Michigan State c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
30somethingJD

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby 30somethingJD » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:37 pm

In via status checker. I, unlike everyone else on here, did not receive a phone call and my numbers are within their scholly requirments. My status checker just says "admitted". Although I was one of those who got the "Why MSU" essay request. (I submitted it during Thanksgiving break) Anybody else status checker just say "Admitted"?

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:57 pm

30somethingJD wrote:In via status checker. I, unlike everyone else on here, did not receive a phone call and my numbers are within their scholly requirments. My status checker just says "admitted". Although I was one of those who got the "Why MSU" essay request. (I submitted it during Thanksgiving break) Anybody else status checker just say "Admitted"?

My guess is the admissions person that imputed the info did so before someone called you. I got the call first and just today (almost a week after being admitted) my status changed to "admitted with scholarship."

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:58 pm

I asked the admissions people about their curve for 1L. Here's what they said:

The First Year grading curve is as follows:

20-30% - A to A-
30-40% - B, B+ and B-
30-40% - C, C+ and C-
0-10% - D, D+ and D-

Any thoughts??

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:06 pm

cvargas84 wrote:I asked the admissions people about their curve for 1L. Here's what they said:

20-30% - A to A-
30-40% - B, B+ and B-
30-40% - C, C+ and C-
0-10% - D, D+ and D-

Any thoughts??

i have no idea what to make of the grading curve, since i'm not really familiar with this stuff. i know for my scholarship (and probably for many other people here) i have to maintain a 3.0, which is a B. i've always been a good student, but i know law school is an entirely different game. part of me isn't sure if i want to gamble having a 75% tuition scholarship my first year and then lose it my last two years, especially when mercer offered me a full ride where all i have to do is remain in good standing.

but that's just me and what i've been thinking about lately.

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:08 pm

kmokeefe wrote:
cvargas84 wrote:I asked the admissions people about their curve for 1L. Here's what they said:

20-30% - A to A-
30-40% - B, B+ and B-
30-40% - C, C+ and C-
0-10% - D, D+ and D-

Any thoughts??

i have no idea what to make of the grading curve, since i'm not really familiar with this stuff. i know for my scholarship (and probably for many other people here) i have to maintain a 3.0, which is a B. i've always been a good student, but i know law school is an entirely different game. part of me isn't sure if i want to gamble having a 75% tuition scholarship my first year and then lose it my last two years, especially when mercer offered me a full ride where all i have to do is remain in good standing.

I was told most people are able to keep their schollys after 1L.

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:11 pm

cvargas84 wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:

20-30% - A to A-
30-40% - B, B+ and B-
30-40% - C, C+ and C-
0-10% - D, D+ and D-

Any thoughts??

I was told most people are able to keep their schollys after 1L.

i thought i found a page where it said something like 75% of people keep their scholarships. but i don't want to say it for sure until i find that page again. so i'm trying to find it.

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:13 pm

Mr. Petkus from Admis said a 3.0 is a B average.

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:13 pm

Here it is

http://www.law.msu.edu/admissions/schol ... newal.html

the numbers definitely are not awful by any means. so that's why i have to decide for myself whether or not it's worth the gamble.

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:22 pm

kmokeefe wrote:Here it is

the numbers definitely are not awful by any means. so that's why i have to decide for myself whether or not it's worth the gamble.

I don't think it's impossible to do well. I think we'll have to study a lot, but we're not even talking of making top 10% here. I think it's doable.

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:34 pm

cvargas84 wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:Here it is

I don't think it's impossible to do well. I think we'll have to study a lot, but we're not even talking of making top 10% here. I think it's doable.

Oh yes, studying a lot is going to be a must. I've heard that from like 10 different people who all went to very different law schools.

30somethingJD

Postby 30somethingJD » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:16 pm

cvargas84 wrote:
30somethingJD wrote:In via status checker. I, unlike everyone else on here, did not receive a phone call and my numbers are within their scholly requirments. My status checker just says "admitted". Although I was one of those who got the "Why MSU" essay request. (I submitted it during Thanksgiving break) Anybody else status checker just say "Admitted"?

My guess is the admissions person that imputed the info did so before someone called you. I got the call first and just today (almost a week after being admitted) my status changed to "admitted with scholarship."

Yeah I really hope so because I have not read of one person on here who didn't get a call and I'm really going to be upset if I don't get some money after they emailed/snail mailed/called saying "with your numbers were confident u can get $$$ .. pleas apply" LOL

30somethingJD

Postby 30somethingJD » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:11 pm

Ok .. so now my status checker just changed to "admitted with scholarship". Yeaaaaaaaaaaa.... Now I just need the phone call to find out how much. Anticipation is killing me.

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:14 pm

30somethingJD wrote:Ok .. so now my status checker just changed to "admitted with scholarship". Yeaaaaaaaaaaa.... Now I just need the phone call to find out how much. Anticipation is killing me.

congrats! maybe you could try calling and asking? they've always been pretty friendly and accessible from my experience/from what i hear.

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:20 pm

Hey all, looking to apply later on this week and am within the accepted range w/ scholarship. My problem is that I'm from out of state (Florida) and was wondering if the degree would be transferrable, with any worth, to practice in Florida after graduation? Not meaning if I'd be able to practice but if I'd have any job opportunities in Florida with a MS degree.

accidentalhippy

Postby accidentalhippy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:53 pm

Prospect wrote:Hey all, looking to apply later on this week and am within the accepted range w/ scholarship. My problem is that I'm from out of state (Florida) and was wondering if the degree would be transferrable, with any worth, to practice in Florida after graduation? Not meaning if I'd be able to practice but if I'd have any job opportunities in Florida with a MS degree.

So, you have an MS degree and would like to earn a JD at MSU before returning to Florida? Or did you drop the U above? :)

I did a search on the Legal Employment forum and didn't see any recent info about MSU. Do you have contacts in the Florida market? Maybe you can work it so that you spend the bulk of your summers there, thereby increasing your odds.

Good luck with your applications!

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Prospect wrote:Hey all, looking to apply later on this week and am within the accepted range w/ scholarship. My problem is that I'm from out of state (Florida) and was wondering if the degree would be transferrable, with any worth, to practice in Florida after graduation? Not meaning if I'd be able to practice but if I'd have any job opportunities in Florida with a MS degree.

I've always been under the impression (based on reading various things on TLS forum) that an MSU JD probably won't take you out of the midwest area, unless you had specific connections in Florida or job offers that just required that you get a JD or something.

m5talerico

Postby m5talerico » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:39 pm

cvargas84 wrote:
m5talerico wrote:I applied to MSU on 11/11/2011, received a call of acceptance on 12/2/11, with a 25% scholarship. My numbers are a 3.03 GPA and a 160 LSAT. I am not sure if this helps anyone, but wanted to give you guys some information about the scholarship stuff. I am originally from MI and my mother is a MSU graduate. I am not sure if they consider legacy or not, and if that helped my chances...

congrats! will you be attending?

I have decided I will be attending. :)
I received my official acceptance letter today, which indicated that I must maintain a 2.80 GPA to keep my scholarship. They went on to explain that around 65% of all students maintain a 2.80 or higher GPA. Just an FYI for all you guys out there.

30somethingJD

Postby 30somethingJD » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:59 pm

kmokeefe wrote:
30somethingJD wrote:Ok .. so now my status checker just changed to "admitted with scholarship". Yeaaaaaaaaaaa.... Now I just need the phone call to find out how much. Anticipation is killing me.

congrats! maybe you could try calling and asking? they've always been pretty friendly and accessible from my experience/from what i hear.

Thanks kmokeefe.. I will probably call tomorrow afternoon if I have not heard anything by then.

30somethingJD

Postby 30somethingJD » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:09 am

kmokeefe wrote:

I've always been under the impression (based on reading various things on TLS forum) that an MSU JD probably won't take you out of the midwest area, unless you had specific connections in Florida or job offers that just required that you get a JD or something.

I completely agree. I am in Florida as well and I think you would have a MILLION times better chance of practicing in Fl if you go to school here. I dont know what your numbers are, but if there good enough to get a scholly from MSU then your should be able to get into a decent school in Fl. decent = (Miami or FIU for South Fl) (UF, FSU, Stetson for North and Central Fl) IMHO. All the attorneys/judges I have met and know of come from these schools except for 1 Duke alum, and 1 Mercer alum. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

brad402

Postby brad402 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:51 pm

a
Last edited by brad402 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

accidentalhippy

Postby accidentalhippy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:02 pm

brad402 wrote:I had to complete the Why MSU? essay. I just received full tuition with the King Scholars Program. It will be hard to turn down I think.

Congratulations!

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Has anybody received their acceptance package? The 75% scholly looks really hard to turn down.

eboston

Postby eboston » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:18 pm

I haven't received my admission packet either. I'm hoping it comes tomorrow!

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Just wondering, my status has been "Awaiting Hard Copy from LSAC" since 11/29. Should I be concerned?

jnelsi

Postby jnelsi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:03 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:Just wondering, my status has been "Awaiting Hard Copy from LSAC" since 11/29. Should I be concerned?

Been waiting since 12/1 myself....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”