Case Western 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
abelincolnfan

Re: Case Western 2015

Postby abelincolnfan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:44 am

I'm going to the ASW.

Question for current Case students (if any are reading this): It is true that first year law students are banned from working at all during the school year?

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:03 am

abelincolnfan wrote:I'm going to the ASW.

Question for current Case students (if any are reading this): It is true that first year law students are banned from working at all during the school year?

I'm not a current Case law student but I can still answer that: yes. I'm sure a seasonal position over winter break while you're home or something would be acceptable, but beyond that Case prohibits students from working during the school year. Lots of schools do that, mostly for your own good.

caller10

Postby caller10 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:20 am

puremorning wrote:Just sent my email to the dean asking for more $$. Seems like everyone is doing the same thing and not getting anymore, but who knows. I'll let you know how my request turns out!

I did the same thing. The response I got was they didn't know if the scholarship committee would be meeting again, but they would take the request to the scholarship committee if they do meet again. Sadly, they did not give a timeline for when to expect some sort of response

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:21 am

abelincolnfan wrote:I'm going to the ASW. Question for current Case students (if any are reading this): It is true that first year law students are banned from working at all during the school year?

I believe it's ABA-mandated. You won't want to work during 1L anyways- it's the most important academic year of your life.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:23 am

goldenflash19 wrote:
abelincolnfan wrote:I'm going to the ASW. Question for current Case students (if any are reading this): It is true that first year law students are banned from working at all during the school year?

I believe it's ABA-mandated. You won't want to work during 1L anyways- it's the most important academic year of your life.

Yeah, ABA allows you to work 20 hours/week, but you would seriously go crazy doing that. I'm doing a research project now on law school stress (bad idea) and my literature review is seriously freaking me out. It's like, law students and lawyers have ridiculously high rates of depression and suicidality and alcoholism and cocaine abuse! Woo!

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:25 am

goldenflash19 wrote:

An ABA rule states: "A student may not work in excess of 20 hours per week while attending school on a full time basis."
During the summer term, a law school student employee may work up to 40 hours a week. The first day of the summer term is the Monday after Commencement. The last day of the summer term is the Sunday before Labor Day.

abelincolnfan

Postby abelincolnfan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks for all the responses! I'm just trying to figure out how much money in loans I'll have to take out on top of my scholarship and without being able to work.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:55 pm

abelincolnfan wrote:Thanks for all the responses! I'm just trying to figure out how much money in loans I'll have to take out on top of my scholarship and without being able to work.

Good luck. I know in the last few pages we'd been discussing COL in Cleveland, so check it out.

twirlygirl

Postby twirlygirl » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Does anyone know where I can find Case's employment data? Most schools lay out a chart with the numbers for where their grad's are employed, how much they make, where they live etc. but I can't seem to find that for Case. It is actually making me kind of suspicious that I can't find it...

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:31 pm

I received an offer via email to be a "Cox Research Fellow". This comes along with a $500 stipend. Does anyone have any other information about this?

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:38 pm

twirlygirl wrote:Does anyone know where I can find Case's employment data? Most schools lay out a chart with the numbers for where their grad's are employed, how much they make, where they live etc. but I can't seem to find that for Case. It is actually making me kind of suspicious that I can't find it...

http://law.case.edu/careerservices/Stud ... Stats.aspx

The only thing they don't have is how many responded, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:41 pm

superbloom wrote:I received an offer via email to be a "Cox Research Fellow". This comes along with a $500 stipend. Does anyone have any other information about this?

Yeah, it means you research for Professor Sharf. I have a friend who did it. She made it seem like it was more work than pay, but, it looks good on resumes.

abelincolnfan

Postby abelincolnfan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 pm

superbloom wrote:I received an offer via email to be a "Cox Research Fellow". This comes along with a $500 stipend. Does anyone have any other information about this?

I received the same email offer today. What do you think about it?

abelincolnfan

Postby abelincolnfan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:02 pm

puremorning wrote:
abelincolnfan wrote:Thanks for all the responses! I'm just trying to figure out how much money in loans I'll have to take out on top of my scholarship and without being able to work.

Good luck. I know in the last few pages we'd been discussing COL in Cleveland, so check it out.

Thanks. I'll take a look at them.

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:18 pm

got in w/ money, probably gonna withdraw, hope someone gets some extra dough

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:55 pm

B/c of a change of plans, I'll be at the ASW this weekend! Very excited about it, and very close to putting down this deposit. I'm thinking this weekend will seal the deal.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:19 pm

You do research for the international law center, which is 99% public international law matters. One or two short to medium writing and research assignments per semester, with more available if you're particularly interested in something. It's basically a one-line resume item and access to actual public int'l law scholars and practitioners. If you're into that, you should do it. It will also help Scharf know who you are, which may help a tiny bit with getting onto the int'l law moot teams. It's not a crippling amount of work. I would compare it to a fairly easy 1 credit class.

puremorning wrote:
twirlygirl wrote:Does anyone know where I can find Case's employment data? Most schools lay out a chart with the numbers for where their grad's are employed, how much they make, where they live etc. but I can't seem to find that for Case. It is actually making me kind of suspicious that I can't find it...

http://law.case.edu/careerservices/Stud ... Stats.aspx

The only thing they don't have is how many responded, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Never rely on a school's on employment page. Case's is particularly useless. Around 52% employed at graduation for class of 2010 if memory serves, improving to 86% employed at 9 months, which is pretty average for where Case is in the rankings. I am not sure why the 'at graduation' number is so comparatively low, because the 9 months number is pretty on par with other T2 schools. What this tells you is that OCI doesn't lead to a ton of jobs, and people end up finding their positions themselves as often as they do through the school.

About half stay in Ohio, and I'd guess the majority of those in Ohio are in Cleveland, with the rest divided between the other Cs, Cinci and Columbus, or smaller cities - you'd have to look into each one or ask the careers people. Half are outside Ohio, with most going to the typical legal markets, New York, Chicago, LA, etc, or back 'home'.

The Good:
    Case had the highest bar passage overall for the Ohio bar last year, and was second for first-time takers.
    Lower class size at schools statewide means less competition for local OCI jobs (for 2014 on).
    Compared to other schools, more graduates actually end up in JD Required/Preferred positions.
    Growing emphasis on business and international career options.
    Lots of externship options.
    If you're URM, there are a number of reserved clerkship positions with good firms.
    Salary is pretty good comparably, reporting number is about 60% if I remember what Law School Transparency says.

The Bad:
    Significant number of people still working on a part-time/unknown basis at 9 months.
    Weak west coast presence in recent years.
    Growth in business/intl means less emphasis on public interest.
    Cleveland economy is still one of the weaker regional economies, although that will change if current trends continue.
    Bad clerkship numbers. Ohio divides its clerkships way too thinly, basically every law school, even the T3/T4 ones (Ohio has 9 law schools, which is about 3-4 more than it needs) place about the same numbers, even OSU doesn't do much better.

The Ugly:
    Local BigLaw doesn't reserve any slots for Case (AFAIK?). If you manage to get into the top 20%, you really have to wow them in the interview.
    Most medium-big firms won't interview outside top 20-25% unless you've got something really unusual to offer or are URM. Small firms will, but they're small - they'll only hire one person, and maybe not from Case.
    Law Review has unemployed people. One of the best students last year was nearly among the unemployed at 9 mos.
    Law Review is small. The Moot Court teams are small. Getting one or both is not guaranteed, even if you're smart and work really hard. There are, however, eleven billion secondary journals.
    I have yet to know anyone who actually went into public international law, the school's best 'specialty'.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:43 pm

abelincolnfan wrote:

I received the same email offer today. What do you think about it?

Sounds cool. Professor Scharf makes it seem like this can help us, but only $500? At first I thought this was a response to my email requesting more scholarship money, so I wasn't too pleased. Case was my top choice once upon a time, when I thought it would easily get me a job at the UN in one of those "international law" jobs. I'd go if the COL were lower than Rutgers-Newark, but it seems like that's going to be unlikely.

abelincolnfan

Postby abelincolnfan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:28 am

puremorning wrote:B/c of a change of plans, I'll be at the ASW this weekend! Very excited about it, and very close to putting down this deposit. I'm thinking this weekend will seal the deal.

I'm thinking the same thing. Are you going to go the first choice option or the 1st half in April and 2nd in June option? I"m personally hoping this weekend will make me want to do the first choice option.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:15 pm

abelincolnfan wrote:
puremorning wrote:B/c of a change of plans, I'll be at the ASW this weekend! Very excited about it, and very close to putting down this deposit. I'm thinking this weekend will seal the deal.

I'm thinking the same thing. Are you going to go the first choice option or the 1st half in April and 2nd in June option? I"m personally hoping this weekend will make me want to do the first choice option.

Haven't decided yet, but I'm hoping for the same results as you!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:25 am

Just a reminder for those of you coming to ASW. Guys pack a suit and girls pack a cocktail dress and heels for Friday night's SPILF Gala. I promise it will be a ton of fun. There is UNLIMITED wine/beer, heavy hour' dourves, and lots of really cool things up for action. Plus, it'll be a great opportunity for you to meet current students, faculty and community members and get to know each other. Also, it is 100% socially acceptable to get far too drunk - no one will judge you.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:27 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Just a reminder for those of you coming to ASW. Guys pack a suit and girls pack a cocktail dress and heels for Friday night's SPILF Gala. I promise it will be a ton of fun. There is UNLIMITED wine/beer, heavy hour' dourves, and lots of really cool things up for action. Plus, it'll be a great opportunity for you to meet current students, faculty and community members and get to know each other. Also, it is 100% socially acceptable to get far too drunk - no one will judge you.

Hm. I didn't sign up for that...should I have?

abelincolnfan

Postby abelincolnfan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:34 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Just a reminder for those of you coming to ASW. Guys pack a suit and girls pack a cocktail dress and heels for Friday night's SPILF Gala. I promise it will be a ton of fun. There is UNLIMITED wine/beer, heavy hour' dourves, and lots of really cool things up for action. Plus, it'll be a great opportunity for you to meet current students, faculty and community members and get to know each other. Also, it is 100% socially acceptable to get far too drunk - no one will judge you.

I don't remember seeing this on the list of events for the weekend...

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:57 am

puremorning wrote:

From what I heard it was going to be put on your itinerary. I can check and see what happened to that. Either way, you guys are allowed to come. You'll probably have to buy tickets (since it's a fundraiser). Its $15 pre-sale (they'll be on pre-sale Thursday in what's called the upper rotunda, and I can see if there is some way to get you guys the pre-sale price Friday as well). Tickets will be $20 at door. At either price it's still a good deal for all the alcohol you can get.

edit: What day does ASW start?

caller10

Postby caller10 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:49 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
puremorning wrote:

From what I heard it was going to be put on your itinerary. I can check and see what happened to that. Either way, you guys are allowed to come. You'll probably have to buy tickets (since it's a fundraiser). Its $15 pre-sale (they'll be on pre-sale Thursday in what's called the upper rotunda, and I can see if there is some way to get you guys the pre-sale price Friday as well). Tickets will be $20 at door. At either price it's still a good deal for all the alcohol you can get.

edit: What day does ASW start?

Friday morning at 10 am

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”