Seattle University c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawlaw87

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby lawlaw87 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:46 am

clarsen wrote:
akakak wrote:
lawlaw87 wrote:is anyone taking Criminal Law during summer?

I'm not taking it due to scheduling issues, though it does sound like a nice way to transition. However, when I did a tour with a current student she said she felt at a greater advantage for not having taken it in the summer. She told me that the summer course is typically taught by a visiting professor so you miss out on the opportunity to build a relationship and potential job reference for the future. I'm not sure how important that is in the long run but I thought I'd just share.

I actually have mixed opinions on taking Criminal Law in the summer, but overall I think it provides an advantage, and many of you who are currently admitted for Fall might have received an email/letter from me regarding this very topic. I think it is a great opportunity to learn to be a law student before being thrown to the wolves. You learn how to prepare for class and exams with one course, as opposed to five. Additionally, you get to find out with one class if your study techniques need tweaking. Would you rather learn that you were doing things wrong and have four poor grades (no fall grade for Legal Writing), or only one? It's also great having three finals (again, no final for Legal Writing) in the Fall, while your friends who could not take Crim Law in the summer have four.

However, you have yet to take Legal Writing, and I think this is a disadvantage. Legal Writing not only prepares you for practice, but it is extremely relevant and useful on exams. I also think a potential drawback is the visiting professors. While they provide an opportunity to get a different perspective, because it is our first class, there is nothing to compare it to, so I think you lose some of the potential allure. The TAs are also unable to be as helpful because the professor is new to them, so they can't provide focused help because they don't know what the professor wants.

I think the benefits strongly outweigh the drawbacks, but I wanted to try and give a somewhat objective opinion.

Thanks for sharing, I decided to take the class in summer:) do you know when does the class start?

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:57 am

I believe day one for Summer Crim Law is 6/18. I'll be there as well (barring a change of heart in schools over the next couple of weeks).

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Was anyone else at the school on Friday?

akakak

Postby akakak » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:11 pm

neeko wrote:Was anyone else at the school on Friday?

yep. came in late and took a seat in the back. i found it pretty informative, I'm glad I went.

6lehderjets

Postby 6lehderjets » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 pm

How bad is traffic on I-90 in the morning and during rush hour?

clarsen

Postby clarsen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:35 pm

6lehderjets wrote:How bad is traffic on I-90 in the morning and during rush hour?

Within the last few months they added tolls to 520 (the other major route across Lake Washington) and this has substantially increased traffic across I90. Personally, I don't think I would want to make this commute. I guess it is better than Tacoma to Seattle and Everett to Seattle, but considering the cost of living on the eastside and that commute for law school...? No thank you. I've provided a link below that shows the average and current travel times for all the major routes in the greater Seattle area. If possible, you should take a look at this during the time you will be commuting.

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/seattle/traveltimes/

6lehderjets

Postby 6lehderjets » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:27 am

clarsen wrote:
6lehderjets wrote:How bad is traffic on I-90 in the morning and during rush hour?

Within the last few months they added tolls to 520 (the other major route across Lake Washington) and this has substantially increased traffic across I90. Personally, I don't think I would want to make this commute. I guess it is better than Tacoma to Seattle and Everett to Seattle, but considering the cost of living on the eastside and that commute for law school...? No thank you. I've provided a link below that shows the average and current travel times for all the major routes in the greater Seattle area. If possible, you should take a look at this during the time you will be commuting.

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/seattle/traveltimes/

Thanks for this. The commute is the scariest part. From what I have seen on CL, renting a place in Factoria is comparable to living in First Hill or Capital Hill. When you factor in commute costs, it's preferable to live in Seattle, but I have family in Bellevue and being close to them would be a plus.

I'd prefer to live on Capital Hill at the end of the day because it would be within walking distance of SU. But we'll see...

Also, I've heard that if you are getting off/on from Mercer Island you can drive in HOV lane regardless of the number of occupants. Is this true?

neeko

Postby neeko » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:57 am

Does anyone have the link for the class of 2015 facebook page?

lawlaw87

Postby lawlaw87 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Does anyone know when is the next open house? I haven't got my packet yet, and I wasn't able to find any information on their website!

6lehderjets

Postby 6lehderjets » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:50 pm

lawlaw87 wrote:Does anyone know when is the next open house? I haven't got my packet yet, and I wasn't able to find any information on their website!

I believe it's on March 30.

ZoonEchonLogon

Postby ZoonEchonLogon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:19 pm

6lehderjets wrote:
lawlaw87 wrote:Does anyone know when is the next open house? I haven't got my packet yet, and I wasn't able to find any information on their website!

It is March 30th. Anyone else going? I will be there.

6lehderjets

Postby 6lehderjets » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:15 pm

neeko wrote:Does anyone have the link for the class of 2015 facebook page?

I too am interested in this...

lawlaw87

Postby lawlaw87 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:51 pm

ZoonEchonLogon wrote:
6lehderjets wrote:

I really want to go, are we suppose to register?

ZoonEchonLogon

Postby ZoonEchonLogon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:13 pm

lawlaw87 wrote:
ZoonEchonLogon wrote:
6lehderjets wrote:

I really want to go, are we suppose to register?

Yeah, you are supposed to register. You should recieve an email about the upcoming dates sometime after your acceptance packet. You register through the email link.

6lehderjets

Postby 6lehderjets » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:01 am

Does SU provide a "Financial Aid info received" email or anything? Or do you not know anything until you get your financial aid award letter?

balancedaisy

Postby balancedaisy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:17 am

Interested in the facebook page as well.. Any link would be helpful. Question posted under Seattle University class of 2015 forum too...

balancedaisy

Postby balancedaisy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:56 am

Just learned about The Douglas at SU housing thats available for law students too. Anyone's thoughts? Anyone interested in forming roomate group (4-5 people)?

Lawntv12

Postby Lawntv12 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi there. Just checking in to see if there's been any movement on any pending applicantions out there today?

robwilke

Postby robwilke » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Lawntv12 wrote:Hi there. Just checking in to see if there's been any movement on any pending applicantions out there today?

Still waiting . . . complete 1/16. What's your complete date?

Lawntv12

Postby Lawntv12 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:55 pm

robwilke wrote:
Lawntv12 wrote:Hi there. Just checking in to see if there's been any movement on any pending applicantions out there today?

I actually went complete the exact same time as you. This actually makes it the 8th week right for when we should hear a decision right? Just curious, have you contacted the school recently to see if there's been any movement with your application?

robwilke

Postby robwilke » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Lawntv12 wrote:
robwilke wrote:

I actually went complete the exact same time as you. This actually makes it the 8th week right for when we should hear a decision right? Just curious, have you contacted the school recently to see if there's been any movement with your application?

I have not. I assume we'll hear a decision at the end of this week or the next.

Lawntv12

Postby Lawntv12 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:06 pm

robwilke wrote:
Lawntv12 wrote:
robwilke wrote:

I have not. I assume we'll hear a decision at the end of this week or the next.

Let's hope so. It feels like we've been waiting a long time to hear something about our status. I hope you hear something soon.

robwilke

Postby robwilke » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:13 pm

No doubt, it's been forever. Hope we both get some good news soon.

Lawntv12

Postby Lawntv12 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:20 pm

robwilke wrote:No doubt, it's been forever. Hope we both get some good news soon.

Thanks and you too. I hope you'll update once you hear some news (hopefully by tomorrow).

robwilke

Postby robwilke » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Lawntv12 wrote:
robwilke wrote:No doubt, it's been forever. Hope we both get some good news soon.

Thanks and you too. I hope you'll update once you hear some news (hopefully by tomorrow).

Word. I'll post once I hear something.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”