Case Western 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snowpeach06

Gold

Re: Case Western 2015

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:56 pm

jallendaws wrote:Can anyone at or graduated from Case Western Law tell me a bit more about what the people at the school are like and what kind of environment they create? I'm looking for information that might give me a sense of what it would actually be like to be at Case Western. Students: are students very social/friendly, do they try to support one another, what kinds of attitudes and interests tend to prevail? Professors: are they accessible, have they given you good ideas and and helped you make connections regarding your career, are they engaging? And what about the staff, like people in career services - have students found these people helpful? I ask these questions because I would like to have a law school experience that I feel more connected to and stimulated by than I did attending my big public UG school. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
In my opinion:

1. Other students - it's law school - there will be the cocky and/or socially awkward people. But, I find most people to be lovely, friendly and supportive. My friends are always willing to help me in a bind - both in and out of school. I cant' say that i have the same interests as a lot of my friends in law school, but, it honestly doesn't matter, I love hanging out with them anyway.
2. Professors - again, good and bad. Most professors are accessible though. If you e-mail them, you'll get a response within a day or so. They can't always help get you a job, but, I actually did get my job through a professor, so, sometimes they can. I'd say most of the teachers are very good, with only a few bad apples.
3. Staff - they are kind of a joke. Literally. We have a joke about almost every member of staff. If you come here you will soon start to understand "*Do Not Reply **Do Not Reply **Do Not Reply **Do Not Reply **Do Not Reply **Do Not Reply *" and RuffEgg.

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:14 pm

1776 wrote:Ended up getting offered a spot (deferred) with a big scholarship (CoA $14/yr). Well above both medians. Horrible experience with them. Heading to Pitt with their biggest scholarship and no debt.

Good luck to people at Case, hopefully you'll like it. The Prof's I've met are great people. Case's reputation outside NE Ohio isn't great. I know a good number of people who went outside the region, and no one heard of Case. Having a Case degree outside Oh can be tough, and Cleveland Marshall is almost as strong as Case in Cleveland. So, just be careful, because CM is usually cheaper. Talking to Case Prof's, they think the school is in decline somewhat, and personally, it's not worth too much debt. If you're an OH resident, OSU and Cincy are cheaper options, and CM.
Agree that outside of Ohio and New York, most people would not recognize Case. If you are going to practice in those areas, it is a good choice, if not, maybe not so good.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jallendaws

New

Post by jallendaws » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:52 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:1. Other students - it's law school - there will be the cocky and/or socially awkward people. But, I find most people to be lovely, friendly and supportive. My friends are always willing to help me in a bind - both in and out of school. I cant' say that i have the same interests as a lot of my friends in law school, but, it honestly doesn't matter, I love hanging out with them anyway.
2. Professors - again, good and bad. Most professors are accessible though. If you e-mail them, you'll get a response within a day or so. They can't always help get you a job, but, I actually did get my job through a professor, so, sometimes they can. I'd say most of the teachers are very good, with only a few bad apples.
3. Staff - they are kind of a joke. Literally. We have a joke about almost every member of staff. If you come here you will soon start to understand "*Do Not Reply **Do Not Reply **Do Not Reply **Do Not Reply **Do Not Reply **Do Not Reply *" and RuffEgg.
Thanks for the response, sounds pretty positive. I'm trying to decide between Case and two other similarly ranked Midwest schools. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot to distinguish them from one another, so I'll do some more online research but mostly make my decision based on how my visits go in mid-late May. But I'm happy to say that Case is currently leading the way!

jallendaws

New

Post by jallendaws » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:58 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:Agree that outside of Ohio and New York, most people would not recognize Case. If you are going to practice in those areas, it is a good choice, if not, maybe not so good.
Would a degree from Case draw much attention from nearby states? I'm especially wondering about Michigan, my home state.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 pm

jallendaws wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:1. Other students - it's law school - there will be the cocky and/or socially awkward people. But, I find most people to be lovely, friendly and supportive. My friends are always willing to help me in a bind - both in and out of school. I cant' say that i have the same interests as a lot of my friends in law school, but, it honestly doesn't matter, I love hanging out with them anyway.
Thanks for the response, sounds pretty positive. I'm trying to decide between Case and two other similarly ranked Midwest schools. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot to distinguish them from one another, so I'll do some more online research but mostly make my decision based on how my visits go in mid-late May. But I'm happy to say that Case is currently leading the way!
That's great. And I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

dstr15

New

Post by dstr15 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:02 pm

jallendaws wrote:

Just in case you haven't seen this. http://placementsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/Home.aspx.

its worth a read, but most likely all these schools place similarly. Feel free to pm me with any questions (current 1L) but its finals time here so my answers will most likely be sporadic.

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:41 pm

jallendaws wrote:
2LsAPlenty wrote:Agree that outside of Ohio and New York, most people would not recognize Case. If you are going to practice in those areas, it is a good choice, if not, maybe not so good.
Would a degree from Case draw much attention from nearby states? I'm especially wondering about Michigan, my home state.
T2 schools have home markets and then one or two secondary markets if they're fortunate. Case is 50% Ohio, 50% not, although in a bad market I'm willing to bet it's more like 60/40. As you can see from the ABA summary (linked in previous post), Ohio is a little more than half of the employed grads, and then New York and DC. I don't know about Michigan, I'd guess there are some - a quick Martindale search shows just over a hundred. I'd guess with Michigan, you'd be competing mainly with MSU and Wayne State, not so much with the other schools since UMich grads tend to go out of state and the others are just too low ranked. But I wonder if anyone in Michigan will really care that your school is ranked ~20 spots higher - your ties to the state and overall academic performance are surely more important.

I'd guess if you hustle and make contacts early, Case could be advantangeous to you, but I'm not sure I'd pay a big premium for it over MSU if your ultimate goal is to end up in Michigan. Costs being roughly equal, I'd take Case; the overall outcome seems better, but you'll have to work on the location. But Ohio isn't that bad, if it comes to that. :)

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:45 am

Just withdrew. This one hurt. Best of luck to everyone ITT

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:17 pm

dstr15 wrote:
jallendaws wrote:

Just in case you haven't seen this. http://placementsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/Home.aspx.

its worth a read, but most likely all these schools place similarly. Feel free to pm me with any questions (current 1L) but its finals time here so my answers will most likely be sporadic.

Interesting read indeed. Confirms how few Big Law positions get filled from the law schools and that a great many do not end up in private practice. Also appears Case is pretty localized as discussed above.

jallendaws

New

Post by jallendaws » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks a lot guys for the information. For some reason, Michigan State's deferred me (though I've only found out about it by snail mail showing up at my parent's house, nothing in my email..) and I ended up withdrawing from Wayne because their seat deposit was due when I'd already been accepted to a school ranked twice as high (keep in mind that this was when I thought T2-T4 rankings mattered much more) and hadn't heard back from most schools. I'm not by any means hard set on working in Michigan but think it would be nice for it to be a possibility. I've got family and friends in Michigan but not really any business ties, discounting lawyers that are colleagues/friends through family.

No more questions for now, maybe later. Good luck with exams, those that are in the thick of it! (get off the forums!)

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 pm

jallendaws wrote:Thanks a lot guys for the information. For some reason, Michigan State's deferred me (though I've only found out about it by snail mail showing up at my parent's house, nothing in my email..) and I ended up withdrawing from Wayne because their seat deposit was due when I'd already been accepted to a school ranked twice as high (keep in mind that this was when I thought T2-T4 rankings mattered much more) and hadn't heard back from most schools. I'm not by any means hard set on working in Michigan but think it would be nice for it to be a possibility. I've got family and friends in Michigan but not really any business ties, discounting lawyers that are colleagues/friends through family.

No more questions for now, maybe later. Good luck with exams, those that are in the thick of it! (get off the forums!)
There is not much of a difference between schools in each tier, but there is a huge difference between t2 and t4 schools. You quite literally have no shot of making it out of the city of a t4 school - with a t2 you do have a shot. I have a friend in the top 2-3% at a t4 and can barely land jobs at small firms in her locality (not for interviewing purposes, but because they give them to other schools first).

JVanHo

New

Post by JVanHo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:23 am

I withdrew from Case after getting into Ohio State. Opens up a seat and $30k/yr, hope one of you get it!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:44 am

[/quote]There is not much of a difference between schools in each tier, but there is a huge difference between t2 and t4 schools. You quite literally have no shot of making it out of the city of a t4 school - with a t2 you do have a shot. I have a friend in the top 2-3% at a t4 and can barely land jobs at small firms in her locality (not for interviewing purposes, but because they give them to other schools first).[/quote]

If you look at the Case information at http://placementsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/Home.aspx. it certainly provides some food for thought. Not many make it into Big Law and those six figure salaries. Likely the same at most schools except the very top. Also shows Case is fairly localized.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Does anyone know if Case typically sends a response email for withdrawn applicants? I tried to make theirs especially polite. All the other schools from which I withdrew yesterday sent one pretty quickly, and I saw on my Case status checker that they officially withdrew me yesterday. Almost leaves me with the impression I burned a bridge...

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:25 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:
There is not much of a difference between schools in each tier, but there is a huge difference between t2 and t4 schools. You quite literally have no shot of making it out of the city of a t4 school - with a t2 you do have a shot. I have a friend in the top 2-3% at a t4 and can barely land jobs at small firms in her locality (not for interviewing purposes, but because they give them to other schools first).[/quote]

If you look at the Case information at http://placementsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/Home.aspx. it certainly provides some food for thought. Not many make it into Big Law and those six figure salaries. Likely the same at most schools except the very top. Also shows Case is fairly localized.[/quote]
The difference is t4 students can barely get jobs locally. It's pretty easy for a t2 student.

JVanHo

New

Post by JVanHo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:51 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:Does anyone know if Case typically sends a response email for withdrawn applicants? I tried to make theirs especially polite. All the other schools from which I withdrew yesterday sent one pretty quickly, and I saw on my Case status checker that they officially withdrew me yesterday. Almost leaves me with the impression I burned a bridge...
I had the same experience. A few of the schools I withdrew from asked "Why?" but some never replied with anything and just updated my status, which was the case with CWRU. Just curious, what bridges could you have possibly burned? I think you're probably over-thinking it lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:03 pm

JVanHo wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:Does anyone know if Case typically sends a response email for withdrawn applicants? I tried to make theirs especially polite. All the other schools from which I withdrew yesterday sent one pretty quickly, and I saw on my Case status checker that they officially withdrew me yesterday. Almost leaves me with the impression I burned a bridge...
I had the same experience. A few of the schools I withdrew from asked "Why?" but some never replied with anything and just updated my status, which was the case with CWRU. Just curious, what bridges could you have possibly burned? I think you're probably over-thinking it lol
I probably am over-thinking it haha. They gave me a really generous offer, and I wrote a pretty passionate "Why CWRU/Cleveland" essay in my application, so I figured they probably thought I would attend. Case was the only school out of the 7 I've withdrawn from that hasn't sent me anything. I thought I might have pissed them off?

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:20 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
2LsAPlenty wrote:
There is not much of a difference between schools in each tier, but there is a huge difference between t2 and t4 schools. You quite literally have no shot of making it out of the city of a t4 school - with a t2 you do have a shot. I have a friend in the top 2-3% at a t4 and can barely land jobs at small firms in her locality (not for interviewing purposes, but because they give them to other schools first).

If you look at the Case information at http://placementsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/Home.aspx. it certainly provides some food for thought. Not many make it into Big Law and those six figure salaries. Likely the same at most schools except the very top. Also shows Case is fairly localized.[/quote]
The difference is t4 students can barely get jobs locally. It's pretty easy for a t2 student.[/quote]

Though, I assume you are mostly talking about non-big law positions. Nothing against them at all, but the case numbers don't show many making it to big law.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:38 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote: Though, I assume you are mostly talking about non-big law positions. Nothing against them at all, but the case numbers don't show many making it to big law.
No. I'm talking about jobs period. There are maybe 10 kids a year that get big law (or a boutique that pays as much) out of Case. At a certain point it's not big law that's the issue. It's getting a job at all vs. not. Case doesn't have much biglaw, but at least almost all of us have legal jobs. T4 has even less big law and a sizable number of people are unemployed.

And I have to say, Case has a pretty large population of people that don't even want big law. I was applying to them, and had a few interviews (which, granted, I did not get) but, at a certain point I realized, "I don't want to work 80 hours a week, I'm not interested in the whole big law thing... I genuinely want to work in public interest and policy so why the hell am I even applying?" And I know I'm not the only one. A lot of us have found what we want and it isn't big law. Honestly, I get very annoyed with people who are big law or bust. If you genuinely want it, fine - but don't just want it because other people say you should want it. Most big law people will tell you the job kind of sucks and you barely have time to spend your money. And there are other prestigious jobs that are not big law. Government and public interest jobs can be every bit as competitive as big law - and many Case students get those jobs/internships.

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:32 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
2LsAPlenty wrote: Though, I assume you are mostly talking about non-big law positions. Nothing against them at all, but the case numbers don't show many making it to big law.
No. I'm talking about jobs period. There are maybe 10 kids a year that get big law (or a boutique that pays as much) out of Case. At a certain point it's not big law that's the issue. It's getting a job at all vs. not. Case doesn't have much biglaw, but at least almost all of us have legal jobs. T4 has even less big law and a sizable number of people are unemployed.

And I have to say, Case has a pretty large population of people that don't even want big law. I was applying to them, and had a few interviews (which, granted, I did not get) but, at a certain point I realized, "I don't want to work 80 hours a week, I'm not interested in the whole big law thing... I genuinely want to work in public interest and policy so why the hell am I even applying?" And I know I'm not the only one. A lot of us have found what we want and it isn't big law. Honestly, I get very annoyed with people who are big law or bust. If you genuinely want it, fine - but don't just want it because other people say you should want it. Most big law people will tell you the job kind of sucks and you barely have time to spend your money. And there are other prestigious jobs that are not big law. Government and public interest jobs can be every bit as competitive as big law - and many Case students get those jobs/internships.
Haha yeah, at the ASW I had a similar convo with my fellow Case TLSers about how TLS is so incredibly biglaw or bust. It's so annoying. My dad works in biglaw and I've grown up knowing that is not what I want to do. It's the reason I dragged my feet on going to law school so much in the first place. I basically grew up without a father and when he was there he was drinking and stressed out from work. Then I dated a guy who was like my dad's twin and it further reaffirmed my distaste for biglaw. I'm PI or bust :-P and compared to the other schools I was applying to I felt like Case will get me the furthest in that field, so that's why I'll be starting there in the fall!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:22 pm

puremorning wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

Haha yeah, at the ASW I had a similar convo with my fellow Case TLSers about how TLS is so incredibly biglaw or bust. It's so annoying. My dad works in biglaw and I've grown up knowing that is not what I want to do. It's the reason I dragged my feet on going to law school so much in the first place. I basically grew up without a father and when he was there he was drinking and stressed out from work. Then I dated a guy who was like my dad's twin and it further reaffirmed my distaste for biglaw. I'm PI or bust :-P and compared to the other schools I was applying to I felt like Case will get me the furthest in that field, so that's why I'll be starting there in the fall!
Yay! See you next year I suppose!

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:13 pm

"Status: Committee Review - Stage 2 of 2
Current Status Date: 2/3/2012"

zzzzzzz

Sm Firm Hiring P

Bronze

Post by Sm Firm Hiring P » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:59 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:

Snowpeach has a good point. I did biglaw for 3 years in my younger days and that part of my life I don't remember much except wanting to get out, which I finally did. The important point here SP is making (I think) is that you need to manage your expectations. The BS the schools put out about average 1st year incomes of six figures is just that, BS, unless you are talking Yale, Harvard, etc. Unfortunately, you do get unrepresentative response on TLS since most here are gunning for that biglaw, big salary position. The top 5% of the class can get biglaw and can make $ 100,000-$ 160,000 the first year. It drops very, very fast from there. If you are not in the top 50%, perferably top 25%, your chance at private practice is extremely remote unless you work for a solo and will likely make $ 30-40,000 starting. When you have a lot of student debt, this makes for a bleak picture if your first year grades are not that good. Without a 2L summer in a firm or a good clerkship, getting a firm job is also problematic. Of course, there are some very good public and corporate positions that very in pay but most don't pay big time. However, many of those positions can be very rewarding. If you don't have the huge debt, then do what you want and don't be overconsumed about the money. All in all, it is a changed legal world and you just need to have reasonable expectations from the school of your choice and you expected job path.

legalsinger

New

Post by legalsinger » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Was just admitted today! How long did it take everyone for scholarship/financial aid info?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”