Seattle University c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Deadlights13

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby Deadlights13 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:55 am

Thanks so much corvid, I really appreciate it. This is the most comprehensive guide anyone could wish for! I have lived on Lewis for 9 years in Army housing and know absolutely nothing about the Seattle area, so I am going at this blind.

corvid

Postby corvid » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:27 am

Deadlights13 wrote:Thanks so much corvid, I really appreciate it. This is the most comprehensive guide anyone could wish for! I have lived on Lewis for 9 years in Army housing and know absolutely nothing about the Seattle area, so I am going at this blind.

No problem. The housing market in Washington is still crap so I am sure there are lots of options. Have you decided on SU? I saw you got into UW, very jealous.

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:25 pm

corvid wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:Thanks so much corvid, I really appreciate it. This is the most comprehensive guide anyone could wish for! I have lived on Lewis for 9 years in Army housing and know absolutely nothing about the Seattle area, so I am going at this blind.

No problem. The housing market in Washington is still crap so I am sure there are lots of options. Have you decided on SU? I saw you got into UW, very jealous.

I haven't made a decision yet. I need to visit the schools; see the classroom, check out the libraries, etc. I also need to find out how much tuition the GI bill will cover for each school. Seattle is private, so I think there is a cap on the benefit. I am heading up to UW today because my cousin is there with a visiting school competing in the Flotrack Husky classic. It will be my first visit to the campus, so I am excited to check it out.

clarsen

Postby clarsen » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Deadlights13 wrote:I haven't made a decision yet. I need to visit the schools; see the classroom, check out the libraries, etc. I also need to find out how much tuition the GI bill will cover for each school. Seattle is private, so I think there is a cap on the benefit. I am heading up to UW today because my cousin is there with a visiting school competing in the Flotrack Husky classic. It will be my first visit to the campus, so I am excited to check it out.

FWIW, I only applied to UW and SU because I was not in a position to relocate. I had my heart set on UW because I was born into a Husky household and grew up attending Husky football games. I wanted to be a Husky, but it just wasn't meant to be. I can't comment on the UW program, but given my limited experience at SU, I think UW would have been a mistake (for me). SU has surpassed all of my expectations. There is a very strong community feel within the law school, and I think a lot of that is due to the social justice culture that is at the heart of the law school. While there are many people (myself included) who are not at SU because of the social justice mission, it is still the focal point of the university, and the community reflects that. I am very much an introvert, but it's easy to break out and feel comfortable here, and this is a huge plus when randomly put on the spot in class.

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:13 pm

clarsen wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:I haven't made a decision yet. I need to visit the schools; see the classroom, check out the libraries, etc. I also need to find out how much tuition the GI bill will cover for each school. Seattle is private, so I think there is a cap on the benefit. I am heading up to UW today because my cousin is there with a visiting school competing in the Flotrack Husky classic. It will be my first visit to the campus, so I am excited to check it out.

FWIW, I only applied to UW and SU because I was not in a position to relocate. I had my heart set on UW because I was born into a Husky household and grew up attending Husky football games. I wanted to be a Husky, but it just wasn't meant to be. I can't comment on the UW program, but given my limited experience at SU, I think UW would have been a mistake (for me). SU has surpassed all of my expectations. There is a very strong community feel within the law school, and I think a lot of that is due to the social justice culture that is at the heart of the law school. While there are many people (myself included) who are not at SU because of the social justice mission, it is still the focal point of the university, and the community reflects that. I am very much an introvert, but it's easy to break out and feel comfortable here, and this is a huge plus when randomly put on the spot in class.

Actually, it's worth a lot- I appreciate your comments. I have been getting a lot of pressure from people saying I'm crazy for not dropping everything for UW and making a snap decision. I am extremely grateful I was accepted to UW, but I did not apply to Seattle as a "just in case"- I applied there because I believe in their mission and was impressed by what they have to offer. Also, two of my professors who have been fantastic mentors to me are JD Alumni from Seattle. So, yes I am struggling with the decision, but your comments are extremely helpful to me because it only validates that Seattle deserves the consideration. :)

rahrah

Postby rahrah » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:04 am

FINALLY!!! In via email on Friday. Complete 12/30. So... now when would I hear about scholarships?

chill

Postby chill » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:53 am

rahrah wrote:FINALLY!!! In via email on Friday. Complete 12/30. So... now when would I hear about scholarships?

Should be in your admissions packet, whenever it comes.

rahrah

Postby rahrah » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:51 pm

chill wrote:
rahrah wrote:FINALLY!!! In via email on Friday. Complete 12/30. So... now when would I hear about scholarships?

Should be in your admissions packet, whenever it comes.

Ahhh... The one that I hear takes forever, but has a bumper sticker? :P
Thanks Chill!

Rosem80

Postby Rosem80 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:13 pm

For those of you waiting on packets I called the admissions office and packets go out every Friday. Mine got lost in the mail, which is super frustrating since I live about 60 miles out of Seattle.

Rosem80

Postby Rosem80 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Thanks for the tip on padmapper. I've never lived in an apartment, I went from military housing to a house, and I've been a little lost when it comes to apartment hunting in a city I don't already live in. I love that it gives you how the lease amount compares with other listings.

Congrats! I've been using pad mapper and just typing Seattle with my price limit and looking and everything. They also have really good info about neighborhoods on their page
http://www.law.seattleu.edu/Office_and_ ... ousing.xml[/quote]

lawlaw87

Postby lawlaw87 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:14 pm

I still haven't heard anything :( under review since 1/5....

ZoonEchonLogon

Postby ZoonEchonLogon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:06 am

lawlaw87 wrote:I still haven't heard anything :( under review since 1/5....

I hear you. Been in review since 1/6. I think that the wait has aged me ten years. I have heard from every other school in Washington and Oregon. Why must you be so slow Seattle? Why? sigh.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:21 am

so who all is going to the luncheon???

lawlaw87

Postby lawlaw87 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:28 am

ZoonEchonLogon wrote:

I hear you. Been in review since 1/6. I think that the wait has aged me ten years. I have heard from every other school in Washington and Oregon. Why must you be so slow Seattle? Why? sigh.

I hope we hear back from them this week!

ZoonEchonLogon

Postby ZoonEchonLogon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:45 pm

lawlaw87 wrote:
ZoonEchonLogon wrote:

I hope we hear back from them this week!

I hope we hear today!!! Hurry up Seattle U!

neeko

Postby neeko » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:51 pm

I still don't have an invitation to the Facebook group.

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:01 pm

neeko wrote:I still don't have an invitation to the Facebook group.

+1

Also, the email I got from admissions today referenced FB.

akakak

Postby akakak » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Sadly, I got called into work today at the last minute. Won't make it to the alumni luncheon. If anyone attends please let us know how it went!

robwilke

Postby robwilke » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:05 pm

in review since 1/16 . . . also impatiently awaiting my fate. Just wanted to get that out there.

robwilke

Postby robwilke » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Last edited by robwilke on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:05 pm

Edited. It appears I replied to a deleted post.
Last edited by un-vordox on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robwilke

Postby robwilke » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:11 pm

:lol:

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:13 pm

:roll:

robwilke

Postby robwilke » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Even before you replied, I realized my critique on the vapidity and vanity of facebook would come across as a personal attack and chose to edit/delete. However, upon refreshing, I saw your response, and felt compelled to reply. Upon refreshing the thread again, I saw that you edited/deleted, which again compelled me to edit/delete. No hard feelings man, it feels like we were stuck in a vicious cycle. :P Cheers to the unintended consequences of anonymous communication.

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:21 pm

robwilke wrote:Even before you replied, I realized my critique on the vapidity and vanity of facebook would come across as a personal attack and chose to edit/delete. However, upon refreshing, I saw your response, and felt compelled to reply. Upon refreshing the thread again, I saw that you edited/deleted, which again compelled me to edit/delete. No hard feelings man, it feels like we were stuck in a vicious cycle. :P Cheers to the unintended consequences of anonymous communication.

Word up. It happens.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”