American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PinkRevolver

New

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by PinkRevolver » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:37 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:Do you guys think the application deadline extension could mean that they have possibly more money to give out? :/ Here's to hoping..

lol. I would hope that too. But apparently in our cycle, there has been a 16% decline in the number of law school applicants nation wide. I think they're just trying to hold out and see if they get more apps. Some way or another, they have to fill all their seats.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:39 pm

PinkRevolver wrote:
futurejdgirl wrote:Do you guys think the application deadline extension could mean that they have possibly more money to give out? :/ Here's to hoping..

lol. I would hope that too. But apparently in our cycle, there has been a 16% decline in the number of law school applicants nation wide. I think they're just trying to hold out and see if they get more apps. Some way or another, they have to fill all their seats.
Just curious: where did you get the percentage from?

wightjm

New

Post by wightjm » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:41 pm

PinkRevolver wrote:

pick me! pick me! im just a said little waitlister.

PinkRevolver

New

Post by PinkRevolver » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:04 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
PinkRevolver wrote:

Just curious: where did you get the percentage from?

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/01/the-earl ... lications/

And there was a thread on TLS discussing it. To be fair, these numbers were estimated before the feb lsat scores came out. So it is possible that many people applied recently after getting their scores.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:09 pm

PinkRevolver wrote:

And there was a thread on TLS discussing it. To be fair, these numbers were estimated before the feb lsat scores came out. So it is possible that many people applied recently after getting their scores.
Thank you! I have been hearing this lately and I just wanted to see if anyone had a source. I wonder what this says about future employment...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PinkRevolver

New

Post by PinkRevolver » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:40 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
PinkRevolver wrote:

Thank you! I have been hearing this lately and I just wanted to see if anyone had a source. I wonder what this says about future employment...

I'm hoping it means we caught they economy right on its uptake and since there will be fewer of us, there won't be quite as much of us as usual applying for the same SA positions. This is just a dream of mine though. Probably not gonna come true. Lol

andrew643

New

Post by andrew643 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Went to AU undergrad, loved everything about it, really thinking of doing a dual degree at WCL. Feel free to ask my any questions about the area or DC! Hopefully see you all in classes in the fall!

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:31 pm

Andrew, what's the best plan for commuting/where to live? I mean, if you live in central D.C. and take the Metro, you're at the mercy of the AU shuttle which everyone seems to hate. If you live out in MD, you have traffic and (presumably) parking hassles. If you live walking distance of AU (are there such places?), your whole world revolves around the school. Which is least painful? Thanks.

davwrite

New

Post by davwrite » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Who else is going to the admit reception shindig at Tysons? -edit: the "Nothern Virginia Reception" on the 15th-

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DC818

New

Post by DC818 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:55 pm

Robespierre wrote:Andrew, what's the best plan for commuting/where to live? I mean, if you live in central D.C. and take the Metro, you're at the mercy of the AU shuttle which everyone seems to hate. If you live out in MD, you have traffic and (presumably) parking hassles. If you live walking distance of AU (are there such places?), your whole world revolves around the school. Which is least painful? Thanks.
Unless you'll be part-time and plan on working downtown, I'd highly suggest living in (in preferential order) Friendship Heights, Tenleytown, Van Ness, Cleveland Park. All of these are on the red line MetroRail, and are an easy commute to AU. The AU shuttle can be a mess, and the separate line to WCL runs infrequently. Friendship Heights is ideal, as the bus station there departs a bus stopping at WCL roughly every 25 minutes. There are places within walking distance (mostly private homes), but the apartment buildings tend to be centered around MetroRail stations.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:07 pm

I'm guessing everyone got that whole email from the "faculty of color" welcoming them and stuff?

Also, I started a thread in the "Class of 2015" forum if you guys want to talk about apartment searching and other things...I'm extremely stressed about living costs, I can barely afford to get by right now and I'm entirely dependent on loans :/

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=179525

alwayslovely

New

Post by alwayslovely » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:19 am

I thought American and I could be great together, but it is just too prciey/risky at sticker with COL in DC.

andrew643

New

Post by andrew643 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:15 pm

DC818 wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Andrew, what's the best plan for commuting/where to live? I mean, if you live in central D.C. and take the Metro, you're at the mercy of the AU shuttle which everyone seems to hate. If you live out in MD, you have traffic and (presumably) parking hassles. If you live walking distance of AU (are there such places?), your whole world revolves around the school. Which is least painful? Thanks.
Unless you'll be part-time and plan on working downtown, I'd highly suggest living in (in preferential order) Friendship Heights, Tenleytown, Van Ness, Cleveland Park. All of these are on the red line MetroRail, and are an easy commute to AU. The AU shuttle can be a mess, and the separate line to WCL runs infrequently. Friendship Heights is ideal, as the bus station there departs a bus stopping at WCL roughly every 25 minutes. There are places within walking distance (mostly private homes), but the apartment buildings tend to be centered around MetroRail stations.
Couldn't agree more. The Shuttle isn't that horrible, but if you can live on the N4 bus line its much better.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SeatoDC

New

Post by SeatoDC » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 pm

:)
Last edited by SeatoDC on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

kgus22

New

Post by kgus22 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:00 pm

SeatoDC wrote:Accepted 150/3.5 not great but might give hope to some people who have lower scores like me. I guess you never really know what admissions people are looking for. I do have a great resume/experience and unique background.
wow...you must have had something working for you because i got waitlisted with higher last and gpa than that. are you URM?

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Bummed. Talked to admissions - scholarships are absolutely not given to people unless they are above median for LSAT AND GPA. Also, no partial seat deposits. Do they just want to make sure that everyone that attends their school is rich? Or they just want our money. I really love American but I'm having serious doubts. This is just way too much money and absolutely no leniency. I can see why people are hating on it as a school now - it has the ivy league attitude but not the credentials.

amantedevie

New

Post by amantedevie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Just got denied... 167/3.2. Ouch. I'm in at UMinn with a scholarship but would've gone to American without because I want to practice international law and live in DC. Weird, I thought my chances were pretty good, I wrote a very specific "why American" and have a strong resume/ WE. WTF?!?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:13 pm

amantedevie wrote:Just got denied... 167/3.2. Ouch. I'm in at UMinn with a scholarship but would've gone to American without because I want to practice international law and live in DC. Weird, I thought my chances were pretty good, I wrote a very specific "why American" and have a strong resume/ WE. WTF?!?
They practice very harsh YP... Don't be worried

SeatoDC

New

Post by SeatoDC » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:07 am

Last edited by SeatoDC on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

tallgaloot

New

Post by tallgaloot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Ok- I'm a little late to the party here. American was not one of my top picks, But, I've been denied to most of my top choices at the moment and am trying to decide where to go. A few things to consider:
I'm specifically looking toward public interest law, at helping children and families in poverty as a child/poverty advocate. Whether this happens at a nonprofit, a government agency, or somewhere else has yet to be seen. I have no desire for "Big Law." Keep these things in mind:
1. I want to go to the BEST school possible.
2. Since making money is not my biggest concern, a school with a good LRAP would be a good fit.
3. If possible, I'd like to stay close to the east coast (NJ) as I have an ill mother. Would probably prefer to practice somewhere in the northeast (New York, PA, NJ, MD, Washington DC areas).
4. I want the school with the best track record/program in public interest.
5. I wouldn't mind a judicial clerkship after graduation.
6. I want to work hard and have a job soon after graduating.

At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards Notre Dame, as they seem to have a better public interest law program or Washington and Lee. CONVINCE ME I'M WRONG!

As far as tuition/scholarship, Notre Dame and W&L both have offered me around a 1/2 ride. American has offered me nothing yet.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:46 pm

tallgaloot wrote:Ok- I'm a little late to the party here. American was not one of my top picks, But, I've been denied to most of my top choices at the moment and am trying to decide where to go. A few things to consider:
I'm specifically looking toward public interest law, at helping children and families in poverty as a child/poverty advocate. Whether this happens at a nonprofit, a government agency, or somewhere else has yet to be seen. I have no desire for "Big Law." Keep these things in mind:
1. I want to go to the BEST school possible.
2. Since making money is not my biggest concern, a school with a good LRAP would be a good fit.
3. If possible, I'd like to stay close to the east coast (NJ) as I have an ill mother. Would probably prefer to practice somewhere in the northeast (New York, PA, NJ, MD, Washington DC areas).
4. I want the school with the best track record/program in public interest.
5. I wouldn't mind a judicial clerkship after graduation.
6. I want to work hard and have a job soon after graduating.

At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards Notre Dame, as they seem to have a better public interest law program or Washington and Lee. CONVINCE ME I'M WRONG!

As far as tuition/scholarship, Notre Dame and W&L both have offered me around a 1/2 ride. American has offered me nothing yet.

I don't think you're wrong. I would try and maybe negotiate with W&L for more money since Notre Dame not only accepted you but offered you money and they have a higher ranking. You have some really good options. Also the "Choosing a law school" forum might be more helpful to you.
Last edited by futurejdgirl on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tallgaloot

New

Post by tallgaloot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:48 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:

I don't think you're wrong. I would try and maybe negotiate with W&L for more money since Notre Dame not only accepted you but offered you money and they have a higher ranking. You have some really good options
How does one go about negotiating for more money? Just talk to financial aid? Notre Dame and W&L have almost identical rankings.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:52 pm

tallgaloot wrote:
futurejdgirl wrote:

I don't think you're wrong. I would try and maybe negotiate with W&L for more money since Notre Dame not only accepted you but offered you money and they have a higher ranking. You have some really good options
How does one go about negotiating for more money? Just talk to financial aid? Notre Dame and W&L have almost identical rankings.

Yes, even if they have similar rankings, that's a good thing - it makes them "peer" schools. sSnd a formal email request with good reasons why you want to attend but you have finances to consider and you have other competitive offers. There is an entire thread dedicated to this in this forum and people have posted drafts of their letters to give you an idea of what to say. Here's the link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=27221

eringobragh

New

Post by eringobragh » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:54 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:Bummed. Talked to admissions - scholarships are absolutely not given to people unless they are above median for LSAT AND GPA. Also, no partial seat deposits. Do they just want to make sure that everyone that attends their school is rich? Or they just want our money. I really love American but I'm having serious doubts. This is just way too much money and absolutely no leniency. I can see why people are hating on it as a school now - it has the ivy league attitude but not the credentials.
You said it. It's wavering at the top of my list now, but that seat deposit and lack of scholarships is really painful.

hernanmi

New

Post by hernanmi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Anyone going to the Admitted Students Reception in Chicago tonight?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”