GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BmoreOrLess

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BmoreOrLess » Wed May 30, 2012 9:21 am

parebare23 wrote:I have already submitted my 1st and 2nd deposit - any chance you all think I could go back and ask for more at this point? And if so, in a tactful way?

You should definitely try, but at this point it's probably going to be tough to get money from them. The reason they are throwing money at waitlisted kids is because they are desperate to fill their class and also likely desperate to round out their LSAT/GPA medians. Have you gotten off any waitlists in the T14/Vandy/UT that you can negotiate with? That's likely going to be the only way you can get some $$ now that you've deposited. Other than that it's possible if you threaten to walk and wait a year they might hook you up, but I'm not sure what they need to be able to count your numbers for the rankings. If they can already count you as enrolled from your deposit, your likely SOL.

blurose

Section 15

Postby blurose » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:03 am

Anyone notice this on the admitted students portal? Thoughts?

"In response to requests from a number of students seeking a four-day class schedule, we have created a full-time section (Section 15) for which classes are held Monday through Thursday, with no classes on Friday. Section 15 classes do not begin on any day before noon and end no later than 9:30 p.m.

Section 15 is available for a limited number of full-time students who wish to opt in. Two classes for students in Section 15 will meet in the afternoons, and two classes will meet in the evenings, along with the first-year evening students. The small Legal Research & Writing classes for Section 15 will meet in either the afternoons or the evenings.

There is space for approximately 70 students in Section 15. If more students request Section 15 than we are able to accommodate, we will assign students to the section through a lottery system. If you wish to be considered for this alternative schedule, please e-mail JoSie Shelby-Wilson, Director of Admissions, at josie at law .gwu.edu. Please include Section 15 in the subject line of your message.

Full-time first-year students will be assigned to each of the other four full-time sections randomly. Students in sections other than 15 will have classes Monday through Friday."

blurose

Postby blurose » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:42 pm

I was offered 12k plus Aston. I have until Wednesday to give them an answer. I was hoping for more aid, especially since I've seen others on TLS Stats with similar numbers get offered 25k. I was told that I'd be put on a list in case more money is freed up, but I'm pretty sure once I submit my deposit they won't offer me anything more, they have no incentive to do so.Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Wily

Postby Wily » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:51 am

blurose wrote:I was offered 12k plus Aston. I have until Wednesday to give them an answer. I was hoping for more aid, especially since I've seen others on TLS Stats with similar numbers get offered 25k. I was told that I'd be put on a list in case more money is freed up, but I'm pretty sure once I submit my deposit they won't offer me anything more, they have no incentive to do so.Any suggestions on how to go about this?

"Plus Aston" - do you mean you just got on the list to live there, or do you mean they're paying for you to live there? Because that's a huge $17k a year if they're paying for that...

You might have been referring to me, I have a 168/2.7 and will attend with $25k a year. I think you might have success being aggressive in showing GW your other scholarship offers when you ask for more money. That's what I did right when I found out I was admitted from the WL, and their first offer was the $25k, which I haven't been able to raise since then.

blurose

Postby blurose » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Wily wrote:
blurose wrote:I was offered 12k plus Aston. I have until Wednesday to give them an answer. I was hoping for more aid, especially since I've seen others on TLS Stats with similar numbers get offered 25k. I was told that I'd be put on a list in case more money is freed up, but I'm pretty sure once I submit my deposit they won't offer me anything more, they have no incentive to do so.Any suggestions on how to go about this?

"Plus Aston" - do you mean you just got on the list to live there, or do you mean they're paying for you to live there? Because that's a huge $17k a year if they're paying for that...

You might have been referring to me, I have a 168/2.7 and will attend with $25k a year. I think you might have success being aggressive in showing GW your other scholarship offers when you ask for more money. That's what I did right when I found out I was admitted from the WL, and their first offer was the $25k, which I haven't been able to raise since then.

Yeah, when I said plus Aston I meant they are covering the cost of living there for the first year. I don't think it goes beyond that since that's housing for 1Ls. I don't think my aid offer goes beyond 1L either, I think it's just 12,000 for the first year. It's need-based aid so there's no stipulation, and I am hoping I might get more the following years since by then I will be old enough that they will not request my parents' information, although I would be surprised if my parents' information caused them to award me less this year because their income is minimal.

edit: Yep, I was referring to you, Wily, when I said that about others receiving more aid. Also a couple of people on TLS Stats, although perhaps in their case they applied early or their GPAs were higher than mine. I mean, I realize that this is a nice offer and I am grateful for it, really. I'm just really nervous about taking on so much debt, and the scaremongers on these forums don't help. I hear a lot about how GW is overrated for what you are expected to pay or take on in debt, and I would hate to make an unwise investment with very little certainty with regards to job prospects, although of course I know I'm not the only one with this problem. You're right that the Aston stipend is a big help, since it costs $16,900 to live there for two semesters. I was told either I could have that or $5,000 in merit-based aid, plus the 12,000 in need-based aid. Aston seemed like the better deal.

Wily

Postby Wily » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:52 pm

blurose wrote:
Wily wrote:

Yeah, when I said plus Aston I meant they are covering the cost of living there for the first year. I don't think it goes beyond that since that's housing for 1Ls. I don't think my aid offer goes beyond 1L either, I think it's just 12,000 for the first year. It's need-based aid so there's no stipulation, and I am hoping I might get more the following years since by then I will be old enough that they will not request my parents' information, although I would be surprised if my parents' information caused them to award me less this year because their income is minimal.

edit: Yep, I was referring to you, Wily, when I said that about others receiving more aid. Also a couple of people on TLS Stats, although perhaps in their case they applied early or their GPAs were higher than mine. I mean, I realize that this is a nice offer and I am grateful for it, really. I'm just really nervous about taking on so much debt, and the scaremongers on these forums don't help. I hear a lot about how GW is overrated for what you are expected to pay or take on in debt, and I would hate to make an unwise investment with very little certainty with regards to job prospects, although of course I know I'm not the only one with this problem. You're right that the Aston stipend is a big help, since it costs $16,900 to live there for two semesters. I was told either I could have that or $5,000 in merit-based aid, plus the 12,000 in need-based aid. Aston seemed like the better deal.

Yea, I hear you about the debt. I'm also scared of taking the $40,000 or so I'll need every year on top of my merit scholarship.

Basically, you got the equivalent of about $29,000 your first year. I think the merit and need based aid is fungible, and that you can't get need based if you get over $16,000 a year in merit aid, so it seems like what you got is about right for your numbers, at least for year 1. I wonder if they'll give you housing for the next two years too. Maybe you should ask them, that would make a big difference when you're considering them vs other schools.

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:40 pm

blurose wrote:
Wily wrote:

GW gives all the need based aid to incoming 1Ls. You will not get more. I got the max for 1L and only $3k for 2L despite having a far lower efc. Fin aid told me its b/c they give incoming students all the money and there isn't much leftover.

Zionman

Postby Zionman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:12 pm

dudders wrote:
blurose wrote:
Wily wrote:

GW gives all the need based aid to incoming 1Ls. You will not get more. I got the max for 1L and only $3k for 2L despite having a far lower efc. Fin aid told me its b/c they give incoming students all the money and there isn't much leftover.

really! i heard it only decreased marginally over the next couple years. if you're right, that would be pretty misleading.

mshao3

Postby mshao3 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:10 am

For those of you who got off the WL and received some $$, did they mention the $$ in the email? Or was it only stated in the official letter?

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:17 am

mshao3 wrote:For those of you who got off the WL and received some $$, did they mention the $$ in the email? Or was it only stated in the official letter?

Mine was done strictly through negotiation. But it came in a email about a week and a half after I got off the waitlist.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:53 am

dudders wrote:
blurose wrote:
Wily wrote:

What a scam.

mshao3

Postby mshao3 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:56 am

BmoreOrLess wrote:
mshao3 wrote:For those of you who got off the WL and received some $$, did they mention the $$ in the email? Or was it only stated in the official letter?

Mine was done strictly through negotiation. But it came in a email about a week and a half after I got off the waitlist.

I sent an email yesterday to negotiate. Sophia replied me today and said that they "have over exhausted" their fund...:cry:

dclaw2015

Postby dclaw2015 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:45 am

Any movement on WL?

ajax

Postby ajax » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:18 pm

For all of you worried about debt, you might want to give this a quick read. It shows a letter recently sent out to many of the GW class of 2012. Man it would be brutal to have taken out loans to cover the tuition for anyone in this "P2P" program:

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/

Included is this quote fyi: "In addition GW is currently admitting people off its wait list and offering them 60% off list tuition, which must thrill the people with better credentials who were admitted six months ago and will be paying sticker."

wisbey

Postby wisbey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:25 am

dclaw2015 wrote:Any movement on WL?

I got in off the waitlist on Friday. I was notified via email and they included a financial aid application. There was no mention of merit aid in the email and I was curious how people have been starting the negotiation process. Thanks.

GPA 3.94, LSAT 163, with an MA in PP

blurose

Postby blurose » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:54 pm

I just withdrew from GW. Good luck to those still waiting!

nellie_bly

Postby nellie_bly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:18 am

So after sending in the seat deposit, what is the next step exactly?

I know I should accept my aid package and send in my immunization history. Is there an enrollment form?

dclaw2015

Postby dclaw2015 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:30 pm

nellie_bly wrote:So after sending in the seat deposit, what is the next step exactly?

I know I should accept my aid package and send in my immunization history. Is there an enrollment form?

Now wait for orientation.

dclaw2015

Postby dclaw2015 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:12 am

Any movement on WL?

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:09 am

I just got notified on Monday via email that I was accepted off the waitlist. I don't know if I'm attending though, partially because I have gotten cold feet and partially because I assumed over a month ago that I was going to be completely locked out - GW was the last WL I was on - so now I'm rather unprepared for all the last minute things I have to get together to make this happen. I'm also really hoping that a decent amount of need-based aid would come through for me.

Two questions: 1) Does anyone have any experience with asking them to waive the seat deposit? I need to ask for this, but don't know how to word it. 2) Do I really have to send them my undergrad transcript again? That seems so pointless but according the ASP, the transcript via LSAC does not count. That doesn't make sense to me, unless one was a senior at the time of applying and now needs to send a complete transcript. I guess I'm just annoyed by that b/c everything feels so rushed now.

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:17 am

cynthia rose wrote:I just got notified on Monday via email that I was accepted off the waitlist. I don't know if I'm attending though, partially because I have gotten cold feet and partially because I assumed over a month ago that I was going to be completely locked out - GW was the last WL I was on - so now I'm rather unprepared for all the last minute things I have to get together to make this happen. I'm also really hoping that a decent amount of need-based aid would come through for me.

Two questions: 1) Does anyone have any experience with asking them to waive the seat deposit? I need to ask for this, but don't know how to word it. 2) Do I really have to send them my undergrad transcript again? That seems so pointless but according the ASP, the transcript via LSAC does not count. That doesn't make sense to me, unless one was a senior at the time of applying and now needs to send a complete transcript. I guess I'm just annoyed by that b/c everything feels so rushed now.

I don't have experience with 1), but do make sure you ask them for scholarship money. You have a pulse, they should give you at least $20k and you should ask for more. I'm pretty sure 2) is par for the course. I think every school asks you for official copies of your transcripts.

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:23 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
cynthia rose wrote:I just got notified on Monday via email that I was accepted off the waitlist. I don't know if I'm attending though, partially because I have gotten cold feet and partially because I assumed over a month ago that I was going to be completely locked out - GW was the last WL I was on - so now I'm rather unprepared for all the last minute things I have to get together to make this happen. I'm also really hoping that a decent amount of need-based aid would come through for me.

I don't have experience with 1), but do make sure you ask them for scholarship money. You have a pulse, they should give you at least $20k and you should ask for more. I'm pretty sure 2) is par for the course. I think every school asks you for official copies of your transcripts.

Ah, thanks. Maybe if I'd gotten more acceptances I'd be familiar with point #2. :? (And just like clockwork, I am now getting an email reminding me, among other things, that transcripts are needed by August 1.)

ub3rm3nsch

Postby ub3rm3nsch » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:32 am

[deleted]
Last edited by ub3rm3nsch on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wily

Postby Wily » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Hey just wondering if anyone's done the loans yet on the GW website -
I have mine finished for a few weeks, and it says "Web Accept" need to them, and hasn't changed status. Should it say something else when the loans go through? Thanks.

OhHelpMeLawd

Postby OhHelpMeLawd » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Lookin for housing. Who needs a roomate? Or, who knows of a place? I am trying to be a poor college student and get an inexpensive place, but with 21 days to go, I will settle for pretty much anything at this point.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”