GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:14 pm

stingray wrote:Has anyone else NOT received the status checker email? I applied seven days ago, and still nothing.

Also, for those applying ED, on the section where you choose what type of application, the options were "Regular Decision" and "Special." I picked special assuming that it meant ED. Was I right?


I'm RD, and I got mine today (applied Monday.) check your spam.

brandon-sa
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby brandon-sa » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:17 pm

stingray wrote:Also, for those applying ED, on the section where you choose what type of application, the options were "Regular Decision" and "Special." I picked special assuming that it meant ED. Was I right?


And there is an agreement form to be signed and mailed to them.

User avatar
stingray
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby stingray » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Where do I find the form? I saw on the GW law website where it said that I needed to sign it, but I couldn't find the actual forms or instructions for sending it in.

User avatar
6thbackstreetboy
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 6thbackstreetboy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:27 pm

stingray wrote:Where do I find the form? I saw on the GW law website where it said that I needed to sign it, but I couldn't find the actual forms or instructions for sending it in.


I found it under the forms menu when I was filling out the application.

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lrslayer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:32 pm

checking in. status is received as of 10/25

User avatar
beezy08
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby beezy08 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:31 pm

stingray wrote:Has anyone else NOT received the status checker email? I applied seven days ago, and still nothing.

Also, for those applying ED, on the section where you choose what type of application, the options were "Regular Decision" and "Special." I picked special assuming that it meant ED. Was I right?


I was also confused but picked "special" assuming that meant ED. I don't know why they chose to use that word. But you also have to send in the agreement.

User avatar
stingray
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby stingray » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:06 pm

6thbackstreetboy wrote:
stingray wrote:Where do I find the form? I saw on the GW law website where it said that I needed to sign it, but I couldn't find the actual forms or instructions for sending it in.


I found it under the forms menu when I was filling out the application.


Found it, signed it, and just sent it out. So much for having a complete app before all of the October test takers flooded the system.

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mi-chan17 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:22 am

I wanted to drop by this thread and wish you all the best of luck!

And, of course, if you guys have any questions you can mosey on over to our "Discuss Your Law School" thread or PM me (or any of the others, I'm sure).

HyeMart
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby HyeMart » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:32 am

ZeffKay wrote:Arizona State applicant checking in.

GW is my top choice right now hands down, but my lsat came back today a little under what I had hoped.

In reality, how much chance do I have with a 3.65/160 & 164 and does ED help or hurt my chances? Or anything else that can help??


DEF HURT, the ED there is full ride.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 pm

App submitted after solicited fee waiver!

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby stillwater » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:53 am

HyeMart wrote:
ZeffKay wrote:Arizona State applicant checking in.

GW is my top choice right now hands down, but my lsat came back today a little under what I had hoped.

In reality, how much chance do I have with a 3.65/160 & 164 and does ED help or hurt my chances? Or anything else that can help??


DEF HURT, the ED there is full ride.


I don't think it will hurt anyone's chances. GW states that anyone not admitted under ED will be rolled into RD. If anything I think it would show that GW is their top choice. I don't really see any negative implications.

HyeMart
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby HyeMart » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:23 pm

if you have a small chance at RD, dont bother with ED. it only shows your didn't do your research to see that their ED is more competitive. so i'd say it hurts, backwater

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby stillwater » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:28 pm

HyeMart wrote:if you have a small chance at RD, dont bother with ED. it only shows your didn't do your research to see that their ED is more competitive. so i'd say it hurts, backwater


I think you are just overanalyzing it. Admissions Committees handle thousands of applications. Yes, it is easy to assume that if you are concerned about only your applications. My point is simply relax. It was unnecessary for you to come back to the person's question with "DEF HURT." This is at best baseless conjecture.

EDIT: While it is certainly not the way I would play my cards, it is speculation all the same that it could somehow be so negatively impactful.

User avatar
srrrrh
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby srrrrh » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 am

submitted 11/3

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby monkey85 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:48 am

mi-chan17 wrote:And, of course, if you guys have any questions you can mosey on over to our "Discuss Your Law School" thread or PM me (or any of the others, I'm sure).


Same - feel free to PM me if you have any GW questions that you would rather not post. I am a 2L, gov. agency internship now, will do corporate/transactional summer work.

User avatar
stingray
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby stingray » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:07 pm

How long did it take everyone to get a status checker? I submitted on 10/20, but didn't actually get my ED agrrement form sent out until 10/27 (didn't know that I needed to send it.) I'm assuming that is the hold up. For those applying ED, how long did it take to get the status checker after you mailed out the binding decision form?

Schang1
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Schang1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Quick question guys, is this like a "why" essay?? :o or more like a diversity statement??

Applicants may, but are not required to, submit an optional statement of 300 words or less discussing characteristics and accomplishments they believe will contribute positively to the GW Law School community and to the legal profession.

User avatar
stingray
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby stingray » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Schang1 wrote:Quick question guys, is this like a "why" essay?? :o or more like a diversity statement??

Applicants may, but are not required to, submit an optional statement of 300 words or less discussing characteristics and accomplishments they believe will contribute positively to the GW Law School community and to the legal profession.


Hmmm...I didn't submit that essay (probably should have). It seems like it would fall more on the side of a diversity statement, because diversity could "contribute positively to the GW Law School community." To me, it seems more suited for things like work experience, or extracurricular stuff, that didn't make it into the rest of the application.

Schang1
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Schang1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:51 pm

stingray wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Quick question guys, is this like a "why" essay?? :o or more like a diversity statement??

Applicants may, but are not required to, submit an optional statement of 300 words or less discussing characteristics and accomplishments they believe will contribute positively to the GW Law School community and to the legal profession.


Hmmm...I didn't submit that essay (probably should have). It seems like it would fall more on the side of a diversity statement, because diversity could "contribute positively to the GW Law School community." To me, it seems more suited for things like work experience, or extracurricular stuff, that didn't make it into the rest of the application.


Hmm.. in that case, I don't think I'll submit one -- since my resume has all that kind of stuff... definitely don't want to reiterate stuff that's already on my resume. I think it's better to lean on the safe side of not submitting documents that they don't particularly ask for. What do you think? :?

HyeMart
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby HyeMart » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:57 pm

stillwater wrote:
HyeMart wrote:if you have a small chance at RD, dont bother with ED. it only shows your didn't do your research to see that their ED is more competitive. so i'd say it hurts, backwater


I think you are just overanalyzing it. Admissions Committees handle thousands of applications. Yes, it is easy to assume that if you are concerned about only your applications. My point is simply relax. It was unnecessary for you to come back to the person's question with "DEF HURT." This is at best baseless conjecture.

EDIT: While it is certainly not the way I would play my cards, it is speculation all the same that it could somehow be so negatively impactful.


I think your an idiot, but relax you probably don't know better.

if you apply ED and you don't get in (which is a certainty with those numbers), they only have the options of denying or waitlisting you.

if you applied RD, they can accept, deny, or waitlist you.

you apply ED with those numbers, you only chance in is waitlist-in. Appy Rd now and if you are going to be accepted, itd be sooner, and they're more money available.

User avatar
stingray
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby stingray » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:16 am

I hate to jump into such a tense argument, but I posed this exact question to a GW rep at a law fair a few weeks ago. According to her, applying ED in no way hurts your chances. The reason is, if you apply ED, and they reject you, your app is then immediately considered for RD. It isn't like UVA or other schools where you apply ED and once they say no, you are done for the cycle.
And from what I have read on the forums, after you are rejected ED, you usually get a decision on RD within the next few days. I don't see any downside to applying ED.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:31 am

HyeMart wrote:
stillwater wrote:
HyeMart wrote:if you have a small chance at RD, dont bother with ED. it only shows your didn't do your research to see that their ED is more competitive. so i'd say it hurts, backwater


I think you are just overanalyzing it. Admissions Committees handle thousands of applications. Yes, it is easy to assume that if you are concerned about only your applications. My point is simply relax. It was unnecessary for you to come back to the person's question with "DEF HURT." This is at best baseless conjecture.

EDIT: While it is certainly not the way I would play my cards, it is speculation all the same that it could somehow be so negatively impactful.


I think your an idiot, but relax you probably don't know better.

if you apply ED and you don't get in (which is a certainty with those numbers), they only have the options of denying or waitlisting you.

if you applied RD, they can accept, deny, or waitlist you.

you apply ED with those numbers, you only chance in is waitlist-in. Appy Rd now and if you are going to be accepted, itd be sooner, and they're more money available.

Lol, why so harsh on the Internet.......
"This argument is flawed because you attacked the poster and not the argument) :D

Anyways, I really don't think applying ED hurts because if you miss out you just became RD if my understanding is correct, but yea probably no real point (so won't have effect either way)

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:33 am

Just curious on how people think I'll do with a 167 / 3.44 (GW is probably my top choice so fingers crossed)....

edit: LSN appears to slightly favor me...

User avatar
fltanglab
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby fltanglab » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:37 am

So...I think that ED can hurt because it shows a lack of judgment on your part if you choose to ED when you have a small chance at RD, but it has nothing to do with how the process itself works. Or ED can show a definite commitment to attend.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:55 am

fltanglab wrote:So...I think that ED can hurt because it shows a lack of judgment on your part if you choose to ED when you have a small chance at RD, but it has nothing to do with how the process itself works. Or ED can show a definite commitment to attend.

I'd imagine they just go through pile, move that one immediately from ED to RD / then they're judged regularly




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”