Michigan State c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CaptAdams

Bronze

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Post by CaptAdams » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Got the "Why MSU" request today.

UWSP2012

New

Post by UWSP2012 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Has anyone been to East Lansing? Got the 75% as well...

Rdubs

New

Post by Rdubs » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:54 am

UWSP2012 wrote:Has anyone been to East Lansing? Got the 75% as well...
I live there. What's up?

NCGuy

Gold

Post by NCGuy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:16 pm

Anybody else get in?

I got in with a full tuition scholarship. It looks really tempting and I'm 99% sure I'm going to take it.
Last edited by NCGuy on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

cvargas84

New

Post by cvargas84 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:50 am

I'm in!! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

30somethingJD

New

Post by 30somethingJD » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:03 am

cvargas84 wrote:I'm in!! :)
Congrats :D

cvargas84

New

Post by cvargas84 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:53 am

30somethingJD wrote:
cvargas84 wrote:I'm in!! :)
Congrats :D
Thanks! Are you going too?

UWSP2012

New

Post by UWSP2012 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:48 pm

Just wondering about the area around the college?

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:18 pm

tooswolle wrote:Just got my admissions packet. I have a 2.5 stipulation on my scholarship. It's pretty awesome to say the least. Anyone know how MSU looks like to employers in MI? I'm seriously considering this school and the move to MI.
Disclaimer: I am from Michigan, considered MSU Law (eventually decided to go elsewhere, but did attend admitted students day), looked for 1L and 2L SA jobs in MI

Thoughts: First of all, it's important to know that the economy of Michigan is still in the dumpster. It's getting better but still has a long way to go, and this has a direct impact on the law markets of the state. Also, it's noteworthy that the state is one of the largest producers of law grads (average class sizes: UM-360, MSU-300, UDM-250, Cooley-1000+, Wayne State-180). Obviously not everyone stays in Michigan upon graduation, especially UM grads, but as the economy is struggling across the country, more and more law grads from MI schools are looking to stay.

With that being said, UM rules the state. Michigan Law dominates the legal community here, and the solid majority of firm jobs in the state will go to UM grads. Even though most UM people go out of state, usually 40-60 stay in state each year. That makes it difficult for anyone (even some UM grads) to get jobs in Michigan (combined with the fact that there are four other law schools in the state--not even mentioning kids from MI/with solid MI ties that come from T14 schools).

Michigan State does best in Lansing and Mid-Michigan, and Grand Rapids. It does alright in Detroit, but it's difficult to compete with Wayne and UDM right there in Metro Detroit. A very few amount of kids will get large firm jobs in Michigan and maybe a few in Chicago, but the reality is that it's difficult for everyone right now. I decided not to go to MSU because the money wasn't right and I found the employment stats (LinkRemoved) a little frightening. With that being said, the facility was very nice and East Lansing is a great place to live and study. Hope that helps, good luck with your decisions!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NCGuy

Gold

Post by NCGuy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm mainly interested in working in government and would ideally work for the state or federal government. In fact, one of my main criteria for a law school was that it be close to a state capitol so I could do internships/externships with the state government. Given the relatively low salaries associated with government jobs, the fact that I could get my law degree with little debt is a huge attraction to me.

I am also very interested in the Washington DC program.
Last edited by NCGuy on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

cvargas84

New

Post by cvargas84 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:22 pm

new facebook group for MSU class of 2015- https://www.facebook.com/groups/316147838419056/

bflint30

New

Post by bflint30 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:22 am

hey all,

Got my decision from MSU a while ago, I applied on a whim after they waived my fee and set me a stack of brochures and such. They offered a 75% scholarship plus a 5k scholarship on top of that for the first year. Not sure if I will go, have no ties to the Michigan region and am hoping for admission to other schools. The academics are impressive though and the relatively low cost of living compared to what I am used to (seattle area) is very appealing. Does anyone know about the job prospects? The only stuff I have read or heard about have been mundane statistics and conjecture.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:28 am

bflint30 wrote:hey all,

Got my decision from MSU a while ago, I applied on a whim after they waived my fee and set me a stack of brochures and such. They offered a 75% scholarship plus a 5k scholarship on top of that for the first year. Not sure if I will go, have no ties to the Michigan region and am hoping for admission to other schools. The academics are impressive though and the relatively low cost of living compared to what I am used to (seattle area) is very appealing. Does anyone know about the job prospects? The only stuff I have read or heard about have been mundane statistics and conjecture.
The short version is that the prospects are okay in Michigan and not great elsewhere. If you do really well, you may have the ability to penetrate markets in the surrounding states. You most likely won't be able to get a job on either coast, and biglaw is mostly out except for the best of the best.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:45 am

bflint30 wrote:hey all,

To understand the job statistics that michigan state put up, look at the post Paul Campos has explaining it on his blog insidethelawschool scam. There are some excellent comments on the stats too. It was within the last few days.

edit - actually it was the last post of 2011, and it refers to a thread on this forum! I didn't remember that from when I read the post - I was reading a number of posts on Professor Campos' blog. Not sure how I feel about him using posts from this forum, but he posts here too, so maybe a good relationship can spring up between the TLS and his blog. [sorry for the digression]

I am not personally familiar with the Michigan market though I have close relatives in the state. Through them I have heard how difficult the economy is in Michigan. But they enjoy living there a great deal, though my cousin who grew up outside Detroit and went to school at Michigan State for engineering had problems dealing with the extreme cold and snow. They do love Michigan though!

knotts

New

Post by knotts » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Got in with 75%. I'm from CA, but I think I may take it. Anyone have any input on the housing situation?

jnelsi

New

Post by jnelsi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:05 pm

knotts wrote:Got in with 75%. I'm from CA, but I think I may take it. Anyone have any input on the housing situation?
Congrats! If u din't mind me asking - when did your file go complete?

accidentalhippy

New

Post by accidentalhippy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:36 pm

knotts wrote:Got in with 75%. I'm from CA, but I think I may take it. Anyone have any input on the housing situation?
Housing in East Lansing is really inexpensive. There are also, apparently some apartment complexes that reserve buildings for law students. Other options include a network of housing co-ops in large houses in the area, that often include meal plans. In one of the webinars, Mr. Hutchinson mentioned putting together a resource that demonstrates how the COA can be lowered through roommate-living and other cost saving measures. I haven't checked to see if that's been posted on their website yet.

Where are you from in CA? I grew up in San Jose, back when there were still orchards and family farms. And did my undergrad in San Diego, before it become South LA. Good times.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

knotts

New

Post by knotts » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:59 pm

jnelsi wrote:
Congrats! If u din't mind me asking - when did your file go complete?

I got the "Why MSU?" request late November, but put off doing it until late December because I absolutely hate those types of essays. I got a response about 2 weeks after submitting it.

knotts

New

Post by knotts » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:03 pm

accidentalhippy wrote:
Housing in East Lansing is really inexpensive. There are also, apparently some apartment complexes that reserve buildings for law students. Other options include a network of housing co-ops in large houses in the area, that often include meal plans. In one of the webinars, Mr. Hutchinson mentioned putting together a resource that demonstrates how the COA can be lowered through roommate-living and other cost saving measures. I haven't checked to see if that's been posted on their website yet.

Where are you from in CA? I grew up in San Jose, back when there were still orchards and family farms. And did my undergrad in San Diego, before it become South LA. Good times.
I'm from South San Jose (Almaden) and sounds like you might be as well or possibly east side?

I went to UCR for my undergrad and did the on-campus apartment thing for my first year, which worked out well since I had my own room and bathroom but also a roommate so I wasn't entirely bored. I think I might have to look into the apartment complexes reserved for law students. Do you happen to know the names of some reserved complexes?

accidentalhippy

New

Post by accidentalhippy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:26 pm

knotts wrote:
I'm from South San Jose (Almaden) and sounds like you might be as well or possibly east side?

I went to UCR for my undergrad and did the on-campus apartment thing for my first year, which worked out well since I had my own room and bathroom but also a roommate so I wasn't entirely bored. I think I might have to look into the apartment complexes reserved for law students. Do you happen to know the names of some reserved complexes?
I grew up near Oakridge Mall, then Almaden; graduated from Gunderson.

I don't know the names of the complexes yet, but I bet if you contact the MSU housing office or maybe the LS Office of Student Engagement, they can steer you the right way. The hippy in me needs a garden, so I hope to rent a house with one or two other students with munchkins or munchkin-friendly 'tudes. We shall see.

Are you going to any of the Admitted Students Days?

knotts

New

Post by knotts » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:35 pm

accidentalhippy wrote:
Are you going to any of the Admitted Students Days?

I have to look into it more. It's pretty expensive for flight + hotel, and if it's just a meet & greet with a campus tour I don't think it would be worth it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dead Parrot

New

Post by Dead Parrot » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:33 pm

I applied over the weekend. 3.2/160 OOS from MD

minkopolis

New

Post by minkopolis » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Well, as of today, I can officially join the "I got the 'why MSU' request" club. Grrr.

Of course, I'm from the south, so that could have something to do with it. But I'm also an LGBT applicant from the south, so they pretty much should have assumed that I want to get as far away from that region as possible.

Lindsey4468

New

Post by Lindsey4468 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Did anyone else get pushed to "Re review in Feb" as their status? They did this to me back in November. I'm baffled.... Ive already been admitted at Colorado, penn state, Kansas and Missouri. But I was deferred at MSU? weird logistics.

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:45 pm

Lindsey4468 wrote:Did anyone else get pushed to "Re review in Feb" as their status? They did this to me back in November. I'm baffled.... Ive already been admitted at Colorado, penn state, Kansas and Missouri. But I was deferred at MSU? weird logistics.
Little thing called YP. Clearly thinking you're going to pick one of your better options and figuring you'll withdraw before they have to include you in their yield statistics

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”