Case Western 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Case1L

Re: Case Western 2015

Postby Case1L » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:07 am

@CPM723

I've enjoyed my time at Case. The students and social atmosphere are pretty good. However, I have no basis
for comparison since I haven't studied at other law schools. Most of my classmates are pretty friendly and the
professors can communicate the material clearly. This semester is significantly more difficult than last semester, so
there's less time for social activities. I guess 90% of my 1L class realized that they weren't in the top 10%, and
are studying more this semester.

I like the new dean, Lawrence Mitchell. Case went through rough patches a few years ago and morale was low in the law school community. The old dean didn't care about rankings and admissions standards slipped. We hired and fired a few deans. Mitchell has really brought enthusiasm to the law community. He aims for Case to be a top 40 law school. I'm not sure whether he will succeed, but given that Case was a top 50 school a few years ago, I think his goal is realistic. Given everything Case went through in the past few years, the fact that Case is ranked 61 is evidence in part of Case's strong reputation among peer schools. Now that we have a dean, I'm optimistically confident that we will improve in the rankings.

As for Cleveland, I haven't had much time to explore the city. Cleveland is rebuilding from years of decline. University Circle where Case is located is booming. Although Cleveland has a reputation for being unsafe, University Circle is very safe. There are three police forces patrolling University Circle - Case Security, University Circle Police and Cleveland Police. Forbes recently ranked University Circle as one of the prettiest areas in America. There are lots of restaurants in the area. If you like museums or orchestras, University Circle is perfect. I have to admit that I haven't explored my surroundings much since law school keeps me busy. Cost of living is also very low. There are lots of affordable places to live. A friend of mine pays $250 a month to live with a few roommates. If you haven't visited Case, come visit.

Case's facilities aren't the best. The law school building is arguably one of the ugliest structures in University Circle (subjectively speaking of course - you might find the building to be an architectural masterpiece). The law school building is pretty small compared to Villanova's new and expansive law school building. Despite the law school's less than stellar facilities, I still recommend the school for its excellent professors, clinics and study abroad opportunities.

Cleveland is a top ten legal market in the nation, so while legal jobs have declined across the country, being in a relatively decent legal market is helpful for finding employment. Most Case students move out of Ohio, so local employment opportunities aren't important to them. Case is the top law school in Cleveland, albeit there is only one other law school in Cleveland. Cleveland Marshall has a strong reputation in Cleveland, so Case students compete with C-M students for employment. The top students at Case usually leave the state and move to New York or DC. Regardless of which school you choose, if you aren't in the top 10%, finding employment will be difficult. That being said, I think Case affords strong opportunities for students.

Any more questions?

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:36 am

Case1L wrote:@CPM723

I've enjoyed my time at Case. The students and social atmosphere are pretty good. However, I have no basis
for comparison since I haven't studied at other law schools. Most of my classmates are pretty friendly and the
professors can communicate the material clearly. This semester is significantly more difficult than last semester, so
there's less time for social activities. I guess 90% of my 1L class realized that they weren't in the top 10%, and

I like the new dean, Lawrence Mitchell. Case went through rough patches a few years ago and morale was low in the law school community. The old dean didn't care about rankings and admissions standards slipped. We hired and fired a few deans. Mitchell has really brought enthusiasm to the law community. He aims for Case to be a top 40 law school. I'm not sure whether he will succeed, but given that Case was a top 50 school a few years ago, I think his goal is realistic. Given everything Case went through in the past few years, the fact that Case is ranked 61 is evidence in part of Case's strong reputation among peer schools. Now that we have a dean, I'm optimistically confident that we will improve in the rankings.

As for Cleveland, I haven't had much time to explore the city. Cleveland is rebuilding from years of decline. University Circle where Case is located is booming. Although Cleveland has a reputation for being unsafe, University Circle is very safe. There are three police forces patrolling University Circle - Case Security, University Circle Police and Cleveland Police. Forbes recently ranked University Circle as one of the prettiest areas in America. There are lots of restaurants in the area. If you like museums or orchestras, University Circle is perfect. I have to admit that I haven't explored my surroundings much since law school keeps me busy. Cost of living is also very low. There are lots of affordable places to live. A friend of mine pays $250 a month to live with a few roommates. If you haven't visited Case, come visit.

Case's facilities aren't the best. The law school building is arguably one of the ugliest structures in University Circle (subjectively speaking of course - you might find the building to be an architectural masterpiece). The law school building is pretty small compared to Villanova's new and expansive law school building. Despite the law school's less than stellar facilities, I still recommend the school for its excellent professors, clinics and study abroad opportunities.

Cleveland is a top ten legal market in the nation, so while legal jobs have declined across the country, being in a relatively decent legal market is helpful for finding employment. Most Case students move out of Ohio, so local employment opportunities aren't important to them. Case is the top law school in Cleveland, albeit there is only one other law school in Cleveland. Cleveland Marshall has a strong reputation in Cleveland, so Case students compete with C-M students for employment. The top students at Case usually leave the state and move to New York or DC. Regardless of which school you choose, if you aren't in the top 10%, finding employment will be difficult. That being said, I think Case affords strong opportunities for students.

Any more questions?

Could you describe the facilities a little more? Other than being small, is there anything that makes them less appealing than another school? What are the classrooms and library like?

MOJayhawk

Postby MOJayhawk » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:15 pm

IN this morning via phone call! :)

checkster

Postby checkster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:23 pm

^^ MOJayhawk?

...treason...

Congrats though, that's great!

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:10 pm

I've been at 2/2 since the 17th.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:12 pm

stephinmd wrote:I've been at 2/2 since the 17th.

Yeah, I've been there since the 3rd. I had my alumni interview this weekend though, so I'm really hoping for some movement this week.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Ok. They have to be reading this thread, because I just got an acceptance phone call! :D

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:22 pm

stephinmd wrote:

Ok. They have to be reading this thread, because I just got an acceptance phone call! :D

Jealous!!! But congrats!!

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:27 pm

I've been at 2/2 since the 4th and had my interview on the phone on the 19th. Just let me know one way or the other! :)

Case1L

Postby Case1L » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:50 pm

@CPM723

Case's facilities are decent by any set of objective criteria. I haven't visited any other law schools, so I have no basis for comparison. In comparison to the business school, which is next door from the law school, our facilities aren't as nice. Of course, the purpose of law school is to study the law and not architecture. There are several large lecture rooms, smaller classrooms and one moot court room. The three story library covers about one quarter of the building. Case's building is fine. However, when compared to Marquette's new law school building or Villanova's law school, Case's facilities aren't as impressive.

Still, Case is a great school.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Case's facilities are decent by any set of objective criteria. I haven't visited any other law schools, so I have no basis for comparison. In comparison to the business school, which is next door from the law school, our facilities aren't as nice. Of course, the purpose of law school is to study the law and not architecture. There are several large lecture rooms, smaller classrooms and one moot court room. The three story library covers about one quarter of the building. Case's building is fine. However, when compared to Marquette's new law school building or Villanova's law school, Case's facilities aren't as impressive.

Still, Case is a great school.

Makes sense, as long as it isn't held together by duct tape and has plenty of outlets- i'm good. I really need to get up to visit soon.

Do you feel like Case Western will allow you to get jobs outside of Cleveland?

dstr15

Postby dstr15 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:20 pm

CPM723 wrote:

Any more questions?

Could you describe the facilities a little more? Other than being small, is there anything that makes them less appealing than another school? What are the classrooms and library like?

I'm a 1L and willing to answer anyone's advice either in this thread or through pm's. The facilities are a bit small and somewhat dirty. The major problems is that there are not enough windows (think like only one window in two of the lecture halls and none in the other) and very few in the library. The carpets in the hallways all have stains and stuff on them too.

Last semester we had a problem with food/trash at the library and the student microwaves and refrigerators were not being cleaned. I think they switched custodial companies and everything seems to be a lot less gross this semester (obviously these are petty complaints but when you are spending the majority of your day in this building it is slightly annoying).

I really dig the cleveland area much more than I thought I would and 1L professors have, so far, been really great. My advice is to come up here yourself and decide. I think the school gives out a couple hundred dollars to reimburse your travel expenses, so take advantage of that.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Just got the phone call today by Dean Mitchell. In at Case with scholarship!

caller10

Postby caller10 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:Just got the phone call today by Dean Mitchell. In at Case with scholarship!

Congrats, did they tell you what your scholarship was? I was just told they would send that out in the mail sometime in February

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:37 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:Just got the phone call today by Dean Mitchell. In at Case with scholarship!

Congrats! After my interview I'm getting super antsy to hear from them. Did anything on your status checker change? I want to have a secret sign to look forward to.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:22 pm

caller10 wrote:

Congrats, did they tell you what your scholarship was? I was just told they would send that out in the mail sometime in February

puremorning wrote: Congrats! After my interview I'm getting super antsy to hear from them. Did anything on your status checker change? I want to have a secret sign to look forward to.

Last edited by Ohiobumpkin on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legalsinger

Postby legalsinger » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 am

Stuck at Committee Review - Stage 2 of 2 since 1/4. Hope to hear back soon! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, and good luck to everyone else! Have many people participated in the interview process?

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:55 am

Been stage 2 or 2 for a while with a status date in December! Hopefully I hear back soon!

weatherswaysme

Postby weatherswaysme » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:01 am

tooswolle wrote:Been stage 2 or 2 for a while with a status date in December! Hopefully I hear back soon!

same. have my interview on friday

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:48 am

2L here.

Regarding facilities, I think they're adequate, the library is actually pretty nice IMO, it's the older classrooms that are a bit prison-like. The building does pale in comparison to what it's surrounded by, but given what's in University Circle, it's just not a fair comparison. At least you're looking out at good stuff. :)

Regarding cost, I hope you are all getting scholarships or otherwise don't have to worry about money. The scholarships are no-stip, which is unusual for even a T2 school, and Case tends to be a little more generous than average, but the cost is still high, so make a careful analysis before signing up. I think CWRU is actually pretty good in terms of graduates' debt load, but it's obviously going to be higher than a state school.

And regarding Cleveland - it's what you make of it. It will not reach out and grab you, you have to make an effort to find things you're interested in, but if you try, you will succeed. I think Cleveland's strengths are a good food/drink scene, especially on W. 25th, E. 4th, and in Coventry/Little Italy (which is right by CWRU), the area around the law school itself is a huge employment, cultural, and development hub - to give you an idea, the building next to the law school, the old Cleveland Institute of Art, is going to be empty a year or so from now, and it will be the single most valuable piece of real estate in Ohio at that point because of what surrounds it - the Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, the Cleveland Museums of Art, Natural History, Modern Art, University Hospitals. And beyond that, the east side is a really depressed, crime-ridden area, but this only rarely spills over, and only in the form of stolen phones/wallets, I can't recall anyone ever being actually harmed beyond property.

Overall, I am happy with my education at Case. 90% of my professors have been at least 'good'. Most have been outstanding. Jobs - too soon to tell for my year, but it seems like the school lavishes attention on the top 15% to ensure they are employed and happy. The CSO is accessible and will help you, but they won't 'get you a job' unless you're a star. OCI is pretty limited, but as someone nowhere near the top 15, I got three interviews...and no offers. But I found stuff on my own, which is what the vast majority of students do.

Don't go here for the specialty programs in Int'l Law and Health Law UNLESS(!!) you are 100% dedicated to the field AND flexible in your job outcome. People DO get jobs in those fields from CWRU, particularly Health Law because of how much development there is in Cleveland in terms of biomedical/hospital stuff (plus, CWRU is a huge Biomedical Engineering school), but they are obviously not promised to people just because they end up with a certificate in one or the other. International Law is fine and we have several truly outstanding, wrote-the-book-on-it type of profs for that, but jobs are rare on the public side of things. If you insist on working in public int'l law, there is at least an argument to make that you don't need a JD for many of the jobs that will be available. It would obviously add something, but consider cost/benefit.

Sooo there's an info dump while I drink my coffee...any other Qs, ask away...
Last edited by Ersatz Haderach on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:50 am

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:55 am

Ersatz Haderach wrote:
Regarding cost, I hope you are all getting scholarships or otherwise don't have to worry about money. The scholarships are no-stip, which is unusual for even a T2 school, and Case tends to be a little more generous than average, but the cost is still high, so make a careful analysis before signing up. I think CWRU is actually pretty good in terms of graduates' debt load, but it's obviously going to be higher than a state school.

Agreed. CWRU is decent but no T2 is worth $40+. That's just absurd. I'm still hoping for good news but I can't consider it without some decent money.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:59 am

cdelgado wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote:

Agreed. CWRU is decent but no T2 is worth $40+. That's just absurd. I'm still hoping for good news but I can't consider it without some decent money.

At this point, it's debatable whether many of the T1s are worth sticker. I'll say this: I'm really fucking glad I turned down a 30ish T1 to take the money at Case.

DorothyV

Postby DorothyV » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:
cdelgado wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote:

At this point, it's debatable whether many of the T1s are worth sticker. I'll say this: I'm really fucking glad I turned down a 30ish T1 to take the money at Case.

I did the same thing as you and am very satisfied with my decision. I'm another 1L here who is willing to take questions.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:31 pm

Statis checker date changed date still at 2/2. Anyone else see anything?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”