American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
minkopolis
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby minkopolis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:10 pm

PizzaShrapnel wrote:
puremorning wrote:
PizzaShrapnel wrote:Wow, just got denied wtf... Don't know what happened there.


Via email? Sorry to hear that :-(


Yea, "in an effort to reduce our environmental impact," haha such an unneeded statment in a rejection. Thanks, though. Good thing I've pretty much made up my mind about going to Boulder because this would have seriously ruined my day. Good luck everyone else!


I haven't heard back yet, but I am not optimistic at this point...was also recently admitted to Boulder, though, and LOVE that school :)

z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby z0rk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:39 am

LKI716 wrote:I'm in as of Jan 30, is anyone considering attending one of the accepted students days??


I am going to attend the 3/27 evening option, as I was admitted as an evening student.

spencer1120
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby spencer1120 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:30 pm

minkopolis wrote:
PizzaShrapnel wrote:
puremorning wrote:
PizzaShrapnel wrote:Wow, just got denied wtf... Don't know what happened there.


Via email? Sorry to hear that :-(


Yea, "in an effort to reduce our environmental impact," haha such an unneeded statment in a rejection. Thanks, though. Good thing I've pretty much made up my mind about going to Boulder because this would have seriously ruined my day. Good luck everyone else!


I haven't heard back yet, but I am not optimistic at this point...was also recently admitted to Boulder, though, and LOVE that school :)



Don't worry. I am a current 2L, switched from evening to day. This school pretty much sucks and is a waste of tuition. I wish I either didn't go to law school or went to a top 1-14 law school instead. I'm already 155K in debt, with no real job prospects. I expect another 70K of debt to hit me in the next year. Do your research people, law school isn't what it was. School's will do as much as they can to trick you into all the great things it has to offer. American is in a city with Georgetown (200 grads/yr) and George Washington (450 grads a year). You have over 650 grads a year coming out of these top two schools each year in DC. MEANING NO JOBS LEFT FOR YOU. And this doesn't even include the ~150 grads that come out of GMU, ~500 AU, ~200 CLS. I have tried doing everything from legal jobs to nonlegal jobs.

Figure out what you want. Maybe not getting accepted to AU is a blessing in disguise. Of course, if you feel like you have nothing left to do but go to law school then it might hurt. Like most students in my class who only thought they'd go to law school post-grad. They all soon realize they should've been more careful and instead have made smart decisions about other future careers. Law school just doesn't cut it anymore. Go to a school where you know you'll benefit from the risk. And today, thats only the T- 1-14 IF THAT! Otherwise you'll likely graduate jobless like me. Or embarrassed you spent 250K on a worthless degree when you could've spent it on worthy education and your future family.

You can't always believe that one day a JD will become relevant again. Just like it is fruitless to believe you'll get a decent job with a Bachelors (in most cases except computers/engineering/finance). It is now fruitless to believe you'd get a job with a JD. All my friends in the AU graduating class either are unemployed, working for free, or making less than 40-50K/year. Do the math.

swish41
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby swish41 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 pm

^ that was depressing

parebare23
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 am

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby parebare23 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:00 pm

wow.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vpintz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:16 pm

They mad.

User avatar
puremorning
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby puremorning » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 pm

vpintz wrote:They mad.


+1

I love disgruntled law students. Which is why I have a backup plan :-)

shroeder
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby shroeder » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:32 pm

puremorning wrote:
vpintz wrote:They mad.


+1

I love disgruntled law students. Which is why I have a backup plan :-)



What is it? And what area of law are you looking at? I'm IP with a chem background. I'm not too worried bout finding work post JD. Thought??

spencer1120
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby spencer1120 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:32 pm

puremorning wrote:
vpintz wrote:They mad.


+1

I love disgruntled law students. Which is why I have a backup plan :-)


That's a good idea to have one. Law schools should require that students all have prior full-time working experience or something

spencer1120
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby spencer1120 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:34 pm

shroeder wrote:
puremorning wrote:
vpintz wrote:They mad.


+1

I love disgruntled law students. Which is why I have a backup plan :-)



What is it? And what area of law are you looking at? I'm IP with a chem background. I'm not too worried bout finding work post JD. Thought??



Which year are you? Lots of IP graduates lately with idea that jobs lie there. Thats slowly weening out too. Unless you're T-1-14. I'm debating on transferring and forgoing some credits. I have solid grades (top 20%).

User avatar
puremorning
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby puremorning » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:41 pm

shroeder wrote:
puremorning wrote:
vpintz wrote:They mad.


+1

I love disgruntled law students. Which is why I have a backup plan :-)



What is it? And what area of law are you looking at? I'm IP with a chem background. I'm not too worried bout finding work post JD. Thought??


I will have a master's in social work as of this May, and am going to get licensed, so I also have work experience b/c of my program. I was freaking out about the prospect of jobs after law school until my bf said to me, even if you don't land a legal position, you can still get a job in social work. Put me so much more at ease. And either way I'd be eligible for LRAPs, so I think I'll be ok. I'm looking into either criminal law (to be a prosecutor) or public interest.

You should be ok too. I have a friend who was considering the same, but is just going the chem route instead. From what I hear it's a booming field.

eads
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby eads » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:25 pm

puremorning wrote:
shroeder wrote:
puremorning wrote:
vpintz wrote:They mad.


+1

I love disgruntled law students. Which is why I have a backup plan :-)



What is it? And what area of law are you looking at? I'm IP with a chem background. I'm not too worried bout finding work post JD. Thought??


I will have a master's in social work as of this May, and am going to get licensed, so I also have work experience b/c of my program. I was freaking out about the prospect of jobs after law school until my bf said to me, even if you don't land a legal position, you can still get a job in social work. Put me so much more at ease. And either way I'd be eligible for LRAPs, so I think I'll be ok. I'm looking into either criminal law (to be a prosecutor) or public interest.

You should be ok too. I have a friend who was considering the same, but is just going the chem route instead. From what I hear it's a booming field.


And we should not forget the massive mess and opportunity created by AIA, when the "first to file" system will be taken place in the US Patent Law in March, 2013, which revolutionizes the law first time since 1952. IP could be actually quite decent area.

pret
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby pret » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:27 pm

puremorning wrote:
vpintz wrote:They mad.

I love disgruntled law students. Which is why I have a backup plan :-)

+1.

I think law schools should give preference to those guaranteed employment after graduation. I guess I'm biased since I'm someone who'd benefit from such a practice, but more successful law graduates = a less indebted and more productive society, and it would mean more endowment for the school.

z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby z0rk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:28 pm

spencer1120 wrote:
Don't worry. I am a current 2L, switched from evening to day. This school pretty much sucks and is a waste of tuition. I wish I either didn't go to law school or went to a top 1-14 law school instead. I'm already 155K in debt, with no real job prospects. I expect another 70K of debt to hit me in the next year. Do your research people, law school isn't what it was. School's will do as much as they can to trick you into all the great things it has to offer. American is in a city with Georgetown (200 grads/yr) and George Washington (450 grads a year). You have over 650 grads a year coming out of these top two schools each year in DC. MEANING NO JOBS LEFT FOR YOU. And this doesn't even include the ~150 grads that come out of GMU, ~500 AU, ~200 CLS. I have tried doing everything from legal jobs to nonlegal jobs.

Figure out what you want. Maybe not getting accepted to AU is a blessing in disguise. Of course, if you feel like you have nothing left to do but go to law school then it might hurt. Like most students in my class who only thought they'd go to law school post-grad. They all soon realize they should've been more careful and instead have made smart decisions about other future careers. Law school just doesn't cut it anymore. Go to a school where you know you'll benefit from the risk. And today, thats only the T- 1-14 IF THAT! Otherwise you'll likely graduate jobless like me. Or embarrassed you spent 250K on a worthless degree when you could've spent it on worthy education and your future family.

You can't always believe that one day a JD will become relevant again. Just like it is fruitless to believe you'll get a decent job with a Bachelors (in most cases except computers/engineering/finance). It is now fruitless to believe you'd get a job with a JD. All my friends in the AU graduating class either are unemployed, working for free, or making less than 40-50K/year. Do the math.


No offense, but you are spitting a lot of personal BS our way. How are you 150K in debt in your second year of school? The cost of the evening division program is 30K, plus COL which is about 22K (Although if you treated PT for what it is you would be working, thus eliminating a COL loan and hopefully putting a small savings away for your eventual loan payoff). Are you including undergraduate debt in that figure? Or any other debt? If so, that's not fair and that is more of a personal issue than a criticism on AU.

User avatar
puremorning
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby puremorning » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:37 pm

z0rk wrote:
spencer1120 wrote:
Don't worry. I am a current 2L, switched from evening to day. This school pretty much sucks and is a waste of tuition. I wish I either didn't go to law school or went to a top 1-14 law school instead. I'm already 155K in debt, with no real job prospects. I expect another 70K of debt to hit me in the next year. Do your research people, law school isn't what it was. School's will do as much as they can to trick you into all the great things it has to offer. American is in a city with Georgetown (200 grads/yr) and George Washington (450 grads a year). You have over 650 grads a year coming out of these top two schools each year in DC. MEANING NO JOBS LEFT FOR YOU. And this doesn't even include the ~150 grads that come out of GMU, ~500 AU, ~200 CLS. I have tried doing everything from legal jobs to nonlegal jobs.

Figure out what you want. Maybe not getting accepted to AU is a blessing in disguise. Of course, if you feel like you have nothing left to do but go to law school then it might hurt. Like most students in my class who only thought they'd go to law school post-grad. They all soon realize they should've been more careful and instead have made smart decisions about other future careers. Law school just doesn't cut it anymore. Go to a school where you know you'll benefit from the risk. And today, thats only the T- 1-14 IF THAT! Otherwise you'll likely graduate jobless like me. Or embarrassed you spent 250K on a worthless degree when you could've spent it on worthy education and your future family.

You can't always believe that one day a JD will become relevant again. Just like it is fruitless to believe you'll get a decent job with a Bachelors (in most cases except computers/engineering/finance). It is now fruitless to believe you'd get a job with a JD. All my friends in the AU graduating class either are unemployed, working for free, or making less than 40-50K/year. Do the math.


No offense, but you are spitting a lot of personal BS our way. How are you 150K in debt in your second year of school? The cost of the evening division program is 30K, plus COL which is about 22K (Although if you treated PT for what it is you would be working, thus eliminating a COL loan and hopefully putting a small savings away for your eventual loan payoff). Are you including undergraduate debt in that figure? Or any other debt? If so, that's not fair and that is more of a personal issue than a criticism on AU.


Yeah, I think someone's just a little upset they paid sticker...

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tennisking88 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Paying even close to sticker price for American borders on flagrant retardation

spencer1120
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby spencer1120 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:40 pm

puremorning wrote:
z0rk wrote:
spencer1120 wrote:
Don't worry. I am a current 2L, switched from evening to day. This school pretty much sucks and is a waste of tuition. I wish I either didn't go to law school or went to a top 1-14 law school instead. I'm already 155K in debt, with no real job prospects. I expect another 70K of debt to hit me in the next year. Do your research people, law school isn't what it was. School's will do as much as they can to trick you into all the great things it has to offer. American is in a city with Georgetown (200 grads/yr) and George Washington (450 grads a year). You have over 650 grads a year coming out of these top two schools each year in DC. MEANING NO JOBS LEFT FOR YOU. And this doesn't even include the ~150 grads that come out of GMU, ~500 AU, ~200 CLS. I have tried doing everything from legal jobs to nonlegal jobs.

Figure out what you want. Maybe not getting accepted to AU is a blessing in disguise. Of course, if you feel like you have nothing left to do but go to law school then it might hurt. Like most students in my class who only thought they'd go to law school post-grad. They all soon realize they should've been more careful and instead have made smart decisions about other future careers. Law school just doesn't cut it anymore. Go to a school where you know you'll benefit from the risk. And today, thats only the T- 1-14 IF THAT! Otherwise you'll likely graduate jobless like me. Or embarrassed you spent 250K on a worthless degree when you could've spent it on worthy education and your future family.

You can't always believe that one day a JD will become relevant again. Just like it is fruitless to believe you'll get a decent job with a Bachelors (in most cases except computers/engineering/finance). It is now fruitless to believe you'd get a job with a JD. All my friends in the AU graduating class either are unemployed, working for free, or making less than 40-50K/year. Do the math.


No offense, but you are spitting a lot of personal BS our way. How are you 150K in debt in your second year of school? The cost of the evening division program is 30K, plus COL which is about 22K (Although if you treated PT for what it is you would be working, thus eliminating a COL loan and hopefully putting a small savings away for your eventual loan payoff). Are you including undergraduate debt in that figure? Or any other debt? If so, that's not fair and that is more of a personal issue than a criticism on AU.


Yeah, I think someone's just a little upset they paid sticker...


cost of living comes out to a bit more. I paid around 55 last year, than 22 for sumer, then im full time now. So im about 70 this year with tution and COL. I only had 29 K in loans from undergrad at vandy. Also, im a disgruntled law student like most others. Trying to keep it real and help you all out. take the advice or leave it. Crept back on this site because I'm looking at transferring options.

spencer1120
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby spencer1120 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:43 pm

tennisking88 wrote:Paying even close to sticker price for American borders on flagrant retardation


also many end up paying sticker by their 2L/3L years, since scholarships are hard to keep.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tennisking88 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:54 pm

spencer1120 wrote: cost of living comes out to a bit more. I paid around 55 last year, than 22 for sumer, then im full time now


Good pt. Many forget room/board is only for 9 months. Almost everyone works/has to pay room&board during summer. Doubt most 1L summer jobs cover cost of rent, esp. in DC.

Moral of the story is don't even think about American unless you have substantial aid or deep ties to the DC market or both.

z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby z0rk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:07 pm

spencer1120 wrote:
puremorning wrote:
z0rk wrote:
spencer1120 wrote:
Don't worry. I am a current 2L, switched from evening to day. This school pretty much sucks and is a waste of tuition. I wish I either didn't go to law school or went to a top 1-14 law school instead. I'm already 155K in debt, with no real job prospects. I expect another 70K of debt to hit me in the next year. Do your research people, law school isn't what it was. School's will do as much as they can to trick you into all the great things it has to offer. American is in a city with Georgetown (200 grads/yr) and George Washington (450 grads a year). You have over 650 grads a year coming out of these top two schools each year in DC. MEANING NO JOBS LEFT FOR YOU. And this doesn't even include the ~150 grads that come out of GMU, ~500 AU, ~200 CLS. I have tried doing everything from legal jobs to nonlegal jobs.

Figure out what you want. Maybe not getting accepted to AU is a blessing in disguise. Of course, if you feel like you have nothing left to do but go to law school then it might hurt. Like most students in my class who only thought they'd go to law school post-grad. They all soon realize they should've been more careful and instead have made smart decisions about other future careers. Law school just doesn't cut it anymore. Go to a school where you know you'll benefit from the risk. And today, thats only the T- 1-14 IF THAT! Otherwise you'll likely graduate jobless like me. Or embarrassed you spent 250K on a worthless degree when you could've spent it on worthy education and your future family.

You can't always believe that one day a JD will become relevant again. Just like it is fruitless to believe you'll get a decent job with a Bachelors (in most cases except computers/engineering/finance). It is now fruitless to believe you'd get a job with a JD. All my friends in the AU graduating class either are unemployed, working for free, or making less than 40-50K/year. Do the math.


No offense, but you are spitting a lot of personal BS our way. How are you 150K in debt in your second year of school? The cost of the evening division program is 30K, plus COL which is about 22K (Although if you treated PT for what it is you would be working, thus eliminating a COL loan and hopefully putting a small savings away for your eventual loan payoff). Are you including undergraduate debt in that figure? Or any other debt? If so, that's not fair and that is more of a personal issue than a criticism on AU.


Yeah, I think someone's just a little upset they paid sticker...


cost of living comes out to a bit more. I paid around 55 last year, than 22 for sumer, then im full time now. So im about 70 this year with tution and COL. I only had 29 K in loans from undergrad at vandy. Also, im a disgruntled law student like most others. Trying to keep it real and help you all out. take the advice or leave it. Crept back on this site because I'm looking at transferring options.


55k for your first year PT!?! Wow… so you took a full loan out and didn't work to pay for your COL. That's a personal financial issue right there, not a gripe with the school. Did you HAVE to take summer courses? You could reasonably be posting here saying you are approximately 60-70k in debt instead of 150k right now… I urge you not to blur the lines.

Also, on your point about the job market. Yes its tough. No not every single grad from Gtown, GWU, GMU, CLS, UMD, etc., stays in DC. Also, an interesting fact, DC is weathering the recession better than the rest of the country. I cannot speak to how the legal job market is doing, but in general there is work and employment opportunity in the DC area. Sources: http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/10/18 ... ob-growth/ and http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

spencer1120
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby spencer1120 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:11 pm

Idk why I am even entertaining this thread any longer. I didn't work full time, I was interning on the HIll unpaid. Which is good experience, but hasnt led to much. I took out 55K first year P/T. I took out 22K for summer classes (to catch up to F/T) and living costs. So that is about 75K already. Then F/T tuition is 44K for second year, plus living other costs etc ~25. That is another 75K. So a total of 150K.

Also, ALL F/T students WONT be working during 1L, so by the end of their 2L, they will likely also have about 150K in loans. Plus another 70 for 3L year. the math isn't really that complicated. My decision to work unpaid is neither here or there, as it is more and more common that law students arent making a substantial income during their law school career anyways. Nearly all students I know in 2L have unpaid or low-paying jobs IF A JOB AT ALL.

shroeder
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby shroeder » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Has anyone accepted been offered merit aid yet?

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tennisking88 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:21 pm

z0rk wrote:
55k for your first year PT!?! Wow… so you took a full loan out and didn't work to pay for your COL. That's a personal financial issue right there, not a gripe with the school. Did you HAVE to take summer courses? You could reasonably be posting here saying you are approximately 60-70k in debt instead of 150k right now… I urge you not to blur the lines.

Also, on your point about the job market. Yes its tough. No not every single grad from Gtown, GWU, GMU, CLS, UMD, etc., stays in DC. Also, an interesting fact, DC is weathering the recession better than the rest of the country. I cannot speak to how the legal job market is doing, but in general there is work and employment opportunity in the DC area. Sources: http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/10/18 ... ob-growth/ and http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html


1) This is just a whole bunch of nonsense. Yes, 55k is around what WCL estimates (http://www.wcl.american.edu/finaid/cost.cfm) a PT person pays. Yes, he did have to take summer classes to transfer into FT. His fault was attending this school at sticker, and he is rightly adivising everyone on this thread not to make the mistake he did.
2)Just because the DC area has general employment opportunities in no way means the same is true for legal jobs. It's also not just the DC-area schools WCL competes with, it's also the best T14 schools. The first jobs will always go to the best of the best, then GULC (~590 enrolled in 2011), then GW (~490 in 2011), then Mason/MD/WCL. By the time it reaches WCL you better be in at least the top 10% of your class to get a call back from a DC-area firm.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vpintz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:37 pm

they tso mad.

z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby z0rk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:38 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
z0rk wrote:
55k for your first year PT!?! Wow… so you took a full loan out and didn't work to pay for your COL. That's a personal financial issue right there, not a gripe with the school. Did you HAVE to take summer courses? You could reasonably be posting here saying you are approximately 60-70k in debt instead of 150k right now… I urge you not to blur the lines.

Also, on your point about the job market. Yes its tough. No not every single grad from Gtown, GWU, GMU, CLS, UMD, etc., stays in DC. Also, an interesting fact, DC is weathering the recession better than the rest of the country. I cannot speak to how the legal job market is doing, but in general there is work and employment opportunity in the DC area. Sources: http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/10/18 ... ob-growth/ and http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html


1) This is just a whole bunch of nonsense. Yes, 55k is around what WCL estimates (http://www.wcl.american.edu/finaid/cost.cfm) a PT person pays. Yes, he did have to take summer classes to transfer into FT. His fault was attending this school at sticker, and he is rightly adivising everyone on this thread not to make the mistake he did.
2)Just because the DC area has general employment opportunities in no way means the same is true for legal jobs. It's also not just the DC-area schools WCL competes with, it's also the best T14 schools. The first jobs will always go to the best of the best, then GULC (~590 enrolled in 2011), then GW (~490 in 2011), then Mason/MD/WCL. By the time it reaches WCL you better be in at least the top 10% of your class to get a call back from a DC-area firm.



I think you and I are actually making similar points about the sticker v. "Scholarship". Part of the attraction for PT is that you can work while in school. Working will mitigate certain costs (like COL). This 2L is complaining that his debt is exorbitant, and I am pointing out that the student is in control of the debt they take on. The 55k is what WCL estimates you will take on if you borrow the full costs for everything, but the traditional PT student (someone who works FT and wants to make a career change or move) will not borrow that bottom line amount. This is an example of a student who took a leap, got in PT (either by choice or because their numbers were less prohibitive for PT admission vs FT) and sought to transfer. That is not a wise strategy, and it's not the schools fault if someone comes into a bad position pursuing this strategy. If anything I wouldn't tell prospective AU students not to attend based on these experiences, I would instead advise a prospective student not to attend PT and switch to FT in this same fashion.

Furthermore, I noted that the increase in DC job figures doesn't necessarily mean that legal jobs will be on the same uptick as other sectors. (but hey, if you want a job while going to school part time there may be one available) Also you are referencing "DC-area firm" jobs. That's not all DC has to offer (and before you counter, I would agree that WCL still has to compete for those governmental and non-firm JD positions).




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, AJ1010, Bob loblaw law blog, dreamer_13, Maaza, MSNbot Media, Nobiggie, okf731, Snowjon, studyingeveryday, ThorB and 24 guests