GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
roaringeagle
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby roaringeagle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:20 pm

I hope one of you gets my spot and some of my money.

superjohnnnn
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby superjohnnnn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:01 pm

still no decision received... rejection, wl, acceptance... nothing
:evil:

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lgleye » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:41 pm

H
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nammertat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nammertat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:46 pm

lgleye wrote:Hi People !!! I was waitlisted in early February........... just got an acceptance package in the mail today !! Read the message saying that email to follow.

Feels great, but I'm withdrawing so I hope this goes to one of you good people. I've decided on staying with Fordham, my home town. I knwo GW is 9 spots higher on the rankings, but considering that I plan on practicing only in NYC, Fordham's grad network will give me a leg up (so long as I don't decide later on going national).

Thanks for your copany during these trying months. Best of Luck to all !!!


Would you mind sharing numbers?

OSSplitter
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:29 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby OSSplitter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:48 pm

superjohnnnn wrote:still no decision received... rejection, wl, acceptance... nothing
:evil:


That's sucks man. I'm in the same boat (well, "held" officially...which means about the same thing as no word) elsewhere. Goodluck man, and hang in there.

nellie_bly
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nellie_bly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:50 am

lgleye wrote:Hi People !!! I was waitlisted in early February........... just got an acceptance package in the mail today !! Read the message saying that email to follow.

Feels great, but I'm withdrawing so I hope this goes to one of you good people. I've decided on staying with Fordham, my home town. I knwo GW is 9 spots higher on the rankings, but considering that I plan on practicing only in NYC, Fordham's grad network will give me a leg up (so long as I don't decide later on going national).

Thanks for your copany during these trying months. Best of Luck to all !!!



Did you see any changes on your status checker?

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lgleye » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:14 am

[
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lgleye » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:21 am

[
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Wily » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:10 pm

I just got in off the waitlist. No information on scholarship in the initial email. Did anyone else get scholarship info in their initial acceptance email? Or is it only with the mail?

Assuming I have no scholarship, I'm faced with a tough decision between GW and Cardozo w/ $30,000 a year. Le sigh!

User avatar
Nammertat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nammertat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:17 pm

Wily wrote:I just got in off the waitlist. No information on scholarship in the initial email. Did anyone else get scholarship info in their initial acceptance email? Or is it only with the mail?

Assuming I have no scholarship, I'm faced with a tough decision between GW and Cardozo w/ $30,000 a year. Le sigh!


#FirstWorldProblems :)

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lgleye » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:32 pm

[
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Wily » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:35 pm

lgleye wrote:
Wily wrote:I just got in off the waitlist. No information on scholarship in the initial email. Did anyone else get scholarship info in their initial acceptance email? Or is it only with the mail?

Assuming I have no scholarship, I'm faced with a tough decision between GW and Cardozo w/ $30,000 a year. Le sigh!



I wouldn't be surprised if you got something........... I received my acceptance pack (leather folder w/ brochures) did say that an official email would be coming........ 2 emails followed, the first a re-hash of the admit, and the 2nd a few days later with $16k per year.
Apparently, GW is feeling the chill from all those who withdrew their apps to attend other schools, and freeing up money.
btw, I'm attending Fordham........ nCardozo has a great securities and corporate governance, but if you want IP, then GW is the place to be. Also DC is great...lived there during undergrad.
Good luck.


I think your numbers were stronger than mine, lgleye, but I'm still hoping I get something. $70,000+ a year would just be too much to stomach, I think. Did you apply for / receive any need-based aid too? I applied for that also, will hear back this Thursday or Friday.

For those who got scholarships from GW, mind posting your numbers or PMing them to me? Thanks a bunch - just waiting anxiously for their decision!

User avatar
aeiouy
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aeiouy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Wily wrote:I think your numbers were stronger than mine, lgleye, but I'm still hoping I get something. $70,000+ a year would just be too much to stomach, I think. Did you apply for / receive any need-based aid too? I applied for that also, will hear back this Thursday or Friday.

For those who got scholarships from GW, mind posting your numbers or PMing them to me? Thanks a bunch - just waiting anxiously for their decision!


Do you mind telling me how you know you'll hear back by then? I submitted my information, but I haven't received any information regarding a response timeframe.

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Wily » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:26 pm

aeiouy wrote:
Wily wrote:I think your numbers were stronger than mine, lgleye, but I'm still hoping I get something. $70,000+ a year would just be too much to stomach, I think. Did you apply for / receive any need-based aid too? I applied for that also, will hear back this Thursday or Friday.

For those who got scholarships from GW, mind posting your numbers or PMing them to me? Thanks a bunch - just waiting anxiously for their decision!


Do you mind telling me how you know you'll hear back by then? I submitted my information, but I haven't received any information regarding a response timeframe.


I emailed them asking if they could decide merit/financial aid by May 4, because I have a housing deadline at another school due at that time. They said they would try their best to get me the info by then.

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Wily » Tue May 01, 2012 11:53 pm

They got back to me with a $25k/year offer! Now I'm trying to decide between GW and Cardozo at near-full ($42k a year). Still going to be a close one!

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue May 01, 2012 11:54 pm

Wily wrote:They got back to me with a $25k/year offer! Now I'm trying to decide between GW and Cardozo at near-full ($42k a year). Still going to be a close one!


Mind sharing your numbers?

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Wily » Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
Wily wrote:They got back to me with a $25k/year offer! Now I'm trying to decide between GW and Cardozo at near-full ($42k a year). Still going to be a close one!


Mind sharing your numbers?


2.7/168. I do think I had some some good softs, including a strong addendum for my low GPA and the fact that I went to HYP for undergrad, have 3-4 years of work experience, etc. That being said, I'm still amazed they gave me this amount with my terrible GPA.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed May 02, 2012 12:08 am

Wily wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
Wily wrote:They got back to me with a $25k/year offer! Now I'm trying to decide between GW and Cardozo at near-full ($42k a year). Still going to be a close one!


Mind sharing your numbers?


2.7/168. I do think I had some some good softs, including a strong addendum for my low GPA and the fact that I went to HYP for undergrad, have 3-4 years of work experience, etc. That being said, I'm still amazed they gave me this amount with my terrible GPA.


Thanks, and congrats. They didn't give me anything at first either but just a couple emails were enough to get a pretty decently sized amount of money. People should definitely try to negotiate, and be patient.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby emkay625 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:26 am

Got a scholarship e-mail this morning? I was confused by it. I thought they'd all been given out? I also was surprised a. by how much it was b. because hasn't their deadline passed?

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lgleye » Wed May 02, 2012 10:46 am

[
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Wily » Wed May 02, 2012 10:48 am

lgleye wrote:
Wily wrote:
lgleye wrote:
Wily wrote:I just got in off the waitlist. No information on scholarship in the initial email. Did anyone else get scholarship info in their initial acceptance email? Or is it only with the mail?

Assuming I have no scholarship, I'm faced with a tough decision between GW and Cardozo w/ $30,000 a year. Le sigh!



I wouldn't be surprised if you got something........... I received my acceptance pack (leather folder w/ brochures) did say that an official email would be coming........ 2 emails followed, the first a re-hash of the admit, and the 2nd a few days later with $16k per year.
Apparently, GW is feeling the chill from all those who withdrew their apps to attend other schools, and freeing up money.
btw, I'm attending Fordham........ nCardozo has a great securities and corporate governance, but if you want IP, then GW is the place to be. Also DC is great...lived there during undergrad.
Good luck.


I think your numbers were stronger than mine, lgleye, but I'm still hoping I get something. $70,000+ a year would just be too much to stomach, I think. Did you apply for / receive any need-based aid too? I applied for that also, will hear back this Thursday or Friday.

For those who got scholarships from GW, mind posting your numbers or PMing them to me? Thanks a bunch - just waiting anxiously for their decision!


They just increased my scholly to $20K per year........ stomach getting queasy about staying at Fordham.


How much did Fordham give you? What are your stats?

Maybe you should pick GW so I can get off the WL at Fordham ;)

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lgleye » Wed May 02, 2012 11:05 am

H
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Wily » Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 pm

lgleye wrote:Hey, Wily...

Fordham didn't give me a dime.......wasn't budged by the fact of my other offers, including 105K at Cardozo and $60K GW. They're known for being cheap bastards, but I'm surprised by the disparity considering that they're 29th and GW is 20th.

As for turning down GW anyway, I did it not because of the school or its location....I spent 4 years there as an undergrad and it was really wonderful...... civil people, cleaner, etc. However, the one thing I did learn that I missed NYC and its energy.

In your case, I'd take GW in a second..... Cardozo is an excellent school, especially for corporation governance and seurities, but GW law has a 30-spot advantage in the rankings above Cardozo....... it's just too much to ignore. When you graduate from Cardozo, unless you're LR and among the top 4 percent, you won't get a second look from the big boys.

Bottom line....You will not regret going to GW over Cardozo. Years from now, maybe we';ll meet in court some day. Even though you'll be coming from a higher ranked school than mine, IU'll try to give you a run for your money.....ha ha.

Lastly....... it's a great feeling for all of us.......... we're gonna go to law school !!!


Thanks for the encouragement, bro. I'm leaning towards GW now, but still deciding. Congratulations on Fordham and best of luck there!

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Rawlberto » Wed May 02, 2012 3:38 pm

emkay625 wrote:Got a scholarship e-mail this morning? I was confused by it. I thought they'd all been given out? I also was surprised a. by how much it was b. because hasn't their deadline passed?


Same. I ended up getting $90,000 over three years. 167/3.3/Mexican American. Honestly pretty blown away. I am honestly really considering this offer.

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Wily » Sat May 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Just sent in my scholarship acceptance form! Now I'm going to be looking for housing in the Aston. I look forward to meeting you all in the class of 2015!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”