Seattle University c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
neeko

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Deadlights13 wrote:Thanks, I am excited for sure. I just want to make sure I check everything out. I think Seattle has a lot to offer as well and I am curious to sit in on classes at both schools to compare and contrast....see where I fit in.

Are you going to any of the SU open houses? I'm going to the one on the 2nd, I'm excited.

tbean182 wrote:Hey all,

Just accepted for the fall and SU is my first choice. Excited and ready to begin planning for my move (from FL). Does anyone have tips on affordable neighborhoods in the area?

Congrats! I've been using pad mapper and just typing Seattle with my price limit and looking and everything. They also have really good info about neighborhoods on their page
http://www.law.seattleu.edu/Office_and_ ... ousing.xml

chill

Postby chill » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:50 pm

neeko wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:Thanks, I am excited for sure. I just want to make sure I check everything out. I think Seattle has a lot to offer as well and I am curious to sit in on classes at both schools to compare and contrast....see where I fit in.

Are you going to any of the SU open houses? I'm going to the one on the 2nd, I'm excited.

Just accepted for the fall and SU is my first choice. Excited and ready to begin planning for my move (from FL). Does anyone have tips on affordable neighborhoods in the area?

Congrats! I've been using pad mapper and just typing Seattle with my price limit and looking and everything. They also have really good info about neighborhoods on their page

They are dead wrong about Fremont. It is yuppy by day, frat boy by night. The artists left Fremont when the Whole Foods went in, right, y'all? It's a fine neighborhood, but it's no longer an artist's haven by any means.

Green Lake is definitely not "where people go to see and be seen." It is where people go to get Canadian goose poop all over their new running shoes. It is a fun, vibrant neighborhood (I say having never lived there).

And, as someone who has very recently lived in the U District, do not live in the U District. Rent is overpriced for the quality of the neighborhood, and it has an unfortunate number of undergrads living in it.

That all being said, I think any neighborhood (except the U District) is great. Upper Queen Anne would be a trek to Seattle U, though.

lawlaw87

Postby lawlaw87 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Congrats:) could you tell me your complete date?

lawlaw87

Postby lawlaw87 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:15 pm

cpinker3 wrote:
lawlaw87 wrote:Any movements for anyone???

Still under File complete/Under Review 1/24/2012 and Decision Pending 1/24/2012

I've been File Complete/ Decision Pending since 1/5 :(

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:04 pm

chill wrote:
neeko wrote:

They are dead wrong about Fremont. It is yuppy by day, frat boy by night. The artists left Fremont when the Whole Foods went in, right, y'all? It's a fine neighborhood, but it's no longer an artist's haven by any means.

Green Lake is definitely not "where people go to see and be seen." It is where people go to get Canadian goose poop all over their new running shoes. It is a fun, vibrant neighborhood (I say having never lived there).

And, as someone who has very recently lived in the U District, do not live in the U District. Rent is overpriced for the quality of the neighborhood, and it has an unfortunate number of undergrads living in it.

That all being said, I think any neighborhood (except the U District) is great. Upper Queen Anne would be a trek to Seattle U, though.

Thanks! Totally using this as a loose guide when I drive around Seattle neighborhoods next week.

tbean182

Postby tbean182 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:24 pm

lawlaw87 wrote:

Completed 12/31. Accepted 2/10. No updates in between.

tbean182

Postby tbean182 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:25 pm

chill wrote:
neeko wrote:

Thanks guys!

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:48 pm

I live in Green Lake right now, and it's definitely pretty cool and reasonably priced. Unfortunately though it is a good 45 minute bus trip to the law school. Much quicker if you're driving, obviously. As you might expect, the closer you live to Seattle U (First Hill / Capitol Hill) the more expensive things are going to be (for the most part).

I'm considering living with my parents on the Eastside to save some $$ if I end up attending.

If anyone has any questions about Seattle neighborhoods feel free to shoot.

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:01 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:I live in Green Lake right now, and it's definitely pretty cool and reasonably priced. Unfortunately though it is a good 45 minute bus trip to the law school. Much quicker if you're driving, obviously. As you might expect, the closer you live to Seattle U (First Hill / Capitol Hill) the more expensive things are going to be (for the most part).

I'm considering living with my parents on the Eastside to save some $$ if I end up attending.

Is there anywhere you or any other locals would recommend that is walking distance from the light rail?

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 pm

un-vordox wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:I live in Green Lake right now, and it's definitely pretty cool and reasonably priced. Unfortunately though it is a good 45 minute bus trip to the law school. Much quicker if you're driving, obviously. As you might expect, the closer you live to Seattle U (First Hill / Capitol Hill) the more expensive things are going to be (for the most part).

Is there anywhere you or any other locals would recommend that is walking distance from the light rail?

I'm not sure how much you know about our light rail, but it's quite new and thus very limited in where it goes. If you really want to live somewhere close to the light rail in Seattle proper, it's going to be right downtown, which is like as expensive and competitive as rental housing gets here. I, and most of the people that I know, have never once used the light rail. I guess that's mainly because our bus system is so expansive, and the only real point of using the light rail, at least right now, is to get to the airport (SeaTac).

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:12 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
un-vordox wrote:

I'm not sure how much you know about our light rail, but it's quite new and thus very limited in where it goes. If you really want to live somewhere close to the light rail in Seattle proper, it's going to be right downtown, which is like as expensive and competitive as rental housing gets here. I, and most of the people that I know, have never once used the light rail. I guess that's mainly because our bus system is so expansive, and the only real point of using the light rail, at least right now, is to get to the airport (SeaTac).

Thanks for the tip. The idea my fiance and I had when looking at the map was that it would be nice to live somewhere with easy access to the light rail so that we could GET downtown. We didn't know if any of the neighborhoods it runs through are any good though.

chill

Postby chill » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:18 pm

un-vordox wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
un-vordox wrote:

Thanks for the tip. The idea my fiance and I had when looking at the map was that it would be nice to live somewhere with easy access to the light rail so that we could GET downtown. We didn't know if any of the neighborhoods it runs through are any good though.

You can get downtown quite easily via bus from any neighborhood (at least, any south of like Wedgewood). The Seattle bus system is quite good, although people love to complain about it.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Oh I see what you mean. Well, then you know that it runs from downtown (it's northernmost part) all the way down through SoDo/Beacon Hill and other parts of South Seattle to SeaTac. I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere south of downtown, but it's possible you could find something nice down there. I think the best neighborhoods are all east and north of downtown. I'm a big fan of Green Lake/Wallingford, Ballard, Fremont, and First/Cap Hill (to an extent). If you're concerned about getting downtown, there are bus routes from essentially any part of the city that go directly there. The bus isn't as fancy or efficient (time wise) as the light rail, but it's the only option.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:24 pm

chill wrote:The Seattle bus system is quite good, although people love to complain about it.

TCR

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:25 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Oh I see what you mean. Well, then you know that it runs from downtown (it's northernmost part) all the way down through SoDo/Beacon Hill and other parts of South Seattle to SeaTac. I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere south of downtown, but it's possible you could find something nice down there. I think the best neighborhoods are all east and north of downtown. I'm a big fan of Green Lake/Wallingford, Ballard, Fremont, and First/Cap Hill (to an extent). If you're concerned about getting downtown, there are bus routes from essentially any part of the city that go directly there. The bus isn't as fancy or efficient (time wise) as the light rail, but it's the only option.

Thanks for the shortlist.

Chill, thoughts on these places?

corvid

Postby corvid » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Ballard = ghetto
Wallingford is pretty decent
Capitol Hill is expensive and nice depending where you go
Stay away from South seattle, especially white center

Also there are other cities that aren't far, and like Bellevue, Mercer Island, Bothell, and Renton which could be pretty worth the drive if you snag a good place.
Last edited by corvid on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chill

Postby chill » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:11 pm

un-vordox wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Oh I see what you mean. Well, then you know that it runs from downtown (it's northernmost part) all the way down through SoDo/Beacon Hill and other parts of South Seattle to SeaTac. I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere south of downtown, but it's possible you could find something nice down there. I think the best neighborhoods are all east and north of downtown. I'm a big fan of Green Lake/Wallingford, Ballard, Fremont, and First/Cap Hill (to an extent). If you're concerned about getting downtown, there are bus routes from essentially any part of the city that go directly there. The bus isn't as fancy or efficient (time wise) as the light rail, but it's the only option.

Thanks for the shortlist.

Chill, thoughts on these places?

I'd say that Capitol Hill/First Hill is probably the best place for someone in their mid-20's of all of those. Capitol Hill is loud, a little dirty, charming, and energetic: you will find a favorite restaurant and a favorite bar within a couple weeks. There's endless variety. Personally, I love Capitol Hill, but if I had kids or a family, I probably wouldn't. Ballard is a long trek from SU, though it's fine: it used to be the place where all the Norwegians lived but now it's an endless maze of condos and yuppies. (This video describes what Ballard used to be like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgIvH0t ... re=related. It's from Almost Live, one of Seattle's treasures). It is definitely not a ghetto (unless something has drastically changed in the last 6 months).

Green Lake/Wallingford is great if you have kids, a family, or just want to have a quiet place to study (especially Wallingford--Green Lake might be noisy at night? Not sure). I don't actually know anyone who lives in Green Lake, but I'll say that it's one of my favorite neighborhoods to run through.

I'd also add in the International District. It's a great neighborhood if you want to have lots of cheap, good food at your doorstep. It's barely out of downtown, so it's an easy trek wherever you're headed. Probably noisy at night.

One more thing: I'd contest the idea that South Seattle is a bad place to live (though there are definitely pockets you'd want to avoid). That being said, I don't know how great a commute it would be to get back up north to SU from South Seattle. It's not somewhere you should rule out, though; you could easily calculate out how long it'd take you to travel. As someone who does not live in South Seattle, I would defer to those who do, but my sense from passing through & knowing people who live down that way is that it is charmless but not unsafe.

clarsen

Postby clarsen » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 pm

I thought I would throw in my $0.02 about housing...

As others have said Capitol Hill and First Hill are the prime areas near campus, but it isn't cheap. It's a pretty nice area, with a lot of apartments immediately south of campus, but don't go too far south on First Hill (stay away from Yesler Way). I would highly recommend checking out each place before committing to anything. It's an older neighborhood, so the various places will be hit or miss, and the general feel and safety can vary greatly within just a couple blocks.

Queen Anne and the U-District are outside of walking distance, so just keep that in mind. With SU on a hill, biking might also be out of the question from those areas, and don't forget that you will likely have a 30+ pound bag to carry around.

Fremont, Wallingford, Ballard, Green Lake: Even further than Queen Anne and the U-District. Nice, safe neighborhoods, but with unpredictable traffic through downtown and on I-5, I don't know if it would be ideal. Pricing would be pretty equivalent to Capitol Hill, so you might as well just look there.

I actually live in South Seattle, but it's mostly because I've lived here for a couple years. I'm nearly in Renton, so I'm about 10 miles from campus. I honestly can't recommend South Seattle unless you really take time to scope out the neighborhoods. There are nice pockets to be found, but it's mostly pretty sketchy. The entire stretch of Rainier Avenue is bad news, and same goes for MLK Way (which is unfortunately the route the Light Rail takes). I commute each day simply because the bus route available to me is quite possibly the worst in the city (#7). It's not a terrible commute (20-30 minutes), but it's killer for gas efficiency because it's just a long stretch of stop lights.

I lastly wanted to touch on the light rail and simply say that you shouldn't use it as any good means of transportation to SU. The closest stop is in downtown Seattle, which is a half mile walk, and one hell of a hill away. You would be better off checking the Metro Transit system and finding the local bus routes.

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:41 pm

neeko wrote:Are you going to any of the SU open houses? I'm going to the one on the 2nd, I'm excited.

I would love to go to that one, but that is finals week for me. I was planning on going to the one on 30 March and then to the one at UW on the 31st, but I am a huge nerd and hate that I have to give up going to Emerald City Comicon, which is that same weekend....lol. I can't help it George Takei is going to be there dammit!! :lol:

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 am

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the info. I guess if I move to Seattle I'll be driving or taking the bus unless I decide on Capitol Hill.

Is it too much to ask to find an affordable little house by a park (think dogs and wife)? Denver has little 2 bedroom houses all over the place, and parks too. Am I right in assuming that in Seattle it will probably either be an apartment or something expensive?

clarsen

Postby clarsen » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:19 am

un-vordox wrote:You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the info. I guess if I move to Seattle I'll be driving or taking the bus unless I decide on Capitol Hill.

Is it too much to ask to find an affordable little house by a park (think dogs and wife)? Denver has little 2 bedroom houses all over the place, and parks too. Am I right in assuming that in Seattle it will probably either be an apartment or something expensive?

Unfortunately, it probably is too much to ask. Are you thinking of buying if you could find the right place? My wife and I look at houses pretty frequently, and unfortunately nothing is really "affordable" in the area on a law student budget. $250,000 seems to be about right for a small 2BR/1BA house (http://www.johnlscott.com/propertydetail.aspx?IS=1&ListingID=301009141). However, definitely check Craigslist for potential rental homes. I've personally grown tired of apartment living, so currently we are renting a duplex.

Regarding parks, there are quite a few around Seattle, but like much of the area, some are more user friendly than others. You might prefer the Green Lake and Ballard neighborhoods because they will be a little more family oriented.
Last edited by clarsen on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:32 am

corvid wrote:Ballard = ghetto

Also there are other cities that aren't far, and like Bellevue, Mercer Island, Bothell, and Renton which could be pretty worth the drive if you snag a good place.

I live on Fort Lewis, the Army post just outside of Tacoma and plan on commuting until we can move closer. We are a family of 7, so my choices are slim for housing and affordability. I just want to find good schools for my kids to attend. I've heard Bellevue is nice and I have found a few rentals that are big enough. Do you know anything about the schools or neighborhoods around there? Specifically High School and Middle School. My son plays football and the extent of his knowledge is that the Bellevue Football team is #1 in Washington. lol

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:32 am

clarsen wrote:
un-vordox wrote:You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the info. I guess if I move to Seattle I'll be driving or taking the bus unless I decide on Capitol Hill.

Unfortunately, it probably is too much to ask. Are you thinking of buying if you could find the right place? My wife and I look at houses pretty frequently, and unfortunately nothing is really "affordable" in the area on a law student budget. $250,000 seems to be about right for a small 2BR/2BA house (http://www.johnlscott.com/propertydetail.aspx?IS=1&ListingID=301009141). However, definitely check Craigslist for potential rental homes. I've personally grown tired of apartment living, so currently we are renting a duplex.

Regarding parks, there are quite a few around Seattle, but like much of the area, some are more user friendly than others. You might prefer the Green Lake and Ballard neighborhoods because they will be a little more family oriented.

Good to know, but I think we'll be renting. It would be a bad idea for us to sell in AZ right now, where we live. There are just so many houses for rent in AZ and southern CA (where I'm from) that it seems weird that it's not the case in Seattle.

corvid

Postby corvid » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:54 am

Deadlights13 wrote:
corvid wrote:Ballard = ghetto

I live on Fort Lewis, the Army post just outside of Tacoma and plan on commuting until we can move closer. We are a family of 7, so my choices are slim for housing and affordability. I just want to find good schools for my kids to attend. I've heard Bellevue is nice and I have found a few rentals that are big enough. Do you know anything about the schools or neighborhoods around there? Specifically High School and Middle School. My son plays football and the extent of his knowledge is that the Bellevue Football team is #1 in Washington. lol

Indeed I do. Bellevue has an excellent school system, much higher quality and safer than the big cities for the most part, at least in public schools. Private is another story, but $$$$ like Holy Names.

Ok for Bellevue, here goes:

Middle Schools: Tyee, Tillacum, Odle are all fine choices. its middle school, so as long as there isnt a rampant drug or crime problem, and the teachers arent half-wits, itll be fine.

High Schools: Sammamish, Bellevue, Newport and Interlake are all extremely modern and high tech schools. All have been renovated in the last ~5 years (maybe not BHS). Bellevue football is FAR more than the best in Bellevue. A couple years ago it was #1 or 2 in the country if I recall correctly. Still a fine program. Bellevue football is the result of a lot of money combined with talent. Newport would be after BHS, the others who cares. If he is decent but not a superstar he could make a good name for himself for college with the others, or just be a part of a kickass team at BHS or NHS. If he is a superstar, or could be, then these schools will probably bring him to his potential. Either way, all of these schools are surrounded by varying incomes. Very little low income/ghettoness in bellevue, but dont get me wrong, it is definitely around. Bellevue is a higher class city, so $$$ follows. High cost of living but so many high end jobs around and neat stuff to do safely, and no bums. Little street crime.

As a side note, if you are worried about the drug problems in high schools, dont. There will always be drug problems, its just with the variance of income brings different drugs. When i was in high school, there were a few problems with cocaine and meth in the more wealthy schools and the usual stuff in the others. Gangs are still somewhat around, but its absurd how stupid they are, thinking they are "hood" when they grew up in Bellevue LOL. Dont get me wrong, neither are legitimate problems but parents still have concerns, and for good reason.

Seriously, if I went to SU (and I have my doubts but I dont want to post publicly) I would either live close to SU or on Mercer Island or Bellevue. Its expensive but I think its worth it.

If you want more help, I would be more than glad to lend a helping hand to military. Family of 7 is a hurdle, but there are a lot of options for housing. Ill try to set some in terms of what I have seen:

Lake Hills: Middle to FAR upper class area. Mansions on one side of the street, low end apartments on the other. Kind of a theme in Bellevue to an extent. Easy interstate access, amenities, etc. Possibly expensive, but snag a nice place and youll have a great situation. Odle, Sammamish/Interlake.

Somerset: Ideal family area. For a family, I would rate this number 1, and it is where I would want to raise mine. Groceries close, Factoria with minimal shopping options close, and I90. Tyee, Newport. Insane amount of houses and apartments to choose from, in varying areas.

Factoria: Similar to somerset, varying places, really nice apartments close to the freeway. Probably cheaper because of that, not sure though.

Newport/Newport Shores: Middle to mega bucks. Similar to somerset.

Coal Creek: Similar to Somerset

Bridle Trails: between bellevue/redmond/kirkland (kirkland and redmond are great places to live as well btw). Very nice housing, very expensive.

Interlake area/Lake Sammamish: Close to the water, nice area overall. Interlake schooling, which is meh. Nothing special in any sport really.

Crossroads: between interlake and lake hills: Not all that great, bad traffic. Some really nice houses and parks.

Downtown Bellevue: $$$, traffic. Bellevue high school, and middle school depends.

Medina: Technically a city, but really just snobs with money. Zero tolerance traffic policing. High cost area, for no real reason since you get stuck in traffic going ANYWHERE and there is very little for amenities. Not my thing, even if I were loaded.

Thats really the main neighborhoods. You can always find a park, as there are only about 4 every square mile. Baseball fields, tennis courts, palygrounds, outdoor exercise areas like South Bellevue Community Center, blah blah blah. West coast armory is great for a shooting range and gun shop, as they wont gouge prices on anything unlike the other shop in the area, if thats your thing...obviously I am into it.

The area is just as vulnerable to lock down due to 2 inches of snow as seattle, since there is one snow plow for the county. However, it snows like one time per year in the whole area. I dont know what else there is about bellevue. Microsoft traffic can get terrible, there is construction somewhere all the time, though not as bad as Seattle (which isnt bad really).

Downtown Bellevue is turning into Seattle #2, which I hate with a passion. However, that means more high end jobs, shopping (like the ultra high end "Bravern") and things to do. Lots of bars, and lincoln square has a nice range of things to do like the adult arcade (alcohol served) and nice movie theatre (which to take your woman on a date will be at least $30 yeesh).

So if theres anything else ask away. There are other nice cities like I said...Kirkland and Redmond win national awards for their livability, however their school system isnt as good. But lets be real, we arent talking about Uganda.

corvid

Postby corvid » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:42 am

tbean182 wrote:
lawlaw87 wrote:

Completed 12/31. Accepted 2/10. No updates in between.

What were your numbers? Ive been complete/UR since 12/20, and no changes.

wat

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”