Case Western 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tooswolle

Re: Case Western 2015

Postby tooswolle » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:33 pm

Anyone who hasn't heard back feeling like emailing admissions and inquiring ? It's mid February they should have had an answer to most of us.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:47 pm

tooswolle wrote:Anyone who hasn't heard back feeling like emailing admissions and inquiring ? It's mid February they should have had an answer to most of us.

I emailed admissions after the deadline passed for me to hear from an alum. I submitted my application before Thanksgiving. The person apologized for the interview process taking so long and said my application would go to final review. I have been in stage 2 of 2 since 1/17. They took forever to respond to my emails. They have to offer me a lot of money for me to say yes after all of this.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:50 pm

89vision wrote:
tooswolle wrote:Anyone who hasn't heard back feeling like emailing admissions and inquiring ? It's mid February they should have had an answer to most of us.

I emailed admissions after the deadline passed for me to hear from an alum. I submitted my application before Thanksgiving. The person apologized for the interview process taking so long and said my application would go to final review. I have been in stage 2 of 2 since 1/17. They took forever to respond to my emails. They have to offer me a lot of money for me to say yes after all of this.

Thanks for the update, I'm in the same boat. I'm debating between rank and money. Enough will pull me from my higher ranked acceptances. But it has to be enough to warrant it, and frankly this unorganization is off putting to say it politely.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 pm

tooswolle wrote:
89vision wrote:

Thanks for the update, I'm in the same boat. I'm debating between rank and money. Enough will pull me from my higher ranked acceptances. But it has to be enough to warrant it, and frankly this unorganization is off putting to say it politely.

I already got in at my top choice with a scholarship, so luckily I'm not stressing over the lack of movement. I have heard back from schools I applied to weeks after Case that are ranked similarly. If I get in, I am definitely expressing my discontent with the process.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:00 am

89vision wrote:
tooswolle wrote:
89vision wrote:

I already got in at my top choice with a scholarship, so luckily I'm not stressing over the lack of movement. I have heard back from schools I applied to weeks after Case that are ranked similarly. If I get in, I am definitely expressing my discontent with the process.

Sounds awesome man. I didn't get my top pick but was wait listed by it but got a nice consolation price this cycle.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:38 am

Thanks for the update, I'm in the same boat. I'm debating between rank and money. Enough will pull me from my higher ranked acceptances. But it has to be enough to warrant it, and frankly this unorganization is off putting to say it politely.[/quote]

I already got in at my top choice with a scholarship, so luckily I'm not stressing over the lack of movement. I have heard back from schools I applied to weeks after Case that are ranked similarly. If I get in, I am definitely expressing my discontent with the process.[/quote]

Sounds awesome man. I didn't get my top pick but was wait listed by it but got a nice consolation price this cycle.[/quote]

Yeah I'm excited. So far I've gotten money everywhere I got in. The only schools I got rejected from were my safeties, which was weird. I was happy with the outcomes. I screwed around a lot in undergrad, but it worked out.

I toured Penn when I was looking at undergrads and absolutely hated the people, and ever since I never wanted to go to a school with so many stuck up pricks. My thing with law school is I want to get in to public interest and help people, so why would I take on a ton of debt? I would rather donate 100K in tuition to a charity than to a law school. I am very debt averse though.

I love a lot about Case, and it's a shame they're admissions process is awful.

It looks like we applied to a lot of the same schools.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:49 am

Yea my cycles been good. Wish I would have applied wider and added more top programs.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:09 am

tooswolle wrote:Yea my cycles been good. Wish I would have applied wider and added more top programs.

Same, but I am pretty set on where I want to live long term. I just don't find law school worth the money most schools are asking. I chose my undergrad because they offered me the best FA package for the rank, and what I came away with is you can teach yourself most of the material. Education is way overpriced. Yeah, it would have been great if I got in to a top program, but I would still choose to go to the school I got in to. I love the city, and I love my friends here. I won't incur much debt because the school has a solid LRAP program. One of my friends is at a T14 and is taking on 200K in debt...to work in the public sector. No thanks, not for me. That 200K is a down payment on a house, a new car, and no educational debt. I also think it's important to go to school with people you like.

minkopolis

Postby minkopolis » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:46 am

89vision wrote:
tooswolle wrote:
89vision wrote:

I got also got into my top choice...don't know about the scholarship part yet, though. Case is definitely one of the more frustrating processes. I had my alum interview three weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. I am right there with you about giving them feedback.

{edit}: these informational emails that start with "thank you for your application" and end with something like "we hope you join us soon" or whatever are actually starting to make me mad.

checkster

Postby checkster » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:52 am

If I get another e-mail like that before I get a decision, I am going to hit the stop sending me e-mails button...

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Neurosis anybody?

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Admissions is an annoying process (and if they're still sending you informational emails without a decision, that's very stupid), but just FYI, I wasn't accepted until 2/24 when I applied. There was definitely a full wave of admits before they got around to me. And I received acceptances elsewhere after that. So unless the cycle has sped up markedly in the past two years, this is 'normal' for CWRU. There is a new Dean of Admissions and that person started midway through the year.

That said, I was not in a hurry to make a decision, and I also applied later than most people did, and they sent me the scholarship info at the same time as the acceptance, one email right after another. And it was more money than I expected, and that actually changed my mind.

And there have been major snafus in the past, so, don't hold back on the criticism. If they're going to market more aggressively, they should expect more demanding students, and I would expect the new person in admissions to be responsive.

checkster

Postby checkster » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:Admissions is an annoying process (and if they're still sending you informational emails without a decision, that's very stupid), but just FYI, I wasn't accepted until 2/24 when I applied. There was definitely a full wave of admits before they got around to me. And I received acceptances elsewhere after that. So unless the cycle has sped up markedly in the past two years, this is 'normal' for CWRU. There is a new Dean of Admissions and that person started midway through the year.

That said, I was not in a hurry to make a decision, and I also applied later than most people did, and they sent me the scholarship info at the same time as the acceptance, one email right after another. And it was more money than I expected, and that actually changed my mind.

And there have been major snafus in the past, so, don't hold back on the criticism. If they're going to market more aggressively, they should expect more demanding students, and I would expect the new person in admissions to be responsive.

+1

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:Admissions is an annoying process (and if they're still sending you informational emails without a decision, that's very stupid), but just FYI, I wasn't accepted until 2/24 when I applied. There was definitely a full wave of admits before they got around to me. And I received acceptances elsewhere after that. So unless the cycle has sped up markedly in the past two years, this is 'normal' for CWRU. There is a new Dean of Admissions and that person started midway through the year.

+ Over nine-thousand!

mse12

Postby mse12 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Anybody have any insight into when the admitted students will get Financial Aid packages?

I'm mainly just glad I got a decision after reading of some other folks' misfortunes and headaches with admissions...

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:29 am

I was at review stage 2/2 on Jan 4th. I had my interview on Jan 19th. I was told it would be a week to a week and half from then. I gave them 2 weeks. I didn't hear anything. I emailed them and called and left a voicemail. Nothing.

legalsinger

Postby legalsinger » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm a little surprised with this whole process, and if I receive another e-mail about how great their school and program is and how they hope I'll attend before I get a decision I think I'll go bonkers! It definitely seems unusual.

NYC KID

Postby NYC KID » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:03 pm

In review since 1/17. Tick tock.

Incubateus

Postby Incubateus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Got a call from Dean Lawrence Mitchell just moments ago. Nicest guy ever. I was accepted (163/3.44). He told me scholarship info would be out in a few weeks. I submitted around 12/12 and had my interview about a month ago. I had almost written Case off, but the Mitchell was so nice I'm rethinking my decision.

oxeatheman

Postby oxeatheman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:03 pm

Incubateus wrote:Got a call from Dean Lawrence Mitchell just moments ago. Nicest guy ever. I was accepted (163/3.44). He told me scholarship info would be out in a few weeks. I submitted around 12/12 and had my interview about a month ago. I had almost written Case off, but the Mitchell was so nice I'm rethinking my decision.

ditto, in via call just a few minutes ago.

163/3.3

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Congrats! If I don't hear back by Friday I'm going to withdraw seriously unprofessional when I submitted in November.

amandacr

Postby amandacr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:41 pm

I applied 12/19, had an interview 2/8, found out yesterday I was accepted. A Dean called me to notify me, but also said that scholarship information will take a while because they're really backed up. Definitely going to wait to hear about that!

tonymontana45

Postby tonymontana45 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:59 pm

amandacr wrote:I applied 12/19, had an interview 2/8, found out yesterday I was accepted. A Dean called me to notify me, but also said that scholarship information will take a while because they're really backed up. Definitely going to wait to hear about that!

If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats?

amandacr

Postby amandacr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:54 pm

tonymontana45 wrote:
amandacr wrote:I applied 12/19, had an interview 2/8, found out yesterday I was accepted. A Dean called me to notify me, but also said that scholarship information will take a while because they're really backed up. Definitely going to wait to hear about that!

If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats?

3.9/164

tonymontana45

Postby tonymontana45 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Applied Jan 6th
Interview Feb. 12th
Moved to stage 2 today!

Hopefully I hear back soon. The people that have heard back, how long did it take from there?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”