Case Western 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
neeko

Re: Case Western 2015

Postby neeko » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:34 pm

tooswolle wrote:Statis checker date changed date still at 2/2. Anyone else see anything?

Mine hasn't changed in a month. Are you on step 2?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:51 pm

CPM723 wrote:
Could you describe the facilities a little more? Other than being small, is there anything that makes them less appealing than another school? What are the classrooms and library like?

The law school building needs to be updated IMO. The majority of classrooms are 70's style brick and pretty dark. I have two classrooms this semester which don't have a single window. But, the common areas are decent, if not limited. Blackacre is where everyone eats lunch. It's really all you'd expect from a room with tables, and there are giant floor to ceiling windows. The bridge is also a nice place to go - there are big comfy chairs and usually a lot of sunlight. Finally, the library is actually pretty nice. Especially if you find a nice nook to call your own. I think it was renovated within the past few years. It's also a bit dark though. I didn't like the law school building and I thought that would really bother me, but, over time you kind of forget about it. My main qualm is just that it's too small. A lot of student organizations complain about lack of space, and I get annoyed when I go to each lunch and every table is full.
CPM723 wrote:Do you feel like Case Western will allow you to get jobs outside of Cleveland?

Speaking from my own experience, you absolutely can. But, there is a big but here. A lot of people will tell you if your class rank is top 10% then you can. That helps a lot if you want a big law job in a big city, but, it's not the only thing. At least half of law review is still unemployed, and the ones who are employed got jobs are at firms in Ohio. However, I got an internship in DC this summer, and I know other people who are going to NYC, Boston, Cali, ect. To leave Ohio it's about really working hard on your applications, searching everywhere for listings, not giving up when you get rejection after rejection and making connections with people. A lot of it is also about work experience. I knew that I wanted to work in DC and do policy, so, I made sure that my resume had valuable work experience that showed what I wanted to do (internship in the Senate, currently working at a Constitutional law firm, wrote my note on creating policy, ect.) I know another girl who is actually doing entertainment law, not because she's in the top 10%, but because she's had a bunch of internships at labels, ect. It really helps to have your resume paint a clear picture of what you want to be doing, and if you ask me, that's key to leaving Ohio.

Anyway, I too will be more than happy to answer everyone's questions. I'm a 2L and I also did my undergrad at Case. Also, sorry if everything I wrote sounds kind of discombobulated. I'm also working on writing a contract. Something you all can look forward to if you come to Case.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:54 pm

I've already had my interview, but I'm still at stage 1 of 2. Losing interest quickly.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:56 pm

neeko wrote:
tooswolle wrote:Statis checker date changed date still at 2/2. Anyone else see anything?

Mine hasn't changed in a month. Are you on step 2?

Yea ive been step 2/2 I worded that awkwardly sorry. I meant to say the date changed from stage 2: 12/13 to 2/2.

To those accepted did the date change happen before you were accepted?

sumtimesuwonder

Postby sumtimesuwonder » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:07 am

Ive been at 2/2 for a few weeks and I had my interview last wednesday. Hoping to hear soon so I can go visit.

weatherswaysme

Postby weatherswaysme » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:14 pm

just finished my interview, only took about 15 mins. time to give me a decision case!

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:32 pm

People keep talking about these interviews... I didn't do one but still got in at Case. I suspect that maybe the interview can help with scholly $$$? If so, should I see about having one anyway?

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:41 pm

iceicebaby wrote:People keep talking about these interviews... I didn't do one but still got in at Case. I suspect that maybe the interview can help with scholly $$$? If so, should I see about having one anyway?

Wouldn't be a bad idea, and it's a great way to get firsthand info about the school. I got a lot out of mine, still waiting on a decision, but I have a feeling it'll help.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:39 pm

I now think I understand the order of operations with regards to acceptance process. First, call by dean; second, admission e-mail; and third, online status change. Hope this helps.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:32 pm

I'm pretty surprised at how bad they are lagging it....just want to know where I stand in general.

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:56 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:
stephinmd wrote:I've been at 2/2 since the 17th.

I've been at 2/2 since the 4th and had my interview on the phone on the 19th. Just let me know one way or the other! :)

I was told at the end of my interview that I would have a decision one way or the other in a week. Well, now it is two and a half weeks later and nothing. :?

weatherswaysme

Postby weatherswaysme » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:02 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:

I've been at 2/2 since the 4th and had my interview on the phone on the 19th. Just let me know one way or the other! :)

I was told at the end of my interview that I would have a decision one way or the other in a week. Well, now it is two and a half weeks later and nothing. :?

I agree, this is becoming ridiculous. I sent my app in back in September

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:

Yeah, it's been a little over a week since mine. Although my interviewer didn't give me a timeline at all. And all he had when we came into the interview was my name and email. I also wrote Case a really nice email afterwards letting them know how great my interview was and that I look forward to hearing from them. Nothing, not even a thanks for the feedback response. This year's admissions crew seems to be a bit sloppy.

checkster

Postby checkster » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Went 1/2 today, and just this afternoon got an e-mail about an interview.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:58 am

They're clearly doing things differently this year. When I applied, I applied in early January and was admitted in early February, along with pretty much everyone else. Now, it's still early Feb, but there are many 'accepted' on Lawschoolnumbers, and many of you here that are still in the pipe. The Dean of Admissions either quit or was replaced after the new Law School Dean started this year. The phonecalls from the Dean are new. The one on one interviews are new as well (I think?). Perhaps the 'flighting' of admissions is something new as well, or maybe they are just playing catch-up. They're always having meetings when I pass by the admissions office. Are you all receiving admissions packets? Are they ridiculously shiny? I feel like Case's marketing budget got a huge infusion of cash.

Anyway, I suggest you all wait and see - it's not like you need to accept an offer anytime soon. I don't think I accepted until the very end of March, and many schools don't require an answer until April 15 (unless that too has changed). CWRU can surprise you with the scholarship, they certainly exceeded my expectations.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:They're clearly doing things differently this year. When I applied, I applied in early January and was admitted in early February, along with pretty much everyone else. Now, it's still early Feb, but there are many 'accepted' on Lawschoolnumbers, and many of you here that are still in the pipe. The Dean of Admissions either quit or was replaced after the new Law School Dean started this year. The phonecalls from the Dean are new. The one on one interviews are new as well (I think?). Perhaps the 'flighting' of admissions is something new as well, or maybe they are just playing catch-up. They're always having meetings when I pass by the admissions office. Are you all receiving admissions packets? Are they ridiculously shiny? I feel like Case's marketing budget got a huge infusion of cash.

Anyway, I suggest you all wait and see - it's not like you need to accept an offer anytime soon. I don't think I accepted until the very end of March, and many schools don't require an answer until April 15 (unless that too has changed). CWRU can surprise you with the scholarship, they certainly exceeded my expectations.

Last edited by Ohiobumpkin on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:From what I understand of Case's inner workings, they had a huge development crisis after the recession started (as did most universities), and donations shrank to a very low level. They hired new development staff roughly two years ago and have been able to raise a lot of money. Case is trying really hard to use the new cash to bring competitive applicants to Case, and have a goal of raising their USNW rankings by 20 some places within 7-10 years.

Are you referring to CWRU generally, or the law school? I was under the impression that CWRU as a whole is actually in surprisingly good shape financially, and has avoided tapping its surprisingly big endowment to make up for any losses. And the University President, Barbara Snyder, is very well-regarded and has been raising big money. I think most of that will go to continuing to push the undergraduate rankings up, but I know that Snyder gave Mitchell a bunch of money as soon as he was hired, and he used a bunch of of it to change scholarships to 'good standing' only.

Even so, the drop in applications hurt the school's budget, but I haven't noticed any real differences. There's a blog on it: --LinkRemoved-- which kind of glosses over at least one significant change, which is that while he is, in fact, 'building program', sometimes one program takes another program's resources based on his priorities. The victims are mostly products of the last real Dean's (not the interim guy from the past couple years) focus on social justice and public service programs and funding. AFAIK, that money is going to fund things in business, international business, finance (the Dean's area of expertise, I think) and...I don't know what else.

The other takeaway from the blog is that the new target for the class is 180, not 200 as it was last year. That is a good thing, IMO.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:14 pm

In via phone call! Was so excited when I got it. Can't wait to hear about scholarship money, I'll need it to go there :-/ The dean also thanked me for the email I wrote after my alumni interview giving feedback and letting them know how well it went and how helpful it was.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:20 pm

puremorning wrote:In via phone call! Was so excited when I got it. Can't wait to hear about scholarship money, I'll need it to go there :-/ The dean also thanked me for the email I wrote after my alumni interview giving feedback and letting them know how well it went and how helpful it was.

Congrats!

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:26 pm

puremorning wrote:In via phone call! Was so excited when I got it. Can't wait to hear about scholarship money, I'll need it to go there :-/ The dean also thanked me for the email I wrote after my alumni interview giving feedback and letting them know how well it went and how helpful it was.

Congratulations! Hope you fair well in getting a sizable scholarship.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Congrats...I had my interview in early January. Kind of jealous man...guess that it doesn't bode well for me or the school is laggin it big time.

tonymontana45

Postby tonymontana45 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:29 pm

Has anyone that applied in January gotten an interview that asked for one? I got an email that I would receive a phone call in the next two weeks but that deadline is almost up!

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:32 pm

tonymontana45 wrote:Has anyone that applied in January gotten an interview that asked for one? I got an email that I would receive a phone call in the next two weeks but that deadline is almost up!

Perhaps you should call admissions to inquire about setting up a date for the interview. I applied in early January, had my interview in late January, and got accepted by early February.

tonymontana45

Postby tonymontana45 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:26 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:
tonymontana45 wrote:Has anyone that applied in January gotten an interview that asked for one? I got an email that I would receive a phone call in the next two weeks but that deadline is almost up!

Perhaps you should call admissions to inquire about setting up a date for the interview. I applied in early January, had my interview in late January, and got accepted by early February.

Thanks for the advice, I called. They are calling me tomorrow to set up an interview. How was your interview?

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:28 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:

Same here, except I'm still stuck at stage 1.........

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”