Case Western 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
puremorning

Re: Case Western 2015

Postby puremorning » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:51 pm

OhioRider22 wrote:I had opted to do the interview a few weeks back, and I was just contacted by a Case alum yesterday via email. I'm meeting up with her for coffee next week. I do live in Cleveland, however, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, especially since my numbers are nowhere near impressive. Exciting though, as I would love to be at Case next year. They'd have to give me a substantial amount of money though (otherwise I'd just go to CM).

Have you been to CM? I went to an open house and was far from impressed :-/

Has anyone else heard from an alum? I opted in, twice, but haven't heard anything yet and have already gone under review.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:55 pm

I went under review at 12/07. I've also been contacted by an alum in my area.

neeko

Postby neeko » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:02 pm

puremorning wrote:
OhioRider22 wrote:I had opted to do the interview a few weeks back, and I was just contacted by a Case alum yesterday via email. I'm meeting up with her for coffee next week. I do live in Cleveland, however, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, especially since my numbers are nowhere near impressive. Exciting though, as I would love to be at Case next year. They'd have to give me a substantial amount of money though (otherwise I'd just go to CM).

Has anyone else heard from an alum? I opted in, twice, but haven't heard anything yet and have already gone under review.

What didn't you like about it? I was planning on at least driving by when I'm in Cleveland next weekend.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:03 pm

neeko wrote:
puremorning wrote:

What didn't you like about it? I was planning on at least driving by when I'm in Cleveland next weekend.

It has a good rep in the community, and they have a good job placement record. However, it was mostly the students that represented the university that made me reconsider going there. At the open house the assistant dean made a remark about C&F addendums and how they weren't a big deal at all if you had one, stating that recently they've had tons of frat boys who've lit couches on fire apply. One of the students on the panel who later gave us a tour didn't seem to take much seriously. She was one of those "my parents are both lawyers so I went to law school." When passing the library we were told that this is her least favorite place in the school, insinuating that she hates studying. She also quit moot court this year because she had season tickets for the Michigan games. I'm sorry, but if you're representing the school, at least act like you have academic interests. They also bashed Case for being so academically oriented, when the schools are barely comparable. So that's my rant...and it's not in a super safe or savory part of town either, which I've known, but after that tour it didn't help to have a bunch of homeless people hanging outside the school when I was leaving.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Has anyone toured the school yet?

neeko

Postby neeko » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:24 pm

puremorning wrote:
neeko wrote:
puremorning wrote:

It has a good rep in the community, and they have a good job placement record. However, it was mostly the students that represented the university that made me reconsider going there. At the open house the assistant dean made a remark about C&F addendums and how they weren't a big deal at all if you had one, stating that recently they've had tons of frat boys who've lit couches on fire apply. One of the students on the panel who later gave us a tour didn't seem to take much seriously. She was one of those "my parents are both lawyers so I went to law school." When passing the library we were told that this is her least favorite place in the school, insinuating that she hates studying. She also quit moot court this year because she had season tickets for the Michigan games. I'm sorry, but if you're representing the school, at least act like you have academic interests. They also bashed Case for being so academically oriented, when the schools are barely comparable. So that's my rant...and it's not in a super safe or savory part of town either, which I've known, but after that tour it didn't help to have a bunch of homeless people hanging outside the school when I was leaving.

This is pretty disheartening and strange. Thank you for sharing that. I wonder why they would pick that girl to show prospective students around? If we ever hear back, I need to go visit.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:52 pm

neeko wrote:
puremorning wrote:
neeko wrote:

This is pretty disheartening and strange. Thank you for sharing that. I wonder why they would pick that girl to show prospective students around? If we ever hear back, I need to go visit.

I know! Everyone I know in the community has such a high opinion of the school. You would think they would pick overachievers and pump the school up more than that. If Case takes me and gives me money I'd be much more likely to go there than CM now.

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:14 am

I totally understand what you're saying, puremorning. Yes, I've been there many times, I'm an undergrad at Cleveland State now. I actually study in the law library (which is really nice) quite a bit. Honestly, I think my main reasons for going there would be the reputation the school has in Cleveland, and the price. I'm ok with staying in Cleveland, and CM is really well respected in this town. I also know many alumni, and every single one that I have talked to highly recommends the school. And if I could go there for free or close to it, that's hard to beat. The facilities aren't super impressive, but the library is very nice. But yeah, the quality of the rest of the class is what worries me, as some of them seem like morons. But maybe there's some of those everywhere? And maybe that just means I have a better shot at top %10 of the class? :twisted: That is crazy that they had someone like that show you around! I wouldn't judge the school on that alone though. The school is downtown, which I absolutely love. You just have to have some street smarts, you're in a downtown urban enviroment. I actually live about 5 blocks away (to the east, where it gets worse and worse as you go), and I love it. I have a great loft for a cheap price. Cleveland is a cool city really, it's just that winter sucks. With all that being said, however, if Case gave me enough money to make it realistic to attend, or if I was independently wealthy, I would go to Case in a heartbeat. But if not, which is more likely, I'd be happy to attend CM on a scholarship.

caller10

Postby caller10 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:51 am

CPM723 wrote:Has anyone toured the school yet?

If you are talking about touring Case, I have. I toured in August when they were doing new student orientation. The building was really nice and everyone I met was super friendly. Overall, it had a really good atmosphere.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:05 am

OhioRider22 wrote:I totally understand what you're saying, puremorning. Yes, I've been there many times, I'm an undergrad at Cleveland State now. I actually study in the law library (which is really nice) quite a bit. Honestly, I think my main reasons for going there would be the reputation the school has in Cleveland, and the price. I'm ok with staying in Cleveland, and CM is really well respected in this town. I also know many alumni, and every single one that I have talked to highly recommends the school. And if I could go there for free or close to it, that's hard to beat. The facilities aren't super impressive, but the library is very nice. But yeah, the quality of the rest of the class is what worries me, as some of them seem like morons. But maybe there's some of those everywhere? And maybe that just means I have a better shot at top %10 of the class? :twisted: That is crazy that they had someone like that show you around! I wouldn't judge the school on that alone though. The school is downtown, which I absolutely love. You just have to have some street smarts, you're in a downtown urban enviroment. I actually live about 5 blocks away (to the east, where it gets worse and worse as you go), and I love it. I have a great loft for a cheap price. Cleveland is a cool city really, it's just that winter sucks. With all that being said, however, if Case gave me enough money to make it realistic to attend, or if I was independently wealthy, I would go to Case in a heartbeat. But if not, which is more likely, I'd be happy to attend CM on a scholarship.

Oh yeah, I live there too. Not downtown, but I live in Cleveland and grew up here. That was the whole issue I had with undergrad, I wanted to be with an intelligent body of students who were academically oriented like myself. Looking at CM made me want to visit Cincy, as I have a shot there and it's in state tuition. I know CM is a great school, which is why I find it amusing that the reputation and program are great whereas the students are...not. I think I've applied to enough schools to find and get into the one that works for me though.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:12 am

Is it going to be cold up there this week? I get there on Friday and I need to know if I should invest in gloves etc.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:24 am

caller10 wrote:
CPM723 wrote:Has anyone toured the school yet?

If you are talking about touring Case, I have. I toured in August when they were doing new student orientation. The building was really nice and everyone I met was super friendly. Overall, it had a really good atmosphere.

I haven't gone on an official tour but I go to school across the street (grad student at MSASS) and know tons of people both attending and who've graduated from Case. They're great, friendly people. I've also had the opportunity to meet some professors and attend some CLE events where some Case profs spoke and they were great too. I'm not sure what their scholarships/financial aid are like, which will weigh a lot on my decision if I get in, but overall it's a great school, and it seems like the new dean is making great strides in improving the school as well.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:25 am

neeko wrote:Is it going to be cold up there this week? I get there on Friday and I need to know if I should invest in gloves etc.

It's freezing. Def get gloves. Luckily boots aren't a necessity...yet.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:27 am

neeko wrote:Is it going to be cold up there this week? I get there on Friday and I need to know if I should invest in gloves etc.

You can always take them off if it's too warm.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:14 pm

What is up with this status checker still being blank? I emailed them but never heard back.

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:31 pm

puremorning wrote:
OhioRider22 wrote:I totally understand what you're saying, puremorning. Yes, I've been there many times, I'm an undergrad at Cleveland State now. I actually study in the law library (which is really nice) quite a bit. Honestly, I think my main reasons for going there would be the reputation the school has in Cleveland, and the price. I'm ok with staying in Cleveland, and CM is really well respected in this town. I also know many alumni, and every single one that I have talked to highly recommends the school. And if I could go there for free or close to it, that's hard to beat. The facilities aren't super impressive, but the library is very nice. But yeah, the quality of the rest of the class is what worries me, as some of them seem like morons. But maybe there's some of those everywhere? And maybe that just means I have a better shot at top %10 of the class? :twisted: That is crazy that they had someone like that show you around! I wouldn't judge the school on that alone though. The school is downtown, which I absolutely love. You just have to have some street smarts, you're in a downtown urban enviroment. I actually live about 5 blocks away (to the east, where it gets worse and worse as you go), and I love it. I have a great loft for a cheap price. Cleveland is a cool city really, it's just that winter sucks. With all that being said, however, if Case gave me enough money to make it realistic to attend, or if I was independently wealthy, I would go to Case in a heartbeat. But if not, which is more likely, I'd be happy to attend CM on a scholarship.

Oh yeah, I live there too. Not downtown, but I live in Cleveland and grew up here. That was the whole issue I had with undergrad, I wanted to be with an intelligent body of students who were academically oriented like myself. Looking at CM made me want to visit Cincy, as I have a shot there and it's in state tuition. I know CM is a great school, which is why I find it amusing that the reputation and program are great whereas the students are...not. I think I've applied to enough schools to find and get into the one that works for me though.

I'm taking a shot at Cincy too, the in-state tuition would make it possible. I think most CM students are intelligent and hardworking, there may just be a few more people who shouldn't be in law school there than there is at a school like Case or Cincy.

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:33 pm

Yeah it's pretty freakin cold here now. It's been a fairly mild winter so far.... until this week!

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:35 pm

OhioRider22 wrote:

Yeah it's pretty freakin cold here now. It's been a fairly mild winter so far.... until this week!

neeko may even have the chance to see some sun. A rarity in winter, but we've been pretty lucky so far.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:40 pm

As long as it's not snowing on my vacation, I'm happy! I guess I should go buy gloves and a big coat just in case.

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:47 pm

neeko wrote:As long as it's not snowing on my vacation, I'm happy! I guess I should go buy gloves and a big coat just in case.

Actually, it doesn't look too bad for this weekend, high 30's and some sun. Like puremorning said, we have to enjoy every bit of sunshine we get around here!
But you might as well buy your gloves and coat, that way you'll have them when you're attending Case next year! :wink:

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:50 pm

OhioRider22 wrote:
neeko wrote:As long as it's not snowing on my vacation, I'm happy! I guess I should go buy gloves and a big coat just in case.

Actually, it doesn't look too bad for this weekend, high 30's and some sun. Like puremorning said, we have to enjoy every bit of sunshine we get around here!
But you might as well buy your gloves and coat, that way you'll have them when you're attending Case next year! :wink:

I like what you did there.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 pm

neeko wrote:
OhioRider22 wrote:

I like what you did there.

+1

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:55 pm

I went out with a classmate from Israel this weekend and she was bundled up like an eskimo. It was hilarious. I also had to explain the concept of a salt truck to her. <3 when people think we're kidding about the weather.

caller10

Postby caller10 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:58 pm

neeko wrote:What is up with this status checker still being blank? I emailed them but never heard back.

I'd really like to know what's up with it too. I don;t think we are going to hear anything until Friday though since that is when they are letting ED applicants know. Last year they didn't release anything until the day they said ED applicants would know

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:01 pm

puremorning wrote:I went out with a classmate from Israel this weekend and she was bundled up like an eskimo. It was hilarious. I also had to explain the concept of a salt truck to her. <3 when people think we're kidding about the weather.

I went to the Indians opening day 2 years ago I think, and it was rainy and I was soaking wet absolutely freezing. I went to the opening day here in Texas that same week in shorts and a tshirt! I was not prepared at all for the weather difference. I should have definitely bundled up like an Eskimo for that event.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”