GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BmoreOrLess

Gold

Re: GW c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by BmoreOrLess » Wed May 09, 2012 2:54 pm

Splitteroni wrote:So unprovoked, admissions sent me an increased scholly offer from 20,000 to 30,000 per year. Does this mean if I ask, I might be able to get more...just don't want to miss an opportunity of more $$$ but not sure what to say. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Schools are desperate. Definitely ask. Worst case scenario is they say no. If it was unprovoked, they likely want you, so you are in the drivers seat.

chunnyboy

New

Post by chunnyboy » Fri May 11, 2012 5:41 pm

just got an email from ms. sim that i'm in off the waitlist

still considering washu (some $) and ND as well

also still waitlisted and being "considered" at UVA but that's probably too much to ask for right?

if i'm going to end up paying near sticker at GW - is it still worth choosing over washu and its $?

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Fri May 11, 2012 5:50 pm

chunnyboy wrote:just got an email from ms. sim that i'm in off the waitlist

also still waitlisted and being "considered" at UVA but that's probably too much to ask for right?

if i'm going to end up paying near sticker at GW - is it still worth choosing over washu and its $?
The key factor you need to look at is what kind of law you want to go into. If IP, then at least consider GW and the HUGE amount of debt. If you're not an IP guy, I don't know that I could make a real case for the extra cost.

dclaw2015

New

Post by dclaw2015 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:31 am

chunnyboy wrote:just got an email from ms. sim that i'm in off the waitlist

Accepted in PT or FT program?

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 am

Has anyone who has been recently accepted or taken off the waitlist been able to log in to the ASP? Also, has anyone recently off the waitlist been offered any aid?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wily

Bronze

Post by Wily » Tue May 15, 2012 10:01 am

blurose wrote:Has anyone who has been recently accepted or taken off the waitlist been able to log in to the ASP? Also, has anyone recently off the waitlist been offered any aid?
Both. Just follow the instructions and make a new account to get to the admitted students page. I also got $25k in scholarship/year.

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Tue May 15, 2012 2:50 pm

Wily wrote:
blurose wrote:Has anyone who has been recently accepted or taken off the waitlist been able to log in to the ASP? Also, has anyone recently off the waitlist been offered any aid?
Both. Just follow the instructions and make a new account to get to the admitted students page. I also got $25k in scholarship/year.
I received the email on Friday and I still can't log in... I get an error message stating the account does not exist. I just got off the phone with admissions, they're looking into it.

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Tue May 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Ok, log in problems have been rectified. Now I can't seem to find the page that states my aid information. There's just some generic info about how to apply for aid and the names of the counselors. Am I correct in guessing you received an email about your scholarship?

mrjohnsterman

Bronze

Post by mrjohnsterman » Tue May 15, 2012 4:10 pm

Info for those who are considering GW and those on the WL.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

George Washington University Law School is the latest to intentionally reduce enrollment in the face of declining law school applications.

Law Dean Paul Schiff Berman said the school does not plan to cut any specific percentage of J.D. candidates from the incoming class this fall, but hopes to move enrollment below 450 and continue to reduce the number of new students in subsequent years. In fall 2011, the school enrolled 474 J.D. students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chunnyboy

New

Post by chunnyboy » Fri May 18, 2012 12:51 pm

mrjohnsterman wrote:Info for those who are considering GW and those on the WL.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

George Washington University Law School is the latest to intentionally reduce enrollment in the face of declining law school applications.

Law Dean Paul Schiff Berman said the school does not plan to cut any specific percentage of J.D. candidates from the incoming class this fall, but hopes to move enrollment below 450 and continue to reduce the number of new students in subsequent years. In fall 2011, the school enrolled 474 J.D. students.
isn't this actually a good thing for those leaning towards going?

also dclaw2015 - it's the FT program not the PT (i was admitted at Gtown's PT but not their FT)

atj86

New

Post by atj86 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:49 pm

Just out of curiosity, those of you who have been offered scholarship in the past month or two, who have you been in contact with? I sent multiple e-mails and left multiple voicemails with both my assigned financial aid office and the office of financial aid itself and I never received a reply. Not even a rejection, no reply whatsoever.

As there's no way I'm going to make a $200,000+ deal with a university who can't be bothered to return my phone calls, I'm accepting an offer from Virginia instead. One of the waitlisted people can have my seat. I hope you have a better experience with GWU than I have.

chunnyboy

New

Post by chunnyboy » Fri May 25, 2012 1:16 pm

atj86 wrote:Just out of curiosity, those of you who have been offered scholarship in the past month or two, who have you been in contact with? I sent multiple e-mails and left multiple voicemails with both my assigned financial aid office and the office of financial aid itself and I never received a reply. Not even a rejection, no reply whatsoever.

As there's no way I'm going to make a $200,000+ deal with a university who can't be bothered to return my phone calls, I'm accepting an offer from Virginia instead. One of the waitlisted people can have my seat. I hope you have a better experience with GWU than I have.
sophia sim has answered all my calls lately and she's been pretty good about emailing back also matt dillard returned my calls regarding aston (which i chose not to for now) and other stuff - i'm surprised to hear that you didn't have a good experience with the adcomm there - also yea i got my merit scholarship just a few weeks ago and have dealt directly with ms. sim about it (couldn't get it upped higher though she said theoretically more funds could open up once june past or something)

atj86

New

Post by atj86 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:32 pm

chunnyboy wrote:
atj86 wrote:Just out of curiosity, those of you who have been offered scholarship in the past month or two, who have you been in contact with? I sent multiple e-mails and left multiple voicemails with both my assigned financial aid office and the office of financial aid itself and I never received a reply. Not even a rejection, no reply whatsoever.

sophia sim has answered all my calls lately and she's been pretty good about emailing back also matt dillard returned my calls regarding aston (which i chose not to for now) and other stuff - i'm surprised to hear that you didn't have a good experience with the adcomm there - also yea i got my merit scholarship just a few weeks ago and have dealt directly with ms. sim about it (couldn't get it upped higher though she said theoretically more funds could open up once june past or something)
I was not initially offered any money, but I submitted the financial aid request form and was offered minimal need-based. It was after that that I tried to get in touch with the office. The first couple of times I didn't receive a response, I just assumed they were busy, but after being ignored for a 5th time and seeing unsolicited scholarship increases being offered to waitlist candidates, I decided I would rather wait a year than risk it at GW. Fortunately, things worked out with UVA. I'm glad to hear they were more attentive and generous to the rest of you, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chunnyboy

New

Post by chunnyboy » Fri May 25, 2012 6:30 pm

atj86 wrote:
chunnyboy wrote:

I was not initially offered any money, but I submitted the financial aid request form and was offered minimal need-based. It was after that that I tried to get in touch with the office. The first couple of times I didn't receive a response, I just assumed they were busy, but after being ignored for a 5th time and seeing unsolicited scholarship increases being offered to waitlist candidates, I decided I would rather wait a year than risk it at GW. Fortunately, things worked out with UVA. I'm glad to hear they were more attentive and generous to the rest of you, though.
haha pretty sure with your lsat score, GW assumed you wouldn't be headed their way anyway

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Fri May 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Everyone at GW has been pretty responsive and helpful. They did misplace my emailed LOCI, but I cleared that up with them promptly. The financial aid people and the admissions people have all been very friendly towards me.

atj86

New

Post by atj86 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:16 pm

chunnyboy wrote:
haha pretty sure with your lsat score, GW assumed you wouldn't be headed their way anyway
Well, I'm interested in IP, so they were initially my first choice.

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Fri May 25, 2012 7:47 pm

chunnyboy wrote:sophia sim has answered all my calls lately and she's been pretty good about emailing back also matt dillard returned my calls regarding aston (which i chose not to for now) and other stuff - i'm surprised to hear that you didn't have a good experience with the adcomm there - also yea i got my merit scholarship just a few weeks ago and have dealt directly with ms. sim about it (couldn't get it upped higher though she said theoretically more funds could open up once june past or something)
Would you mind sharing your stats? I want to ask for scholarship consideration but o I'm not sure who they're aiming for when they award them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chunnyboy

New

Post by chunnyboy » Tue May 29, 2012 4:24 pm

anyone interested in finding an apartment together?

i don't mind (actually prefer) arlington or rosslyn instead of foggy bottom - i heard from those who live there that living there is much preferred and conducive to relaxation outside of school

PM me if interested

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Tue May 29, 2012 8:03 pm

This may seem like a ridiculous question but I'm going to ask anyway. GW's combined seat deposit of $1,500 seems so expensive compared to other schools, and since they don't accept credit cards it's turning out to be kind of burdensome for me. Has anyone had any experience with asking for a reduction from them? I'm fairly certain Iqualify for financial aid and have already applied for it.

ETA: I just found this:

"Except under binding early decision plans, or for academic terms beginning in the spring or summer, no law school should require an enrollment commitment of any kind, to an offer of admission or scholarship prior to April 1. Admitted applicants who have submitted a timely financial aid application should not be required to commit to enroll by having to make a nonrefundable financial commitment until notified of financial aid awards that are within the control of the law school."

I did submit the school-specific financial aid forms shortly after I found out I'd been admitted. They haven't processed it yet. Do I have grounds to ask for a seat deposit extension? I submitted such a request via email last week and have not yet received a response. I guess a lot rides on one's definition of the word "timely." Welcome to law school, huh?

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Tue May 29, 2012 10:00 pm

blurose wrote:
chunnyboy wrote:sophia sim has answered all my calls lately and she's been pretty good about emailing back also matt dillard returned my calls regarding aston (which i chose not to for now) and other stuff - i'm surprised to hear that you didn't have a good experience with the adcomm there - also yea i got my merit scholarship just a few weeks ago and have dealt directly with ms. sim about it (couldn't get it upped higher though she said theoretically more funds could open up once june past or something)
Would you mind sharing your stats? I want to ask for scholarship consideration but o I'm not sure who they're aiming for when they award them.
They gave me $60k ($20k a year) off the waitlist and I'm 168/2.95. I was initially offered nothing and got that through negotiation. I tried pushing for more, but got told they don't have anymore funds available, and won't know what else they will have until after June 1st. But you should still try, they were at least receptive to negotiation with me.

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Tue May 29, 2012 10:49 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
blurose wrote:
They gave me $60k ($20k a year) off the waitlist and I'm 168/2.95. I was initially offered nothing and got that through negotiation. I tried pushing for more, but got told they don't have anymore funds available, and won't know what else they will have until after June 1st. But you should still try, they were at least receptive to negotiation with me.
Thanks for sharing. My stats are very close to yours, so that gives me hope!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:59 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:They gave me $60k ($20k a year) off the waitlist and I'm 168/2.95.
GW 3L here - I so wish I was enrolling with you guys. I got zilch my year! They are throwing around the loot with you all.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:46 pm

monkey85 wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:They gave me $60k ($20k a year) off the waitlist and I'm 168/2.95.
GW 3L here - I so wish I was enrolling with you guys. I got zilch my year! They are throwing around the loot with you all.
+1. Plus with reduced class size - probably have a bit more money to throw around.

parebare23

Bronze

Post by parebare23 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:10 am

I have already submitted my 1st and 2nd deposit - any chance you all think I could go back and ask for more at this point? And if so, in a tactful way?

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Wed May 30, 2012 9:21 am

parebare23 wrote:I have already submitted my 1st and 2nd deposit - any chance you all think I could go back and ask for more at this point? And if so, in a tactful way?
You should definitely try, but at this point it's probably going to be tough to get money from them. The reason they are throwing money at waitlisted kids is because they are desperate to fill their class and also likely desperate to round out their LSAT/GPA medians. Have you gotten off any waitlists in the T14/Vandy/UT that you can negotiate with? That's likely going to be the only way you can get some $$ now that you've deposited. Other than that it's possible if you threaten to walk and wait a year they might hook you up, but I'm not sure what they need to be able to count your numbers for the rankings. If they can already count you as enrolled from your deposit, your likely SOL.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”