Michigan State c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
uga7660

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby uga7660 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:45 pm

Congratulations! That is exciting. I am hoping to hear something today. My status still says Complete from 10/28. Do you remember if you ever went from Complete to In Review?[/quote]

Thanks so much! The online status checker did not change from "complete" until I was notified of admission. It immediately changed to "admitted". Hope you hear something today as well! It gets annoying logging in to status checker.

Just another fyi, after you're admitted, you'll receive an email from Dean Roboski about dates set aside for admitted student weekends. Apparently there is a website that goes live in December for admitted students that has information about these sessions and other topics.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:24 pm

My app finally completed!

Rdubs

Postby Rdubs » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:12 am

In with a full-ride on Nov. 15th. Admitted into the King Scholars Program as well.... Now I just need to decide if going to a T-14 school (should I get in) is worth taking over going law school for free (room and board at MSU is covered with my job)....

troytrojan

Postby troytrojan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:56 am

Fee waiver offered, application completed a few days ago.

So what are the job prospects like for MSU grads? Obviously it's no T14, but it appears to be moving up the rankings (from the depths, granted) slightly, yes?

89vision

Postby 89vision » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:23 pm

I submitted last Wednesday, received an email today stating decisions will be made in 3-5 weeks. They sent me a fee waiver and said I qualified for at least half tuition. They sent me a ton of material. Good luck everyone!

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:28 pm

how long do the apps normally sit in the ''waiting on hard copy'' state?

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:36 pm

stephinmd wrote:how long do the apps normally sit in the ''waiting on hard copy'' state?

Mine took about a week to change from "waiting on hard copy" to "application complete."

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:36 am

kmokeefe wrote:
stephinmd wrote:how long do the apps normally sit in the ''waiting on hard copy'' state?

Mine took about a week to change from "waiting on hard copy" to "application complete."

Mine was like 2 weeks.

@troytrojan, From what I hear, job prospects are good if you stay in Michigan. Not sure if you're wanting to do that or not. It is climbing fast though and I expect it to be a T1 in the next 5 years. I wouldn't bet my career on that though. :mrgreen:

I would probably take a T14 over MSU, but with that money it should be a strong competitor against pretty much any other school IF you are willing to stay in Michigan if you have to.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:30 am

Opie wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:

Mine was like 2 weeks.

@troytrojan, From what I hear, job prospects are good if you stay in Michigan. Not sure if you're wanting to do that or not. It is climbing fast though and I expect it to be a T1 in the next 5 years. I wouldn't bet my career on that though. :mrgreen:

I would probably take a T14 over MSU, but with that money it should be a strong competitor against pretty much any other school IF you are willing to stay in Michigan if you have to.

I hope so! They have sent me a ton of material about the school, more than any other actually. Has anyone visited/know anything about the law school (student life, standard of living, COL, courses, Prof, etc;). Thanks.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:34 am

89vision wrote:
Opie wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:

Mine was like 2 weeks.

I hope so! They have sent me a ton of material about the school, more than any other actually. Has anyone visited/know anything about the law school (student life, standard of living, COL, courses, Prof, etc;). Thanks.

I get a bunch of stuff from them too. That's why they're moving up so fast. They're actively trying.

I've not visited, but I hear standard of living is decent, about average, and cost of living is low.

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:37 am

Has anyone heard anything lately? They told me the second wave would go out early December.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:57 am

neeko wrote:Has anyone heard anything lately? They told me the second wave would go out early December.

Nothing since it went complete. Well, accept emails from Molly about how much money I can get. :mrgreen:

She still thinks they don't have my GPA. :?

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:03 pm

Mine's been waiting since 11/17. I'm convinced the LSAC uses the Pony Express to deliver hard copies.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:56 pm

CaptAdams wrote:

Mine's been waiting since 11/17. I'm convinced the LSAC uses the Pony Express to deliver hard copies.

Honestly I think it's MSU taking forever to process them. I applied to schools farther from PA than MSU and it was done MUCH sooner. Like a week sooner.

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Someone on LSN waitlisted via status checker. Any movement for anyone else?

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:09 pm

No movement on my status checker yet (applied 11/15), but someone from admissions did call me today just to see if I had applied/had any questions. I should've asked when I would hear about acceptances/rejections but no I was silly and asked how the weather was.

msuz

Postby msuz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:24 pm

Last edited by msuz on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skater

Postby Skater » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:00 pm

For anyone considering passing up a T14 for an MSU scholarship, you may want to do research into comparative job
Last edited by Skater on Tue May 29, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rdubs

Postby Rdubs » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Skater wrote:For anyone considering passing up a T14 for an MSU scholarship, you may want to do research into comparative job placements. In Michigan, older people (I.e. Law firm partners) in the legal community often still think of MSU as the Detroit College of Law, which was considered to be inferior to Wayne State and the University of Detroit, and in another world from the University of Michigan. the transition to the MSU identity (although it is still an entity separate from MSU) is slowly helping, but old prejudices can die hard especially when there are so many candidates for any job.

The question becomes.... what if we are talking about 100% free school at MSU (minus the cost of books). While I understand the job market may not be the best in the world right now for MSU Grads, full-tuition plus free room and board is tempting (especially considering any merit scholarships are out of the question at a T-14).

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:15 pm

Rdubs wrote:
Skater wrote:For anyone considering passing up a T14 for an MSU scholarship, you may want to do research into comparative job placements. In Michigan, older people (I.e. Law firm partners) in the legal community often still think of MSU as the Detroit College of Law, which was considered to be inferior to Wayne State and the University of Detroit, and in another world from the University of Michigan. the transition to the MSU identity (although it is still an entity separate from MSU) is slowly helping, but old prejudices can die hard especially when there are so many candidates for any job.

The question becomes.... what if we are talking about 100% free school at MSU (minus the cost of books). While I understand the job market may not be the best in the world right now for MSU Grads, full-tuition plus free room and board is tempting (especially considering any merit scholarships are out of the question at a T-14).

For someone who is DETERMINED to stay in Michigan and WILL NOT leave, full ride at MSU may be almost equal to lower T14 at sticker. Only because you can network in the area, work locally during the summer, COL is probably lower than most T14s, and you're looking at $150,000 less debt.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:16 pm

msuz wrote:
89vision wrote:I hope so! They have sent me a ton of material about the school, more than any other actually. Has anyone visited/know anything about the law school (student life, standard of living, COL, courses, Prof, etc;). Thanks.

I did my UG there. East Lansing is definitely a college town, and most of the bars are college bars, but I dont doubt there is lots for grad students to do too. Its right next to Lansing so Im sure there are quite a few internship opportunities, and Lansing has a few decent bars in it as well but Lansing night life is nothing to rave about. And in case you didnt know Cooley is right down the street in Lansing. COL is kind of expensive around campus, but probably not as bad as a big city would be. Rent for apartments is usually 400-700. Overall its probably a pretty safe area unless you live in the bad parts of Lansing.

Thanks. Rent sounds pretty affordable. I pay $300 in a city for a 5 bedroom house, plus $25/month for parking. How is the music scene? I have always lived near a major city, and all the bands I've wanted to see play with 2 hours of either city I've lived in. Are there good venues? What about museums? I've never been to Michigan, so I'm completely ignorant of the state and whatnot.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:20 pm

89vision wrote:
msuz wrote:
89vision wrote:I hope so! They have sent me a ton of material about the school, more than any other actually. Has anyone visited/know anything about the law school (student life, standard of living, COL, courses, Prof, etc;). Thanks.

I did my UG there. East Lansing is definitely a college town, and most of the bars are college bars, but I dont doubt there is lots for grad students to do too. Its right next to Lansing so Im sure there are quite a few internship opportunities, and Lansing has a few decent bars in it as well but Lansing night life is nothing to rave about. And in case you didnt know Cooley is right down the street in Lansing. COL is kind of expensive around campus, but probably not as bad as a big city would be. Rent for apartments is usually 400-700. Overall its probably a pretty safe area unless you live in the bad parts of Lansing.

Thanks. Rent sounds pretty affordable. I pay $300 in a city for a 5 bedroom house, plus $25/month for parking. How is the music scene? I have always lived near a major city, and all the bands I've wanted to see play with 2 hours of either city I've lived in. Are there good venues? What about museums? I've never been to Michigan, so I'm completely ignorant of the state and whatnot.

I think you may be disappointed, but not as disappointed as one would think. I'll leave this one to msuz though.

naw

Postby naw » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:47 pm

Looks like they've got 3L calling people to tell them about their full-ride scholly/student life. Damn near gave me a heart attack when I realized it was someone from a law school/heartbreak when I realized it wasn't a school I had applied to.

naw

Postby naw » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:50 pm

naw wrote:Looks like they've got 3L calling people to tell them about their full-ride scholly/student life. Damn near gave me a heart attack when I realized it was someone from a law school/heartbreak when I realized it wasn't a school I had applied to.

Would it be worth applying just to use this to negotiate other T2 schools' offers (like Santa Clara, Oregon, Northeastern, Lewis & Clark, Brooklyn, Chicago-Kent)?

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:06 pm

naw wrote:
naw wrote:Looks like they've got 3L calling people to tell them about their full-ride scholly/student life. Damn near gave me a heart attack when I realized it was someone from a law school/heartbreak when I realized it wasn't a school I had applied to.

Would it be worth applying just to use this to negotiate other T2 schools' offers (like Santa Clara, Oregon, Northeastern, Lewis & Clark, Brooklyn, Chicago-Kent)?

I think so. My primary motivation is to leverage another school to drop stipulations.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”