American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
spencer1120

New

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by spencer1120 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:55 pm

z0rk wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
z0rk wrote:
55k for your first year PT!?! Wow… so you took a full loan out and didn't work to pay for your COL. That's a personal financial issue right there, not a gripe with the school. Did you HAVE to take summer courses? You could reasonably be posting here saying you are approximately 60-70k in debt instead of 150k right now… I urge you not to blur the lines.

Also, on your point about the job market. Yes its tough. No not every single grad from Gtown, GWU, GMU, CLS, UMD, etc., stays in DC. Also, an interesting fact, DC is weathering the recession better than the rest of the country. I cannot speak to how the legal job market is doing, but in general there is work and employment opportunity in the DC area. Sources: http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/10/18 ... ob-growth/ and http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html
1) This is just a whole bunch of nonsense. Yes, 55k is around what WCL estimates (http://www.wcl.american.edu/finaid/cost.cfm) a PT person pays. Yes, he did have to take summer classes to transfer into FT. His fault was attending this school at sticker, and he is rightly adivising everyone on this thread not to make the mistake he did.
2)Just because the DC area has general employment opportunities in no way means the same is true for legal jobs. It's also not just the DC-area schools WCL competes with, it's also the best T14 schools. The first jobs will always go to the best of the best, then GULC (~590 enrolled in 2011), then GW (~490 in 2011), then Mason/MD/WCL. By the time it reaches WCL you better be in at least the top 10% of your class to get a call back from a DC-area firm.

I think you and I are actually making similar points about the sticker v. "Scholarship". Part of the attraction for PT is that you can work while in school. Working will mitigate certain costs (like COL). This 2L is complaining that his debt is exorbitant, and I am pointing out that the student is in control of the debt they take on. The 55k is what WCL estimates you will take on if you borrow the full costs for everything, but the traditional PT student (someone who works FT and wants to make a career change or move) will not borrow that bottom line amount. This is an example of a student who took a leap, got in PT (either by choice or because their numbers were less prohibitive for PT admission vs FT) and sought to transfer. That is not a wise strategy, and it's not the schools fault if someone comes into a bad position pursuing this strategy. If anything I wouldn't tell prospective AU students not to attend based on these experiences, I would instead advise a prospective student not to attend PT and switch to FT in this same fashion.

Furthermore, I noted that the increase in DC job figures doesn't necessarily mean that legal jobs will be on the same uptick as other sectors. (but hey, if you want a job while going to school part time there may be one available) Also you are referencing "DC-area firm" jobs. That's not all DC has to offer (and before you counter, I would agree that WCL still has to compete for those governmental and non-firm JD positions).
like i said, most PT students dont make enough to even cover COL. And all FT students dont work at all 1L. even if I did work for money, I would've saved (max) around 40 off loans, meaning i'd be at around 125K. Most FT studnets are around 150K debt at 2L just FYI. thats a lot...

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:51 am

spencer1120 wrote:Don't worry. I am a current 2L, switched from evening to day. This school pretty much sucks and is a waste of tuition. I wish I either didn't go to law school or went to a top 1-14 law school instead. I'm already 155K in debt, with no real job prospects. I expect another 70K of debt to hit me in the next year. Do your research people, law school isn't what it was. School's will do as much as they can to trick you into all the great things it has to offer. American is in a city with Georgetown (200 grads/yr) and George Washington (450 grads a year). You have over 650 grads a year coming out of these top two schools each year in DC. MEANING NO JOBS LEFT FOR YOU. And this doesn't even include the ~150 grads that come out of GMU, ~500 AU, ~200 CLS. I have tried doing everything from legal jobs to nonlegal jobs.

Figure out what you want. Maybe not getting accepted to AU is a blessing in disguise. Of course, if you feel like you have nothing left to do but go to law school then it might hurt. Like most students in my class who only thought they'd go to law school post-grad. They all soon realize they should've been more careful and instead have made smart decisions about other future careers. Law school just doesn't cut it anymore. Go to a school where you know you'll benefit from the risk. And today, thats only the T- 1-14 IF THAT! Otherwise you'll likely graduate jobless like me. Or embarrassed you spent 250K on a worthless degree when you could've spent it on worthy education and your future family.

You can't always believe that one day a JD will become relevant again. Just like it is fruitless to believe you'll get a decent job with a Bachelors (in most cases except computers/engineering/finance). It is now fruitless to believe you'd get a job with a JD. All my friends in the AU graduating class either are unemployed, working for free, or making less than 40-50K/year. Do the math.
Despite the fact that you're a student at the school they're attending (and may be sharing worthwhile insight), you're functionally doing the same thing that many other "Don't go to XYZ" trolls do, and I am going to have to ask you to stop. If you want to make a thread to convince students not to attend American, by all means, be my guest.

akua1209

New

Post by akua1209 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:02 am

dailygrind wrote:
spencer1120 wrote:Don't worry. I am a current 2L, switched from evening to day. This school pretty much sucks and is a waste of tuition. I wish I either didn't go to law school or went to a top 1-14 law school instead. I'm already 155K in debt, with no real job prospects. I expect another 70K of debt to hit me in the next year. Do your research people, law school isn't what it was. School's will do as much as they can to trick you into all the great things it has to offer. American is in a city with Georgetown (200 grads/yr) and George Washington (450 grads a year). You have over 650 grads a year coming out of these top two schools each year in DC. MEANING NO JOBS LEFT FOR YOU. And this doesn't even include the ~150 grads that come out of GMU, ~500 AU, ~200 CLS. I have tried doing everything from legal jobs to nonlegal jobs.

Figure out what you want. Maybe not getting accepted to AU is a blessing in disguise. Of course, if you feel like you have nothing left to do but go to law school then it might hurt. Like most students in my class who only thought they'd go to law school post-grad. They all soon realize they should've been more careful and instead have made smart decisions about other future careers. Law school just doesn't cut it anymore. Go to a school where you know you'll benefit from the risk. And today, thats only the T- 1-14 IF THAT! Otherwise you'll likely graduate jobless like me. Or embarrassed you spent 250K on a worthless degree when you could've spent it on worthy education and your future family.

You can't always believe that one day a JD will become relevant again. Just like it is fruitless to believe you'll get a decent job with a Bachelors (in most cases except computers/engineering/finance). It is now fruitless to believe you'd get a job with a JD. All my friends in the AU graduating class either are unemployed, working for free, or making less than 40-50K/year. Do the math.
Despite the fact that you're a student at the school they're attending (and may be sharing worthwhile insight), you're functionally doing the same thing that many other "Don't go to XYZ" trolls do, and I am going to have to ask you to stop. If you want to make a thread to convince students not to attend American, by all means, be my guest.

Thank you!! This is a thread for acceptances, denials, and waitlists. Anything beyond getting into/not getting into this school should be taken somewhere else.

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:26 am

akua1209 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:Despite the fact that you're a student at the school they're attending (and may be sharing worthwhile insight), you're functionally doing the same thing that many other "Don't go to XYZ" trolls do, and I am going to have to ask you to stop. If you want to make a thread to convince students not to attend American, by all means, be my guest.

Thank you!! This is a thread for acceptances, denials, and waitlists. Anything beyond getting into/not getting into this school should be taken somewhere else.
Agreed!

MG88

New

Post by MG88 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:08 pm

In :D Yay I'm so excited! Received 01-18-12, Decision 02-03-12 hopefully I get some $$ when I receive the packet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

akarenina

New

Post by akarenina » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:09 pm

Accepted just now via e-mail!

NinjaStyle1985

New

Post by NinjaStyle1985 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Accepted via E-mail ! First acceptance of the cycle.

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:25 pm

MG88 wrote:In :D Yay I'm so excited! Received 01-18-12, Decision 02-03-12 hopefully I get some $$ when I receive the packet.
They sent out this email a few days ago:
Congratulations again on your acceptance to American University Washington College of Law for the fall 2012 entering class. We wanted to let you know about the different forms of financial aid and scholarships available at American University Washington College of Law.
Types of Financial Aid
1. Full and Part-Time Students
a. Stafford Loans: You must file the FAFSA to be considered for federal Stafford Loans. The FAFSA is filed online at http://www.fafsa.gov. List American University to receive your application information. The AU Title IV code is 001434. There is no cost to apply for federal financial aid. The FAFSA must be filed by March 1, 2012. ** Note: Your FAFSA information must be received by AU WCL before you can be considered for any need-based aid administered by the institution.

b. First-Year Merit Scholarships: All admitted students are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships, no additional application is required. Recipients are typically notified in March. The notification comes separately from your admissions acceptance letter. These merit scholarships are based on undergraduate GPA and LSAT score. Enrolled students are later eligible for Restricted Scholarships that are awarded during the academic year.

2. Full-Time Students Only a. Washington College of Law Grant candidates must complete the Need Access application in addition to the FAFSA. Typically, the average grant awarded to qualified first-year students is $11,800 with the maximum at $16,000.

The application is filed online at http://www.needaccess.org/ and the analysis is forwarded to AU WCL. You may call (800) 282-1550 for additional information and other application options. A processing fee is charged. It should be noted that parental information is required of all applicants for institutional aid regardless of age or dependency status. Applications without parental information are incomplete and will not be considered. You can include estimated tax information and submit final tax information later in the process, but at least submit the basic application to hold your space in the grant review process. You must reapply each year you wish to be considered for assistance. Aid is not automatically renewed. You do not need to complete the CSS Profile application. That form is not used for AU WCL students, but may be listed as an option on the <myau.american.edu> portal since it is used for students on the AU main campus.

b. Public Interest/Public Service (PIPS) Scholarship: This scholarship program provides financial and programmatic support to students with a clearly-demonstrated commitment to public service, strong academic credentials, and an express desire to pursue a public interest or public service career upon graduation. The PIPS program allocates up to ten full-tuition, three-year scholarships to students who pledge to spend three of the first five years after graduation working in public service. The application deadline has been extended to January 30, 2012. To apply go to Public Interest/Public Service Scholarship page.

If you have any questions, regarding financial aid forms and requirements, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 202-274-4040 or finaid@wcl.american.edu.
Doesn't look like merit scholarship info will come with your packet (which is a web portal packet, you get a letter and have to sign in using a unique pin and id the school assigns you).
Last edited by z0rk on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NinjaStyle1985

New

Post by NinjaStyle1985 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:01 pm

MG88 wrote:In :D Yay I'm so excited! Received 01-18-12, Decision 02-03-12 hopefully I get some $$ when I receive the packet.
akarenina wrote:Accepted just now via e-mail!
Congrats!! I'm really loving their study abroad programs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stinger97

New

Post by Stinger97 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:04 pm

Also just got accepted via email. Waiting to see about scholarship money before I get my hopes up, but it's the first acceptance of the cycle so I'm still excited! :)

bwol

New

Post by bwol » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:51 am

I got accepted in january, but i just got back from doing school visits. American was amazing!!! The vibe at the school and surrounding area was great! It has definitely moved to the top of my list!

MG88

New

Post by MG88 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:53 pm

z0rk wrote:
They sent out this email a few days ago:
Congratulations again on your acceptance to American University Washington College of Law for the fall 2012 entering class. We wanted to let you know about the different forms of financial aid and scholarships available at American University Washington College of Law.
Types of Financial Aid
1. Full and Part-Time Students
a. Stafford Loans: You must file the FAFSA to be considered for federal Stafford Loans. The FAFSA is filed online at http://www.fafsa.gov. List American University to receive your application information. The AU Title IV code is 001434. There is no cost to apply for federal financial aid. The FAFSA must be filed by March 1, 2012. ** Note: Your FAFSA information must be received by AU WCL before you can be considered for any need-based aid administered by the institution.

b. First-Year Merit Scholarships: All admitted students are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships, no additional application is required. Recipients are typically notified in March. The notification comes separately from your admissions acceptance letter. These merit scholarships are based on undergraduate GPA and LSAT score. Enrolled students are later eligible for Restricted Scholarships that are awarded during the academic year.

2. Full-Time Students Only a. Washington College of Law Grant candidates must complete the Need Access application in addition to the FAFSA. Typically, the average grant awarded to qualified first-year students is $11,800 with the maximum at $16,000.

The application is filed online at http://www.needaccess.org/ and the analysis is forwarded to AU WCL. You may call (800) 282-1550 for additional information and other application options. A processing fee is charged. It should be noted that parental information is required of all applicants for institutional aid regardless of age or dependency status. Applications without parental information are incomplete and will not be considered. You can include estimated tax information and submit final tax information later in the process, but at least submit the basic application to hold your space in the grant review process. You must reapply each year you wish to be considered for assistance. Aid is not automatically renewed. You do not need to complete the CSS Profile application. That form is not used for AU WCL students, but may be listed as an option on the <myau.american.edu> portal since it is used for students on the AU main campus.

b. Public Interest/Public Service (PIPS) Scholarship: This scholarship program provides financial and programmatic support to students with a clearly-demonstrated commitment to public service, strong academic credentials, and an express desire to pursue a public interest or public service career upon graduation. The PIPS program allocates up to ten full-tuition, three-year scholarships to students who pledge to spend three of the first five years after graduation working in public service. The application deadline has been extended to January 30, 2012. To apply go to Public Interest/Public Service Scholarship page.

If you have any questions, regarding financial aid forms and requirements, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 202-274-4040 or finaid@wcl.american.edu.
Doesn't look like merit scholarship info will come with your packet (which is a web portal packet, you get a letter and have to sign in using a unique pin and id the school assigns you).
Thanks for letting me know, I haven't logged on to the web portal yet, I had to wait for the 24hour sign up window.

MG88

New

Post by MG88 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:54 pm

NinjaStyle1985 wrote:
akarenina wrote:Accepted just now via e-mail!
Congrats!! I'm really loving their study abroad programs.
Congrats to you guys too! I have a friend who transferred to American and she loves it there, I'm so excited!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

doceydoe

New

Post by doceydoe » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:22 am

anyone in nyc attending AU's union square penthouse party??? swag :D

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:59 am

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:16 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:I was hoping to get some advice :D

I currently have my app on hold until they receive my Feb LSAT score. I have a 3.7ish GPA and a 155ish LSAT and am open to part-time or full-time. Non-URM. I also have a ton of PI full-time work experience, volunteering, and other neat stuff about me. My question is, do you think I should ask them to take it off hold and start processing it? I'm just a little nervous about waiting another month essentially to even get the ball going with processing it considering how long people are waiting. Thoughts?
What were you PT'ing before you took February. How well do you think you did on the February exam, and give yourself and honest answer regarding that. If you think you did substantially better (3 points or more) keep the hold. If not release.

FWIW, I applied right before thanksgiving and I was accepted to PT just three weeks later. I do have some softs that are well tailored to AU though.

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:38 pm

That is some great news Zork! I had seen your profile and was wondering when you had applied. Actually the Feb LSAT hasn't happened yet (it's tomorrow). I've been PT-ing at a better level for the most part. The most recent tests have gone between 161-165 though for some reason I only got a 158 on the October 2011 test (hard games and rc I think kind of threw me). I'm feeling pretty confident about tomorrow though outside of that one score as these scores have all been from tests in the 50's and 60's. And yes, as far as my softs and other things, I feel like I'm putting together a pretty good app. I was waitlisted at Minnesota and George Mason (full or part-time) so everything seems to be solid and I really played up the solid PI experience.

I would really love American as well :oops:

Can I ask, did you apply PT or did they put you in PT?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

swagu

New

Post by swagu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Been sitting idle since 12/16. I saw some acceptanced were sent out last friday, so maybe today will be a good day!

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:13 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:That is some great news Zork! I had seen your profile and was wondering when you had applied. Actually the Feb LSAT hasn't happened yet (it's tomorrow). I've been PT-ing at a better level for the most part. The most recent tests have gone between 161-165 though for some reason I only got a 158 on the October 2011 test (hard games and rc I think kind of threw me). I'm feeling pretty confident about tomorrow though outside of that one score as these scores have all been from tests in the 50's and 60's. And yes, as far as my softs and other things, I feel like I'm putting together a pretty good app. I was waitlisted at Minnesota and George Mason (full or part-time) so everything seems to be solid and I really played up the solid PI experience.

I would really love American as well :oops:

Can I ask, did you apply PT or did they put you in PT?
I specifically applied PT. I work and live in Baltimore as a civil litigation paralegal. I also interned for a Maryland congressman for a full year, so I had some softs specific to AU.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:43 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kolokena

New

Post by kolokena » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Waitlisted and withdrew, kind of shocked b/c I got into GULC Regular Decision.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

letmeinlawschool

New

Post by letmeinlawschool » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:53 pm

i withdrew my acceptance officially today. Someone else can have my very expensive spot in the class:) good luck y'all

RNDC4162

New

Post by RNDC4162 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Can someone please explain to me how I a got waitlisted at American?

3.62 / 166 - well above both 75th percent tiles...

Great personal and great softs....

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:04 pm

RNDC4162 wrote:Can someone please explain to me how I a got waitlisted at American?

Yield protection. I think American is a pretty big offender in this regard.

kolokena

New

Post by kolokena » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:10 pm

stillwater wrote:
RNDC4162 wrote:Can someone please explain to me how I a got waitlisted at American?

Yield protection. I think American is a pretty big offender in this regard.
Word.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”