Seattle University c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
neeko

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Deadlights13 wrote:
neeko wrote:I was Accepted 12/16 and still haven't received packet. Anyone else?

Same here. I was wondering if your status checker has any mailings listed? I was accepted on 12/16 as well and have no mailings listed.

Nope, it's completely blank in there.

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:42 pm

neeko wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:
neeko wrote:I was Accepted 12/16 and still haven't received packet. Anyone else?

Same here. I was wondering if your status checker has any mailings listed? I was accepted on 12/16 as well and have no mailings listed.

I got my packet yesterday. The mailings area remains blank.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Aside from an awesome bumper sticker, there's not much in there that you don't already know.

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:51 pm

CaptAdams wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Aside from an awesome bumper sticker, there's not much in there that you don't already know.

I know better it's just me giving in to crazy waiting game obsessions. Thanks Capt. :)

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:56 pm

CaptAdams wrote:
neeko wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:

I appreciated the city guide too, although it probably wouldn't have taken much effort to find one on my own.

Deadlights13 wrote:
un-vordox wrote:I think this is going to be my top choice after my inevitable ding from ASU. Anyone else starting to think they'll end up in Seattle?

I'm about 99% sure I'll be going to Seattle. UW is a real long shot for me and even with an acceptance I still might choose Seattle.

I returned to school this week and updated my professors on the acceptance from Seattle and I also let them know I was still waiting on UW. Despite rankings and (what I thought) was a superior reputation- all three of them prefer Seattle and encouraged me to go there. I just wanted to share this with you all because all three of them are Lawyers working in Washington state- one of which has law degrees from both Seattle (formerly University of Puget Sound) and UW. So, taking that into account the only thing that might change my mind in lieu of an acceptance from UW is the cost of the tuition. I have a portion of my GI bill left- enough to pay for 1L, since UW is a state school it will pay for the entire year and books. However, since Seattle is private it will only cover a small portion. So, that's my dilemma. :?

Thanks for sharing that. The more I read/hear, the less I worry about how it's the second-highest ranked school in its market. That one thing is probably the main reason I'm still anxious about hearing from L&C (top ranked in its market), although the Seattle market vs Portland probably makes up for the rankings difference.

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Deadlights13 wrote:I know better it's just me giving in to crazy waiting game obsessions. Thanks Capt. :)

I totally understand. I was dying to get it to see if there was any scholly info, but alas...

The only thing I remember seeing that was of interest to me were several open house days in the spring. I'll post the dates when I get off work.

tcolvr

Postby tcolvr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Seattle U used to be Seattle College. UPS is in Tacoma.

divtheshin

Postby divtheshin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Anxiously waiting on a decision from Seattle. My top choice schools are in Oregon (Lewis and C, UofO), but I figured I would apply to Seattle as well.

I don't know much about the school, and I have only been to Seattle twice on very brief visits. Is the job market really much better in Seattle/Washington than in Portland/Oregon?

How does Seattle U compare with U Washington? I know UofW ranks higher, obviously, but it seems that Seattle University still would be worth attending if you don't have the numbers for UofW.

Is Seattle University in a good location? I will definitely be visiting if I am accepted.
Last edited by divtheshin on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

divtheshin

Postby divtheshin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Reading through this thread is definitely making me more excited at the prospect of an acceptance from Seattle University...

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:30 pm

tcolvr wrote:Seattle U used to be Seattle College. UPS is in Tacoma.

Seattle Law used to be in Tacoma as The University of Puget Sound Law School. They moved the school to Seattle and changed the name in 1994.

http://www.law.seattleu.edu/Academics/J ... Review.xml

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Not to beat a dead horse, but another positive about Seattle is it is the only Law School in WA. that offers a part-time program. I am planning on attending full-time, but my husband will be getting out of the Army in my second year and if I end up having to contribute more to our family finances at that time it is nice to know I won't have to quit school. It would be a nightmare to survive 1L just to give it all up for a job to make ends meet. It's just a nice option for those of us worried about future finances (which is probably everyone).

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:06 pm

CaptAdams wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:I know better it's just me giving in to crazy waiting game obsessions. Thanks Capt. :)

I totally understand. I was dying to get it to see if there was any scholly info, but alas...

The only thing I remember seeing that was of interest to me were several open house days in the spring. I'll post the dates when I get off work.

I work from home so I really have no excuse not to do this myself. Here they are:

Feb 24
Mar 2
Mar 30
April 13

They'll have different speakers at each, but they limit you to attending 2 of them. Most of th info (like RSVP info) is coming in an email later.

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Awesome! Thanks un-vordox.

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:30 pm

No prob.

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:34 pm

un-vordox wrote:I work from home so I really have no excuse not to do this myself.

Sigh... Lucky... I work as an online editor for a fairly large news site. I could work from home, but my overlords like to see a warm body hogging a desk. I'm jealous.

Another thing interesting in the packet is the ability to change your status to take a summer class. I talked to the admissions office and the class is the 1L criminal law class. It basically lets you get your feet wet and also eases up your first semester. I'm thinking of doing it.

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:37 pm

CaptAdams wrote:
un-vordox wrote:I work from home so I really have no excuse not to do this myself.

Sigh... Lucky... I work as an online editor for a fairly large news site. I could work from home, but my overlords like to see a warm body hogging a desk. I'm jealous.

Another thing interesting in the packet is the ability to change your status to take a summer class. I talked to the admissions office and the class is the 1L criminal law class. It basically lets you get your feet wet and also eases up your first semester. I'm thinking of doing it.

Yeah, when you work as a negotiator, your bosses tend to be more open to new ideas like working from home. I'm definitely lucky.

The idea of starting early sounds good, but I have to wait to move til my fiance gets a job (or til the last minute, whichever comes first), so that's not really an option for me.

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:44 pm

un-vordox wrote:The idea of starting early sounds good, but I have to wait to move til my fiance gets a job (or til the last minute, whichever comes first), so that's not really an option for me.

Yeah. I totally understand that one. My wife and I are going to be living apart for a while. She has a great job, but it isn't exactly transferable. We aren't looking forward to it, but our options are limited.

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:47 pm

CaptAdams wrote:
un-vordox wrote:The idea of starting early sounds good, but I have to wait to move til my fiance gets a job (or til the last minute, whichever comes first), so that's not really an option for me.

Yeah. I totally understand that one. My wife and I are going to be living apart for a while. She has a great job, but it isn't exactly transferable. We aren't looking forward to it, but our options are limited.

Bummer. Good luck figuring all that out.

corvid

Postby corvid » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:17 pm

divtheshin wrote:
Is Seattle University in a good location? I will definitely be visiting if I am accepted.

No. Neither UW or SU are in "good" locations, unless you overlook crime. Even then, UW is far superior as its right on Lake Washington and that opens up a lot for the spring and summer (canoozing).

chill

Postby chill » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:42 pm

corvid wrote:
divtheshin wrote:

No. Neither UW or SU are in "good" locations, unless you overlook crime. Even then, UW is far superior as its right on Lake Washington and that opens up a lot for the spring and summer (canoozing).

Both are in fine locations. Seattle is not Camden. Don't talk on your phone or listen to your ipod while walking after dark. Put your laptop in a closed bag so you can't tell there's a laptop in there. In other words, act like you live in a city.

UW's campus is gorgeous. SU's campus is less so.

corvid

Postby corvid » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 pm

chill wrote:
corvid wrote:
divtheshin wrote:

Both are in fine locations. Seattle is not Camden. Don't talk on your phone or listen to your ipod while walking after dark. Put your laptop in a closed bag so you can't tell there's a laptop in there. In other words, act like you live in a city.

Act like you live in the ghetto, and you'll be fine. There are more rapes than they let on.

Although getting the usual armed robbery, break-in, or mugging alert is always comforting.

edit: its not that bad, but it isnt a nice neighborhood or area.
Last edited by corvid on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chill

Postby chill » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:04 pm

corvid wrote:
chill wrote:
corvid wrote:
divtheshin wrote:

Act like you live in the ghetto, and you'll be fine. There are more rapes than they let on.

Although getting the usual armed robbery, break-in, or mugging alert is always comforting.

:roll: Here's a link to Seattle U's Clery-Act-required report on violence on and around campus: (down below). 0 reported rapes on campus in the past 3 years. 0 reported rapes off-campus in the past 2 (no data for 2008). Actual statistics are better than you saying "there are more rapes than they let on."

(I have no doubt that there are rapes on campus, but they are not getting reported. By comparison, the UW had 10 rapes reported in the past few years.)

ETA: Apparently, TLS doesn't like Error, so here's the absurdly long url for the Seattle U report:

http://ope.ed.gov/security/InstDetails. ... 333320504d

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:07 pm

chill wrote:
corvid wrote:
divtheshin wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with this. You should be fine unless you act like one of the hippies in "Our Idiot Brother".

corvid

Postby corvid » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 pm

chill wrote: :roll: Here's a link to Seattle U's Clery-Act-required report on violence on and around campus: (down below). 0 reported rapes on campus in the past 3 years. 0 reported rapes off-campus in the past 2 (no data for 2008). Actual statistics are better than you saying "there are more rapes than they let on."

(I have no doubt that there are rapes on campus, but they are not getting reported. By comparison, the UW had 10 rapes reported in the past few years.)

ETA: Apparently, TLS doesn't like Error, so here's the absurdly long url for the Seattle U report:

http://ope.ed.gov/security/InstDetails. ... 333320504d

Looks like someone knows their ass from their elbow when it comes to crime reporting and statistics

divtheshin

Postby divtheshin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks for the info. I suppose I should have been more specific when I said "good location." I didn't necessarily mean in terms of crime. I was thinking more along the lines of good restaurants, bars, transportation, living accommodations, livability etc. I just don't know much about Seattle University or the surrounding area.

sneijder

Postby sneijder » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:51 am

divtheshin wrote:Thanks for the info. I suppose I should have been more specific when I said "good location." I didn't necessarily mean in terms of crime. I was thinking more along the lines of good restaurants, bars, transportation, living accommodations, livability etc. I just don't know much about Seattle University or the surrounding area.

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”