Seattle University c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
un-vordox

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Postby un-vordox » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm

akakak wrote:
tdanielle wrote:2 all: Is SU your first choice? What makes you like it? I live in San Diego, but I visited Seattle and fell in love with the area.

I live Seattle, but I've lived here for many years. I can't say the people are particularly easy to get to know but once you do they are great. I love the weather and its a spectacular place to live if you're interested in outdoor activities. I also really like the big city feel without the mess and congestion of bigger places like LA or SF.

The school specifically is appealing to me because of their legal writing program, their demonstrated commitment (as opposed to a few sentences on their website) to social justice and public interest law, their location in town, and the # of scholarships they give out. They also accept a greater range of people with more interesting and diverse backgrounds than UW, which I think really contributes to the whole experience. I can't say for sure but based on my experience living in Seattle and knowing people who have gone to both schools I see UW as a place where mostly academically strong (and typically white or privileged) students go with little life experience. If you don't plan on practicing in Washington State though I'm not sure how much notoriety SU has nationwide.

Thanks for the input. I'm from San Diego as well, but will not be trying to practice in CA, and Seattle is high on my list right now. I think I've narrowed it down to SU, Denver, or whichever Oregon school(s) I get into.

I was also happy to discover the 2010 employment data on the SU website over the weekend. It looks a lot better than 2009's (no surprise there).

EuroDisney

Postby EuroDisney » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Cool! There's a bumper sticker in the admit pack!

chill

Postby chill » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:09 pm

EuroDisney wrote:Cool! There's a bumper sticker in the admit pack!

Congrats Euro! How long ago were you admitted? Any sign of scholly info in the admit packet?

EuroDisney

Postby EuroDisney » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:32 pm

chill wrote:
EuroDisney wrote:Cool! There's a bumper sticker in the admit pack!

Congrats Euro! How long ago were you admitted? Any sign of scholly info in the admit packet?

Thanks, I was admitted just before Christmas. There wasn't any scholarship info in the admit letter, just some information that they will send an award letter three weeks after sending the admit pack, but only if I have completed my financial aid information. I don't expect to get much of a scholarship, if anything, not having the best numbers.

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:07 am

EuroDisney wrote:
Thanks, I was admitted just before Christmas. There wasn't any scholarship info in the admit letter, just some information that they will send an award letter three weeks after sending the admit pack, but only if I have completed my financial aid information. I don't expect to get much of a scholarship, if anything, not having the best numbers.

Thanks for the update, it's good to know somebody finally got something in the mail! Also it is nice to have the heads-up about the lack of scholarship info since I was expecting that to be in the packet as well. Oh well, I live on an Army post and APO is always slower than regular mail, so I will continue to blame the Army for the delay. :roll:

akakak

Postby akakak » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:59 am

I live in Seattle and still haven't gotten it. Admitted 12/15. Hopefully it shows up tomorrow

corvid

Postby corvid » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:01 am

I'm dying over here. 158/3.6, decision pending since 12/20. Does anyone have an estimate of how long for a decision?

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:27 am

corvid wrote:I'm dying over here. 158/3.6, decision pending since 12/20. Does anyone have an estimate of how long for a decision?

atcushman wrote:Congrats Chill....and I guess that pretty much answers my earlier question lol. Looks like fridays are gonna be there decision days this year LSN show they released once a week last year so Ill be holding my breath for the next week it seams

I think cushman's assumption is probably accurate..so Fridays maybe? Good luck! :)

corvid

Postby corvid » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:31 am

Deadlights13 wrote:
corvid wrote:I'm dying over here. 158/3.6, decision pending since 12/20. Does anyone have an estimate of how long for a decision?

atcushman wrote:Congrats Chill....and I guess that pretty much answers my earlier question lol. Looks like fridays are gonna be there decision days this year LSN show they released once a week last year so Ill be holding my breath for the next week it seams

I think cushman's assumption is probably accurate..so Fridays maybe? Good luck! :)

gah! thanks. All I do all day is think about law school. :shock:

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:45 pm

I just scheduled my visit for 2/17. I hope that packet gets here soon!

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm

...well that was fast. I just got the packet in the mail. I was accepted 12/22 via email, and I'm in AZ.

theexaminer

Postby theexaminer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 pm

Does anyone know how the ARC program works? I am a non traditional applicant with a lower GPA and LSAT than average, based on circumstances. I have already applied and did not see where I could make the choice of wanting to be considered through that particular program.

Rosem80

Postby Rosem80 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:51 pm

theexaminer wrote:Does anyone know how the ARC program works? I am a non traditional applicant with a lower GPA and LSAT than average, based on circumstances. I have already applied and did not see where I could make the choice of wanting to be considered through that particular program.

According to their website you have to have your application in my February 1, but they don't provide a link to a seperate application for the program. I would call the admissions office and ask them how you are considered.

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:22 pm

I think this is going to be my top choice after my inevitable ding from ASU. Anyone else starting to think they'll end up in Seattle?

chill

Postby chill » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:33 pm

un-vordox wrote:I think this is going to be my top choice after my inevitable ding from ASU. Anyone else starting to think they'll end up in Seattle?

If SU sweetens the offer with some good scholly money, I would love to stay here since I'd like to work here (and I don't think I'll swing a UW admissions offer).

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:56 pm

un-vordox wrote:Anyone else starting to think they'll end up in Seattle?

Waiting to get a decision from Oregon and New Mexico, but Seattle is looking pretty good right now.

horsesrule2006

Postby horsesrule2006 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:02 pm

un-vordox wrote:I think this is going to be my top choice after my inevitable ding from ASU. Anyone else starting to think they'll end up in Seattle?

Yup

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Cool! I guess I'm not the only one at this point.

bflint30

Postby bflint30 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:58 pm

horsesrule2006 wrote:

Yup

I am right there with you. UW looks like a lost cause and i'm probably 50% at ASU sooo seattle is looking like the choice. But michigan state did offer a full ride so I might consider it although I have no desire to practice law in the lake states.

bflint30

Postby bflint30 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:59 pm

un-vordox wrote:...well that was fast. I just got the packet in the mail. I was accepted 12/22 via email, and I'm in AZ.

Nice, I'm still waiting on mine, which doesn't make sense since I am just 3 hours from seattle.

bflint30

Postby bflint30 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:01 pm

corvid wrote:
Deadlights13 wrote:

gah! thanks. All I do all day is think about law school. :shock:

You shouldn't have a problem getting in, I had a 158/3.66 and have been accepted already.

neeko

Postby neeko » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:11 pm

I was Accepted 12/16 and still haven't received packet. Anyone else?

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:15 pm

theexaminer wrote:Does anyone know how the ARC program works? I am a non traditional applicant with a lower GPA and LSAT than average, based on circumstances. I have already applied and did not see where I could make the choice of wanting to be considered through that particular program.

Just curious, what is the ARC?

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm about 99% sure I'll be going to Seattle. UW is a real long shot for me and even with an acceptance I still might choose Seattle.

I returned to school this week and updated my professors on the acceptance from Seattle and I also let them know I was still waiting on UW. Despite rankings and (what I thought) was a superior reputation- all three of them prefer Seattle and encouraged me to go there. I just wanted to share this with you all because all three of them are Lawyers working in Washington state- one of which has law degrees from both Seattle (formerly University of Puget Sound) and UW. So, taking that into account the only thing that might change my mind in lieu of an acceptance from UW is the cost of the tuition. I have a portion of my GI bill left- enough to pay for 1L, since UW is a state school it will pay for the entire year and books. However, since Seattle is private it will only cover a small portion. So, that's my dilemma. :?

Deadlights13

Postby Deadlights13 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:27 pm

neeko wrote:I was Accepted 12/16 and still haven't received packet. Anyone else?

Same here. I was wondering if your status checker has any mailings listed? I was accepted on 12/16 as well and have no mailings listed.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”