Case Western 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ersatz Haderach

Re: Case Western 2015

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:32 pm

stephinmd wrote:I'm thinking about applying here. Does anyone know how the housing market is?

For rental or purchase? Rents are pretty average to low unless you want to live downtown or in a very new place. If you split a place in Cleveland Heights, you shouldn't pay more than 500-600, and you could get your own place for around that much (not as nice) as well.

The interesting thing will be to see if the new development near school (two new apartment complexes, some new houses) catches on with students. It would be nice to have some higher-end options near school.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:19 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:
stephinmd wrote:I'm thinking about applying here. Does anyone know how the housing market is?

For rental or purchase? Rents are pretty average to low unless you want to live downtown or in a very new place. If you split a place in Cleveland Heights, you shouldn't pay more than 500-600, and you could get your own place for around that much (not as nice) as well.

The interesting thing will be to see if the new development near school (two new apartment complexes, some new houses) catches on with students. It would be nice to have some higher-end options near school.

I was just wondering. If buying is feasible, would probably buy. But if a three bedroom is $300,000, well then I'd rent :shock:

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:00 am

stephinmd wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote:

I was just wondering. If buying is feasible, would probably buy. But if a three bedroom is $300,000, well then I'd rent :shock:

Assuming you want to be relatively near Case, your options are University Circle (closest, but very few options, almost all rental), Little Italy (near, older houses/apartments, pretty good area, fair amount of options but fills up fast), and Cleveland Heights (vast majority of CWRU students live here, mostly older but decent apartments, mostly rental).

If you want to buy a house and want it under 300k, well, that's easy, but should you really be buying as a 1L, regardless of finances? What if you hate law school? What if you transfer? Just rent something nice and let that idea stew. Housing pricing aren't skyrocketing or anything. But if you really want to, I suggest looking at Tremont, Ohio City, and Detroit-Shoreway on the west side of Cleveland, or, again, Little Italy near Case.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:21 am

Ersatz Haderach wrote:
stephinmd wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote:

Assuming you want to be relatively near Case, your options are University Circle (closest, but very few options, almost all rental), Little Italy (near, older houses/apartments, pretty good area, fair amount of options but fills up fast), and Cleveland Heights (vast majority of CWRU students live here, mostly older but decent apartments, mostly rental).

If you want to buy a house and want it under 300k, well, that's easy, but should you really be buying as a 1L, regardless of finances? What if you hate law school? What if you transfer? Just rent something nice and let that idea stew. Housing pricing aren't skyrocketing or anything. But if you really want to, I suggest looking at Tremont, Ohio City, and Detroit-Shoreway on the west side of Cleveland, or, again, Little Italy near Case.

Ooh, good point on the transfer thing. Renting it would be then. I'm a bit older than a lot of people, I think (I'll be thirty! And I'm already married), so the whole roommate/college dorm situation wouldn't really work out for us, which is why I thought about buying :)

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:40 pm

stephinmd wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote:
stephinmd wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote:

Ooh, good point on the transfer thing. Renting it would be then. I'm a bit older than a lot of people, I think (I'll be thirty! And I'm already married), so the whole roommate/college dorm situation wouldn't really work out for us, which is why I thought about buying :)

I hear you. I'm a bit younger, but not coming straight from undergrad and in a serious relationship. The housing market here is in shambles so cheap houses are pretty easy to come by. You could buy a decent house for 100k close to campus. I'm currently renting but if I end up in the area my bf and I will probably end up buying a place, as I'll most likely be staying in Cleveland afterwards. I grew up in CLE but went to school out east and lived there for a little afterwards. I always knew I wanted to come back here at some point and am now getting my Master's in social work at Case. I've known a bunch of people who go/went to the law school and absolutely loved it. The majority of prosecutors I've worked with in the county went to Case, so that speaks to my personal interests. Overall, Case is great and while Cleveland isn't the most prosperous city, I really do love it.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:43 pm

I've applied. App hasn't gone under review yet b/c I need my final rec to get in, but my status says something about "alumni interview program," so I guess that means something good? Either that or it means I'm on the line and need to use my kickass interview skills to impress them enough to let me in.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:20 pm

puremorning wrote:I've applied. App hasn't gone under review yet b/c I need my final rec to get in, but my status says something about "alumni interview program," so I guess that means something good? Either that or it means I'm on the line and need to use my kickass interview skills to impress them enough to let me in.

Hmm. That might be something new, actually.

I'd imagine there are going to be some major changes in how things work this year, since this is the Dean's first crack at the whole process from start to end. Will be interested to hear about it.

neeko

Postby neeko » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:23 pm

They sent me an email to set up an optional interview with an alumni. I emailed them back with my zip code as requested and never heard from them again. I would like to do the interview but not at the expense of my app not getting reviewed with the first batch.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:
puremorning wrote:I've applied. App hasn't gone under review yet b/c I need my final rec to get in, but my status says something about "alumni interview program," so I guess that means something good? Either that or it means I'm on the line and need to use my kickass interview skills to impress them enough to let me in.

Hmm. That might be something new, actually.

I'd imagine there are going to be some major changes in how things work this year, since this is the Dean's first crack at the whole process from start to end. Will be interested to hear about it.

After rechecking the admissions website they make it seem like everyone gets the interview. So scratch that about it being either good or bad, I guess it's just ordinary now. I feel like I'm applying to college again.

Yellowtree

Postby Yellowtree » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 pm

Did anyone say no to the interview in the app? I didn't really care to do it.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:56 am

Alumni Interview Program 11/07/2011

And I never got anything? I'm from Pittsburgh so if its mailed I probably would got it..

I really don't think I'm doing it either, I should get in based on numbers....

neeko

Postby neeko » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:06 am

ThreeRivers wrote:Alumni Interview Program 11/07/2011

And I never got anything? I'm from Pittsburgh so if its mailed I probably would got it..

That shows on my checker as that date as well but I received the email about a week prior.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:36 pm

Before the new Dean, the interview was done over the phone, and if you declined it, you were yield protected.

Just FYI.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:43 am

ThreeRivers wrote:Alumni Interview Program 11/07/2011

Mine has the date on my status checker but I haven't gotten an email either. My app isn't complete yet due to LSAC not processing the recs that have been mailed in thus far...pretty soon I'm going to call them and see what's up.

charliep

Postby charliep » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:58 am

i wasn't planning on doing an interview, but, after the yield-protection post, i guess i should reconsider

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:57 am

I guess I'll do it as well... although if CW really doesn't want to risk YP with me just offer me a sick scholly that I can't possibly pass up :D / pray that Texas won't accept me (which they probably won't) :(

charliep

Postby charliep » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:52 am

ThreeRivers wrote:I guess I'll do it as well... although if CW really doesn't want to risk YP with me just offer me a sick scholly that I can't possibly pass up :D / pray that Texas won't accept me (which they probably won't) :(

+1

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Finally got the alumni interview email. I'm in the area so why the hell not.

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:03 pm

I got it too, for the second time. I'm going to pass on it I think.

JK910

Postby JK910 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:59 pm

I sent back my response immediately and haven't heard back at all or an acknowledgment. I never got the email a second time.

neeko wrote:I got it too, for the second time. I'm going to pass on it I think.

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:30 pm

I wrote back right away as well and never heard a thing after that. I would have done it then, but I'm not doing it this late in cycle and holding up my app. Im emailing them back tomorrow and opting out.

DorothyV

Postby DorothyV » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Case 1L here: The alumni interview is a program that the new Dean set up. He mentioned it during the 1L Q & A with him earlier this semester. I think he said that the purpose of it was to sell potential students on the school, but I'm not positive. (He mentioned it while talking about trying to attract students with higher numbers and increase the school's ranking).

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:16 am

DorothyV wrote:Case 1L here: The alumni interview is a program that the new Dean set up. He mentioned it during the 1L Q & A with him earlier this semester. I think he said that the purpose of it was to sell potential students on the school, but I'm not positive. (He mentioned it while talking about trying to attract students with higher numbers and increase the school's ranking).

89vision

Postby 89vision » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:19 pm

Sent in my application Wednesday. They give out great scholarships, and love Case undergrads. Cheap COL, great public transit, plenty to do around the school. The law library is nice, a little small, but the staff is great. I signed up for the alumni interview because I am definitely interested in Case.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:14 pm

CPM723 wrote:I'm wondering more the law school than the undergrad.

Same thing. I have friends at the law school. It's not a commuter school.

In terms of rent:

I am paying $300/month to live in Cleveland Heights. I paid $435/month for a 2 bedroom in Little Italy. You can find places from between $300-$600 a month. It's a really low COL. They are building new lofts and apartments on Euclid and Coltman (or some street off of Mayfield) which are probably going to be expensive.

There are a bunch of foreclosure's around Wade Park/behind the football stadium. Somewhat dicey area, but it's really cheap to buy back there. The Heights is pricier. It's really cheap to rent houses in the area. Little Italy is also pretty reasonable.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”