GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ganggreen

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ganggreen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:53 pm

WL and withdrawn (164/3.9). Good luck all

emaye

Postby emaye » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Just got the merit scholarship consideration email asking me for more information. Should I tell them I'm in at Michigan and American, with a scholarship at American and waiting on a Michigan scholarship, or are they going to think that I'm not going to leave Michigan (my undergrad) and not bother trying to lure me there? If they beat American's money (not that hard to do) I'll definitely go...

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:47 pm

emaye wrote:Just got the merit scholarship consideration email asking me for more information. Should I tell them I'm in at Michigan and American, with a scholarship at American and waiting on a Michigan scholarship, or are they going to think that I'm not going to leave Michigan (my undergrad) and not bother trying to lure me there? If they beat American's money (not that hard to do) I'll definitely go...

easier to help if you give numbers

emaye

Postby emaye » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
emaye wrote:Just got the merit scholarship consideration email asking me for more information. Should I tell them I'm in at Michigan and American, with a scholarship at American and waiting on a Michigan scholarship, or are they going to think that I'm not going to leave Michigan (my undergrad) and not bother trying to lure me there? If they beat American's money (not that hard to do) I'll definitely go...

easier to help if you give numbers

I got $20,000 for first year at American and haven't heard back from Michigan yet. But someone comparable got $20,000 per year at Michigan so that wouldn't necessarily be out of the realm of possibility. But since I want to be in DC for specific career goals, I'd almost certainly go to GW with money.

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:50 am

I just checked the new US news ranking, under GW they have listed

Careers

Graduates known to be employed at graduation 56.1% - Medium

Is anyone completely shocked over this? 56.1% employed? That's with fudged numbers? There are schools that are 20 or 30 ranks lower with much better employment stats.

What is going on with GW? I thought the economy was supposed to be getting better.

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:00 am

2015JD wrote:I just checked the new US news ranking, under GW they have listed

Careers

Is anyone completely shocked over this? 56.1% employed? That's with fudged numbers? There are schools that are 20 or 30 ranks lower with much better employment stats.

What is going on with GW? I thought the economy was supposed to be getting better.

The 2011 employment statistics give a good picture of what the BigLaw(ish) picture at GW - 92/518 went to firms with 251+ employees. So if that's a better economy to you, by all means, come join us.
http://www.law.gwu.edu/Careers/prospect ... stics.aspx

junm

Postby junm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:00 am

Careers

Well... Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought "known to be employed" meant the people who reported. For all we know the other 43.9% could have just not reported. Then again I could be completely wrong. Can someone clear this up for me?

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:03 am

junm wrote:

Careers

Well... Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought "known to be employed" meant the people who reported. For all we know the other 43.9% could have just not reported. Then again I could be completely wrong. Can someone clear this up for me?

This is correct.

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:21 am

Jaeger wrote:
junm wrote:

Careers

This is correct.

Doesn't make me feel better. If the grads had jobs they were "proud" of they most likely would have reported. GW has the worst job stats out of the top 35 law schools (beaten by University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill with 51.9% employed).

junm

Postby junm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:31 am

dudders wrote:

Careers

The 2011 employment statistics give a good picture of what the BigLaw(ish) picture at GW - 92/518 went to firms with 251+ employees. So if that's a better economy to you, by all means, come join us.
http://www.law.gwu.edu/Careers/prospect ... stics.aspx
2015JD wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
junm wrote:

Careers

This is correct.

Doesn't make me feel better. If the grads had jobs they were "proud" of they most likely would have reported. GW has the worst job stats out of the top 35 law schools (beaten by University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill with 51.9% employed).

According to the website posted by dudders, only 14 out of 518 graduates in 2011 are unemployed. That comes out to a 97% employment rate after 9 months.

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:33 am

Than what explains the massive difference in numbers? Also forgive me if I tend to believe the more neutral stat's given by USNWR, and over those posted by GW.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:43 am

2015JD wrote:Than what explains the massive difference in numbers? Also forgive me if I tend to believe the more neutral stat's given by USNWR, and over those posted by GW.

The 50+% number is at graduation. 95+% is after 9 months. Also, keep in mind "employed" is really quite deceiving. Most of us would fall in that category even before law school.

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Jaeger wrote:
2015JD wrote:Than what explains the massive difference in numbers? Also forgive me if I tend to believe the more neutral stat's given by USNWR, and over those posted by GW.

The 50+% number is at graduation. 95+% is after 9 months. Also, keep in mind "employed" is really quite deceiving. Most of us would fall in that category even before law school.

Also, GW has a "Road to the Future" Fellows program that essentially pays for unemployed graduates to work for free in an internship after graduation while they continue job-searching. It's not a bad program, but GW shouldn't be counting those folks in it's employed numbers, which I think they do. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:21 am

Okay, internet friends. I'd like your advice.

It's been almost a month since I requested merit aid from GW citing my T14 acceptances, and it's been over a week since I told them of my merit scholarship offer from GULC. Still no offer from GW. Is it time for me to give up and withdraw? Given my GULC scholly, I don't think I can consider GW without $$$$, and they don't seem inclined to make me such an offer. Or any offer, for that matter.

What do you think? Is it time for me to take GW out of consideration and free up my spot for someone on the WL?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:02 am

crumpledq wrote:Okay, internet friends. I'd like your advice.

It's been almost a month since I requested merit aid from GW citing my T14 acceptances, and it's been over a week since I told them of my merit scholarship offer from GULC. Still no offer from GW. Is it time for me to give up and withdraw? Given my GULC scholly, I don't think I can consider GW without $$$$, and they don't seem inclined to make me such an offer. Or any offer, for that matter.

What do you think? Is it time for me to take GW out of consideration and free up my spot for someone on the WL?

If there is no way you would attend GW unless they give you much more than GULC... I think you should withdraw and attend GULC. If it helps....I told GW about all my scholarships from schools ranked much higher( Vandy , WUSTL , UCLA , UT ) and they wouldn't move from 48k ....half as much as what I am getting from some other higher ranked schools

bren1dan

Postby bren1dan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:13 am

Accepted w/ 170/3.19, will probably not be attending in favor of vanderbilt or georgetown. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Was admitted 2/27 after going complete 2/13 (quick turnaround) I believe I have good numbers for GW but I have not heard anything about a merit scholarship. Is it to early to inquire? How long is a typical wait?

ViennaGraben

Postby ViennaGraben » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Withdrew a while back but never posted. Good luck to all of you still waiting!

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:34 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:Was admitted 2/27 after going complete 2/13 (quick turnaround) I believe I have good numbers for GW but I have not heard anything about a merit scholarship. Is it to early to inquire? How long is a typical wait?

I've waited a month and heard nothing. I'm getting a bit angry.

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:Was admitted 2/27 after going complete 2/13 (quick turnaround) I believe I have good numbers for GW but I have not heard anything about a merit scholarship. Is it to early to inquire? How long is a typical wait?

Agreed. I think msblaw has the right idea. They seem quite stingy, even for accepted students with more $ at better schools. After hearing about other folks' experiences trying to negotiate, I highly doubt they'd offer enough to sway me from other schools/scholarships, if they offer anything at all. I think I'll withdraw if I don't hear anything by the end of the week. It's only fair to those on the WL and those still waiting to hear.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:42 pm

crumpledq wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

Agreed. I think msblaw has the right idea. They seem quite stingy, even for accepted students with more $ at better schools. After hearing about other folks' experiences trying to negotiate, I highly doubt they'd offer enough to sway me from other schools/scholarships, if they offer anything at all. I think I'll withdraw if I don't hear anything by the end of the week. It's only fair to those on the WL and those still waiting to hear.

I wish I had better offers to withdraw for, but as it is I feel like i'm going to be sitting on this one for a while

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:I wish I had better offers to withdraw for, but as it is I feel like i'm going to be sitting on this one for a while

I have very similar numbers to yours (higher LSAT, lower GPA). Hopefully if I withdraw they will realize the importance of wooing splitters and make you a nice offer :) Good luck!

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:05 pm

crumpledq wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:I wish I had better offers to withdraw for, but as it is I feel like i'm going to be sitting on this one for a while

I have very similar numbers to yours (higher LSAT, lower GPA). Hopefully if I withdraw they will realize the importance of wooing splitters and make you a nice offer :) Good luck!

Are you on LSN? Where have you gotten in?

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:18 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
crumpledq wrote:

Are you on LSN? Where have you gotten in?

Haven't made my profile public on LSN yet since my numbers are unusual enough that I might be identifiable. I'll make it public after the end of the cycle, though.

I've been accepted at GULC ($), GW, William & Mary ($), NYU and UVA. WL'd at Penn and Columbia, dinged at H & Y. PM me if you want to chat about specifics. I only applied to NE corridor schools.

clarion

Postby clarion » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:20 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know that I finally withdrew my app yesterday from GW in spite of their 20k a year scholarship since GULC actually gave me more than that. However, the reason I'm posting is because this morning (yes, this morning after withdrawing last night) I received an email from GW letting me know that because of my scholarship, I was put in the mentorship program which would've given me access to a mentor who specialized in whichever field of law I was most interested in.

Although this alone would not have been enough to sway me back to GW simply because of employment prospects between GULC and GW, I just wanted to sort of spread the word that this is something they offer, and for those of you who initially might not have gotten the scholarship offer you wanted, instead of just outright withdrawing like I did, maybe it might be worthwhile to try and negotiate (as I might have) while you wait to see if they do offer you a mentor. Just wanted to put that out there since in all the solicitations I'd gotten from them before today, this is the first I'D ever heard about mentorship opportunities.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”