2011-2012 Tulane

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
phatmiami

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby phatmiami » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:29 am

I applied yesterday... do you think a 162 3.2 will get me in? Hispanic ..

Played Division 1 Football
Started 2 companies and have more work experience
very good personal statement

Very interested in sports law program

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Gail wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
Gail wrote:I'm sorry, but making kids wait so many months is ridiculous.

Look. Do they owe you an admit? No. Do they owe us reasonable time? Not even that.

But it certainly doesn't ingratiate the name of Tulane into anyone's heart when you see people that applied after you getting scholarship and admission before you. This isnt entitlement, it's just collegiality to be timely.

You realize that the reason people who applied after you are getting acceptances and scholarship information before you hear anything is because they are stronger candidates right?

Fair. I was more motivated by the others still waiting on movement at December, though. Would you agree that it can be a little frustrating for them?

Frustrating yes, but at least you haven't been denied yet. They will offer admission to the top people, then see who else they should offer admission to once they know more about the class/scholarship money left, etc.. They aren't trying to string you along.

kiwi4president

Postby kiwi4president » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Denied. 163 3.3. Kind of surprised really but not bitter. I probably would not have attended because it is too expensive, but it really would have been cool to live in New Orleans for three years.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:53 pm

I just got the email that I've been admitted a couple of hours ago. I'm happy, but the real information I'm waiting on is the scholarship and admittance letter coming in the mail. Hopefully it gets here soon. I really like Tulane.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:56 pm

dnyr2b wrote:Hang in there, all.

I applied mid December and heard early January. Friends of mine at Tulane said the acceptance cycle is wildly variable, so I wouldn't read too much into anything - though I know how much it sucks to wait for an answer. Keep optimistic.

Also - I received an email acceptance which mentioned that scholarship info would be coming soon in the mail. I simply called the admissions office and the told me over the phone, same day. About a week later I received the full admissions tote-bag thing.

Best of luck.

Hmm, how did you go about doing this? I may call the admissions office tomorrow so I don't have to wait.

candidate33

Postby candidate33 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:31 pm

C'mon Tulane! What are you doing with my app... LOVE ME BACK. Pretty sure I'm above both 75's too...starting to think I messed up somewhere

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 pm

buchy2009 wrote:
ZeffKay wrote:Got my letter a week or so back! $25/yr at 3.0. I am now seriously considering Tulane and the Sports Law programs. Any insights?

From my experience thus far, it seems that significantly more people are interested in and study sports law than actually get any type of sports law job. My impression is, similar to entertainment law prospects, that its a tough nut to crack. So if you're only interested in Tulane for sports law and are debating between Tulane and a higher ranked school, I might pick the higher ranked school. However, if you like Tulane for other reasons and the sports law program is one of many advantages that you value, Tulane is a unique law school in a great city and I would encourage you to matriculate here.

Agreed. I have job experience in the sports industry and if you want to get a job there, it's about making your mark at the ground up. Unless, you are granted with a gifted opportunity, but still that's beyond rare.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:16 am

kiwi4president wrote:Denied. 163 3.3. Kind of surprised really but not bitter. I probably would not have attended because it is too expensive, but it really would have been cool to live in New Orleans for three years.

When did you go complete? And how did they let you know?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:57 am

denied? Hmmm....that sucks. Didn't see myself getting denied.

ckelly85

Postby ckelly85 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:13 am

Any admitted friends in Austin meeting with Professor Fedtke next Friday?

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:16 pm

Just found out I got the 25,000 a year scholarship, which is good, but what I expected. Didn't get the 30,000 unfortunately.

With 25k a year, I'm still looking at 18k a year in tuition/fees along with COL. That is still relatively steep, but I really like Tulane. Not sure what I'm going to end up doing.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Dash41 wrote:Just found out I got the 25,000 a year scholarship, which is good, but what I expected. Didn't get the 30,000 unfortunately.

With 25k a year, I'm still looking at 18k a year in tuition/fees along with COL. That is still relatively steep, but I really like Tulane. Not sure what I'm going to end up doing.

Actually, $18,000 per year is really cheap for law school. Especially at a place like Tulane. If there are no stipulations, I'd consider it. Considerations make it tougher to consider, but I'd still think that $18,000 is ridiculously cheap for law school.

NYC KID

Postby NYC KID » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:22 am

Got dinged via status checker. Was a long-shot to begin with. Best of luck to all.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:10 am

BearsGrl wrote:
Dash41 wrote:Just found out I got the 25,000 a year scholarship, which is good, but what I expected. Didn't get the 30,000 unfortunately.

Actually, $18,000 per year is really cheap for law school. Especially at a place like Tulane. If there are no stipulations, I'd consider it. Considerations make it tougher to consider, but I'd still think that $18,000 is ridiculously cheap for law school.

Pretty positive I have the 3.0 stipulations like everyone else, which I think is around top 75%? Someone correct me if I'm wrong regarding the 75%.

$18,000 per year is good I suppose. And I really like the sports law program. I'm probably going to end up deciding between Tulane/SMU (if I get in, and I predict I'll get the same 25k like from Tulane)/full ride at Stetson and Pacific. I'll just have to weigh the financial benefits of each.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Dash41 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

Pretty positive I have the 3.0 stipulations like everyone else, which I think is around top 75%? Someone correct me if I'm wrong regarding the 75%.

$18,000 per year is good I suppose. And I really like the sports law program. I'm probably going to end up deciding between Tulane/SMU (if I get in, and I predict I'll get the same 25k like from Tulane)/full ride at Stetson and Pacific. I'll just have to weigh the financial benefits of each.

As someone that has worked in the sports industry, don't choose a law school based on it offering a law program with your expertise. At least not when it is about sports law. The sports world is more about networking with industry professionals than about where you went to school. Where you went to school will obviously help, but I'd be less worried about debt and more worried about what jobs you will get during your time there. You need to worry about whether going to X school will allow you the interview opportunity at X sports organization? Working in sports is a lot of word-of-mouth stuff too. It's very rare to get a job through a website. That's just the nature of the beast.

Go with what is going to be most cost-effective for you, but also understand that the legal industry is way down in terms of its offerings. A lot of the jobs available are compliance associates versus legal associates for a law firm. That's not to say that you won't work as an attorney for X law firm. But don't choose a school based on a highly skilled industry if you have no prior ties to that industry.
Last edited by BearsGrl on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:37 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Dash41 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

As someone that has worked in the sports industry, don't choose a law school based on it offering a law program with your expertise. At least not when it is about sports law. The sports world is more about networking with industry professionals than about where you went to school. Where you went to school will obviously help, but I'd be less worried about debt and more worried about what jobs you will get during your time there. You need to worry about will going to X school allow you the interview opportunity at X sports organization? Working in sports is a lot of word-of-mouth stuff too. It's very rare to get a job through a website. That's just the nature of the beast.

Go with what is going to be most cost-effective for but, but also understand that the legal industry is way down in terms of its offerings. A lot of the jobs available are compliance associates versus legal associates for a law firm. That's not to say that you won't work as an attorney for X law firm. But don't choose a school based on a highly skilled industry if you have no prior ties to that industry.

I already have all the connections I need to get my foot in the door. I don't need my law school to gain access to employers. It will still be up to me to convince the employer to hire me, but I'll at least have the opportunity to talk/interview with them already, even if I'm last in my class. Where I rank in law school is relatively irrelevant to what I know. That isn't my concern with law school. I'm going to law school explicitly to become an expert in sports law, which is why Tulane might be my #1 choice. I just have to decide is the extra debt worth it for a better experience when it comes to that.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Dash41 wrote: I'm going to law school explicitly to become an expert in sports law

LOL

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Actually, $18,000 per year is really cheap for law school. Especially at a place like Tulane. If there are no stipulations, I'd consider it. Considerations make it tougher to consider, but I'd still think that $18,000 is ridiculously cheap for law school.[/quote]

$18,000 per year is good I suppose. And I really like the sports law program. I'm probably going to end up deciding between Tulane/SMU (if I get in, and I predict I'll get the same 25k like from Tulane)/full ride at Stetson and Pacific. I'll just have to weigh the financial benefits of each.[/quote]

As someone that has worked in the sports industry, don't choose a law school based on it offering a law program with your expertise. At least not when it is about sports law. The sports world is more about networking with industry professionals than about where you went to school. Where you went to school will obviously help, but I'd be less worried about debt and more worried about what jobs you will get during your time there. You need to worry about will going to X school allow you the interview opportunity at X sports organization? Working in sports is a lot of word-of-mouth stuff too. It's very rare to get a job through a website. That's just the nature of the beast.

Go with what is going to be most cost-effective for but, but also understand that the legal industry is way down in terms of its offerings. A lot of the jobs available are compliance associates versus legal associates for a law firm. That's not to say that you won't work as an attorney for X law firm. But don't choose a school based on a highly skilled industry if you have no prior ties to that industry.[/quote]

I already have all the connections I need to get my foot in the door. I don't need my law school to gain access to employers. It will still be up to me to convince the employer to hire me, but I'll at least have the opportunity to talk/interview with them already, even if I'm last in my class. Where I rank in law school is relatively irrelevant to what I know. That isn't my concern with law school. I'm going to law school explicitly to become an expert in sports law, which is why Tulane might be my #1 choice. I just have to decide is the extra debt worth it for a better experience when it comes to that.[/quote]

I would strongly suggest that if you can afford Tulane, then to go to Tulane. But it will be more important to specialize in a general business concentration than sports law. I really am not trying to come off as offensive, but working for a sports entity is multi-faceted and less concentrated on the sports law side of stuff. What a Tulane sports law track will provide you (but you could gain by your own research) will be direct access to sports business case law (as well as juxtaposing this next to general business case law).

But if you already have a resume that you feel is confident in the sports world, go with less debt.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Actually, $18,000 per year is really cheap for law school. Especially at a place like Tulane. If there are no stipulations, I'd consider it. Considerations make it tougher to consider, but I'd still think that $18,000 is ridiculously cheap for law school.

$18,000 per year is good I suppose. And I really like the sports law program. I'm probably going to end up deciding between Tulane/SMU (if I get in, and I predict I'll get the same 25k like from Tulane)/full ride at Stetson and Pacific. I'll just have to weigh the financial benefits of each.[/quote]

Go with what is going to be most cost-effective for but, but also understand that the legal industry is way down in terms of its offerings. A lot of the jobs available are compliance associates versus legal associates for a law firm. That's not to say that you won't work as an attorney for X law firm. But don't choose a school based on a highly skilled industry if you have no prior ties to that industry.[/quote]

I already have all the connections I need to get my foot in the door. I don't need my law school to gain access to employers. It will still be up to me to convince the employer to hire me, but I'll at least have the opportunity to talk/interview with them already, even if I'm last in my class. Where I rank in law school is relatively irrelevant to what I know. That isn't my concern with law school. I'm going to law school explicitly to become an expert in sports law, which is why Tulane might be my #1 choice. I just have to decide is the extra debt worth it for a better experience when it comes to that.[/quote]

I would strongly suggest that if you can afford Tulane, then to go to Tulane. But it will be more important to specialize in a general business concentration than sports law. I really am not trying to come off as offensive, but working for a sports entity is multi-faceted and less concentrated on the sports law side of stuff. What a Tulane sports law track will provide you (but you could gain by your own research) will be direct access to sports business case law (as well as juxtaposing this next to general business case law).

But if you already have a resume that you feel is confident in the sports world, go with less debt.[/quote]

PMed.

tyro

Postby tyro » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:07 pm

Just throwing in my rejection. 3.5/162 from a different region but did the Why Tulane essay.

OliveSnook

Postby OliveSnook » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:32 pm

tyro wrote:Just throwing in my rejection. 3.5/162 from a different region but did the Why Tulane essay.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I have about the same scores, but URM. Tulane is my top choice. Looking forward to my rejection :(

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:20 pm

tyro wrote:Just throwing in my rejection. 3.5/162 from a different region but did the Why Tulane essay.

Holy crap I'm screwed. :(

mxmatt137

Postby mxmatt137 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:23 pm

Admitted via status checker. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back!

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:27 pm

mxmatt137 wrote:Admitted via status checker. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back!

+1

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:42 pm

mxmatt137 wrote:Admitted via status checker. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back!

When did you go complete? What did your status change to?

Congrats! :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”