Michigan State c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby Opie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:44 pm

motivation wrote:If I am being re-reviewed in february, then should I send a LOCI? (or perhaps a why MSU essay?)

Absolutely. If you haven't maxed LORs, that can be helpful too.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:37 pm

30somethingJD wrote:I got the "why MSU" request as well. I emailed it to admissions durring Thanksgiving weekend and then on 12/1 my status changed from "additional documents requested" to "app complete" but nothing since. I agree that I believe they made this request to strong candidates who do not appear to have ties to Michigan. My numbers are right on the 50% marks but I live in the south and made no reference to Mi in my personal statement. I was however born in Michigan and still have a lot of family there so I did talk about that rather extensively in my "why MSU" essay :wink: So now I suppose we just have to see if they YP us!

Yea I agree with you completely. I'm from the south west and move over there would be insane. I even acknowledged it. But I wrote about my goals and how a school like MSU can help me get there and how no debt can put me in a position. It would suck to get yp though. Btw I got the request on the 22nd submitted the 23rd and didn't get a complete since 11/29. Let's hope for some luck.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:53 am

tooswolle wrote:
30somethingJD wrote:I got the "why MSU" request as well. I emailed it to admissions durring Thanksgiving weekend and then on 12/1 my status changed from "additional documents requested" to "app complete" but nothing since. I agree that I believe they made this request to strong candidates who do not appear to have ties to Michigan. My numbers are right on the 50% marks but I live in the south and made no reference to Mi in my personal statement. I was however born in Michigan and still have a lot of family there so I did talk about that rather extensively in my "why MSU" essay :wink: So now I suppose we just have to see if they YP us!

Yea I agree with you completely. I'm from the south west and move over there would be insane. I even acknowledged it. But I wrote about my goals and how a school like MSU can help me get there and how no debt can put me in a position. It would suck to get yp though. Btw I got the request on the 22nd submitted the 23rd and didn't get a complete since 11/29. Let's hope for some luck.

Mine went to complete as soon as I sent it in. Weird.

kma423

Postby kma423 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:26 am

game6 wrote:
Leighmak wrote:I was admitted with full scholarship...never got the Why MSU email.

Same here.

Same thing for me, haven't received the letter yet but status checker shows it. Do you know if status checker would have included Kings Scholar or not?

neeko

Postby neeko » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 am

My status checker hadn't changed in about 6 weeks, so I emailed them today. She informed me that I was being held and would know by Feb 15th.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:45 pm

neeko wrote:My status checker hadn't changed in about 6 weeks, so I emailed them today. She informed me that I was being held and would know by Feb 15th.

Aww.. That sucks. You'll be in at Iowa by then though and you can tell them to eat it.

msuz

Postby msuz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:00 pm

Opie wrote:
tooswolle wrote:Im hoping that why MSU request wasn't because they are thinking of yping me. This cycle I applied to reaches and targets as well as schools that give out good scholarships since I'm waging the pros and cons for both and MSU would be good on a full ride or close to one.

You could mention in you essay that you are debt averse and thought MSU would be very cost effective for you.

FWIW, I think MSU is a deal because it is rising so fast. You're paying for the current ranking, but you'll get a degree from a school with a higher one.

I think that most people on these boards will probably say that the bolded doesnt matter; its the whole "everything ranked 50-100 is the same" thing, unless you are talking about a particular region. They will also probably say that most MSU grads will be confined to Michigan, with a select few at the top of the class going other places, at least for the forseeable future (sprinkled in with the alarmist/apocalyptical "never go to law school crowd" that will say you should just get a job at target, law school is suicide). And I think that generally I agree. I think that most people who have a choice between UM sticker and MSU full-ride will go with UM, even if they are debt-averse.

msuz

Postby msuz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:03 pm

kma423 wrote:
game6 wrote:
Leighmak wrote:I was admitted with full scholarship...never got the Why MSU email.

Same here.

Same thing for me, haven't received the letter yet but status checker shows it. Do you know if status checker would have included Kings Scholar or not?

I know of at least two people who had status checker say "Accepted with Scholarship" and got the 75%, and another who's said "Accepted with Full Scholarship" who got the normal 100%.

ralph_pootawn

Postby ralph_pootawn » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:17 pm

got the why MSU email. probably just going to withdraw.

edit: main reason I applied is because they called me a few times and had sent me tons of mail talking about schollys.

northerniowan

Postby northerniowan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:25 pm

msuz wrote:
kma423 wrote:
game6 wrote:

Same here.

I know of at least two people who had status checker say "Accepted with Scholarship" and got the 75%, and another who's said "Accepted with Full Scholarship" who got the normal 100%.

Mine said "Accepted with Scholarship" and got a 50% scholarship.

eboston

Postby eboston » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:27 pm

In with a 50% scholarship! Just received a phone call.

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:53 am

Status checker updated to re-review in February today.
Last edited by neeko on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jwb0711

Postby Jwb0711 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Phone call this morning, admitted with 50% scholarship. Supposedly 2.0 stipulation requirement. :)

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:53 pm

neeko wrote:Status checker updated to re-review in February today. How annoying.

Same. I plan on withdrawing.

I've been admitted to schools ranked much higher with better job outlooks, but MSU still has decent opportunities.

Congrats on those who are in with schollys!

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:54 pm

cdelgado wrote:
neeko wrote:Status checker updated to re-review in February today. How annoying.

I've been admitted to schools ranked much higher with better job outlooks, but MSU still has decent opportunities.

Same here, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Makes no sense.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:57 pm

neeko wrote:
cdelgado wrote:

Same here, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Makes no sense.

No it does not. Very disappointing.

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:46 pm

I was accepted yesterday with 50% scholly. I am curious, to those of you that are being held, what does it mean? Also, someone mentioned a 2.0 to keep scholly, I have not received my packet yet since they called me yesterday, and my status checker still shows as complete, and I've heard from other people that their requirement is 3.0?

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:49 pm

cvargas84 wrote:I was accepted yesterday with 50% scholly. I am curious, to those of you that are being held, what does it mean? Also, someone mentioned a 2.0 to keep scholly, I have not received my packet yet since they called me yesterday, and my status checker still shows as complete, and I've heard from other people that their requirement is 3.0?

I haven't received my packet yet either but I got a 75% scholly and they told me on the phone that I had to keep a minimum of a 3.0. I'd love if it was a 2.0 though.

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:54 pm

cvargas84 wrote:I was accepted yesterday with 50% scholly. I am curious, to those of you that are being held, what does it mean? Also, someone mentioned a 2.0 to keep scholly, I have not received my packet yet since they called me yesterday, and my status checker still shows as complete, and I've heard from other people that their requirement is 3.0?

From what I can gather, it means wait until February for the app to be looked at. No idea why.

accidentalhippy

Postby accidentalhippy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:04 pm

game6 wrote:

Same here.

Me three. I'm in WA, but my PS addressed why I am interested in MSU.

I'm very pleased, particularly since I want to relocate to MI for the long haul.

game6

Postby game6 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:07 pm

accidentalhippy wrote:
game6 wrote:

Same here.

Me three. I'm in WA, but my PS addressed why I am interested in MSU.

I'm very pleased, particularly since I want to relocate to MI for the long haul.

I also briefly addressed by I am interested in MSU, guess that helped. That's something to keep in mind for any of you who haven't yet applied.

accidentalhippy

Postby accidentalhippy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:26 pm

I found out by voicemail yesterday that I was admitted with full scholarship; my first admission thus far. I'm very excited and would love to start networking with other admits, particularly those who are also parents and making a career change.

cvargas84

Postby cvargas84 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:47 pm

accidentalhippy wrote:I found out by voicemail yesterday that I was admitted with full scholarship; my first admission thus far. I'm very excited and would love to start networking with other admits, particularly those who are also parents and making a career change.

Also admitted yesterday! And also a non-trad, 27, married, two kids :)

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:49 pm

I got the dreaded "why MSU" request. They pretty much called my bluff. I have no ties to Michigan and don't want to practice there or even go to school there. I like MSU a lot, but considering I'm already in at Iowa, I probably won't write the essay.

What is more beneficial to everyone else? Withdraw? Or just not write the essay and let them ding me thus improving their selectivity?

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:53 pm

In yesterday with a 75% scholarship. Definitely feels good graduating with limited debt. Anyone know if they are willing to negotiate?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”