Seattle University c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
akakak
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby akakak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:52 am

yikes. what did i do to get admitted to the school but not the facebook group! i'll never fit in!!!! :shock: :lol:

User avatar
Deadlights13
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:17 am

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby Deadlights13 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:38 am

akakak wrote:yikes. what did i do to get admitted to the school but not the facebook group! i'll never fit in!!!! :shock: :lol:


I didn't get it either. :(

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby chill » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:29 am

clarsen wrote:
chill wrote:Having reread the email: it looks like students did make this (or, at least, a student sent me the email). Now, the tone and sense of humor in the email makes a lot more sense (and makes it kind of fun, not weird!). I had, initially, assumed that it was like W&L's facebook group, which is run by the admissions office. It would've been a weird thing to get from an SU employee, but it's a kind of cute thing to get from an SU student.


It's definitely from a student (ambassador), who happens to be a good friend of mine, and I am actually somewhat of a moderator for the group. I just confirmed that the group is only for admitted students, and currently invites have been sent to approx. 75% of you. The rules are all in fun, and I think the worst that would ever happen is a post would be deleted. I recall last year some talk about scholarships taking place, and we were just reminded of the rules and the post was removed.

It really is just a place for admitted students to connect and get answers, so that the decision of which law school to attend will be as painless as possible. As I briefly touched on in my previous post, it really becomes a great resource once classes begin.


Well, then I feel :oops: . Again, my weirdness re: that email was on my presumption that it was from an adcomm member. Reading Comprehension was my worst section on the LSAT....

Anyway, since you're a current SU student, would you be willing to speak a little bit to your experience at the school? How are the sections, the classes, the professors? What is your summer looking like? How bleak, precisely, is the Seattle market? I keep hearing it's one of the tightest markets in the country-- does that seem accurate?

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:17 am

Deadlights13 wrote:
akakak wrote:yikes. what did i do to get admitted to the school but not the facebook group! i'll never fit in!!!! :shock: :lol:


I didn't get it either. :(


Me either :(

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby llachans » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:14 am

I got a nice little note from an adcom member saying that they were also an Iowa alum (class of '92). It was a nice little personal touch : )

I got the fb group invite via e-mail.

So far, I'm really liking the correspondence that Seattle U gives.

clarsen
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby clarsen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:55 pm

chill wrote:Anyway, since you're a current SU student, would you be willing to speak a little bit to your experience at the school? How are the sections, the classes, the professors? What is your summer looking like? How bleak, precisely, is the Seattle market? I keep hearing it's one of the tightest markets in the country-- does that seem accurate?


Overall experience: Amazing...I have experienced nothing but good things since starting at SU last summer. Perhaps I have been fortunate with my section, but I have yet to witness the typical law school sterotypes (i.e., the gunner). SU doesn't seem to have the competitive nature that you read a lot about. Rather, everyone tends to be supportive and encouraging. That's not to say people don't act competitive in their own social cliques, but it never presents itself in a public setting.

Classes/Professors: No complaints, but the experience can vary by professor. I am finding that it is pretty typical for the professor to be a bit...quirky. I wouldn't say this takes away from the course at all, but it does take a little getting used to. Socratic method is in full effect, but I would imagine that is pretty standard no matter where you go. I will concede that the work load is intense. I know that before I started I was warned about 6-8 hours of studying per day, and I basically laughed it off because I had never studied like that for anything. I can attest now that it is certainly all of 6-8 hours, and easily more depending on the day. One thing that is slightly unique about SU is that Crim Law is offered in the summer, so it is a great way to lighten your fall course load. Additionally, you learn how to be a law student and take a law exam with one course, rather than five. SU has also changed the curriculum, and 1Ls are now taking an elective during the spring semester.

Summer Outlook: I'm hoping to find an externship or internship opportunity, and if nothing pans out I will likely take a class to lighten my fall workload. This seems to be the trend amongst my fellow 1Ls and a lot of it comes down to area of interest. Most of us are still feeling out what we want to do, and if you are not limiting yourself too much, something will work out.

Seattle Market: I am probably not in the best place to comment on this because I am only just beginning, but we have been told from the beginning that there are jobs to be found. It all comes down to what you are willing to put forth in finding work, and how much networking you do. If you keep yourself bottled up in the library and make minimal effort in expanding your resume, you are in for a tough ride. Grades are only a portion of what employers want, and most 3Ls and alumni will say that their employer never asked for their transcripts. One thing to keep in mind is that SU is pretty limited to the Seattle market. It's not impossible to go elsewhere, but everything will be a lot easier if you stay local. UW is higher ranked, but SU has a larger footprint in the community. Take that for what it is worth, but I don't think it is quite as bad as it may seem.

User avatar
Deadlights13
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:17 am

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby Deadlights13 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:56 pm

neeko wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:
akakak wrote:yikes. what did i do to get admitted to the school but not the facebook group! i'll never fit in!!!! :shock: :lol:


I didn't get it either. :(


Me either :(


clarsen wrote: ....and currently invites have been sent to approx. 75% of you....



No worries, I guess we are just a part of that 25%. :lol:

User avatar
lawlaw87
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby lawlaw87 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:09 am

are we supposed to get updates every Tuesday or Wednesday?

User avatar
BlazersTime
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby BlazersTime » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:04 pm

How long did it take people to get their acceptance package? I live in Portland and I was accepted last Thursday but still no package.

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:08 pm

BlazersTime wrote:How long did it take people to get their acceptance package? I live in Portland and I was accepted last Thursday but still no package.


Mine took a month, or very close to it.

User avatar
BlazersTime
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby BlazersTime » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 pm

neeko wrote:
BlazersTime wrote:How long did it take people to get their acceptance package? I live in Portland and I was accepted last Thursday but still no package.


Mine took a month, or very close to it.


oh wow. Thats so long to wait for a letter in the mail lol

User avatar
lawlaw87
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby lawlaw87 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:00 am

Any movements for anyone???

User avatar
cpinker3
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby cpinker3 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:56 am

lawlaw87 wrote:Any movements for anyone???


Still under File complete/Under Review 1/24/2012 and Decision Pending 1/24/2012

User avatar
princeR
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby princeR » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:11 am

I'd love to go to SU, but am a little worried about the Seattle job market. Can anyone comment?

User avatar
un-vordox
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby un-vordox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:52 am

Deadlights13 wrote:
neeko wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:
akakak wrote:yikes. what did i do to get admitted to the school but not the facebook group! i'll never fit in!!!! :shock: :lol:


I didn't get it either. :(


Me either :(


clarsen wrote: ....and currently invites have been sent to approx. 75% of you....



No worries, I guess we are just a part of that 25%. :lol:


I'm a bit late, but I just wanted to chime in that I didn't get that email either. I think my TLS addiction has finally subsided. Not sure if that's good or bad.

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:56 am

un-vordox wrote:
I'm a bit late, but I just wanted to chime in that I didn't get that email either. I think my TLS addiction has finally subsided. Not sure if that's good or bad.


Same here, now that I'm down to choosing between my final 3 or 4 schools. I still sit on here at work because I have nothing better to do but stay off of here at home for the most part.

I wonder if we are going to get the email?

User avatar
Deadlights13
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:17 am

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby Deadlights13 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:04 am

neeko wrote:
un-vordox wrote:
I'm a bit late, but I just wanted to chime in that I didn't get that email either. I think my TLS addiction has finally subsided. Not sure if that's good or bad.


Same here, now that I'm down to choosing between my final 3 or 4 schools. I still sit on here at work because I have nothing better to do but stay off of here at home for the most part.

I wonder if we are going to get the email?


How are you going about choosing? Pros and cons list or blindfold and dartboard? :wink:

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:09 am

Deadlights13 wrote:
neeko wrote:
un-vordox wrote:
I'm a bit late, but I just wanted to chime in that I didn't get that email either. I think my TLS addiction has finally subsided. Not sure if that's good or bad.


Same here, now that I'm down to choosing between my final 3 or 4 schools. I still sit on here at work because I have nothing better to do but stay off of here at home for the most part.

I wonder if we are going to get the email?


How are you going about choosing? Pros and cons list or blindfold and dartboard? :wink:


I'm visiting 2 of them for 4 days each, working on finding a good weekend to see the third one. I'm hoping I can choose after that. What's your plan?

User avatar
un-vordox
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby un-vordox » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm down to Seattle, Denver, or retake. I'm leaning toward retake.

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:50 pm

un-vordox wrote:I'm down to Seattle, Denver, or retake. I'm leaning toward retake.


I'm down to Seattle, Cincinnati or Rutgers (and maybe BLS). It would probably be only Seattle if they didn't have that 25% stip on the scholarship.

User avatar
Deadlights13
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:17 am

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby Deadlights13 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:07 pm

I have no plan yet! That's why I asked you. I am just not sure. I wasn't expecting to get accepted to UW, so it took me by surprise. Also, I have only received half of the decisions from the schools I applied to. I am leaning heavily toward UW at this point, but I would like to plan some visits after I get through this last term of school and actually have time to think straight.

User avatar
un-vordox
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby un-vordox » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:09 pm

Deadlights13 wrote:I have no plan yet! That's why I asked you. I am just not sure. I wasn't expecting to get accepted to UW, so it took me by surprise. Also, I have only received half of the decisions from the schools I applied to. I am leaning heavily toward UW at this point, but I would like to plan some visits after I get through this last term of school and actually have time to think straight.


I'm not sure if you're going for PI or something, but I'd go to UW in a heartbeat. Congrats.

neeko wrote:
un-vordox wrote:I'm down to Seattle, Denver, or retake. I'm leaning toward retake.


I'm down to Seattle, Cincinnati or Rutgers (and maybe BLS). It would probably be only Seattle if they didn't have that 25% stip on the scholarship.


That's cool. I'm visiting Seattle next weekend so who knows if my mind will be changed by the end of that trip.

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Deadlights13 wrote:I have no plan yet! That's why I asked you. I am just not sure. I wasn't expecting to get accepted to UW, so it took me by surprise. Also, I have only received half of the decisions from the schools I applied to. I am leaning heavily toward UW at this point, but I would like to plan some visits after I get through this last term of school and actually have time to think straight.


Congrats on UW. That is awesome!

User avatar
Deadlights13
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:17 am

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby Deadlights13 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks, I am excited for sure. I just want to make sure I check everything out. I think Seattle has a lot to offer as well and I am curious to sit in on classes at both schools to compare and contrast....see where I fit in.

tbean182
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:23 am

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby tbean182 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Hey all,

Just accepted for the fall and SU is my first choice. Excited and ready to begin planning for my move (from FL). Does anyone have tips on affordable neighborhoods in the area?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”