Seattle University c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
msu1077

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby msu1077 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Deadlights13 wrote:msu1077, just an fyi, but my scholarship from Seattle mirrors the offer I received from UOP, except UOP gave me free books. So, I don't know if that makes any difference I just thought it was curious.

Well, if my scholarship mirrors what I got from UOP, then I won't be attending SU. Hopefully SU puts a little more on the table considering their tuition is significantly higher than Pacific.

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:40 pm

msu1077 wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:msu1077, just an fyi, but my scholarship from Seattle mirrors the offer I received from UOP, except UOP gave me free books. So, I don't know if that makes any difference I just thought it was curious.

Well, if my scholarship mirrors what I got from UOP, then I won't be attending SU. Hopefully SU puts a little more on the table considering their tuition is significantly higher than Pacific.

I hear that. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

chill

Postby chill » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Scholarship info came in my packet today. Also named a Washington State Law Scholar. 20.5k is nice, and it's even nicer that it's guaranteed for all three years.

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:51 pm

chill wrote:Scholarship info came in my packet today. Also named a Washington State Law Scholar. 20.5k is nice, and it's even nicer that it's guaranteed for all three years.

What? How did you get that scholly? Is it merit-based or something else? I was under the impression that their merit scholarships don't go that high and are always conditional.

chill

Postby chill » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:02 pm

Redzo wrote:
chill wrote:Scholarship info came in my packet today. Also named a Washington State Law Scholar. 20.5k is nice, and it's even nicer that it's guaranteed for all three years.

What? How did you get that scholly? Is it merit-based or something else? I was under the impression that their merit scholarships don't go that high and are always conditional.

It's for Washington state residents "who demonstrate exceptional aptitude for the study of law, coupled with a strong history of service and commitment to issues that relate to the mission of Seattle University.... fewer than 10 [candidates] will enroll as Washington State Law Scholars... Your Washington State Law Scholarship is...guaranteed for three years of legal studies."

In the terms and conditions, it says scholarships are only renewable for the top 25% unless otherwise noted on the offer letter. I'm assuming the word "guaranteed" means I will get it all three years if I attend.

akakak

Postby akakak » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:28 pm

chill wrote:
Redzo wrote:

It's for Washington state residents "who demonstrate exceptional aptitude for the study of law, coupled with a strong history of service and commitment to issues that relate to the mission of Seattle University.... fewer than 10 [candidates] will enroll as Washington State Law Scholars... Your Washington State Law Scholarship is...guaranteed for three years of legal studies."

In the terms and conditions, it says scholarships are only renewable for the top 25% unless otherwise noted on the offer letter. I'm assuming the word "guaranteed" means I will get it all three years if I attend.

Interesting. I just re-read my letter and the wording is a bit strange. Honestly, I don't think its clear whether its guaranteed for 3 years with or without the gpa stipulation. May have to call on that one....

Redzo, It is merit based (and residency based) and its the largest one they offer besides the full tuition ones that you apply for separately.

chill

Postby chill » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:39 pm

akakak wrote:
chill wrote:
Redzo wrote:

Interesting. I just re-read my letter and the wording is a bit strange. Honestly, I don't think its clear whether its guaranteed for 3 years with or without the gpa stipulation. May have to call on that one....

Redzo, It is merit based (and residency based) and its the largest one they offer besides the full tuition ones that you apply for separately.

If you do call and find out, can you post on this board what they say? Sounds like there's a couple of us on here who got the scholly.

akakak

Postby akakak » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:58 am

chill wrote:If you do call and find out, can you post on this board what they say? Sounds like there's a couple of us on here who got the scholly.

Will do

akakak

Postby akakak » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:18 am

Chill, on further review I think our scholarships are indeed guaranteed for 3 years without stipulations. The scholarships page on their website gives a brief description of each one. Several read "The scholarship is renewable, with conditions," but the Washington Law Scholarship simply says "The award is guaranteed for three years of legal study."

Woot!

http://law.seattleu.edu/Office_and_Admi ... ips.xml#wa

Lawbound1122

Postby Lawbound1122 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:00 am

I know this is off the subject, I have been "decision pending" since 11/21, I also received the email for part-time student open house ... Any thoughts? Congrats to all who have been accepted!!

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:17 am

Dang, I wish I had that scholarship! I'm a 1L at SU and I thought mine was the best you could get; 18k/yr with top 25% stipulation. The stipulation scares me. So far, after first semester grades, I'm looking good to keep it, but I wish I didn't have to worry. They didn't seem willing to negotiate on that stipulation, though.

corvid

Postby corvid » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:29 am

Lawbound1122 wrote:I know this is off the subject, I have been "decision pending" since 11/21, I also received the email for part-time student open house ... Any thoughts? Congrats to all who have been accepted!!

Ive been decision pending sine 12/20 and got that email and the law magazine/financial aid stuff as well. Dont know what to say, but you are not alone.

Ziq8209

Postby Ziq8209 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:30 pm

corvid wrote:
Lawbound1122 wrote:I know this is off the subject, I have been "decision pending" since 11/21, I also received the email for part-time student open house ... Any thoughts? Congrats to all who have been accepted!!

Ive been decision pending sine 12/20 and got that email and the law magazine/financial aid stuff as well. Dont know what to say, but you are not alone.

Same boat here. Anxiously awaiting some sort of decision--like another poster, I had two near panic attacks when I got the financial aid brochure and the "Good News from Seattle U" email :(

corvid

Postby corvid » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Ziq8209 wrote:
corvid wrote:

Same boat here. Anxiously awaiting some sort of decision--like another poster, I had two near panic attacks when I got the financial aid brochure and the "Good News from Seattle U" email :(

That was also me haha

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:56 pm

My packet got here today! $18,500 a year!

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Wow that's awesome! Are you leaning toward Seattle now?

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:25 pm

un-vordox wrote:Wow that's awesome! Are you leaning toward Seattle now?

I really have no idea. There is a top quarter stipulation which troubles me but I love the school.

I'm going to have to go visit my top 5 and then decide.

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:29 pm

neeko wrote:

I really have no idea. There is a top quarter stipulation which troubles me but I love the school.

Good call. I'm doing a Seattle/Portland/Salem visit soon myself. Other than that I just have to decide about Denver.

msu1077

Postby msu1077 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:41 pm

neeko wrote:My packet got here today! $18,500 a year!

Congrats, Neeko! I hope to see some packet/scholly love when I get home today too! That top 25% stip is rough, but for what basically equates to 2/3 tuition scholly, it may be worth it. Congrats again!

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:04 pm

un-vordox wrote:
neeko wrote:

Good call. I'm doing a Seattle/Portland/Salem visit soon myself. Other than that I just have to decide about Denver.

Keep me updated! I won't be able to visit anywhere for at least a few months.

msu1077 wrote:
neeko wrote:My packet got here today! $18,500 a year!

Congrats, Neeko! I hope to see some packet/scholly love when I get home today too! That top 25% stip is rough, but for what basically equates to 2/3 tuition scholly, it may be worth it. Congrats again!

Thank you and Good luck!

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

neeko wrote:
un-vordox wrote:
neeko wrote:

Keep me updated! I won't be able to visit anywhere for at least a few months.

For sure! And don't wait too long to visit schools. Seat deposits aren't THAT far away.

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:23 pm

un-vordox wrote:
For sure! And don't wait too long to visit schools. Seat deposits aren't THAT far away.

Believe me, it's stressing me out a lot. I can't take off work until I accrue vacation days, it complicates things.

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Yeah, that's why I'm doing Seattle the Fri before Presidents' day and Will/L&C on Presidents' day. They have classes that day but I don't have work.

msu1077

Postby msu1077 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Received my packet and bumper sticker today and received the $11,000 renewable (top 25% stipulation) President's Scholarship. I'm happy with the offer, although I received a $16,000 renewable scholarship to Willamette today too, so I have to be honest in saying that Seattle was trumped by a better offer on the same day :P

clarsen

Postby clarsen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:29 am

I am a current 1L @ SU and Student Ambassador (I give tours, answer phones, and work with prospective students) and after skimming the board I wanted to clear up a couple consistent questions I saw:

- All scholarship offers will be sent with your admissions packet. Someone was pretty much on the mark when mentioning it might take longer for scholarship packets to arrive. There is a slightly extended process of getting the award letters sorted and signed before the packet is mailed. This is about all I will say regarding scholarships since it is a very personal matter, but the bottom line is that your packet should include all scholarship information (if applicable).

- Regarding the ARC program, there is no separate application process. The deadline is February 1st to be considered, and it is typically for people who may not meet the traditional acceptance numbers, yet the counselors still feel the person would be a good candidate for law school. Keep in mind that if accepted to the ARC program, you are required to start in the Summer (Crim Law) and unlike the other Summer start students, the ARC program meets 5 days a week and it is an all day session. Regardless if you are accepted into the ARC program are not, I highly recommend taking Summer Crim Law. It's a great way to get a taste of law school and learn to be a law student. It's also great having one less class in the Fall.

- Lastly, I don't want to feed the trolls, but the job market is scarce; however, this is not limited to Seattle University, or Seattle in general. It's just the way things are around the country. Hopefully things will be better in a couple years, but SU has a great Career Development Center and there are many career development seminars and networking opportunities. Finding a job will require a lot of work, but SU provides all the resources you need.

I'm going to try to monitor this board a little bit, so feel free to throw out any questions and I will do what I can to answer them.

Good luck to all and hopefully I will see for a tour or as a colleague in the summer/fall!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”