Seattle University c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
randomwombat

New

Re: Seattle University c/o 2015

Post by randomwombat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:16 am

On my visit a few weeks ago it became quite obvious that SU is a for-profit law school. Withdrew today. GL to those still waiting.

Rosem80

New

Post by Rosem80 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Did anyone else attend the Open House? I thought it was pretty short, and it would have been nice to have had a seperate segment with just the financial aid office.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:16 pm

randomwombat wrote:On my visit a few weeks ago it became quite obvious that SU is a for-profit law school. Withdrew today. GL to those still waiting.
Could you expand on that, please? I think it could be helpful, even to those who may get $$$. "For-profit" vibe is not good...

randomwombat

New

Post by randomwombat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:03 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:
randomwombat wrote:On my visit a few weeks ago it became quite obvious that SU is a for-profit law school. Withdrew today. GL to those still waiting.
Could you expand on that, please? I think it could be helpful, even to those who may get $$$. "For-profit" vibe is not good...
I spoke with a student who also worked in the admissions office (she gave me the tour) and what she said about job prospects out of SU was what I expected, but still unnerving: The high-paying jobs at firms go to UW grads, SU grads get whatever's left, usually PI. Very difficult to get help with loan repayment assistance.

Any for-profit enterprise will strive to have a high number of customers paying high prices for a low value product. SU fits that description perfectly. Lots of students (far more than UW), very expensive (FInAid office historically unwilling to negotiate scholarship offer increases), and a low ranking with very dim job prospects post-graduation.

Even if you get $$$, which won't be more than ~$50,000, your total COA will still be around $100,000.

I just hope that people with better options will be smart about the considerations they are making. If you get into a higher-ranked school with better employment outlook at sticker and SU with $50,000, you should ask yourself if saving a mere ~$50,000 now is worth the trouble it will cost you in the future.

randomwombat

New

Post by randomwombat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:04 pm

randomwombat wrote:
I spoke with a student who also worked in the admissions office (she gave me the tour) and what she said about job prospects out of SU was what I expected, but still unnerving: The high-paying jobs at firms go to UW grads, SU grads get whatever's left, usually PI. Very difficult to get help with loan repayment assistance.

Any for-profit enterprise will strive to have a high number of customers paying high prices for a low value product. SU fits that description perfectly. Lots of students (far more than UW), very expensive (FInAid office historically unwilling to negotiate scholarship offer increases), and a low ranking with very dim job prospects post-graduation.

Even if you get $$$, which won't be more than ~$50,000, your total COA will still be around $100,000.

I just hope that people with better options will be smart about the considerations they are making. If you get into a higher-ranked school with better employment outlook at sticker and SU with $50,000, you should ask yourself if saving a mere ~$50,000 now is worth the trouble it will cost you in the future.
Although, if you're choosing between SU and UW, you should disregard everything I've just said and go to SU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:42 pm

randomwombat wrote:
randomwombat wrote:

Although, if you're choosing between SU and UW, you should disregard everything I've just said and go to SU.
This last quote makes no sense to me... You mean... go to UW, right? You got it switched? Or just being funny?

Anyway, that sounds horrendous. I'm withdrawing after my acceptance. Makes Willamette sound like Columbia!

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:59 pm

Successfully negotiated an increase from no scholarship to $10,000 a year. Same stip as everyone else, though.

I've found everyone at SU to be pretty helpful, the facilities are fantastic, and it's close to home...but the job prospects are dim. I'm undecided; still somewhat considering Willamette, Idaho and a few others.

surefire88

New

Post by surefire88 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:05 pm

I got into SU with $10k and a top 1/2 stip. I'm still undecided though and as of right now, I'm leaning towards U Oregon...but that could change. If L&C offers me merit aid at the end of the month, I might end up there. What do you people think?

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:08 pm

surefire88 wrote:I got into SU with $10k and a top 1/2 stip. I'm still undecided though and as of right now, I'm leaning towards U Oregon...but that could change. If L&C offers me merit aid at the end of the month, I might end up there. What do you people think?
That's a pretty good stip for SU, I didn't know they offered ones that lenient. How much $ has Oregon offered you?/Are you an Oregon resident?/Where do you want to work, OR or WA?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:14 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
surefire88 wrote:I got into SU with $10k and a top 1/2 stip. I'm still undecided though and as of right now, I'm leaning towards U Oregon...but that could change. If L&C offers me merit aid at the end of the month, I might end up there. What do you people think?
That's a pretty good stip for SU, I didn't know they offered ones that lenient. How much $ has Oregon offered you?/Are you an Oregon resident?/Where do you want to work, OR or WA?
They give URMs top 1/2 stips.

skaterboyroland

New

Post by skaterboyroland » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm not a URM (hawaiian) and I was offered the top 1/2 stip. I think the top 1/2 stip is for the diversity scholarship which is any minority, not just URM's.

surefire88

New

Post by surefire88 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
$3k at Oregon, non-resident (stip is 2.00 so that's pretty much guaranteed). Don't really have a preference, OR or WA is fine with me. The total COA after deducting scholly would be less at Oregon.

CaptAdams

Bronze

Post by CaptAdams » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:19 pm

Rosem80 wrote:Did anyone else attend the Open House? I thought it was pretty short, and it would have been nice to have had a seperate segment with just the financial aid office.
I was on the tour, asked to visit Financial Aid, and was told the wait was three hours. They literally said I could email them instead... I (was) an out of state candidate...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:04 pm

surefire88 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
$3k at Oregon, non-resident (stip is 2.00 so that's pretty much guaranteed). Don't really have a preference, OR or WA is fine with me. The total COA after deducting scholly would be less at Oregon.
Hmm tough call. If it was me, I'd probably give SU the slight edge because it's my hometown (family, friends, connections, ties, etc.).

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Rosem80 wrote:Did anyone else attend the Open House? I thought it was pretty short, and it would have been nice to have had a seperate segment with just the financial aid office.

I went to one. It was very short and pretty pointless. The school I've decided to go to took us out for drinks and had a lot of informative sessions.

Anyway, I'll be withdrawing tomorrow and freeing up 18.5k a year

Rosem80

New

Post by Rosem80 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Considering that the Open House was during the day, which meant that I had to take a day off, I was unimpressed with the information given. I'd have been pissed if I had flown in from out of town. Also if they weren't going to include a financial aid segment then at least have some walk in appointments available for those who had questions.
I appreciated that they had a mix of alums and students but the woman on the end who had been out of school for 10yrs was not a good pick since she had been out of school for so long.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:41 am

Just withdrew. Good luck to everyone trying to stay in the top 25% next year!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

robocall12

New

Post by robocall12 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:24 pm

I was admitted yesterday via email, and I am excited about this. Nice way to end the week - with good news! Now I find myself worrying about the money situation. It sounds like I have weeks to wait for my admittance/financial package to arrive. Then I have to decide between schools that will cost me approx. $50k for 3 yrs vs. Seattle at $112k for 3 yrs if they don't give me any scolly. Also, sounds like the stipulation is very onerous if I do get an offer of a scholly. This should normally be a no-brainer, but I want Seattle (the area) in a bad way. My admit is for the Summer-Full Time program, so I'd have to start packing to move like tomorrow.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:41 pm

robocall12 wrote:I was admitted yesterday via email, and I am excited about this. Nice way to end the week - with good news! Now I find myself worrying about the money situation. It sounds like I have weeks to wait for my admittance/financial package to arrive. Then I have to decide between schools that will cost me approx. $50k for 3 yrs vs. Seattle at $112k for 3 yrs if they don't give me any scolly. Also, sounds like the stipulation is very onerous if I do get an offer of a scholly. This should normally be a no-brainer, but I want Seattle (the area) in a bad way. My admit is for the Summer-Full Time program, so I'd have to start packing to move like tomorrow.
What's the other school you're considering? Also, sticker tuition (not even including fees, books, room, board) is going to be more than 112k for 3 years.

robocall12

New

Post by robocall12 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:00 pm

As I research further I am finding other concerns. First, tuition is now up to $39k/yr?????????? What the F? Didn't their ranking just drop? This is not the time to be jacking up tuition into the astronomical range. Additionally - this law school is absolutely HUGE. Entering class of 324 (ft + pt) - that is a massive class by anyones standard. Will I feel like a number after they have cleaned me out for every dollar I have? Anyway, just some basic concerns as I evaluate my offer of admission. Love Seattle though.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Tuition has been ~39k for a few years now. And the ranking just rose two spots, actually, not that it matters.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

robocall12

New

Post by robocall12 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:38 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
robocall12 wrote:I was admitted yesterday via email, and I am excited about this. Nice way to end the week - with good news! Now I find myself worrying about the money situation. It sounds like I have weeks to wait for my admittance/financial package to arrive. Then I have to decide between schools that will cost me approx. $50k for 3 yrs vs. Seattle at $112k for 3 yrs if they don't give me any scolly. Also, sounds like the stipulation is very onerous if I do get an offer of a scholly. This should normally be a no-brainer, but I want Seattle (the area) in a bad way. My admit is for the Summer-Full Time program, so I'd have to start packing to move like tomorrow.
What's the other school you're considering? Also, sticker tuition (not even including fees, books, room, board) is going to be more than 112k for 3 years.
I am very seriously considering Gonzaga for less than $50k for 3 yrs. Stipulation is easily achievable. COL is low. Could save a bunch of money over the first year. Who knows, maybe I can xfer after the first year if I can do well. It certainly would make it easier to be successful when I don't have huge Grad Plus loans building up. My acceptance is based on Summer start, so that makes it tough for me to wait out other schools that have me waitlisted. Anyway - big decisions to be made.

robocall12

New

Post by robocall12 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:43 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Tuition has been ~39k for a few years now. And the ranking just rose two spots, actually, not that it matters.

Yea, it really doesn't matter. I had some tuition numbers of $37k/yr on a comparison spreadsheet I did a while back. I must have picked up the number from a dated source on LSAC or maybe Top Law Schools. Anyway, whether $37k or $39k - it is a heap of money.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Yeah I hear ya. It's expensive stuff. If you're taking loans out on the whole thing, just go to Gonzaga. Unless you're set on working in Seattle, because that's extremely hard to do from anywhere except UW/SeattleU/T25.

robocall12

New

Post by robocall12 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:49 pm

robocall12 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
I am very seriously considering Gonzaga for less than $50k for 3 yrs. Stipulation is easily achievable. COL is low. Could save a bunch of money over the first year. Who knows, maybe I can xfer after the first year if I can do well. It certainly would make it easier to be successful when I don't have huge Grad Plus loans building up. My acceptance is based on Summer start, so that makes it tough for me to wait out other schools that have me waitlisted. Anyway - big decisions to be made.
Also, I am in at Missouri - Columbia for about $65k. That deadline is today, and I am letting it go. But the price (even at sticker) was pretty good. You can get in-state tuition in yr 2 and 3 in Missouri. Mainly letting it go because of location.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”