Michigan State c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
llachans

Silver

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Post by llachans » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:24 pm

timetopretend wrote:
Haha well you have a few more weeks at least, so I wouldn't stress about it too much. Eventually you'll realize the right choice
lol. I think I did an hour or so ago actually! I love MSU but their 43% employment in Bar-required positions freaks me out compared to the 77% at my other school choice : ( Bummer. I had fallen in love with MSU's mock courtroom : (

NCGuy

Gold

Post by NCGuy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:19 am

llachans wrote:
timetopretend wrote:
Haha well you have a few more weeks at least, so I wouldn't stress about it too much. Eventually you'll realize the right choice
lol. I think I did an hour or so ago actually! I love MSU but their 43% employment in Bar-required positions freaks me out compared to the 77% at my other school choice : ( Bummer. I had fallen in love with MSU's mock courtroom : (
What's interesting is that only 9 people are listed as unemployed and looking. I did find the placement stats to be really interesting as they do seem to place nationally (North Carolina is one of the higher represented states of employment).

There seems to be a high number of people doing dual degrees there so that would possibly skew the numbers slightly. I'd be interested in seeing why the number is so low, the school seems to provide a good enough education.
Last edited by NCGuy on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:37 am

NCGuy wrote:
llachans wrote:
timetopretend wrote:
What's interesting is that only 9 people are listed as unemployed and looking. I did find the placement stats to be really interesting as they do seem to place nationally (North Carolina is one of the higher represented states of employment).

There seems to be a high number of people doing dual degrees there so that would possibly skew the numbers slightly. I'd be interested in seeing why the number is so low, the school seems to provide a good enough education.

MSU has a great labor MA, so people doing the dual JD/MA in labor probably have better employment chances in industry. That MA alone places people in the biggest corporations in the world, aside from the obvious Ford, GM, Chrysler. Those jobs don't require bar, so that would skew the %ages.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:05 am

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:

MSU has a great labor MA, so people doing the dual JD/MA in labor probably have better employment chances in industry. That MA alone places people in the biggest corporations in the world, aside from the obvious Ford, GM, Chrysler. Those jobs don't require bar, so that would skew the %ages.
How much do you suspect that it can drop the %? I mean...43.1% is pretty terrible.

NCGuy

Gold

Post by NCGuy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:30 am

llachans wrote:

How much do you suspect that it can drop the %? I mean...43.1% is pretty terrible.
Well, only 12 people (or 3.3%) are in "non-professional" jobs. A decent amount are in "JD Preferred" and "Other Professional" jobs.

The employment numbers aren't great by any stretch but if you have a generous scholly, it's worth at least checking out. If you strike out at MSU, you have minimal debt whereas if you strike out at another school, you could have six figures of debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

accidentalhippy

New

Post by accidentalhippy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:00 pm

NCGuy wrote:
llachans wrote:

Well, only 12 people (or 3.3%) are in "non-professional" jobs. A decent amount are in "JD Preferred" and "Other Professional" jobs.

The employment numbers aren't great by any stretch but if you have a generous scholly, it's worth at least checking out. If you strike out at MSU, you have minimal debt whereas if you strike out at another school, you could have six figures of debt.
I would also add that the MI economy appears to be rebounding, slowly but surely and there is a generalized entrepreneurial vibe in the larger cities like Detroit, Grand Rapids & Lansing. So a funded JD from MSU may well position you to get in on the ground floor of some of the other economic action in the state's recovery. That might not be useful if your interests lie in trial work or government positions, but it could mean good things if you are keen on corporate or IP.

westcoast

Bronze

Post by westcoast » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:52 pm

I am annoyed with Michigan State. I don't understand the logic of telling people that you hope to be able to offer them scholarships and then repeatedly stringing them along. I'd rather they didn't tell me anything until they are actually able to offer something. I am happy for those of you who have been fortunate to receive scholarships.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:56 pm

westcoast wrote:I am annoyed with Michigan State. I don't understand the logic of telling people that you hope to be able to offer them scholarships and then repeatedly stringing them along. I'd rather they didn't tell me anything until they are actually able to offer something. I am happy for those of you who have been fortunate to receive scholarships.
I agree. Someone on this thread actually had a scholly lowered after an initial offer :shock:. I appreciate MSU building their program up but I resent the manner in which they handle their business. They are yield protecting on a borderline criminal level, in my opinion. I love the school, but their practices are turning me off greatly. They better watch it, or they will create a reputation that will bite them in the ass. One of two things are happening: they either have no idea what they are doing, or they are sinister bastards. Either way, it is a bad deal.

Having said that, I believe MSU is a good school for people who know how to utilize its strengths.

Good luck to all who still have their hearts set on East Lansing.

accidentalhippy

New

Post by accidentalhippy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:18 pm

westcoast wrote:I am annoyed with Michigan State. I don't understand the logic of telling people that you hope to be able to offer them scholarships and then repeatedly stringing them along. I'd rather they didn't tell me anything until they are actually able to offer something. I am happy for those of you who have been fortunate to receive scholarships.
I agree. Someone on this thread actually had a scholly lowered after an initial offer :shock:. I appreciate MSU building their program up but I resent the manner in which they handle their business. They are yield protecting on a borderline criminal level, in my opinion. I love the school, but their practices are turning me off greatly. They better watch it, or they will create a reputation that will bite them in the ass. One of two things are happening: they either have no idea what they are doing, or they are sinister bastards. Either way, it is a bad deal.

Having said that, I believe MSU is a good school for people who know how to utilize its strengths.

It might also be possible that the donors whose promises made MSU's largesse possible are coming up a bit short with the actual cash; or even, the cycle this year has been so anomalous that more students than even their more conservative calculations projected actually accepted their offer. I confess to being on of those with a great offer who took forever to accept (due more to family dynamics and an unexpected admission to a local Tier 1...with no funding).

This is speculation of course (made from the comfort of having my decision in hand); but it is IMHO as plausible an explanation as the "MSU can't seem to get its shit together" or "MSU admissions is over-populated by sadists" theories.

But if you really want to be at MSU, I hope you are admitted, as it will be so much better to study and work with people who want to be there, than with folks who act like they'd really rather be someplace else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:05 am

accidentalhippy wrote:
But if you really want to be at MSU, I hope you are admitted, as it will be so much better to study and work with people who want to be there, than with folks who act like they'd really rather be someplace else.
Well, taking back offered scholly money before deposit deadline is sadistic IMHO. But I credit your final analysis. People should not go to MSU, or anywhere really, unless they like the school and want to be a part of a greater community. Too many people go to a school with a chip on their shoulder because they think they "settled" and are somehow "too good," basically snobby folk. MSU has a lot of options for people and I am not criticizing the merits of the school, rather the current pattern of dispersal behavior.

NCGuy

Gold

Post by NCGuy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:47 am

At the Accepted Students Day I went to, they were pretty stern about people accepting offers by April 1st, largely because of the waitlist and then wanting to let applicants know ASAP whether or not they can attend. I think they have good intentions but this is one of the first years of national recruitment. Their efforts are paying off in the rise in the rankings but I can imagine it'd be a logistical nightmare for admissions to coordinate.

ETA - If you have any questions about job placement, email career services. They're ridiculously helpful. They can (and usually will) give you more information.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:23 pm

NCGuy wrote: ETA - If you have any questions about job placement, email career services. They're ridiculously helpful. They can (and usually will) give you more information.
I've heard good things about MSU CSO. This is a department every potential student of any college needs to consider when attending. The Ole Miss situation is evidence of this... :shock:

gtrbrndn

New

Post by gtrbrndn » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:30 am

Hello all. New to this board. I received a 75% scholarship to MSU (about 9K annually after scholarship) and really like everything I have been hearing about the school. I'm from Southern California, however, and am a little partial to big cities. I received 13K from Chicago-Kent (still about 29K per year after scholarship) and 25K to Seton Hall (about 20K). Also still waiting on several schools in the 15-50 rankings range. I really like the idea of living in Chicago, but not sure it is worth 20K a year for a school only ranked 20 places higher in the rankings. Thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:34 am

gtrbrndn wrote:Hello all. New to this board. I received a 75% scholarship to MSU (about 9K annually after scholarship) and really like everything I have been hearing about the school. I'm from Southern California, however, and am a little partial to big cities. I received 13K from Chicago-Kent (still about 29K per year after scholarship) and 25K to Seton Hall (about 20K). Also still waiting on several schools in the 15-50 rankings range. I really like the idea of living in Chicago, but not sure it is worth 20K a year for a school only ranked 20 places higher in the rankings. Thoughts?
If I were on your position, MSU hands down. I truly believe the school cares a great deal about its students. If it hadn't been because I got into Irvine, I would have probably gone to MSU (keep in mind I also got into Hastings and Loyola). But then again I'm not you. Have you visited all campuses? MSU bar rates for Illinois are awesome too. I'd go with the lesser debt.

NCGuy

Gold

Post by NCGuy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:05 am

lawgeekgrl wrote:
gtrbrndn wrote:Hello all. New to this board. I received a 75% scholarship to MSU (about 9K annually after scholarship) and really like everything I have been hearing about the school. I'm from Southern California, however, and am a little partial to big cities. I received 13K from Chicago-Kent (still about 29K per year after scholarship) and 25K to Seton Hall (about 20K). Also still waiting on several schools in the 15-50 rankings range. I really like the idea of living in Chicago, but not sure it is worth 20K a year for a school only ranked 20 places higher in the rankings. Thoughts?
If I were on your position, MSU hands down. I truly believe the school cares a great deal about its students. If it hadn't been because I got into Irvine, I would have probably gone to MSU (keep in mind I also got into Hastings and Loyola). But then again I'm not you. Have you visited all campuses? MSU bar rates for Illinois are awesome too. I'd go with the lesser debt.
Also, if you like Chicago that much, it isn't THAT difficult to get to from East Lansing. It's not a long car ride and there is regular train and bus service.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:19 am

I'm from Chicago and familiar with the Chicago schools. I would advise going against Kent for that amount of debt. That's just under 90k debt just for tuition. Then add a total of 80k for cost of living. You're at almost 200,000 dollars in debt for a TT in a saturated legal market (competing with NW/UC, other top 14, U-IL, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and then finally Loyola and JMLS).

I think MSU is a really attractive option. It's possible to get chicago out of it, but definitely don't attend MSU unless you'd be fine settling down in Michigan.

gtrbrndn

New

Post by gtrbrndn » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:39 pm

llachans wrote:
I'm from Chicago and familiar with the Chicago schools. I would advise going against Kent for that amount of debt. That's just under 90k debt just for tuition. Then add a total of 80k for cost of living. You're at almost 200,000 dollars in debt for a TT in a saturated legal market (competing with NW/UC, other top 14, U-IL, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and then finally Loyola and JMLS).

I think MSU is a really attractive option. It's possible to get chicago out of it, but definitely don't attend MSU unless you'd be fine settling down in Michigan.
Thanks for the advice. Definitely leaning (heavily) toward MSU unless I can get a better scholarship out of Kent. I'm waitlisted at Illinois, though I can't imagine receiving a scholarship from them. Obviously a better school than Kent, but same advice, right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:12 pm

gtrbrndn wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Definitely leaning (heavily) toward MSU unless I can get a better scholarship out of Kent. I'm waitlisted at Illinois, though I can't imagine receiving a scholarship from them. Obviously a better school than Kent, but same advice, right?[/quote]
If you'd be okay living in Southern Illinois, I don't think that IL is as bad as an option as Kent. I'd still choose MSU > IL, but I'm also less risk adverse than some.

Abrennan

New

Post by Abrennan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:54 pm

I'm W/L at Michigan State, Chicago-Kent, and Loyola Chicago...any idea where I should put my effort in to try and get off the waitlist?

Anyone else who was W/L at MSU figure out how to get off the list?

mzl

New

Post by mzl » Tue May 29, 2012 11:39 pm

I agree with this. To be so hopeful, only to get email after email saying that they are extending the date at which they will be informing us of whether or not we get admitted?... it's just toying with emotions at this point. They shouldn't have done this to begin with and simply wait listed people. At first, I thought it was a "You're in if we have the money!" but after I asked, it turned out you're not admitted and they just kept changing their status date.

I withdrew my application. There's no point in waiting on something that seems as if it will never come. And this practice they've employed makes me question how the school is run.

Rdubs

New

Post by Rdubs » Wed May 30, 2012 12:05 am

Send your offer from MSU to Kent. I did, and they upped my scholarship and found a way to get me free room & board for a year while dropping my grade stip. That said, I still chose against Kent (I was fortunate with waitlists and I'm currently choosing between some schools in the 20's). The big school atmosphere of MSU will help minimize the fact the EL isn't as large as Chicago. I was able to visit Kent, and I attended MSU for undergrad, so if you have any more questions feel free to pm me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BeerMaker

Bronze

Post by BeerMaker » Wed May 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Does MSU offer part time at night for people with jobs? All I see is a day program. What the hell? For second shifters?

accidentalhippy

New

Post by accidentalhippy » Wed May 30, 2012 10:18 pm

BeerMaker wrote:Does MSU offer part time at night for people with jobs? All I see is a day program. What the hell? For second shifters?
They are only a day program now.

BeerMaker

Bronze

Post by BeerMaker » Thu May 31, 2012 7:08 am

accidentalhippy wrote:
BeerMaker wrote:Does MSU offer part time at night for people with jobs? All I see is a day program. What the hell? For second shifters?
That is absolutely ridiculous.

accidentalhippy

New

Post by accidentalhippy » Thu May 31, 2012 8:33 am

BeerMaker wrote:
accidentalhippy wrote:
That is absolutely ridiculous.
It limits prospective students' options, but it isn't ridiculous when one considers the costs associated with running any school during the day and night, particularly in the winter. There are probably other reasons as well, but that has to be a pretty big one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”