GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
cch24
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cch24 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:47 am

Admitted via mail today! There was a nice note at the bottom which I really appreciated. I went complete on 10/31, sent 1 letter of recommendation and my stats are 3.13/166/URM.

User avatar
stingray
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby stingray » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Congrats everyone! I'm still assuming that all acceptances have come from RD.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby T00L » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:18 pm

Has anyone found a good way to get to the status checker? The link in my email wont work (even when I paste it in).

I can get it sometimes when I delete a few letters in the URL, but this is always a hassle...

User avatar
crabcakes
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:21 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crabcakes » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:23 pm

T00L wrote:Has anyone found a good way to get to the status checker? The link in my email wont work (even when I paste it in).

I can get it sometimes when I delete a few letters in the URL, but this is always a hassle...


i always had to paste it in. i wouldn't be too worried though; it doesn't seem like gwu updates their status checker. i was admitted recently and mine only updated once for when my app was complete.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:44 pm

stingray wrote:Congrats everyone! I'm still assuming that all acceptances have come from RD.

Yep, I was RD

kitkat450
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 5:00 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kitkat450 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:52 pm

anyone have the link to the status checker? mine doesn't work in the email they sent and I cant seem to find it on the website

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:58 pm

kitkat450 wrote:anyone have the link to the status checker? mine doesn't work in the email they sent and I cant seem to find it on the website

copy / pasting link from e-mail seems to work for most (if you haven't already tried that )

kitkat450
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 5:00 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kitkat450 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:06 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
kitkat450 wrote:anyone have the link to the status checker? mine doesn't work in the email they sent and I cant seem to find it on the website

copy / pasting link from e-mail seems to work for most (if you haven't already tried that )


I have tried that... Maybe I should email admissions? Do they update the status checker where it's worth checking?

User avatar
stingray
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby stingray » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Go back to page 4 of this thread and try that link. It works.

User avatar
butchcassidy
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby butchcassidy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:51 pm

kitkat450 wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
kitkat450 wrote:anyone have the link to the status checker? mine doesn't work in the email they sent and I cant seem to find it on the website

copy / pasting link from e-mail seems to work for most (if you haven't already tried that )


I have tried that... Maybe I should email admissions? Do they update the status checker where it's worth checking?


try a different web browser (don't know if this has been suggested already)

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Has anyone suggested withdrawing the application entirely?

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby neeko » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:54 pm

tennisking88 wrote:Has anyone suggested withdrawing the application entirely?


what

JPudding
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JPudding » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Congrats to all who have been accepted!

I'm still at "Application Received" as of 11/11. Anyone else in a similar situation?

benito
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby benito » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:21 pm

JPudding wrote:Congrats to all who have been accepted!

I'm still at "Application Received" as of 11/11. Anyone else in a similar situation?


yup exactly the same situation, application received since 11/11.....I don't know what to infer from it, maybe we just missed the first round of apps they reviewed

curiousgeorgia
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiousgeorgia » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:01 pm

benito wrote:
JPudding wrote:Congrats to all who have been accepted!

I'm still at "Application Received" as of 11/11. Anyone else in a similar situation?


yup exactly the same situation, application received since 11/11.....I don't know what to infer from it, maybe we just missed the first round of apps they reviewed


Mine has said "application received" for almost a month, so I e-mailed them to make sure that there was nothing they were missing from me that was preventing me from going complete. They sent a nice reply back ensuring me that they are just slowly going through applications, so don't worry if it takes a while to process before going complete. In short, nothing to infer, just the pains of the application process.

Hope this gives you all some peace of mind!

northside
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby northside » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:33 pm

mandolin wrote:Is anyone applying ED? If so, what seems to be the magic numbers that will get you in through binding ED?


What does this whole "regular" and "special" thing mean?

User avatar
so_fetch
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby so_fetch » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:55 pm

JPudding wrote:Congrats to all who have been accepted!

I'm still at "Application Received" as of 11/11. Anyone else in a similar situation?

yes but im like a week before 11/11. I feel like some late october submitters have already heard back so maybe they are just working through those before tackling the November apps. A "complete" email would be nice though.

User avatar
stingray
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby stingray » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:15 pm

northside wrote:
mandolin wrote:Is anyone applying ED? If so, what seems to be the magic numbers that will get you in through binding ED?


What does this whole "regular" and "special" thing mean?


"Special" is the same as Binding Early Decision or ED. If you apply under Early Decision at GW, and are accepted, you automatically get a full scholarship, but once accepted you are required to withdraw all other law school apps and committ to attend GW. It's a pretty good deal if GW is your first choice.
A lot of schools have this option, but GW throws a twist in their implementation of it. They can reject you as an ED applicant, but then consider you for RD (Regular Decision). If they accept you under RD you don't automatically get the full scholarship (although you may get some money), and you are not bound to attending GW.
I am an ED applicant. From what I've gathered, you have to have excellent numbers to be accepted ED, and my numbers are borderline for that at best. I will likely be rejected ED, and then considered for RD. The downside to this is that it may be January before they make a decision on ED applicants, so we could be waiting a while.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:21 pm

stingray wrote:A lot of schools have this option, but GW throws a twist in their implementation of it. They can reject you as an ED applicant, but then consider you for RD (Regular Decision). If they accept you under RD you don't automatically get the full scholarship (although you may get some money), and you are not bound to attending GW.

This is how all ED programs work, even the ones that don't offer a scholarship with their ED.

User avatar
stingray
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby stingray » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Samara wrote:
stingray wrote:A lot of schools have this option, but GW throws a twist in their implementation of it. They can reject you as an ED applicant, but then consider you for RD (Regular Decision). If they accept you under RD you don't automatically get the full scholarship (although you may get some money), and you are not bound to attending GW.

This is how all ED programs work, even the ones that don't offer a scholarship with their ED.

I was under the impression that this was unique, but I have been wrong...a lot. Places like UVA do this? Why would they accept you RD, when you have already committed to ED and risk the chance of you not matriculating? Unless it has something to do with being waitlisted from ED, and accepted later.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:14 pm

stingray wrote:
Samara wrote:
stingray wrote:A lot of schools have this option, but GW throws a twist in their implementation of it. They can reject you as an ED applicant, but then consider you for RD (Regular Decision). If they accept you under RD you don't automatically get the full scholarship (although you may get some money), and you are not bound to attending GW.

This is how all ED programs work, even the ones that don't offer a scholarship with their ED.

I was under the impression that this was unique, but I have been wrong...a lot. Places like UVA do this? Why would they accept you RD, when you have already committed to ED and risk the chance of you not matriculating? Unless it has something to do with being waitlisted from ED, and accepted later.

1) Your use of terminology was technically incorrect. When applying ED, you can get accepted, rejected, waitlisted or held. If you get rejected outright, you are done at that school this cycle. If you get held, you are (at a school like GW) rejected for the full scholarship, but not rejected for admissions.

2) So why would other schools hold you for regular decision, then accept you later? It depends on how the class profile is built. Especially at schools, like UVa, that provide a rolling deadline for ED, they may hold you to see how the numbers are lining up. If you are a borderline candidate or a splitter, they may hold you at first and then later, when more ED applicants are in or more regular decision applicants have committed and they aren't hitting the higher medians, accept you through regular decision. Yes, there is the risk of you not accepting, but if you're borderline or a splitter, they aren't crying about the ones not accepting. If they didn't hold people, they would just have to manage a huge waitlist and use it in a different way than they do later.

BigJohnso
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BigJohnso » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Hey, so i submitted on Tuesday and it is still on "transmitted" in my LSAC account. All of my other applications were removed from "my active applications." It says that my report was "not requested by the school." Is anyone else having this issue?

benito
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby benito » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Not for GW but I did for one of my other apps....It resolved itself within a couple days but would be a legitimate reason to call LSAC if you'd like some peace of mind

Eco
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Eco » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Pick Fordham if you guys have to choose between that school or this one.

zurcaled11
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zurcaled11 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Eco wrote:Pick Fordham if you guys have to choose between that school or this one.


huh?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”