Michigan State c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
neeko

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:54 pm

Opie wrote:I got the dreaded "why MSU" request. They pretty much called my bluff. I have no ties to Michigan and don't want to practice there or even go to school there. I like MSU a lot, but considering I'm already in at Iowa, I probably won't write the essay.

What is more beneficial to everyone else? Withdraw? Or just not write the essay and let them ding me thus improving their selectivity?

I wrote the essay and they held me.
Last edited by neeko on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

accidentalhippy

Postby accidentalhippy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:12 pm

cvargas84 wrote:
accidentalhippy wrote:I found out by voicemail yesterday that I was admitted with full scholarship; my first admission thus far. I'm very excited and would love to start networking with other admits, particularly those who are also parents and making a career change.

Also admitted yesterday! And also a non-trad, 27, married, two kids :)

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the official letter and ASW details. Are you in MI now?

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:28 pm

accidentalhippy wrote:
cvargas84 wrote:
accidentalhippy wrote:I found out by voicemail yesterday that I was admitted with full scholarship; my first admission thus far. I'm very excited and would love to start networking with other admits, particularly those who are also parents and making a career change.

Also admitted yesterday! And also a non-trad, 27, married, two kids :)

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the official letter and ASW details. Are you in MI now?

I am. I live about an hour away from EL (about 30 miles north of Detroit). Just checked the mail and nothing yet. I'm guessing next week for the packets.

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:33 pm

Opie wrote:I got the dreaded "why MSU" request. They pretty much called my bluff. I have no ties to Michigan and don't want to practice there or even go to school there. I like MSU a lot, but considering I'm already in at Iowa, I probably won't write the essay.

What is more beneficial to everyone else? Withdraw? Or just not write the essay and let them ding me thus improving their selectivity?

If you have no intention of going, I don't see why you would send the essay. They are trying to weed out people who don't really want to attend because of their numbers (rightfully so, imo) so unless it's a real possibility for you, I would not bother. Instead, if you are determined to attend or at least are strongly considering it, I would write the essay, try to establish rapport with the admissions people by asking questions, expressing interest, emails and even calls. I did all of this and was accepted 2 days after applying.

jnelsi

Postby jnelsi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:45 am

Anyone dealing with the "awaiting hard copies from LSAC" status situation? Any idea how long this generally takes? My status hasn't changed in a little over a week and I was just curious how long it normally takes for the paperwork to get from PA to MI... :roll:

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:52 am

jnelsi wrote:Anyone dealing with the "awaiting hard copies from LSAC" status situation? Any idea how long this generally takes? My status hasn't changed in a little over a week and I was just curious how long it normally takes for the paperwork to get from PA to MI... :roll:

Took about two weeks for me...

jnelsi

Postby jnelsi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:01 am

CaptAdams wrote:
jnelsi wrote:Anyone dealing with the "awaiting hard copies from LSAC" status situation? Any idea how long this generally takes? My status hasn't changed in a little over a week and I was just curious how long it normally takes for the paperwork to get from PA to MI... :roll:

Sigh...thanks for the info, Capt!

game6

Postby game6 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:12 am

jnelsi wrote:
CaptAdams wrote:

Hey jnelsi, fellow St. John's student here. Good luck!

jnelsi

Postby jnelsi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:19 am

game6 wrote:
jnelsi wrote:
CaptAdams wrote:

Hey jnelsi, fellow St. John's student here. Good luck!

Hey there fellow Johnnie! which campus are you on?? Good luck to you, too!!

steepair

Postby steepair » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:25 pm

just got a phone call from the dean...in with a full-tuition scholarship! i'm from CA and the prospect of MI winters scares me....but a full ride certainly does make the prospect a little warmer.

any current students with advice on where to live near campus? preferably NOT surrounded by too many undergrads...

jnelsi

Postby jnelsi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:10 pm

steepair wrote:just got a phone call from the dean...in with a full-tuition scholarship! i'm from CA and the prospect of MI winters scares me....but a full ride certainly does make the prospect a little warmer.

any current students with advice on where to live near campus? preferably NOT surrounded by too many undergrads...

Congrats! That's great. I'm still waiting for my hard copies to arrive there from LSAC! If I get accepted I'll be coming from NY and in same boat you are looking for a quiet place!! Happy hunting!

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:23 pm

steepair wrote:just got a phone call from the dean...in with a full-tuition scholarship! i'm from CA and the prospect of MI winters scares me....but a full ride certainly does make the prospect a little warmer.

Congrats on the acceptance I'm from Cali and I'm afraid of the weather too. Anyone got insight on how brutal it is?

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:00 pm

tooswolle wrote:

Congrats on the acceptance I'm from Cali and I'm afraid of the weather too. Anyone got insight on how brutal it is?

I moved to the Northeast from Chile and adjusted. You really just get used to it. Since everything (buildings) has central heat these days it's only cold when you walk outside. shoveling snow is probably the worst aspect, I would think.

game6

Postby game6 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:36 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I'm down for some epic snow fights!

jnelsi

Postby jnelsi » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:20 am

game6 wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I'm down for some epic snow fights!

If I get there count me in!

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:27 am

Sounds fun! Would definitely be down to take some people out. Fair warning I got a gun on me haha

m5talerico

Postby m5talerico » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:32 pm

I applied to MSU on 11/11/2011, received a call of acceptance on 12/2/11, with a 25% scholarship. My numbers are a 3.03 GPA and a 160 LSAT. I am not sure if this helps anyone, but wanted to give you guys some information about the scholarship stuff. I am originally from MI and my mother is a MSU graduate. I am not sure if they consider legacy or not, and if that helped my chances...

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:47 pm

m5talerico wrote:I applied to MSU on 11/11/2011, received a call of acceptance on 12/2/11, with a 25% scholarship. My numbers are a 3.03 GPA and a 160 LSAT. I am not sure if this helps anyone, but wanted to give you guys some information about the scholarship stuff. I am originally from MI and my mother is a MSU graduate. I am not sure if they consider legacy or not, and if that helped my chances...

congrats! will you be attending?

Rdubs

Postby Rdubs » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:04 am

As a current student, the fall semester is a breeze weather-wise, but when that spring semester rolls around.... have fun! The cold isn't bad, it is getting to class in blizzard-like conditions that bites. That being said, there is a parking garage that is literally ten feet from the Law College, so if you don't mind paying for parking the weather won't be too bad.

As far as living near campus goes, your best bet to avoid undergrads and to save money on rent is to get a place in Lansing instead of East Lansing. You might be another mile or two from campus at most if you go that route. Or... you could live in Owen Hall, a residence hall specifically for graduate students, that is a five minute walk away from the Law College.

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:36 am

Rdubs wrote:

As a current student, the fall semester is a breeze weather-wise, but when that spring semester rolls around.... have fun! The cold isn't bad, it is getting to class in blizzard-like conditions that bites. That being said, there is a parking garage that is literally ten feet from the Law College, so if you don't mind paying for parking the weather won't be too bad.

As far as living near campus goes, your best bet to avoid undergrads and to save money on rent is to get a place in Lansing instead of East Lansing. You might be another mile or two from campus at most if you go that route. Or... you could live in Owen Hall, a residence hall specifically for graduate students, that is a five minute walk away from the Law College.

Parking garage? I was told the closest parking was 20 minutes and a commuter bus away? Is this true?

jw316

Postby jw316 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:21 am

cvargas84 wrote:
Rdubs wrote:

Parking garage? I was told the closest parking was 20 minutes and a commuter bus away? Is this true?

Maybe the commuter lot on Farm Lane or Lot 91? MSU really hates to encourage parking (at least at the undergrad level) so I can't say I'm all that surprised you were told that. I think Rdubs was referring to the Shaw Lane ramp though...it's located right next to the MSU College of Law and the Law Library/the Business College Complex...used to park there all the time when I would sneak into the law library and study there.

Also echoing his sentiment, fall semester normally really isn't bad, and this year was kind of incredible in terms of how warm it stayed so late in the year. But when we return in January for spring semester? Tundra and blizzards until April :(

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:42 pm

so does anyone know what the curve is and how they determine sections? I am concerned about section stacking, and what their grading curve is because I'll be on scholarship.

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:46 pm

jw316 wrote:
cvargas84 wrote:
Rdubs wrote:

Maybe the commuter lot on Farm Lane or Lot 91? MSU really hates to encourage parking (at least at the undergrad level) so I can't say I'm all that surprised you were told that. I think Rdubs was referring to the Shaw Lane ramp though...it's located right next to the MSU College of Law and the Law Library/the Business College Complex...used to park there all the time when I would sneak into the law library and study there.

Also echoing his sentiment, fall semester normally really isn't bad, and this year was kind of incredible in terms of how warm it stayed so late in the year. But when we return in January for spring semester? Tundra and blizzards until April :(

I looked online (http://police.msu.edu/permits.asp) and it states that only residents of certain areas are allowed to park at Shaw... any advice for a commuter? I need to find some method to park my car next to the school because I'll already be commuting 70 minutes each way, and reaaaaally don't want to add another 20 to that :(

accidentalhippy

Postby accidentalhippy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:14 pm

cvargas84 wrote:I looked online (http://police.msu.edu/permits.asp) and it states that only residents of certain areas are allowed to park at Shaw... any advice for a commuter? I need to find some method to park my car next to the school because I'll already be commuting 70 minutes each way, and reaaaaally don't want to add another 20 to that :(

Hi cv,

I don't know if you received a fellowship, but if so, then perhaps this paragraph offers some hope for the parking garage:
"Fellowship recipients who receive an MSU Fellowship of $1,000 or more per semester qualify for a graduate assistant parking permit. Qualifying fellowship recipients may not register on-line. They must go to the Parking Office with proof of their MSU Fellowship in hand beginning Monday, August 22, 2011. You must also take your MSU Spartan ID card and your current vehicle registration."

And then a bit further down, there is:
"The Parking Office will consider special parking requests from students (including freshmen) for parking privileges other than what is normally issued due to extenuating circumstances, which may include family-, work- or medical-related issues. Persons are, however, encouraged to use existing parking and transportation options [bus (CATA), pay lots, disabled parking spaces (with valid disabled parking placard or plate issued through the Secretary of State or Department of Motor Vehicles, etc.)]." Hopefully having a 70-minute commute and the need to quickly access your vehicle in the event of a family-emergency will qualify you for a special parking request.

Also, I'm waiting until an ASW and the fate of the rest of my applications before I decide to go to MSU for sure (but it is VERY tempting, particularly given my excitement over the urban ag practicum and forthcoming urban ag legal clinic), but if I do end up going, I expect to live close enough to a bus stop (or even walking distance). If my future housemates are amenable (as I'm hoping to join or establish a co-op for student parents), you'd be welcome to park chez nous and bus/walk it in with me.

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:39 am

accidentalhippy wrote:
cvargas84 wrote:I looked online (http://police.msu.edu/permits.asp) and it states that only residents of certain areas are allowed to park at Shaw... any advice for a commuter? I need to find some method to park my car next to the school because I'll already be commuting 70 minutes each way, and reaaaaally don't want to add another 20 to that :(

Hi cv,

I don't know if you received a fellowship, but if so, then perhaps this paragraph offers some hope for the parking garage:
"Fellowship recipients who receive an MSU Fellowship of $1,000 or more per semester qualify for a graduate assistant parking permit. Qualifying fellowship recipients may not register on-line. They must go to the Parking Office with proof of their MSU Fellowship in hand beginning Monday, August 22, 2011. You must also take your MSU Spartan ID card and your current vehicle registration."

And then a bit further down, there is:
"The Parking Office will consider special parking requests from students (including freshmen) for parking privileges other than what is normally issued due to extenuating circumstances, which may include family-, work- or medical-related issues. Persons are, however, encouraged to use existing parking and transportation options [bus (CATA), pay lots, disabled parking spaces (with valid disabled parking placard or plate issued through the Secretary of State or Department of Motor Vehicles, etc.)]." Hopefully having a 70-minute commute and the need to quickly access your vehicle in the event of a family-emergency will qualify you for a special parking request.

Also, I'm waiting until an ASW and the fate of the rest of my applications before I decide to go to MSU for sure (but it is VERY tempting, particularly given my excitement over the urban ag practicum and forthcoming urban ag legal clinic), but if I do end up going, I expect to live close enough to a bus stop (or even walking distance). If my future housemates are amenable (as I'm hoping to join or establish a co-op for student parents), you'd be welcome to park chez nous and bus/walk it in with me.

I don't think I have a fellowship, but I will ask for an exception to be made. Thanks!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”