Case Western 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ohiobumpkin

Re: Case Western 2015

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:29 pm

tonymontana45 wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:
tonymontana45 wrote:Has anyone that applied in January gotten an interview that asked for one? I got an email that I would receive a phone call in the next two weeks but that deadline is almost up!

Perhaps you should call admissions to inquire about setting up a date for the interview. I applied in early January, had my interview in late January, and got accepted by early February.

Thanks for the advice, I called. They are calling me tomorrow to set up an interview. How was your interview?

It was fine. I get the impression a lot depends on the the interviewer chosen on how the interview is structured. Mine was more structured than I anticipated, but it was really informative and it gave me another chance to pose for the admissions department. Don't stress out about it. Just dress nice, be calm and honest, and everything should be fine. Best wishes with your interview!

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Just wrote an email to the dean thanking him for the phone call and letting him know how excited I am about the opportunity. I told him that unfortunately a lot of my decision will come down to scholarship money, so I look forward to hearing about it. He sent me an email back saying that he hopes that they are able to do what they need in order to entice me :-) I like feeling wanted by law schools!

checkster

Postby checkster » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Have my interview tonight, should be cool.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:14 pm

puremorning wrote:Just wrote an email to the dean thanking him for the phone call and letting him know how excited I am about the opportunity. I told him that unfortunately a lot of my decision will come down to scholarship money, so I look forward to hearing about it. He sent me an email back saying that he hopes that they are able to do what they need in order to entice me :-) I like feeling wanted by law schools!

I'm hoping to hear back within a week regarding scholarship money. Hopefully it is pretty generous. Either way, there is somewhere between a 80%-90% chance I'll be attending Case. Best of luck to everybody with their interviews, acceptances, and scholarship consideration.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:
puremorning wrote:Just wrote an email to the dean thanking him for the phone call and letting him know how excited I am about the opportunity. I told him that unfortunately a lot of my decision will come down to scholarship money, so I look forward to hearing about it. He sent me an email back saying that he hopes that they are able to do what they need in order to entice me :-) I like feeling wanted by law schools!

I'm hoping to hear back within a week regarding scholarship money. Hopefully it is pretty generous. Either way, there is somewhere between a 80%-90% chance I'll be attending Case. Best of luck to everybody with their interviews, acceptances, and scholarship consideration.

When are they supposed to get back with scholarship offers? Has anyone gotten any yet this cycle? I haven't seen any on LSN.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:54 pm

Ended up declining the interview because I still haven't heard from them. I went complete the first week of December. Case dropped the ball a couple of times, which is probably a bad sign. It's a shame it was such an awful process.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:22 pm

puremorning wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:

When are they supposed to get back with scholarship offers? Has anyone gotten any yet this cycle? I haven't seen any on LSN.

When I got the admission call I believe the dean said by next week or so. Financial aid has not called as of yet, so I'm guessing it will be either tomorrow or sometime next week.

TXG

Postby TXG » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:24 am

My phone interview went well I think (not necessarily that it has anything to do with admissions decisions).

Now just waiting to hear back...

and waiting...

and waiting...

tonymontana45

Postby tonymontana45 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:29 am

Got my email about interview. Phone interview Sunday. Hopefully I hear back soon after!

JK910

Postby JK910 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 am

89vision wrote:Ended up declining the interview because I still haven't heard from them. I went complete the first week of December. Case dropped the ball a couple of times, which is probably a bad sign. It's a shame it was such an awful process.

Exactly the same situation here. There is clearly a big systematic failure in the Admissions Office with implementing things this term. Hopefully they fix things for future applicants. For me to attend Case, they will have to offer me more scholarship money than anywhere else; not likely to happen.

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:26 am

TXG wrote:My phone interview went well I think (not necessarily that it has anything to do with admissions decisions).

Now just waiting to hear back...

and waiting...

and waiting...

Stage 2/2 as of 1/4/12. Had phone interview on 1/19/12. Interviewer said I would hear something in a week and a half. So, I am still waiting.............

LFC YNWA

Postby LFC YNWA » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:35 am

So I apologize for asking this if someone else already did, but, when exactly do we find out about any merit scholarships? If you don't know by now, does that mean you're not getting one? Thanks!

sumtimesuwonder

Postby sumtimesuwonder » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:47 am

In this morning by phone! and he told me the merit stuff will be out in 2-3 weeks.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:48 am

JK910 wrote:
89vision wrote:Ended up declining the interview because I still haven't heard from them. I went complete the first week of December. Case dropped the ball a couple of times, which is probably a bad sign. It's a shame it was such an awful process.

Exactly the same situation here. There is clearly a big systematic failure in the Admissions Office with implementing things this term. Hopefully they fix things for future applicants. For me to attend Case, they will have to offer me more scholarship money than anywhere else; not likely to happen.

I loved the Prof's at both the law school and undergrad. Dean Mitchell seems like a nice guy, from the little I've interacted with him. Which is why admissions is doing such a disservice to the school. Case is in a great location, the school has over $1billion in its endowment, Babs started a $1billion fundraising push, and a member of the med school faculty led a research group that found a skin cancer treatment drug reversed the damage of Alzheimer's in rats. http://thedaily.case.edu/news/?p=5430The school is very proud of the discovery, and is a great research institution. Had I not enjoyed going there, I would have withdrawn my application when the alumni interviewer didn't respond. I actually emailed Case at the end of October stating I would be in the area until December, asking if it would be easier to have the interview conducted in Cleveland. By the time I heard back, it was too late to schedule anything. No other school has taken so long to respond, and it's a huge turnoff.

LFC YNWA

Postby LFC YNWA » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:51 am

89vision wrote:
JK910 wrote:

I loved the Prof's at both the law school and undergrad. Dean Mitchell seems like a nice guy, from the little I've interacted with him. Which is why admissions is doing such a disservice to the school. Case is in a great location, the school has over $1billion in its endowment, Babs started a $1billion fundraising push, and a member of the med school faculty led a research group that found a skin cancer treatment drug reversed the damage of Alzheimer's in rats. http://thedaily.case.edu/news/?p=5430The school is very proud of the discovery, and is a great research institution. Had I not enjoyed going there, I would have withdrawn my application when the alumni interviewer didn't respond. I actually emailed Case at the end of October stating I would be in the area until December, asking if it would be easier to have the interview conducted in Cleveland. By the time I heard back, it was too late to schedule anything. No other school has taken so long to respond, and it's a huge turnoff.

Despite these pitfalls, Case's admissions office is like 1,000,000 times better than Villanova and St. John's, both of which are complete ghost towns atm.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:55 am

sumtimesuwonder wrote:In this morning by phone! and he told me the merit stuff will be out in 2-3 weeks.

Congratulations!

checkster

Postby checkster » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Had my interview last night via phone. Really cool that they do this. Hopefully I head about a decision sometime... : /

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:30 pm

LFC YNWA wrote:
89vision wrote:
JK910 wrote:

Despite these pitfalls, Case's admissions office is like 1,000,000 times better than Villanova and St. John's, both of which are complete ghost towns atm.

That's funny about St. John's admissions...they seem to have plenty of time to bombard my email with unwanted crap! And I've expressed zero interest to them about applying there.

And about Case's, I had sent them an email letting them know that I really enjoyed the interview, even though the coordination wasn't always the greatest. I didn't hear back from them at all and then a week later when the dean called to admit me he said that they'd forwarded him the email. I was like, oh good, some recognition, they actually got it!

89vision

Postby 89vision » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:45 pm

LFC YNWA wrote:
89vision wrote:
JK910 wrote:

The undergrad side is working hard to improve its reputation, and from what I hear, the law school is trying to do the same. I think Case has a lot to offer, but the way admissions and the administration handle things, I'm sure they turn a lot of prospective students away. If Case wants to keep improving, they need to improve the admissions process. Like I said, I love a lot of things about Case, and it is a very well funded, well regarded school. I am bummed that they were the worst school to deal with. Schools I have applied after Case (PSU, for one) already sent an acceptance and scholarship offer. I'm frustrated that if I had declined the interview to begin with, I would have likely received a decision.

Congrats for those who got in. Hopefully people start hearing back soon.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 pm

Agreed. Due to this application process CWRU will need to offer me a substantial sum of money in order for me to attend. It has been quite a failure.

There are a lot of personal reasons why CWRU is not right for me (cost, location, employment, etc.) but if I remove those biases the application process has been poor enough to keep me from going altogether.

It is really a shame because CWRU as a whole is a decent institution.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:05 pm

cdelgado wrote:

Agreed. Due to this application process CWRU will need to offer me a substantial sum of money in order for me to attend. It has been quite a failure.

There are a lot of personal reasons why CWRU is not right for me (cost, location, employment, etc.) but if I remove those biases the application process has been poor enough to keep me from going altogether.

I hope you hear some good news on the scholarship front.

Undergrad was fairly generous. I received need based and merit based aid when I attended. Case has a huge endowment based on the number of students, so hopefully the increased donations they are receiving will translate to a greater number of scholarships for everyone. Weatherhead died a few months ago, and left a very large sum of money. Case is building a new student center as well.

Personal bias is the only reason I haven't pulled my application. My application is going to final review, so I'm hoping to hear back next week. Hopefully everyone that is feeling the same level of frustration gives Case feedback on the process so next years applicants aren't as stressed out.

tolson1

Postby tolson1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:44 pm

Admitted into Case today. Very excited - loved seeing that cleveland area code pop up on my phone.
Last edited by tolson1 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:18 pm

89vision wrote:
cdelgado wrote:

Undergrad was fairly generous. I received need based and merit based aid when I attended. Case has a huge endowment based on the number of students, so hopefully the increased donations they are receiving will translate to a greater number of scholarships for everyone. Weatherhead died a few months ago, and left a very large sum of money. Case is building a new student center as well.

Personal bias is the only reason I haven't pulled my application. My application is going to final review, so I'm hoping to hear back next week. Hopefully everyone that is feeling the same level of frustration gives Case feedback on the process so next years applicants aren't as stressed out.

I went Case UG too. Of the 15 other UG's I knew who applied, only one was rejected, so, I think your chances are pretty good.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:14 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
89vision wrote:
cdelgado wrote:

I went Case UG too. Of the 15 other UG's I knew who applied, only one was rejected, so, I think your chances are pretty good.

My adviser said I would get in, and I got in to peer schools with money already, so I'm not too stressed. I'm at or above the medians as well. The only thing I'm stressed about is that opting for the interview made this take 2-4 weeks longer, and I may not receive as large a scholarship. A big reason I applied is because multiple people told me they give nice offers to those who did their undergrad at Case.

NYC KID

Postby NYC KID » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:42 pm

Been in review for almost a month after applying in early October. I just want a decision already.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”