GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
franklyscarlet

Gold

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:14 pm

stingray wrote:Has anyone else NOT received the status checker email? I applied seven days ago, and still nothing.

Also, for those applying ED, on the section where you choose what type of application, the options were "Regular Decision" and "Special." I picked special assuming that it meant ED. Was I right?
I'm RD, and I got mine today (applied Monday.) check your spam.

brandon-sa

New

Post by brandon-sa » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:17 pm

stingray wrote: Also, for those applying ED, on the section where you choose what type of application, the options were "Regular Decision" and "Special." I picked special assuming that it meant ED. Was I right?
And there is an agreement form to be signed and mailed to them.

stingray

New

Post by stingray » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Where do I find the form? I saw on the GW law website where it said that I needed to sign it, but I couldn't find the actual forms or instructions for sending it in.

6thbackstreetboy

Bronze

Post by 6thbackstreetboy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:27 pm

stingray wrote:Where do I find the form? I saw on the GW law website where it said that I needed to sign it, but I couldn't find the actual forms or instructions for sending it in.
I found it under the forms menu when I was filling out the application.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:32 pm

checking in. status is received as of 10/25

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beezy08

Bronze

Post by beezy08 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:31 pm

stingray wrote:Has anyone else NOT received the status checker email? I applied seven days ago, and still nothing.

Also, for those applying ED, on the section where you choose what type of application, the options were "Regular Decision" and "Special." I picked special assuming that it meant ED. Was I right?
I was also confused but picked "special" assuming that meant ED. I don't know why they chose to use that word. But you also have to send in the agreement.

stingray

New

Post by stingray » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:06 pm

6thbackstreetboy wrote:
stingray wrote:Where do I find the form? I saw on the GW law website where it said that I needed to sign it, but I couldn't find the actual forms or instructions for sending it in.
I found it under the forms menu when I was filling out the application.
Found it, signed it, and just sent it out. So much for having a complete app before all of the October test takers flooded the system.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:22 am

I wanted to drop by this thread and wish you all the best of luck!

And, of course, if you guys have any questions you can mosey on over to our "Discuss Your Law School" thread or PM me (or any of the others, I'm sure).

HyeMart

Bronze

Post by HyeMart » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:32 am

ZeffKay wrote:Arizona State applicant checking in.

GW is my top choice right now hands down, but my lsat came back today a little under what I had hoped.

In reality, how much chance do I have with a 3.65/160 & 164 and does ED help or hurt my chances? Or anything else that can help??
DEF HURT, the ED there is full ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 pm

App submitted after solicited fee waiver!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:53 am

HyeMart wrote:
ZeffKay wrote:Arizona State applicant checking in.

GW is my top choice right now hands down, but my lsat came back today a little under what I had hoped.

In reality, how much chance do I have with a 3.65/160 & 164 and does ED help or hurt my chances? Or anything else that can help??
DEF HURT, the ED there is full ride.
I don't think it will hurt anyone's chances. GW states that anyone not admitted under ED will be rolled into RD. If anything I think it would show that GW is their top choice. I don't really see any negative implications.

HyeMart

Bronze

Post by HyeMart » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:23 pm

if you have a small chance at RD, dont bother with ED. it only shows your didn't do your research to see that their ED is more competitive. so i'd say it hurts, backwater

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:28 pm

HyeMart wrote:if you have a small chance at RD, dont bother with ED. it only shows your didn't do your research to see that their ED is more competitive. so i'd say it hurts, backwater
I think you are just overanalyzing it. Admissions Committees handle thousands of applications. Yes, it is easy to assume that if you are concerned about only your applications. My point is simply relax. It was unnecessary for you to come back to the person's question with "DEF HURT." This is at best baseless conjecture.

EDIT: While it is certainly not the way I would play my cards, it is speculation all the same that it could somehow be so negatively impactful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

srrrrh

Bronze

Post by srrrrh » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 am

submitted 11/3

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:48 am

mi-chan17 wrote:And, of course, if you guys have any questions you can mosey on over to our "Discuss Your Law School" thread or PM me (or any of the others, I'm sure).
Same - feel free to PM me if you have any GW questions that you would rather not post. I am a 2L, gov. agency internship now, will do corporate/transactional summer work.

stingray

New

Post by stingray » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:07 pm

How long did it take everyone to get a status checker? I submitted on 10/20, but didn't actually get my ED agrrement form sent out until 10/27 (didn't know that I needed to send it.) I'm assuming that is the hold up. For those applying ED, how long did it take to get the status checker after you mailed out the binding decision form?

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Quick question guys, is this like a "why" essay?? :o or more like a diversity statement??

Applicants may, but are not required to, submit an optional statement of 300 words or less discussing characteristics and accomplishments they believe will contribute positively to the GW Law School community and to the legal profession.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stingray

New

Post by stingray » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Schang1 wrote:Quick question guys, is this like a "why" essay?? :o or more like a diversity statement??

Applicants may, but are not required to, submit an optional statement of 300 words or less discussing characteristics and accomplishments they believe will contribute positively to the GW Law School community and to the legal profession.
Hmmm...I didn't submit that essay (probably should have). It seems like it would fall more on the side of a diversity statement, because diversity could "contribute positively to the GW Law School community." To me, it seems more suited for things like work experience, or extracurricular stuff, that didn't make it into the rest of the application.

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:51 pm

stingray wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Quick question guys, is this like a "why" essay?? :o or more like a diversity statement??

Hmmm...I didn't submit that essay (probably should have). It seems like it would fall more on the side of a diversity statement, because diversity could "contribute positively to the GW Law School community." To me, it seems more suited for things like work experience, or extracurricular stuff, that didn't make it into the rest of the application.
Hmm.. in that case, I don't think I'll submit one -- since my resume has all that kind of stuff... definitely don't want to reiterate stuff that's already on my resume. I think it's better to lean on the safe side of not submitting documents that they don't particularly ask for. What do you think? :?

HyeMart

Bronze

Post by HyeMart » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:57 pm

stillwater wrote:
HyeMart wrote:if you have a small chance at RD, dont bother with ED. it only shows your didn't do your research to see that their ED is more competitive. so i'd say it hurts, backwater
I think you are just overanalyzing it. Admissions Committees handle thousands of applications. Yes, it is easy to assume that if you are concerned about only your applications. My point is simply relax. It was unnecessary for you to come back to the person's question with "DEF HURT." This is at best baseless conjecture.

EDIT: While it is certainly not the way I would play my cards, it is speculation all the same that it could somehow be so negatively impactful.
I think your an idiot, but relax you probably don't know better.

if you apply ED and you don't get in (which is a certainty with those numbers), they only have the options of denying or waitlisting you.

if you applied RD, they can accept, deny, or waitlist you.

you apply ED with those numbers, you only chance in is waitlist-in. Appy Rd now and if you are going to be accepted, itd be sooner, and they're more money available.

stingray

New

Post by stingray » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:16 am

I hate to jump into such a tense argument, but I posed this exact question to a GW rep at a law fair a few weeks ago. According to her, applying ED in no way hurts your chances. The reason is, if you apply ED, and they reject you, your app is then immediately considered for RD. It isn't like UVA or other schools where you apply ED and once they say no, you are done for the cycle.
And from what I have read on the forums, after you are rejected ED, you usually get a decision on RD within the next few days. I don't see any downside to applying ED.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:31 am

HyeMart wrote:
stillwater wrote:

I think your an idiot, but relax you probably don't know better.

if you apply ED and you don't get in (which is a certainty with those numbers), they only have the options of denying or waitlisting you.

if you applied RD, they can accept, deny, or waitlist you.

you apply ED with those numbers, you only chance in is waitlist-in. Appy Rd now and if you are going to be accepted, itd be sooner, and they're more money available.
Lol, why so harsh on the Internet.......
"This argument is flawed because you attacked the poster and not the argument) :D

Anyways, I really don't think applying ED hurts because if you miss out you just became RD if my understanding is correct, but yea probably no real point (so won't have effect either way)

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:33 am

Just curious on how people think I'll do with a 167 / 3.44 (GW is probably my top choice so fingers crossed)....

edit: LSN appears to slightly favor me...

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:37 am

So...I think that ED can hurt because it shows a lack of judgment on your part if you choose to ED when you have a small chance at RD, but it has nothing to do with how the process itself works. Or ED can show a definite commitment to attend.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:55 am

fltanglab wrote:So...I think that ED can hurt because it shows a lack of judgment on your part if you choose to ED when you have a small chance at RD, but it has nothing to do with how the process itself works. Or ED can show a definite commitment to attend.
I'd imagine they just go through pile, move that one immediately from ED to RD / then they're judged regularly

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”