags like me might start hearing back? The ASC says to expect an answer w/in 3 months of App Complete, so I hope to hear sometime soon...

Completely understandable. Is there any harm in calling FSU and asking when I can expect an answer?

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:01 pm

I don't think it would do any harm to ask.

texag1979 wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:I think FSU reviews applications in order of strength rather than in the order received, so your GPA might be keeping you from receiving an application at the same time as everyone else.

Completely understandable. Is there any harm in calling FSU and asking when I can expect an answer?

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Can anyone provide any information about ASD/ASW? I just scheduled my visit to W&L and want to make sure I don't double-book my weekends.

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:20 pm

Ironic ... I just got the email. :D

EuroDisney

Postby EuroDisney » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:41 pm

After three and a half months, my status changed today to "decision made and will arrive by mail." No seat deposit numbers are showing at all. Does this mean they didn't let me in?

vguerra

Postby vguerra » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:27 pm

jaysgirl42671 wrote:Can anyone provide any information about ASD/ASW? I just scheduled my visit to W&L and want to make sure I don't double-book my weekends.

I didn't get that info, or maybe I skipped over it in my inbox. When is it?

texag1979

Postby texag1979 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:24 pm

EuroDisney wrote:After three and a half months, my status changed today to "decision made and will arrive by mail." No seat deposit numbers are showing at all. Does this mean they didn't let me in?

What was your status prior to today?

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:30 pm

It's February 24th

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Not positive, but if you are really anxious, I'm sure you can call.

EuroDisney wrote:After three and a half months, my status changed today to "decision made and will arrive by mail." No seat deposit numbers are showing at all. Does this mean they didn't let me in?

EuroDisney

Postby EuroDisney » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:43 pm

texag1979 wrote:

What was your status prior to today?

I had been at complete since September 29, with no changes until the notice last week. I'm not particularly anxious, just glad to finally have a decision. My status had previously indicated that they would have reached a decision within 3 months of September 29. Nothing in my mailbox as of this afternoon, but it might take a few days for mail to get from Florida to California.

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:17 pm

I got a call so I'm not sure? And I've been waiting for my "official" decision for a week now, and I'm in Tampa, FL.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”