GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:50 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
crumpledq wrote:Do folks think that if one did not receive this email, one is not being considered for merit scholarships?

Having been admitted to a few T14s, I just don't think I can consider GW without $$, and I didn't get the email.


What?! GW is cray cray


Hahaha thank you for the support, buddy!

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:40 pm

In case anyone else was wondering about whether getting skipped over for the email means getting skipped over for merit aid entirely, I just called the office to ask. They refused to answer over the phone and instead asked me to send an email. I think they wanted to know who I was before answering, which means that there might still be hope for some folks who didn't get the email. Or maybe they were just miffed that someone was even asking about it.

It was a very different reaction from when I called Georgetown with the same question a couple weeks ago. GULC folks were very friendly and helpful. Not helping your case here, G-dub!

User avatar
abstract
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:08 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby abstract » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 pm

crumpledq wrote:In case anyone else was wondering about whether getting skipped over for the email means getting skipped over for merit aid entirely, I just called the office to ask. They refused to answer over the phone and instead asked me to send an email. I think they wanted to know who I was before answering, which means that there might still be hope for some folks who didn't get the email. Or maybe they were just miffed that someone was even asking about it.

It was a very different reaction from when I called Georgetown with the same question a couple weeks ago. GULC folks were very friendly and helpful. Not helping your case here, G-dub!


I certainly would not want to malign a school, but I similarly have noticed a decided contrast in tone between GW and GULC. But then, of all of the schools to which I have been admitted (all in or near DC), GULC has been the friendliest.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:31 pm

abstract wrote:
crumpledq wrote:In case anyone else was wondering about whether getting skipped over for the email means getting skipped over for merit aid entirely, I just called the office to ask. They refused to answer over the phone and instead asked me to send an email. I think they wanted to know who I was before answering, which means that there might still be hope for some folks who didn't get the email. Or maybe they were just miffed that someone was even asking about it.

It was a very different reaction from when I called Georgetown with the same question a couple weeks ago. GULC folks were very friendly and helpful. Not helping your case here, G-dub!


I certainly would not want to malign a school, but I similarly have noticed a decided contrast in tone between GW and GULC. But then, of all of the schools to which I have been admitted (all in or near DC), GULC has been the friendliest.


I felt the opposite, actually. Just depends on who you talk to I guess.

User avatar
avd90
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby avd90 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Just sent them a quick email filling them in on some scholly info and acceptances. Hopefully that's sufficient!

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:17 pm

I sent in updated materials a couple days ago (resume, transcript, etc) and offers from other schools...I didn't get an e-mail back acknowledging anything..normal?

LilCanadianKid
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LilCanadianKid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Just got acceptance email, indicating that they wanted to electronically congratulate me on the admission letter I should have already recieved....which I havent. Im in Canada, so maybe snail mail/Fed ex is slow? Anyone else get the email before the actual letter?

And I take it that scholly info is in the letter, as nothing was said in the email...

Thanks!

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hoos89 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:09 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
junm
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby junm » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Hey guys, long time lurker. Haven't seen to much movement lately so I created a class page for those who are fairly sure they'll be attending http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=178501

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Anyone hear additional news on the merit scholarship front? I still haven't received a response to my request for information about merit aid, and the likelihood that I will attend GW is fading rapidly.

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Rawlberto » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:42 pm

crumpledq wrote:Anyone hear additional news on the merit scholarship front? I still haven't received a response to my request for information about merit aid, and the likelihood that I will attend GW is fading rapidly.


I thought scholly info comes out first week of March?

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Rawlberto wrote:
crumpledq wrote:Anyone hear additional news on the merit scholarship front? I still haven't received a response to my request for information about merit aid, and the likelihood that I will attend GW is fading rapidly.


I thought scholly info comes out first week of March?


Thanks, that's good to know! Sorry for not being aware of that.

I know that some folks get scholarship offers with their acceptance letters (one of my best friends did last year, at least) and that some have received emails asking about what level of scholarship would entice them to GW. I just wanted to bump the thread to see if there had been any other movement.

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Rawlberto » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:19 pm

crumpledq wrote:
Rawlberto wrote:
crumpledq wrote:Anyone hear additional news on the merit scholarship front? I still haven't received a response to my request for information about merit aid, and the likelihood that I will attend GW is fading rapidly.


I thought scholly info comes out first week of March?


Thanks, that's good to know! Sorry for not being aware of that.

I know that some folks get scholarship offers with their acceptance letters (one of my best friends did last year, at least) and that some have received emails asking about what level of scholarship would entice them to GW. I just wanted to bump the thread to see if there had been any other movement.



Well I thought I had read it on this thread, but I don't see where anyone posted that. It may have been in a mailing they sent? I know I didn't pull that timeframe out of my ass.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby T00L » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Yea, because when you get 120k from WUSTL and GW gives you 75k ...ain't gonna cut it


This. Is. SO. DAMN. TRUE.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:07 am

T00L wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Yea, because when you get 120k from WUSTL and GW gives you 75k ...ain't gonna cut it


This. Is. SO. DAMN. TRUE.


I think GW might have to rethink their merit scholarship max for sure

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hoos89 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:28 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom2189
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:04 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tom2189 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:53 am

I received a scholarship award via email on 2/14. I was surprised because I also got the email saying that awards would range from $15,000-$75,000, but the award I received was more than 75k. I was also surprised because there was no mention of stipulations in the email.

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crumpledq » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:01 am

Anyone else go to the DC admitted students event last night? I met some great people and especially enjoyed chatting with professors, but I didn't find anyone who made a truly compelling argument for GW over Georgetown. Also, I had two people who told me flat-out to go to NYU (even though they were GW alums), which I thought was very surprising. Dean Berman was a very impressive speaker, though. What did others think of the event?

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby T00L » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:16 pm

crumpledq wrote:Anyone else go to the DC admitted students event last night? I met some great people and especially enjoyed chatting with professors, but I didn't find anyone who made a truly compelling argument for GW over Georgetown. Also, I had two people who told me flat-out to go to NYU (even though they were GW alums), which I thought was very surprising. Dean Berman was a very impressive speaker, though. What did others think of the event?


Georgetown Waitlist

flashforward2
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby flashforward2 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:51 pm

I attended the Admitted Students reception last night as well. I think it's interesting that they are offering a monthly stipend to intern in a legal setting during the year after you graduate (if you are unable to find a job). I could not help but wonder about the amount of the stipend!

Overall, I left with a good impression, but it also seemed like the faculty and alumni were trying to sell the law school. I honestly was not expecting that feeling. The students seemed happy and the alumni were pleasant. I'll be attending Preview Day and I'm looking forward to learning more about GW.


crumpledq wrote:Anyone else go to the DC admitted students event last night? I met some great people and especially enjoyed chatting with professors, but I didn't find anyone who made a truly compelling argument for GW over Georgetown. Also, I had two people who told me flat-out to go to NYU (even though they were GW alums), which I thought was very surprising. Dean Berman was a very impressive speaker, though. What did others think of the event?

User avatar
jrthor10
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jrthor10 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:16 am

I am going to send in an e-mail regarding merit aid--any idea who I should address it to (Whom it May Concern? Admissions Committee? The Dean?)

ohcanada
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ohcanada » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:26 pm

So I'm mildly confused do you fill out the Law School Financial Aid Request Form to find out scholarship info or is that only if you know if you are for sure attending.

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Rawlberto » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:36 pm

jrthor10 wrote:I am going to send in an e-mail regarding merit aid--any idea who I should address it to (Whom it May Concern? Admissions Committee? The Dean?)


Finance Committee.

Let us know. I got accepted close to a month ago and have not heard anything. My chances of attending GW were slim to begin with, they may soon be at 0%

User avatar
junm
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby junm » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:06 pm

ohcanada wrote:So I'm mildly confused do you fill out the Law School Financial Aid Request Form to find out scholarship info or is that only if you know if you are for sure attending.


From my understanding you fill that form out for Need-based aid and/or student loan consideration. Merit based scholarships they will provide you unsolicited or you can call/email to express your interest.

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lrslayer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:30 pm

anyone else think its weird that i have been complete since nov 1 with no movement? 167/3.24, super legit softs. should i call or email maybe?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”