2011-2012 Tulane

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
cheergirl
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:53 am

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby cheergirl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:56 am

Congrats to everyone who got in!
Last edited by cheergirl on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mxmatt137
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby mxmatt137 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:56 am

I was admitted earlier this week, but i'm trying to plan things now since March is fast approaching. Anybody know if BOTH days are required, or is Friday the "main" day for ASW?

B986
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby B986 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:00 pm

mxmatt137 wrote:I was admitted earlier this week, but i'm trying to plan things now since March is fast approaching. Anybody know if BOTH days are required, or is Friday the "main" day for ASW?


I, too, am wondering what the schedule looks like for flight planning purposes. Does anyone know?

littleredlaw
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:00 am

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby littleredlaw » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:30 pm

From Admitted Students Website:

"March 2-3 TLS Visiting Day Program

The program on Friday will begin at 9:15 a.m. and concludes with a reception at 3:30 pm with current Tulane Law School students.

Saturday, March 3

The program on Saturday begins at 9:30 a.m. and concludes by 12:30 p.m. We will offer a session on Academics at the law school, discussing Joint Degrees, Certificate Program, Degree Requirements and More. In the afternoon we will offer a Walking Tour of Campus and a Bus Tour of the Uptown and University area, these tours will run concurrently."

B986
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby B986 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:49 pm

littleredlaw wrote:From Admitted Students Website:

"March 2-3 TLS Visiting Day Program

The program on Friday will begin at 9:15 a.m. and concludes with a reception at 3:30 pm with current Tulane Law School students.

Saturday, March 3

The program on Saturday begins at 9:30 a.m. and concludes by 12:30 p.m. We will offer a session on Academics at the law school, discussing Joint Degrees, Certificate Program, Degree Requirements and More. In the afternoon we will offer a Walking Tour of Campus and a Bus Tour of the Uptown and University area, these tours will run concurrently."



Thanks for this. Didn't come across this on the Welcome Website.

User avatar
mxmatt137
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby mxmatt137 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:57 pm

littleredlaw wrote:From Admitted Students Website:

"March 2-3 TLS Visiting Day Program

The program on Friday will begin at 9:15 a.m. and concludes with a reception at 3:30 pm with current Tulane Law School students.

Saturday, March 3

The program on Saturday begins at 9:30 a.m. and concludes by 12:30 p.m. We will offer a session on Academics at the law school, discussing Joint Degrees, Certificate Program, Degree Requirements and More. In the afternoon we will offer a Walking Tour of Campus and a Bus Tour of the Uptown and University area, these tours will run concurrently."


Well in that case if I can find a cheap hotel i'll be there. I've already planned a trip to UH and UGA so I was hoping this one would be relatively inexpensive.

littleredlaw
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:00 am

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby littleredlaw » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:00 pm

B986 wrote:
Thanks for this. Didn't come across this on the Welcome Website.


No Prob :)
(It shows up when you RSVP to the ASW)

Hope to see some of you there!!

I'm pretty familiar with NOLA as I have spent a fair bit of time there, so PM me if you have any questions...

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:27 pm

mxmatt137 wrote:
littleredlaw wrote:From Admitted Students Website:

"March 2-3 TLS Visiting Day Program

The program on Friday will begin at 9:15 a.m. and concludes with a reception at 3:30 pm with current Tulane Law School students.

Saturday, March 3

The program on Saturday begins at 9:30 a.m. and concludes by 12:30 p.m. We will offer a session on Academics at the law school, discussing Joint Degrees, Certificate Program, Degree Requirements and More. In the afternoon we will offer a Walking Tour of Campus and a Bus Tour of the Uptown and University area, these tours will run concurrently."


Well in that case if I can find a cheap hotel i'll be there. I've already planned a trip to UH and UGA so I was hoping this one would be relatively inexpensive.

Look at the other hotels on the travel portal. Some are a lot cheaper than the Marriott.

User avatar
Dash41
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby Dash41 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:21 pm

I'm a little disappointed Tulane won't negotiate their scholarships.

User avatar
sdphill
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 am

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby sdphill » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:00 pm

Did anyone else receive their admission packet inside of a gift bag? Tulane is definitely WOWing me right now...

User avatar
alwayslovely
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 am

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby alwayslovely » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:07 am

sdphill wrote:Did anyone else receive their admission packet inside of a gift bag? Tulane is definitely WOWing me right now...


The tote is a very nice touch! And thank you for mentioning it. I was expecting regular mail in a standard envelope and my Tulane tote was waiting in my APT building's front office!

User avatar
ap613
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 am

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby ap613 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:46 am

Tote bag with 25k last night!

B986
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby B986 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:45 am

Dash41 wrote:I'm a little disappointed Tulane won't negotiate their scholarships.


I feel your pain. I haven't had any luck either.

User avatar
TheFailboat
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:46 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby TheFailboat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:59 pm

B986 wrote:
Dash41 wrote:I'm a little disappointed Tulane won't negotiate their scholarships.


I feel your pain. I haven't had any luck either.


Has anyone had luck at all? I got $25k from them, and the low COL in New Orleans makes this one of my cheapest options at the moment, but I'd like to squeeze more out of them if possible...

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:04 pm

TheFailboat wrote:
B986 wrote:
Dash41 wrote:I'm a little disappointed Tulane won't negotiate their scholarships.


I feel your pain. I haven't had any luck either.


Has anyone had luck at all? I got $25k from them, and the low COL in New Orleans makes this one of my cheapest options at the moment, but I'd like to squeeze more out of them if possible...


I think in past cycles, there wasn't any give with the scholarship money offered. I think they try to offer a lot of candidates up until the June zone a bit of money if warranted and that's part of the reason why they don't increase other candidate's monies.

User avatar
Dash41
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby Dash41 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:33 pm

If money wasn't an issue, Tulane would be my number one. But Alabama just offered 25k a year, the same as Tulane. However, Alabma only costs 31k a year. Alabama would only cost 6k my first year, and then I could establish state residency and reduce it down to only 3k a year. There is a top 40% stip however. Still, Alabama is ranked 35 compared to Tulane's 47. I really wish Tulane would negotiate, but it is even stated on their website that they don't.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Dash41 wrote:If money wasn't an issue, Tulane would be my number one. But Alabama just offered 25k a year, the same as Tulane. However, Alabma only costs 31k a year. Alabama would only cost 6k my first year, and then I could establish state residency and reduce it down to only 3k a year. There is a top 40% stip however. Still, Alabama is ranked 35 compared to Tulane's 47. I really wish Tulane would negotiate, but it is even stated on their website that they don't.


The rankings difference means almost nothing.

User avatar
pugilistjd
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:28 am

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby pugilistjd » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Dash41 wrote:If money wasn't an issue, Tulane would be my number one. But Alabama just offered 25k a year, the same as Tulane. However, Alabma only costs 31k a year. Alabama would only cost 6k my first year, and then I could establish state residency and reduce it down to only 3k a year. There is a top 40% stip however. Still, Alabama is ranked 35 compared to Tulane's 47. I really wish Tulane would negotiate, but it is even stated on their website that they don't.


Alabama is a great choice if and only if you want to practice in Alabama...

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Dash41 wrote:If money wasn't an issue, Tulane would be my number one. But Alabama just offered 25k a year, the same as Tulane. However, Alabma only costs 31k a year. Alabama would only cost 6k my first year, and then I could establish state residency and reduce it down to only 3k a year. There is a top 40% stip however. Still, Alabama is ranked 35 compared to Tulane's 47. I really wish Tulane would negotiate, but it is even stated on their website that they don't.


Top 40% stips and you think there is a significance to the exact numerical rankings outside the T14?

Also, if you are interested in Alabama, most of high profile Alabama firms recruit here.

crouton62
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby crouton62 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:10 pm

also it's almost impossible to establish in-state if OOS student in Alabama

User avatar
ckelly85
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby ckelly85 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:28 pm

I'd agree with Aberzombie on the rankings. But even OOS that is
a pretty good deal for Alabama. If you want to do public sector, I'd pick Alabama for the $$$. If not, just pick the school you think you'll enjoy more. Debt, imho as a poor person, is not nearly as scary as TLS makes it out to be.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:02 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Top 40% stips and you think there is a significance to the exact numerical rankings outside the T14?

Also, if you are interested in Alabama, most of high profile Alabama firms recruit here.

Seemed like the dude compared the two rankings generally....It's not like he was nitpicking 34.4 vs 36.1.
It's pretty clear that vandy and wustl are better than brooklyn... 35 vs 47 may also have a significance.


Anyway, it's my understanding that while cost of living isn't much less, New Orleans firms pay markedly less than other southeast markets do.
i.e. a partner at jones walker makes ~60-70% of what he'd make in ATL. Is this accurate?

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:23 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Top 40% stips and you think there is a significance to the exact numerical rankings outside the T14?

Also, if you are interested in Alabama, most of high profile Alabama firms recruit here.

Seemed like the dude compared the two rankings generally....It's not like he was nitpicking 34.4 vs 36.1.
It's pretty clear that vandy and wustl are better than brooklyn... 35 vs 47 may also have a significance.


Anyway, it's my understanding that while cost of living isn't much less, New Orleans firms pay markedly less than other southeast markets do.
i.e. a partner at jones walker makes ~60-70% of what he'd make in ATL. Is this accurate?


Once you leave the T14, job prospects are generally tied to how strong the local market is to the school. There is a reason that BC/BU/UCLA/USC do so well - they are top dogs in Boston and Los Angeles. Their performance has nothing to do with their exact numerical rankings of US News, it's tied to their local markets.

Any schools outside the T14 that do a lot better than their local markets would indicate are more suseptible to changes in the economy than the schools with strong local markets - their graduates rely on their demand regionally/nationally for placement and when the economy contracts, that demand weakens. These schools are distinguishable from many other schools because their reputations and placement are not really as tied to local markets the same way most other non-T14 schools are. Other schools, ones ranked highly by US News but that don't do very well, either have a limited local market, face fierce competition in their market, or are almost unheard of outside of their region.

As to your question, of course Atlanta pays more than New Orleans. The highest paying markets always pay more than secondary markets - it's the same way in the West, Midwest, Southeast, Southwest, East, etc.

User avatar
Dash41
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby Dash41 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm really going to have a tough decision coming ahead. I still have to hear back from SMU, but it looks like Tulane and Alabama are the top dogs right now.

I just mentioned the ranking generally like the other poster said. I know outside the T14 it does come down to geographic placement, but I'm not going to rely on OCI or anything for a job, so rankings are a little less meaningul for me. Money is meaningful however, which is why the cheaper tuition at Alabama (the scholarship reduces to 10k if I don't meet top 40%, but if I can get in state it would still only cost 8k a year) is signficant. Also, I talked to some people at Alabama and it is possible to get in state if you really want it. However, school wise I think I would enjoy Tulane more.

User avatar
lmaccaro
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby lmaccaro » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:21 pm

I just discovered this website and I am very happy to have found it! I was accepted to Tulane a couple of months ago, I went there for undergrad and I am still living in the city. If anyone is visiting and wants some tips on where to go/what to do let me know. Also if any of you have decided to go to Tulane here are some tips for finding housing.

RESEARCH YOUR LANDLORD..there are a lot of slum lords so be careful. Riverlake properties is terrible AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Ask around before you sign anything and make sure you READ the lease. Louisiana law is very screwy since it is civil law instead of common law. The law usually favors the lessor and pretty much whatever the lease says goes. If there is something in the lease that makes you uncomfortable don't sign it.

On a lighter note Scott Brown is the absolute best person when it comes to landlords. He owns several very well maintained properties very close to campus. Rent is a little high but totally worth it. He is a kind, pleasant-natured man, and if you ever have any problem whatsoever he will be at your apartment within 10 min to fix it. He is honest, organized and a pleasure to know. I lived in one of his apartments last year and he was phenomenal (which is very rare in this city). He would even come and plunge our clogged toilets since the three of us girls could never seem to do it right. And he always does everything with a smile.

Tulane is an awesome school and New Orleans is an amazing city!...even with the 7 months of wet hot summer. Good luck everyone!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chipotle85, cyclawps, hamburg, jer0689, sonyco, trueblue92, unrelated and 32 guests