Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: FSU c/o 2015 applicants
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:03 pm 

Just got in today! The lady who called with the good news was very nice, and seemed to be genuinely excited about a visit. Figured I would make this thread for everyone who is in, out, wl'ed, waiting, applying, or thinking about applying. What say you??

Post subject: Re: FSU c/o 2015 applicants
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:29 pm 

murray18 wrote:
Just got in today! The lady who called with the good news was very nice, and seemed to be genuinely excited about a visit. Figured I would make this thread for everyone who is in, out, wl'ed, waiting, applying, or thinking about applying. What say you??

Congrats! I am half way through my first semester and happy to take any questions anyone may have. I cant promise speedy responses, but ill do my best!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:34 pm 

Awesome, thanks for the help! A few questions:

-What schools did you pass on to go to FSU?
-How did you pick FSU?
-What are your favorite/least favorite things about the school that you realized after starting?
-Did you receive any $$/what were your numbers? (if you dont mind me asking)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:41 pm 

I'm also an FSU 1L and would be glad to answer any questions you guys have.

For the ones posed so far...
I chose FSU over UF, Ohio State, Miami, Georgia State, and Temple.
I was really sold after touring the school. Every school you visit will tell you about the sense of community and how easy-going everyone is, but students at FSU really mean it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:31 pm 

murray18 wrote:
Awesome, thanks for the help! A few questions:

-What schools did you pass on to go to FSU?
-How did you pick FSU?
-What are your favorite/least favorite things about the school that you realized after starting?
-Did you receive any $$/what were your numbers? (if you dont mind me asking)

-I got in off the waitlist very late in the game, so FSU was my best choice. I was also riding out UFs waitlist, but when I got the call from FSU, I dropped them like a bad habit. I got into UM and Stetson, but they are too expensive ITE.
-Im a Florida resident so clearly FSU gives me a good chance to find meaningful employment in the state. I wouldn't come here expecting to make six figures starting out unless you pwn law school, but FSU has a great rep throughout Florida. Also, tuition is pretty cheap if your in-state.
-Positives: The atmosphere(Like Cosby said, everyone's pretty chill and normal. Upperclassmen put forth a lot of effort to help out whenever they can), the professors(my Prof. professor is by far my most favorite and at the same time least favorite professor i've ever had) and the town(Tallahassee is a real gem and the food is great). I don't go out much cause i'm married, but from my few times out and what i have heard, the social scene is solid.
Negatives: The occasional gunner gets on my nerves but that has nothing to do with FSU. I have nothing to complain about. The library might be a bit old, but Im being overly picky. Im proud to attend FSU.
-I didnt receive any merit-based cash. As to my numbers: LSAT was slightly below median and GPA was slightly above median. I will add, cause it does matter, that im your typical white male.

Ask more if you would like....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:14 am 

Hey guys! I got accepted yesterday. The dean of admissions called me and my online status checker now reflects that!

Do you think I'll get any money? And if so, when would it be offered? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:24 pm 

Hey guys!

Congrats to those of you already accepted… Go Noles! Just curious when did you guys submit your applications and any hints maybe of your numbers? I had no idea they were already sending out acceptance letters already, I visited UF last weekend and they don’t even begin reviewing till November, visiting FSU next week.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:27 am 

Thx to all current FSU law students and congrats to others recently admitted. I was very suprised with the speedy reponse of FSU. I completed my UG there this August and was accepted to the law program 10/10/11. Although Florida itself isnt (in my opinion) as beautiful country as Tennessee or WA; the campus really does have a great atmosphere about it. Excited about the first school year beginning in 12'.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:09 pm 

In reply to MichNole, I submitted around october 3rd, and got in on the 11th. My numbers were 3.01/168 if that helps. Good luck to you! I'm also visiting FSU not this week but the next. Let us know how it goes, and I'll be sure to do the same!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:31 pm 

I sent in my app in late September (20th?...ish) and I got accepted 10/12. My numbers are 3.78/162. I don't know if I'll go there though...I visited Tallahassee a few years ago and I can't say I was thrilled with the town. If Miami doesn't give me $ and UF doesn't let me in, I'll probably be headed there :). Good luck everybody!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:49 pm 

What exactly did you dislike about the town? I'm kind of in the same boat as you it looks like though, except I'm waiting to hear from Bama and UGA (I don't think they could pay enough to go to UF... haha)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:52 am 

Well, I'm finishing up my undergrad at UF and though I love my school, I miss living in a large city. Tallahassee is deceiving as a state capital...it's actually a pretty small city, nothing compared to Miami or Tampa.

I know Miami is a much lower ranked school than UF or FSU but after spending 4 years in Gainesville, I can honestly say that, for me, location is perhaps more important than ranking (in Florida.) Yes UF and FSU are great, but the market in South Florida is heavily controlled by Miami grads...and that's where I'd like to live, so I think the location-ranking equation for UMiami is a sound trade off. That being said, it's way overpriced so I'd only pursue that option with a hefty $ from their adcomm.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:49 pm 

For those of you that already applied, how long did it take to get your status checker email? FSU is the only school that I have not received one from thus far.... With the application decisions coming so quick, I was curious about the delay. LSAC states that FSU received my credential assembly report the next day.... hmmmm

gatorlaw wrote:
Hey guys! I got accepted yesterday. The dean of admissions called me and my online status checker now reflects that!

Do you think I'll get any money? And if so, when would it be offered? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:38 am 

FSU was pretty quick in sending an email with the status checker login/pass; approx. 24 hrs after having sent for the report. But some of the other schools I applied to took arnd 1-3 days.

@ JK910 "For those of you that already applied, how long did it take to get your status checker email? FSU is the only school that I have not received one from thus far.... With the application decisions coming so quick, I was curious about the delay. LSAC states that FSU received my credential assembly report the next day.... hmmmm"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:06 am 

I got my status checker email yesterday... must have been a back log or something (or maybe my application was so awesome that it left them speechless????)

caseyofaim wrote:
FSU was pretty quick in sending an email with the status checker login/pass; approx. 24 hrs after having sent for the report. But some of the other schools I applied to took arnd 1-3 days.

@ JK910 "For those of you that already applied, how long did it take to get your status checker email? FSU is the only school that I have not received one from thus far.... With the application decisions coming so quick, I was curious about the delay. LSAC states that FSU received my credential assembly report the next day.... hmmmm"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:25 pm 

Yeah it took them almost a week to send my status checker stuff. They admitted me the next day so there really wasn't much use haha. The other schools I'm applying to don't have very good status checkers... Pretty sure I'm just going to wait for a call or a lack thereof. Good luck to you! Also, I set up a visit this coming thursday, I'll be sure to post pictures and such if you guys want.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:31 pm 

murray18 wrote:
Yeah it took them almost a week to send my status checker stuff. They admitted me the next day so there really wasn't much use haha. The other schools I'm applying to don't have very good status checkers... Pretty sure I'm just going to wait for a call or a lack thereof. Good luck to you! Also, I set up a visit this coming thursday, I'll be sure to post pictures and such if you guys want.

That would be awesome... I can't make it to Florida until later this year, so that info would help satisfy my curiosity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:03 pm 

you got it. i'm not a great photographer, and ive never been there before so the pictures may not actually satisfy, but i'll do my best haha. i'll also try to ask a bunch of questions and relay the answers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 am 

I applied early with a previous LSAT score and have been complete for a couple weeks, but just received my new, higher Oct. LSAT score and was wondering if since I've been complete will FSU see the new score before making a decision? Does the status checker change to under review before you get accepted?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:02 am 

Im no LSAC expert, but I'm pretty sure they will send along changes to your file automatically. And yes, mine went under review and I got in the next day. Good luck!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:11 am 

murray18 wrote:
Im no LSAC expert, but I'm pretty sure they will send along changes to your file automatically. And yes, mine went under review and I got in the next day. Good luck!!

Thanks for the response! I checked my LSAC report status and they sent FSU my new score. I was just worried since I've been complete that FSU had already made a decision before seeing the new score.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:24 pm 

It seems like FSU has a fairly quick turnaround time. I don't expect UF to get back to any applicants until the week of Thanksgiving or so. If I submitted my application this weekend can anyone tell me apx. how quickly I might expect a response from FSU? 4.0/163 if it matters.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:39 am 

seancris wrote:
It seems like FSU has a fairly quick turnaround time. I don't expect UF to get back to any applicants until the week of Thanksgiving or so. If I submitted my application this weekend can anyone tell me apx. how quickly I might expect a response from FSU? 4.0/163 if it matters.

I'm accepted (non-traditional, pretty good softs, 5+ years real world working).... your numbers are similar to mine. Good luck. Most people heard within a week of their status switching to Under Review. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:13 pm 

Accepted last week. Quick turn around!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:30 pm 

Did you get the decision in the mail or did it say on your status checker?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next