American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
emaye

New

Re: American c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by emaye » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:46 pm

z0rk wrote:
emaye wrote:WL today, 171/3.96, undergrad Umich, great LORs and pretty decent softs. Said straight out in my app that American was the only place I wanted to go, only place I applied. Not a single person I talked to ever suggested I wouldn't get in, still pretty shocked.
I think you have much hope because this is likely a yield protect measure. Think about it, its probable that many students apply to a bunch of different schools stating to each school that it is "the only place [they] wanted to go, only place [they] applied". This isn't necessarily genuine, and how is each adcomm supposed to know if it's a truly genuine proposition. American is trying to call a bluff, show them your cards and they will fold.

Draft an LOCI every 6 weeks, send more LOR's, call the admissions office, and visit if you are able. I feel strongly that such measures would get you off of their waitlist.

I appreciate that, it makes me feel a little better. I plan to send a LOCI soon and updated transcripts. I'm hoping that I just got on there because it looked like I would be shooting for higher schools and if I show them how badly I do want to go then I'll get in np. I just hope it won't take until late July or something because eventually I am going to have to make a mental, if not actual, commitment to some plans for the fall.

tlsforumlaw

New

Post by tlsforumlaw » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:47 pm

emaye wrote:
z0rk wrote:
emaye wrote:WL today, 171/3.96, undergrad Umich, great LORs and pretty decent softs. Said straight out in my app that American was the only place I wanted to go, only place I applied. Not a single person I talked to ever suggested I wouldn't get in, still pretty shocked.
I think you have much hope because this is likely a yield protect measure. Think about it, its probable that many students apply to a bunch of different schools stating to each school that it is "the only place [they] wanted to go, only place [they] applied". This isn't necessarily genuine, and how is each adcomm supposed to know if it's a truly genuine proposition. American is trying to call a bluff, show them your cards and they will fold.

Draft an LOCI every 6 weeks, send more LOR's, call the admissions office, and visit if you are able. I feel strongly that such measures would get you off of their waitlist.

I appreciate that, it makes me feel a little better. I plan to send a LOCI soon and updated transcripts. I'm hoping that I just got on there because it looked like I would be shooting for higher schools and if I show them how badly I do want to go then I'll get in np. I just hope it won't take until late July or something because eventually I am going to have to make a mental, if not actual, commitment to some plans for the fall.
How do you feel about scholarships at this point? Won't be much $$:(

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 pm

With those numbers, why American? You're doing it wrong. Take one of CCNMVPB, probably with some $$, and enjoy the infinitely better job prospects.

tlsforumlaw

New

Post by tlsforumlaw » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:17 pm

when do u guys foresee the next batch of admittances ?

emaye

New

Post by emaye » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:15 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
With those numbers, why American? You're doing it wrong. Take one of CCNMVPB, probably with some $$, and enjoy the infinitely better job prospects.
I'm getting my master's in int'l affairs at the same time from American, want to be in DC for the specific jobs I'm looking at, and the dual degree program is actually better at AU than GWU or Georgetown, who fight you every step of the way. So yeah, if I was just doing law I'd probably go somewhere else.

Re: $$ I wasn't really expecting it to start with, so that really hasn't changed, except now I pretty much know I'm not getting any.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emaye

New

Post by emaye » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:32 pm

emaye wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
I'm getting my master's in int'l affairs at the same time from American, want to be in DC for the specific jobs I'm looking at, and the dual degree program is actually better at AU than GWU or Georgetown, who fight you every step of the way. So yeah, if I was just doing law I'd probably go somewhere else.

Re: $$ I wasn't really expecting it to start with, so that really hasn't changed, except now I pretty much know I'm not getting any.

Just got into the grad school, so hoping to be able to use that to push for acceptance in my LOCI. Only thing stopping me from committing is...oh yeah, you haven't accepted me...

Here's hoping

dreambig

New

Post by dreambig » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:54 pm

Anyone else get an "application complete" update on 2/10 then again on 2/15? Or have any idea what this means?

tlsforumlaw

New

Post by tlsforumlaw » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:26 pm

dreambig wrote:Anyone else get an "application complete" update on 2/10 then again on 2/15? Or have any idea what this means?
i did, my last one was on the 30th of jan, but it happened a few times. still haven't heard back:(

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:45 pm

I thought I posted an update yesterday but I guess it didn't go through so I am resubmitting for your edification.

I visited AU-WCL yesterday and I have the following to report:

1.) The admissions officer did disclose that applications are assigned to various application managers according to last name in the alphabet. This might account for delays some people might be experiencing in their application processing.
2.) Not a huge shocker, but its very unlikely you will see any merit aid if your LSAT and GPA do not surpass the median numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:52 pm

z0rk wrote:I thought I posted an update yesterday but I guess it didn't go through so I am resubmitting for your edification.

1.) The admissions officer did disclose that applications are assigned to various application managers according to last name in the alphabet. This might account for delays some people might be experiencing in their application processing.
2.) Not a huge shocker, but its very unlikely you will see any merit aid if your LSAT and GPA do not surpass the median numbers.
What about splitters? My LSAT is above their 75th, but my GPA is below their 25th :|

ETA: yeah, looking over on LSN, no one except a URM got money below a 3.4. oh well.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:58 pm

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 pm

stephinmd wrote:
z0rk wrote:I thought I posted an update yesterday but I guess it didn't go through so I am resubmitting for your edification.

What about splitters? My LSAT is above their 75th, but my GPA is below their 25th :|

ETA: yeah, looking over on LSN, no one except a URM got money below a 3.4. oh well.
I am a splitter and asked that question, the admissions counselor said its very unlikely. One thing to note though, meritt scholarships are typically (not all!) for the first year only. They award additionally scholarships your 2L, 3L, and 4L (PT) years.

illy22

Bronze

Post by illy22 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:50 pm

speakin of scholarships.... any PIPS applicants hear back yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Admitted to American a week ago... but I am wondering if there is any chance at money. I cannot decide if it is worth sticker; I applied late so we will see where else I get in, but no matter how much I want to go to DC or NY, I cannot see coming to DC (from Midwest) for sticker unless it's GW or Georgetown. I guess we will see, but if I get into T1 in the Midwest, I don't think I will come out to DC without money, and with a 2.81 167 I doubt I will get any. This is a really hard choice that I may have to let the money make for me. Especially if I get into Nebraska, Minnesota and Colorado (or any of the above). I want to be excited about this acceptance, but without money, I'm having trouble working up much enthusiasm. As a side note, I did get over half tuition at Brooklyn with minimal stips. This decision process is so difficult.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Did anyone else apply to the MA International Affairs/JD dual degree program? If so, have you heard back from either school? How long after you applied did you hear back?

Gavel

New

Post by Gavel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 am

I got waitlisted here too. Out of the schools that responded, i would prefer American.

is there something i should do now? should i write a LOCI or call? is it too early to do that yet?

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:38 am

Gavel wrote:I got waitlisted here too. Out of the schools that responded, i would prefer American.

is there something i should do now? should i write a LOCI or call? is it too early to do that yet?
What are your numbers? What program did you apply to? Yes, draft an LOCI and transmit via email (as a scanned signed attachment of the letter) and regular mail. Visit the school, network, and stay in touch. I'd also call the school to get a sense of their waitlist policies - i.e. how big is the waitlist, do they rank people, can they share your rank, when do they review the waitlist, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ab616

New

Post by ab616 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:58 am

illy22 wrote:speakin of scholarships.... any PIPS applicants hear back yet?
nothing yet for me

illy22

Bronze

Post by illy22 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:07 pm

ab616 wrote:
illy22 wrote:speakin of scholarships.... any PIPS applicants hear back yet?
nothing yet for me
Thanks. I just got an e-mail that my app is under review for it... so hopefully some positive news on that front soon. Would definitely be a big draw from some other current schools in contention.

Good luck to you!

stevepark309

New

Post by stevepark309 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 pm

I will probably withdraw within the next 48 hours so good luck to those on WL. :D

emaye

New

Post by emaye » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:59 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:Did anyone else apply to the MA International Affairs/JD dual degree program? If so, have you heard back from either school? How long after you applied did you hear back?

Applied end of December to both. 2/15 was waitlisted JD, 2/16 admitted to MA, then 2/17 admitted JD off the waitlist. Had to hurry up and pay the deposit or forfeit my seat, obnoxiously, but got in.

I read that the MA doesn't respond until beginning-mid April but that clearly didn't happen for me. Maybe because I'm fairly far above the median scores? (3.9/171).

Re: the waitlist, I really feel like they were screwing with me here to force my hand to commit by waitlisting until I got into the masters program, especially since I told them in my application all I really wanted to do was the JD/MA. They're either playing games or really bad at communicating, but either way it caused a lot of anxiety. It worked out in the end though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RunwayRed

New

Post by RunwayRed » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:15 pm

emaye wrote:
futurejdgirl wrote:Did anyone else apply to the MA International Affairs/JD dual degree program? If so, have you heard back from either school? How long after you applied did you hear back?

Applied end of December to both. 2/15 was waitlisted JD, 2/16 admitted to MA, then 2/17 admitted JD off the waitlist. Had to hurry up and pay the deposit or forfeit my seat, obnoxiously, but got in.

I read that the MA doesn't respond until beginning-mid April but that clearly didn't happen for me. Maybe because I'm fairly far above the median scores? (3.9/171).

Re: the waitlist, I really feel like they were screwing with me here to force my hand to commit by waitlisting until I got into the masters program, especially since I told them in my application all I really wanted to do was the JD/MA. They're either playing games or really bad at communicating, but either way it caused a lot of anxiety. It worked out in the end though.
Congrats! With your numbers, they are being a fool not to admit you in the first place when you expressed your interest in AU. I am from umich too and thinking about attending to AU if they give me some $$. It would be nice to see alumni there :)

Gavel

New

Post by Gavel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:29 pm

z0rk wrote:
What are your numbers? What program did you apply to? Yes, draft an LOCI and transmit via email (as a scanned signed attachment of the letter) and regular mail. Visit the school, network, and stay in touch. I'd also call the school to get a sense of their waitlist policies - i.e. how big is the waitlist, do they rank people, can they share your rank, when do they review the waitlist, etc.
158/3.3 - Degree 3.55

applied to Full time only. ill visit in the summer. The waitlist is not ranked (still don't understand how a non-ranked waiting list works). from what i read online, American's WL is huge. In their website, they say it is reviewed between april till start of school. if rejected, won't know till September.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Applied PT but I accepted spots on both the PT and FT wait-lists. Hoping to better my chances so I called today and arranged a visit for early March. They must have a huge wait-list considering the fact that they have wait-list only information sessions every friday at 3 throughout the spring.

emaye

New

Post by emaye » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:10 pm

RunwayRed wrote:
emaye wrote:

Congrats! With your numbers, they are being a fool not to admit you in the first place when you expressed your interest in AU. I am from umich too and thinking about attending to AU if they give me some $$. It would be nice to see alumni there :)
Definitely! I'll need someone to watch the football games with! Don't know about you, but it'll be hard to leave A2 and the school spirit. Spoiled by umich. Keep us updated on what happens!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”