Michigan State c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
BeerMaker
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 am

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby BeerMaker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:24 pm

I was very high on MSU. I'm at their median GPA and more than 9 points above their LSAT median. I wanted a full ride and did not get one. Now I will be looking to go someplace else because my numbers are pretty solid. Unless they come back later with a full ride, I'm out with them. I was surprised and sort of offended.
Last edited by BeerMaker on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby Opie » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:24 pm

BeerMaker wrote:I was very high on MSU. I'm at there median GPA and more than 9 points above their LSAT median. I wanted a full ride and did not get one. Now I will be looking to go someplace else because my numbers are pretty solid. Unless they come back later with a full ride, I'm out with them. I was surprised and sort of offended.


IIRC MSU has rigid guidelines for scholarships. They don't waive the GPA requirement if you have a really high LSAT. For that reason, the money isn't really splitter friendly. I think you have to have a 3.7 minimum to get a full scholly.

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby tooswolle » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:25 pm

When I got the request for the why MSU paper I got a good feeling for it. But it did seem like they were on fence of yp. That being said I'm hoping for a big scholarship from them. Has anyone who submitted the why MSU gotten a decision yet and if so what kind of scholly did you get?

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby kmokeefe » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:37 pm

proc5000 wrote:I got the Why MSU email. Is it a region thing? I live in KY. I have similar numbers (3.1, 163) to some that were admitted by phone call.

It could be a region thing, but I was not asked to write it and am currently in the south. But I might have also not been asked to write it because I spent part of my life growing up in Michigan, and my personal statement was partially about that.

Susan_Walid
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:35 am

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby Susan_Walid » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:48 pm

So the Why MSU request was pretty much sent out to everyone? I thought they sent it to a select few :( Was so happy I got it...thought I was 99% in..now not so sure..

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby tooswolle » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:19 pm

I don't think so from the looks of it you had to have an LSAT in their range for scholarships. At least I'd like to think that.

Susan_Walid
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:35 am

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby Susan_Walid » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Really...so you think anyone who got the email has a good shot at admission? Assuming they don't blow the essay that is...

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby tooswolle » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

My assumption would be yes. Since their 25th and 75th aren't too high given tls standards. That's why I've been asking if anyone got the request and then got admitted with scholarship.

Leighmak
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby Leighmak » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:09 pm

.
Last edited by Leighmak on Wed May 16, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

game6
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby game6 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:23 am

Leighmak wrote:I was admitted with full scholarship...never got the Why MSU email.


Same here.

motivation
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby motivation » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:03 am

My status changed to re-review in february. Can anyone shed some light on this?

northerniowan
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby northerniowan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:18 am

My status changed to re-review in february. Can anyone shed some light on this?


I'm imagining waitlist. You will probably get an e-mail about it.

msuz
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby msuz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:31 am

I think I can shed some light on the situation for the people who are getting why MSU emails/splitters. Like Opie said, there are hard # reqs for scholarships -

Dean Charles H. King Full-Tuition Scholarship: UGPA of 3.75 and an LSAT score of 161
Faculty Full-Tuition Scholarship: UGPA of 3.60 and an LSAT score of 159
Academic Excellence Scholarship (up to $25,000): UGPA of 3.50 and an LSAT score of 157
Alumni Merit Scholarship ($8,500 to $17,500): UGPA of 3.15 and an LSAT score of 157

I was accepted on scholarship (and did not have to write why MSU essay) even though a lot of people's LSAT scores on here were higher than mine, but I made sure to hit home the point in my essay that I am from MI and want to stay here. If you are out of state and your PS was a general PS that you sent out to all schools, I would be willing to bet money that you are being YP'ed.

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:45 am

msuz wrote:I think I can shed some light on the situation for the people who are getting why MSU emails/splitters. Like Opie said, there are hard # reqs for scholarships -

Dean Charles H. King Full-Tuition Scholarship: UGPA of 3.75 and an LSAT score of 161
Faculty Full-Tuition Scholarship: UGPA of 3.60 and an LSAT score of 159
Academic Excellence Scholarship (up to $25,000): UGPA of 3.50 and an LSAT score of 157
Alumni Merit Scholarship ($8,500 to $17,500): UGPA of 3.15 and an LSAT score of 157

I was accepted on scholarship (and did not have to write why MSU essay) even though a lot of people's LSAT scores on here were higher than mine, but I made sure to hit home the point in my essay that I am from MI and want to stay here. If you are out of state and your PS was a general PS that you sent out to all schools, I would be willing to bet money that you are being YP'ed.


So if my GPA is below that 3.15, but my LSAT is 10 points above that 157, I get $0?

msuz
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby msuz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:14 am

neeko wrote:
msuz wrote:I think I can shed some light on the situation for the people who are getting why MSU emails/splitters. Like Opie said, there are hard # reqs for scholarships -

Dean Charles H. King Full-Tuition Scholarship: UGPA of 3.75 and an LSAT score of 161
Faculty Full-Tuition Scholarship: UGPA of 3.60 and an LSAT score of 159
Academic Excellence Scholarship (up to $25,000): UGPA of 3.50 and an LSAT score of 157
Alumni Merit Scholarship ($8,500 to $17,500): UGPA of 3.15 and an LSAT score of 157

I was accepted on scholarship (and did not have to write why MSU essay) even though a lot of people's LSAT scores on here were higher than mine, but I made sure to hit home the point in my essay that I am from MI and want to stay here. If you are out of state and your PS was a general PS that you sent out to all schools, I would be willing to bet money that you are being YP'ed.


So if my GPA is below that 3.15, but my LSAT is 10 points above that 157, I get $0?

I honestly have no idea, but I would be curious to know. Those numbers are taken from their website. Someone should call admissions and ask. I feel like there has to be SOMETHING for splitters though.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby Opie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:23 am

msuz wrote:I think I can shed some light on the situation for the people who are getting why MSU emails/splitters. Like Opie said, there are hard # reqs for scholarships -

Dean Charles H. King Full-Tuition Scholarship: UGPA of 3.75 and an LSAT score of 161
Faculty Full-Tuition Scholarship: UGPA of 3.60 and an LSAT score of 159
Academic Excellence Scholarship (up to $25,000): UGPA of 3.50 and an LSAT score of 157
Alumni Merit Scholarship ($8,500 to $17,500): UGPA of 3.15 and an LSAT score of 157

I was accepted on scholarship (and did not have to write why MSU essay) even though a lot of people's LSAT scores on here were higher than mine, but I made sure to hit home the point in my essay that I am from MI and want to stay here. If you are out of state and your PS was a general PS that you sent out to all schools, I would be willing to bet money that you are being YP'ed.


That's what I thought. Even with a 170, you can't get a full scholly without the GPA. It sucks, but I dig the transparency.

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:26 am

That doesn't seem very productive to me, but I'm biased.

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby tooswolle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:52 am

Im hoping that why MSU request wasn't because they are thinking of yping me. This cycle I applied to reaches and targets as well as schools that give out good scholarships since I'm waging the pros and cons for both and MSU would be good on a full ride or close to one.

30somethingJD
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby 30somethingJD » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:31 pm

I got the "why MSU" request as well. I emailed it to admissions durring Thanksgiving weekend and then on 12/1 my status changed from "additional documents requested" to "app complete" but nothing since. I agree that I believe they made this request to strong candidates who do not appear to have ties to Michigan. My numbers are right on the 50% marks but I live in the south and made no reference to Mi in my personal statement. I was however born in Michigan and still have a lot of family there so I did talk about that rather extensively in my "why MSU" essay :wink: So now I suppose we just have to see if they YP us!

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby Opie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:21 pm

tooswolle wrote:Im hoping that why MSU request wasn't because they are thinking of yping me. This cycle I applied to reaches and targets as well as schools that give out good scholarships since I'm waging the pros and cons for both and MSU would be good on a full ride or close to one.


You could mention in you essay that you are debt averse and thought MSU would be very cost effective for you.

FWIW, I think MSU is a deal because it is rising so fast. You're paying for the current ranking, but you'll get a degree from a school with a higher one.

User avatar
BeerMaker
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 am

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby BeerMaker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:36 pm

I have a 3.5 gpa and scored more than 7 point above the faculty full ride LSAT. I find it hilarious that MSU would rather have a student with a 3.6 and a 159 than a 3.5 167. It's not even near the same quality. It goes to show why they remain a crappy tier two with pathetic job placement. Sour grapes? Maybe so. I can get a full ride at Bloomington so MSU can eat a dick. Their basketball team too :)

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:37 pm

BeerMaker wrote:I have a 3.5 gpa and scored more than 7 point above the faculty full ride LSAT. I find it hilarious that MSU would rather have a student with a 3.6 and a 159 than a 3.5 167. It's not even near the same quality. It goes to show why they remain a crappy tier two with pathetic job placement. Sour grapes? Maybe so. I can get a full ride at Bloomington so MSU can eat a dick. Their basketball team too :)


I would hope they would think outside the box in this situation. The hard and fast rules seem asinine.

User avatar
BeerMaker
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 am

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby BeerMaker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:53 pm

neeko wrote:
BeerMaker wrote:I have a 3.5 gpa and scored more than 7 point above the faculty full ride LSAT. I find it hilarious that MSU would rather have a student with a 3.6 and a 159 than a 3.5 167. It's not even near the same quality. It goes to show why they remain a crappy tier two with pathetic job placement. Sour grapes? Maybe so. I can get a full ride at Bloomington so MSU can eat a dick. Their basketball team too :)


I would hope they would think outside the box in this situation. The hard and fast rules seem asinine.


I thought the same thing. I guess it was a waste of money to apply. Oh well.

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby kmokeefe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:56 pm

BeerMaker wrote:I have a 3.5 gpa and scored more than 7 point above the faculty full ride LSAT. I find it hilarious that MSU would rather have a student with a 3.6 and a 159 than a 3.5 167. It's not even near the same quality. It goes to show why they remain a crappy tier two with pathetic job placement. Sour grapes? Maybe so. I can get a full ride at Bloomington so MSU can eat a dick. Their basketball team too :)

if they're so awful then why did you want a full ride so badly?

motivation
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby motivation » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:16 pm

If I am being re-reviewed in february, then should I send a LOCI? (or perhaps a why MSU essay?)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, Christinabruin, eageragnostic, MSNbot Media, Zoe107 and 4 guests